Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 7/1/2008 1:43:07 PM   
rhohltjr

Dan,

To what extent will AE be further moddable. It looks like AE will be pretty complete right out of the 'box', but since there are so many creative fans of Witp.... who knows. Aside from the engine of AE changing, are the other details of AE remaining similar to Witp?

In other words, will some of the art or sounds found on Spookys site for Witp still be usable in AE?

rhohltjr

My e-troops don't unload OVER THE BEACH anymore, see:
Amphibious Assault at Kota Bharu
TF 85 troops securing a beachhead at Kota Bharu, 51,75
whew! I still feel better.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 811
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 7/3/2008 1:06:29 AM   
khyberbill

Thanks, I will give that a try. Still seems cumbersome compared to the old War.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 812
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 7/3/2008 2:13:21 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

Thanks, I will give that a try. Still seems cumbersome compared to the old War.

Don't agree at all.

First, the N key is already used for something else (naval air groups). And "." is as easy to hit, being right there on the bottom key row.

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 813
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 7/3/2008 2:15:45 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhohltjr

Dan,

To what extent will AE be further moddable. It looks like AE will be pretty complete right out of the 'box', but since there are so many creative fans of Witp.... who knows. Aside from the engine of AE changing, are the other details of AE remaining similar to Witp?

In other words, will some of the art or sounds found on Spookys site for Witp still be usable in AE?

rhohltjr

Am I Dan??

If so, I can say that the art and sounds are still externalized so they can be moded. I can not say if the old WITP art/sounds will all work with AE.

Now before everyone piles on and asks for more data, I need to point out that no details are available until release.

(in reply to rhohltjr)
Post #: 814
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 7/3/2008 5:04:21 PM   
khyberbill

That works somewhat well. Not quite as smooth as the old WITP, the one with two week turns. But it helps alot. I get interrupted frequently when making a move and sometimes forget to give an order here or there. Has caused some disasters.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 815
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 7/4/2008 2:16:00 PM   
rhohltjr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Am I Dan??

I'm fraid so.
Thanks for the reply Don/Dan.

My e-troops don't unload OVER THE BEACH anymore, see:
Amphibious Assault at Kota Bharu
TF 85 troops securing a beachhead at Kota Bharu, 51,75
whew! I still feel better.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 816
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 7/8/2008 4:52:19 PM   
Heeward

Dates and Sorting

I would be nice for reinforcements we could view a the date of arrival & number ETA.  Hornet arrives March 13, 1942 / 95 days Panama City

For the aircraft replacement screen I would like to set a default to sort by type and/or nationality vs availability date.

The Wake

(in reply to rhohltjr)
Post #: 817
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 7/17/2008 10:53:20 AM   
traskott

A question about mods (RHS, Iron Storm and so ): Will they work or had to be rebuild from scratch ? 

(in reply to Heeward)
Post #: 818
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 7/17/2008 12:34:24 PM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: traskott

A question about mods (RHS, Iron Storm and so ): Will they work or had to be rebuild from scratch ?

rebuilt

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 819
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 7/17/2008 3:30:18 PM   
jwilkerson

Lots of cutting and pasting from excel version of old scenario to new will accelerate the process, we do have new version of witploadAE. But there are lots of new pieces of data in AE and there is no way to "auto populate" these fields, this will have to be done in the editor or excel.

James (author of editorX) has written us a whole new editor for AE and most of us can hardly image going back to the stock editor, the AE editor is much easier to use.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 820
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 7/18/2008 10:34:58 AM   
traskott

Thank you very much . I can't wait to put my hands in a new version of WitpEditorX ( great job, btw ). 

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 821
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 7/22/2008 2:03:10 AM   
ltfightr

Has there been any thought about changing the victory point cost of ships vs planes ect. I have always thought that ships were undervalued in the game. I just dont get that an AP might be worth 15 points or less. How many artillery pieces could be made with the steel of even a medium sized ship? Only 15?  I think both sides would be less likley to do crazy things in an ahistoric manner is the VP's for ships were multiplied by 10.  Also I have alway said that the Number one problem for this game is the fact that we have no cure for hindsight.

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 822
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 7/22/2008 2:14:43 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhohltjr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Am I Dan??

I'm fraid so.
Thanks for the reply Don/Dan.

Funny, I knew a guy named Dan Bowman, so my first inclination has always been to call Don, Dan as well. Fortunately I've so far always caught myself before making the mistake.

(in reply to rhohltjr)
Post #: 823
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 9/2/2008 1:33:42 AM   
madgamer2

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Joe, will you be doing a new manual? If so, I might volunteer to index it. I've indexed two published books, so I have some experience with professional indexing. I prepared an index for the original manual, and David Heath expressed some interest in publishing it, but it never saw the light of day.

Yes the manual is being reworked. We can talk off line about indexing, one issue will be total number of pages. Every page of index added means a page of content must go. Life is full of trade offs!

Or we could do separate file for index that would not be in the manual but would be separate, that would permit index with no loss of manual pages.

We can discuss, send me PM.

Ok guys I have to head to the day job, but I will check back in at lunch and try to catch up!

As a hair brained thought perhaps you might consider having the index in an online down loadable & printable file for those who want it could then get it.

Madgamer

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 824
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 9/16/2008 10:43:01 PM   
Splinterhead

I have acouple of questions about the editor:

1. In AE stock extra units are received if the US, India, Australia, Japan, or Vietnam are invaded. Can units be created in the editor that only activate by triggered events? For instance a squadron of Fairey Battles released only if Australia is invaded?

2. Can units be set to resize in the editor. 12 to 16 aircraft, for example.

3. If the answer to 2 is yes, can the trigger be time set (example: the Aussie Battles arrive with a strength of 4 ac and unit expands to 16 in 2 days, to give the player a chance to decide if he wants to deplete his pilot pool to bring a provisional squadron of obsolete bombers up to strength) or is the resizing totally date based?

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 825
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 9/17/2008 12:00:20 AM   
Andy Mac

Unfortunately the reinforcements in case of invasion is LCU only so no air units arrive if the criteria are met its on the list but not in yet an probably not in release.

Resizing of air units is possible

(in reply to Splinterhead)
Post #: 826
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 9/23/2008 3:58:42 AM   
Knavey

And made it to the end of this one also!  Found out some stuff I did not know...like using the >< to scroll through the TFs.  Woot!

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 827
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 10/7/2008 4:04:13 PM   
Ron Saueracker

My beloved Naval thread is locked! Scata malacca!

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 828
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 10/7/2008 10:38:31 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

My beloved Naval thread is locked! Scata malacca!

Ron again. Did the statue of limitations run out?

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 829
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 10/8/2008 12:05:46 AM   
witpqs

More likely he was chased across another border.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 830
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 10/19/2008 8:01:06 PM   
topeverest

Do we have an updated release date for this product?

Andy

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 831
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 10/19/2008 8:41:11 PM   
jwilkerson

Well actually we cannot either have or not have an updated release date since Matrix doesn't announce release dates in advance. The "expectation" was set for "summer 08" ... and to my knowledge has not been reset.

We wound up having to rewrite the (strategic level) AI processor in order to get it to do what we were trying to tell it to do. That has taken a good bit of energy - we are on the backside of the slope on this issue - but are tightening things up and continuing to test, test test.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 832
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 10/19/2008 10:25:24 PM   
LTCMTS

Since the Naval Thread is locked a couple more questions.

1 - The US Navy did not have large gun HE shells after 1915. HC shells able to be used as COM or HE were not introduced until in late 1942. Some 6in guns had COM shells and AA guns used their AA COM shells which had nose and base fuzes for bombardment. Will USN land bombardments be reduced in effectiveness to reflect this. Even with the HC, US shore bombardment could be less effective because the HC shell when used as a COM shell for hardened structures covered the nose fuze, which still initiated when it struck hard surfaces w/o penetration. Also the HC shells weighed less than the AP shells. The 16in HC weighed a nominal 1,900lbs against the 2,700lb and 2,240lbs APHE shells.

2 - How will the FC for the various ships be adjusted? The IJN may have had heavy guns that ranged to 36kyds and more, but w/o aerial spotting, the max effective engagement range was around 24kyds. Night combat effective range did not exceed 10kyds for all IJN ships except the 8in cruisers which had illum rounds that could range to 15-17kyds. The IJN did not have effective FC radar until the Type 22 10cm radars were moded in Oct 1944. Is aerial spotting possible? In late 1943, US fast BBs could "bracket" a fleeing IJN DD with HC at 39kyds. The RN, however, could not match the performance of the Mk.8 FCR, much less the Mk.13 until 1945.

3 - Penetration performance. Will it be adjusted for type of shell? The IJN Type 91 "diving" shell lost around 10% theoretical performance against vertical targets and increased by 5% against horizontal targets. The RN 8in Mk.VIII used SAPHE, which had about 60% performance of a similar APHE shell of the same weight and velocity. The USN had Special COM and the RN, CPC or SAPC shells which had partial piercing caps.

4 - Effect - Will US torpedoes reflect the changes in warhead size (the Mk.13 went from 497lbs to 600lbs in 1942) and for torpedoes, mines and DCs, the change in warhead content, TORPEX vs TNT (TORPEX is 40-50% more effective) in 1943 for the US and 1944 for the RN?

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 833
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 10/20/2008 12:06:35 AM   
Nomad

#4 can be done since they have indicated that there is a huge increase in slots for everything. I think that torpedos, mines and DC could all have upgrades to reflect TORPEX vs TNT.
However, I do not know if they will do that for the stock release, but a mod could change things.

< Message edited by Nomad -- 10/20/2008 12:07:09 AM >

(in reply to LTCMTS)
Post #: 834
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 10/20/2008 12:42:31 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: LTCMTS

Since the Naval Thread is locked a couple more questions.

1 - The US Navy did not have large gun HE shells after 1915. HC shells able to be used as COM or HE were not introduced until in late 1942. Some 6in guns had COM shells and AA guns used their AA COM shells which had nose and base fuzes for bombardment. Will USN land bombardments be reduced in effectiveness to reflect this. Even with the HC, US shore bombardment could be less effective because the HC shell when used as a COM shell for hardened structures covered the nose fuze, which still initiated when it struck hard surfaces w/o penetration. Also the HC shells weighed less than the AP shells. The 16in HC weighed a nominal 1,900lbs against the 2,700lb and 2,240lbs APHE shells.

2 - How will the FC for the various ships be adjusted? The IJN may have had heavy guns that ranged to 36kyds and more, but w/o aerial spotting, the max effective engagement range was around 24kyds. Night combat effective range did not exceed 10kyds for all IJN ships except the 8in cruisers which had illum rounds that could range to 15-17kyds. The IJN did not have effective FC radar until the Type 22 10cm radars were moded in Oct 1944. Is aerial spotting possible? In late 1943, US fast BBs could "bracket" a fleeing IJN DD with HC at 39kyds. The RN, however, could not match the performance of the Mk.8 FCR, much less the Mk.13 until 1945.

3 - Penetration performance. Will it be adjusted for type of shell? The IJN Type 91 "diving" shell lost around 10% theoretical performance against vertical targets and increased by 5% against horizontal targets. The RN 8in Mk.VIII used SAPHE, which had about 60% performance of a similar APHE shell of the same weight and velocity. The USN had Special COM and the RN, CPC or SAPC shells which had partial piercing caps.

4 - Effect - Will US torpedoes reflect the changes in warhead size (the Mk.13 went from 497lbs to 600lbs in 1942) and for torpedoes, mines and DCs, the change in warhead content, TORPEX vs TNT (TORPEX is 40-50% more effective) in 1943 for the US and 1944 for the RN?

WITP (and hence AE) has its lowest level of weapons representation at the "device" level. Sometimes a "device" could be thought of as "ammunition" like in the case of bombs .. but for "guns" the device represents the gun ... a certain model on a certain platform ... with a certain elevation etc. For "guns" the ammunition is not separately modeled .. so abstract values such as "penetration" and "effects" are used instead.

As Nomad says, your #4 could be handled by a modder.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to LTCMTS)
Post #: 835
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 10/20/2008 5:38:14 AM   
bradfordkay

How will Kablammo (tm) be handled in AE? 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 836
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 10/20/2008 5:48:34 AM   
jwilkerson

er - what would that be?

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 837
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 10/20/2008 1:45:11 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: LTCMTS

50% more effective in blast radius or in effective warhead weight? The former is an effective increase in flooded volume by about 50%, while the latter is a 14% increase.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to LTCMTS)
Post #: 838
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 10/20/2008 3:27:18 PM   
Elouda

The USN Mk13 saw an increase from 401lbs of TNT to 600lbs of Torpex (~850lbs TNT equivalent) in '42/'43.

The IJN Type 91 also saw an increase from 331lbs (Mod 1) and 452lbs (Mod 2), to the later 529lbs (Mod 3) in '42, and 679lbs (Mod 4S) and 926lbs (Mod 7S) in '44.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 839
RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread - 10/20/2008 6:35:59 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elouda

The USN Mk13 saw an increase from 401lbs of TNT to 600lbs of Torpex (~850lbs TNT equivalent) in '42/'43.

The IJN Type 91 also saw an increase from 331lbs (Mod 1) and 452lbs (Mod 2), to the later 529lbs (Mod 3) in '42, and 679lbs (Mod 4S) and 926lbs (Mod 7S) in '44.

The former is a 30% increase in flooded length. For the Japanese, Mod2/Mod1 = +10%, Mod3/Mod1 = +20%, Mod45/Mod1 = + 30%, and Mod75/Mod1 = +40%.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Elouda)
Post #: 840
Page:   <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition General Thread Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI