Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Silent Hunter

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Silent Hunter Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/3/2008 4:36:38 AM   
Greybriar

Thanks for the info, mlc82.

I was hoping for an official patch, but I suppose that's asking too much.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to mikul82)
Post #: 31
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/4/2008 1:39:28 AM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

4 is a big improvement over 3 with regard to tedium. While sailing in and out of harbor at slow speed/time is picturesque it is tedious when you have only a little time to invest and want to get into action quickly. 4 makes sailing in and out of port optional. 4 also segregates the crew into three shifts and automatically rotates them, so you don't have to worry about over fatiguing one group during an extended compressed time run to your patrol sector. 4 also has way more interesting patrol missions, especially if you start in the Phillipines because you have quick access to heavily trafficked routes.

Not to mention a few bugs in SH3 that would annoy me enough to quit for awhile at a time. Such as raging storms that would last your whole patrol once they started, and NCOs not switching between diesel & electric engine rooms whenever surfacing/diving. Micromanaging the crew was a pain even when modded. I'm glad a lot of these complaints were fixed in SH4.

Besides, someone is working on an Atlantic KM mod for SH4 along with all the other guys working hard on adding stuff. At ~$30 for the game & expansion in the gold pack, it's an easy decision.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 32
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/4/2008 3:26:56 AM   
BoredStiff

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlc82

You can install SH3 from the DVD, DO NOT RUN IT YET (as this starts up the starforce installation), patch it with the official patch, then just download the "patch we shall not name on the forum", take the DVD out, aplly said "patch", and run the game SF free.

I bought this game back before I even knew what StarForce was, and it jacked my DVD drive up completely until I reformatted the whole computer. I refuse now to buy ANYTHING with any intrusive DRM on it at all, Starforce, Securom, or whatever, but was already stuck with this one. Needless to say, the workaround above will allow those of use who legally bought the game to play it without putting our PCs at risk.

OMG, I have this game, but haven't installed it yet on my new puter - thanks for the warning.
I'm thinking of simply just getting SH4 - does it have an intrusive copy protection scheme as well?

BoredStiff

[Link and Avatar removed by Moderator]

(in reply to mikul82)
Post #: 33
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/4/2008 5:55:16 AM   
JudgeDredd

Not that I know of....was playing it without the DVD last night.

However, from what I remember, they did screw up the DRM on it as the DRM, on release, made some peoples games mess up graphically. When these people complained, they were verbally abused as being pirates. Eventually, UBI came clean and said there was a bug which may make it sound like some people would have a pirate copy.

As long as you patch it to 1.4 (or 1.04) you should be ok.

(in reply to BoredStiff)
Post #: 34
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/4/2008 3:29:48 PM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: BoredStiff

I'm thinking of simply just getting SH4 - does it have an intrusive copy protection scheme as well?

No, not anymore. The original version did but they removed all copy protection in the 2nd patch. You don't even need the DVD in the drive.

(in reply to BoredStiff)
Post #: 35
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/4/2008 3:56:49 PM   
Terminus

It's a joke game, this one. It claims to be "historically accurate" but it's not even in the same time zone as "historically accurate". It's so easy to do this kind of research, so there's no excuse for this sort of outright lying. Bunch of lazy, lying weasels on the design team and evil Frenchmen (redundant, I know) at Ubi...

Case in point is this IJN task force coming towards me in the Macassar Strait in January 1942:

Three Jap CV's, together with three Jap CVE's (there was ONE CVE in existence at the time), and a bunch of cruisers (in 1944/45 configuration) and destroyers, along with what looked like an oiler.

No. Okay? Just no.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Terminus -- 10/4/2008 6:19:40 PM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 36
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/4/2008 4:13:42 PM   
BoredStiff

This is SH4?

BoredStiff

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 37
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/4/2008 4:17:33 PM   
Terminus

Yes.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to BoredStiff)
Post #: 38
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/4/2008 5:49:34 PM   
andym

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

4 is a big improvement over 3 with regard to tedium. While sailing in and out of harbor at slow speed/time is picturesque it is tedious when you have only a little time to invest and want to get into action quickly. 4 makes sailing in and out of port optional. 4 also segregates the crew into three shifts and automatically rotates them, so you don't have to worry about over fatiguing one group during an extended compressed time run to your patrol sector. 4 also has way more interesting patrol missions, especially if you start in the Phillipines because you have quick access to heavily trafficked routes.

Not to mention a few bugs in SH3 that would annoy me enough to quit for awhile at a time. Such as raging storms that would last your whole patrol once they started, and NCOs not switching between diesel & electric engine rooms whenever surfacing/diving. Micromanaging the crew was a pain even when modded. I'm glad a lot of these complaints were fixed in SH4.

Besides, someone is working on an Atlantic KM mod for SH4 along with all the other guys working hard on adding stuff. At ~$30 for the game & expansion in the gold pack, it's an easy decision.

All of the above can be remedied by installing SH3 Commander mod,the storm issue has been sorted in GWX 2.1and you can turn off the Crew management with SH3 Commander.

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

Post #: 39
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/7/2008 10:28:31 PM   
mikul82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

Thanks for the info, mlc82.

I was hoping for an official patch, but I suppose that's asking too much.

One thing I forgot to add- when installing, let the game setup run and install, and afterward, DO NOT INSTALL GAMESHADOW WHEN IT PROMPTS YOU TO! cntrl-alt-delete to the taskmanager, go under process, and manually end everything from the setup exe, anything related to gameshadow, and msiexec.exe (or something close to that). The game should still install just fine, then take out the DVD, patch it officially, then add the aformentioned unnamed "patch" last.

I also recommend adding the awesome Grey Wolves mod after that, but it's up to you ;)

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 40
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/7/2008 10:51:52 PM   
Hertston

Heck, just forget the whole SH3 v. SH4 debate and play Dangerous Waters instead. Akula hunting in a Seawolf is much more fun than all that diesel chugging around looking for convoys anyway

(in reply to mikul82)
Post #: 41
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/9/2008 12:38:32 PM   
Greybriar

Thanks again, mlc82.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 42
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/10/2008 1:07:13 AM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Heck, just forget the whole SH3 v. SH4 debate and play Dangerous Waters instead. Akula hunting in a Seawolf is much more fun than all that diesel chugging around looking for convoys anyway

Yep, good game. I wish the gfx weren't so bad on newer Nvidia cards but no biggie. I just wish it supported widescreen, though.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 43
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/10/2008 5:38:27 PM   
Johnus

I have the boxed SH3 (two copies actually) and never had any problems. How would I know if it has Starforce ??

Post #: 44
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/10/2008 10:22:41 PM   
Jevhaddah

Pop into device manager via system in the control panel.
Select view Show hidden devices

then scroll down to Non Plug and Play Drivers

It should be listed there.

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to Johnus)
Post #: 45
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/10/2008 11:44:45 PM   
Johnus

Jev:

It's there. What do I do ?? As I have said, I don't know of any problems to date.

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 46
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/11/2008 12:05:50 AM   
JudgeDredd

Hey Jev....where the hell have you been??

Coming up Sottie Land in December and then again in February for the Wales Scotland rugby game.

(in reply to Johnus)
Post #: 47
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/11/2008 3:45:27 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Johnnie

Jev:

It's there. What do I do ?? As I have said, I don't know of any problems to date.

Are you near a high window? Either throw yourself or the computer out of it.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Johnus)
Post #: 48
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/11/2008 4:03:47 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

Jev:

Seriously...if you are not seeing any problems with your system, then don't worry about it.

I noticed a rapid decline in DVD burner speed, coupled with system slow down and (what I thought at the time) a bad batch of DVD media which I chucked away, along with what I thought was a failing DVD drive....only to find out it was Starforce. So a game with Stafroce cost me $60 + another $60 for wasted DVD drive (which I now know probably wasn't faulty) and media.

And the buggers refused to say there software was culpable...even though when I removed Starforce, my system was "righted".

But I realise it wasn't with all makes or models of drives...so if you are having no problems, I'd not worry about it. Just know that there are issues...it could save you over a months gaming time trying to figure out what the hell was going wrong with our system (as I did).

(in reply to Johnus)
Post #: 49
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/11/2008 6:11:38 AM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

Jev:

There's a Starforce removal tool program you can download.

Uninstall SH3. Use the Starforce removal tool (preferably in safe mode). Reinstall SH3 but don't run it yet. You'll have to get the NoCD cracked files off the internet and copy those over the old ones. After that, you'll be fine.

Even if you only use the starforce removal tool, starforce reinstalls itself every time you run a game with it - unless that's been taken out (cracked).

SF screwed up one of my DVD-RW drives in the past so use it at your own risk. I didn't mention where to get the crack because it's frowned upon and would get edited out.

(in reply to Johnus)
Post #: 50
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/11/2008 9:02:12 AM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

There's a Starforce removal tool program you can download....

The StarForce Removal Tool utility can be downloaded from this site.

Post #: 51
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/11/2008 11:13:52 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

But I realise it wasn't with all makes or models of drives...so if you are having no problems, I'd not worry about it. Just know that there are issues...it could save you over a months gaming time trying to figure out what the hell was going wrong with our system (as I did).

That's the point, and indeed why the BS from Starforce and their apologists annoys me so much. No, it doesn't 'break' hardware, which is why nobody was ever going to win their ridiculous challenge to get $1,000 by going to Moscow and showing them that it could, which completely ignored the real problem. What Starforce does do (or at least did do, can't comment on recent versions), with a multitude of hardware and software combinations (and not just those with CD emulators and such) is make folks think their drives are broken because they no longer do what they are supposed to do. They might not work at all, or more usually work some of the time, the most common symptom being that your burn failure rate goes through the roof. In other words Starfarce didn't 'break' one of my drives, but did result in me replacing it. If people know what's causing the problem they can just uninstall but that does require a certain amount of gaming savvy. I am also highly suspicious of the fact that while there is a removal tool it is exclusively available from one source which suggests it could be withdrawn at any time. It's therefore probably wise to ensure an updated version is available before installing any new game that is Starfarce protected. SH3 should present no problems, though.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 10/11/2008 11:14:34 AM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 52
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/14/2008 1:55:06 PM   
Jevhaddah

Hey JD I reached the venerable age of 50 in August and celebrated by catching a rare bacterial pneumonia from which I am still recovering.

She said she was clean too

As others have said there is a Starfarce removal tool, but to be honest I just use the NOCD erm patch so that I can play my legitimate version of SH3. I know these things are frowned upon but I was having great problems with Starfarce and as I had paid for the game I was damn well sure I was gonna play it

I also use the GWX mod which is currently at 2.1 it makes ALL the difference when I sit in the dark with the headphones on being a sad git

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 53
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/14/2008 2:41:35 PM   
JudgeDredd

There's quite an explosion over at SimHQ on the DCS:Black Shark forum.

DCS have decided in their infinite wisdom to use Starforce, even knowing that some (alot/most/some) of the community refuse to buy it.

If a topic goes up on the DCS forums about Starforce or asking why DCS use it or why they would shaft customers, it's immediately deleted. It's their forum, they can do what they like. Seems to me though that they are concerned that if people know what Starforce used to do, they may not buy it.

Loads of people over at SimHQ are saying "Yeah. but it's in it's "x" version"...I keep telling them, the way that company (Starforce) conducted their business and the problems I had, I wouldn't give any game company that supported them a single penny...regardless of how much I was looking forward to the game.

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 54
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/15/2008 4:10:24 PM   
Grell

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

TBH after WitP i dont think any other Pacific game will do , well other than AE ofcourse!

Id rather play as KM so SH3 seems the weapon of choice for those in the know

Thanks

I really liked SHIII but I hated SHIV.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 55
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/15/2008 11:34:44 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Wow...that Star Force thing goes beyond merely annoying into the get-even-at-all-costs category.

I would definitely blacklist any company that snuck something like that into a product I bought.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 56
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/15/2008 11:45:29 PM   
GaryChildress

I ended up buying Codename: Panzers with the Starforce protection on it. I have experienced a little quirky behavior with some pop up warnings a few times but other than that everything seems to be working OK. I've copied music onto discs no problem etc. Maybe it varies between computer the effects of Starforce.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 57
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/15/2008 11:53:18 PM   
BoredStiff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Wow...that Star Force thing goes beyond merely annoying into the get-even-at-all-costs category.

I would definitely blacklist any company that snuck something like that into a product I bought.

I recently ended up buying a new desktop, partly because my CD burner wouldn't work anymore. Granted, the computer was over five years old, so it was time anyway, but if it hadn't been for the fact that I couldn't make CD archives anymore, I might have used it for another year.

It was only because of this thread that I found out about Starforce. I don't know for sure whether it's on my old computer, but I bet it is, because the symptoms described uptopic are pretty much what I experienced. I still have the machine, and I might fire it up again one of these days and see if Starforce is on there.

Starforce was on my laptop as well (also via Silent Hunter III). I seem to remember having burner problems with it too, which is why toward the end (prior to buying the new desktop) I merely used the laptop to archive my stuff without ever actually burning anything to disk.

So where are all the lawyers in this so-called nation-of-lawyers? Seems like a class action suit is in order, big time. The people who foisted this thing on consumers need to be run out of the software business for good.

BoredStiff

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 58
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/16/2008 12:10:33 AM   
Arctic Blast

Already happened, BoredStiff. Ubisoft was sued over Starforce being on their titles, they lost, they pulled it off their games, and every single Western software company did the same. The only time you really encounter it anymore is with games from Eastern Europe (though most use Western distributors who replace it with something else) or on older titles released prior to it being blacklisted.

As for SecuROM, well, there's a class action suit being launched against EA right now over it's use in Spore, so we'll see what ends up happening there.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to BoredStiff)
Post #: 59
RE: Silent Hunter - 10/16/2008 12:22:44 AM   
BoredStiff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

As for SecuROM, well, there's a class action suit being launched against EA right now over it's use in Spore, so we'll see what ends up happening there.

Any wargame titles that you know of that uses SecuROM? Can it be detected in the device manager as well, like Starforce?

BoredStiff

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Silent Hunter Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI