Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: March 1-2, 1944

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: March 1-2, 1944 Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: March 1-2, 1944 - 10/7/2008 10:50:32 PM   
Q-Ball

Actually I'm a JFB, but I have no problem with LBA LRCAP over some CV's. It's a matter of opinion I guess.

Your navy looks completely the opposite of mine. I am very short on CV's, with only 3 CVs, the 2 Junyos (CVMs?), and 3 CVL's left. I still have 10 BBs though, so I have a quite credible surface force, despite engaging in many surface actions.

IN 1944, I almost wonder if having BB's is better, because anything that flies can just get chewed up by Uber-Cap, but 10 BB's can still ruin the USN's day. You can't Uber-Cap a 18.1 in shell!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1111
Game, Set, Match... - 10/7/2008 11:33:49 PM   
John 3rd

Dan continues with his insanity by choosing to ADVANCE his attack onto Johore Bharu! I am ready to drink heavily but since I am now on probation THAT option is gone...

The war has been lost in CBI for six months. It is now a reality...

Attachment (1)

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 1112
Venting - 10/7/2008 11:38:43 PM   
John 3rd

I have asked many times before but WHERE do all these Indian, Chinese, British troops come from.  I have lost the entire CBI Theatre to a combined force of nearly 1.25 million enemy troops.  This is not being extreme!  I have nearly 15 Inf Div fighting a war that is totally lost.

Time to start a serious evacuation.  I can pull everything back in Indochina and Burma to Saigon and withdraw through there.  I will soon be cutoff in losing Johore Bharu and I guess I will have to withdraw NORTH to Saigon that way because Singapore will fall a few days after Johore Bharu.

Feeling pretty dispirited right now.

I was so proud of holding his attack at Malacca and think I have chance to dirve him into the sea.  That is not the reality now...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1113
RE: March 1-2, 1944 - 10/7/2008 11:40:38 PM   
John 3rd

Q-Ball---I KNOW your a JFB and I think you are right in that it is far better to have your Surface Forces then Carrier Forces at this point in the war. I still have 8 CV, 5 CVL, and 5 CVE and they are basically useless against CAP.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 1114
March 4, 1944 - 10/8/2008 8:11:19 PM   
John 3rd

The game continues to be unpredictable in any way, shape or form! 

Johore Bharu
The Japanese scratch together a STF of 3 CA, 1 CL, and 8DD.  It runs into a STF of CA Sussex, 2 CL, and 11 DD.  A brawl ensues where the Japanese lose YET ANOTHER pair of DDs and the Allies lose lose 1 DD, CA Sussex is hit by 2 TT, and 5 more DD take serious damage.  I have CA Ashigara and 3 DD disband into Singapore to take care of them.  Only Ashigara has any real damage (took a Torp).

I have two ineffective raids hit the area during the day and then SURPRISE my paltry ground troops manage to hold against a Shock Attack!  A small miracle considering it was an Aviation Regiment and Parachute Regiment located there.  Dan has an Indian Division and Chinese Corps there.

I should have a Mortar Regiment and Engineer Regiment get the Johore Bharu tomorrow.  An additional Artillery Regiment and beat-up Infantry Division will arrive the day after that.  MAYBE I can hold...

I really need to NOT flail with my Surface Forces so I decide to wait a day before making another sortie to Johore Bharu.  BB Yamato and her TF arrive at Singapore on the 5th and the Ise/Hyuga TF arrive on the 6th.  Those combined forces SHOULD be able to tackle anything the Brits have left.

OTHER Areas:
1.  SE Pacific-My CVEs have sunk a pair of AKs in their foray.  They are moving slowly towards Rarotonga and will then head for Suva. 

2.  US CVs!  The American CVs put up an appearance hitting a small convoy leaving Paramushiro Jima.  I lose 2 AK/2 AP.  The US TF is about 5 hexes due south of PJ.

3.  Malacca Forts rise to 0/87%.  Should hit 1 tomorrow and be at 2 within a few days days.

4.  A convoy departs Brunei for Japan with 150,000 Oil and 80,000 Resources.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1115
RE: March 4, 1944 - 10/9/2008 4:15:08 AM   
JeffroK

John,

You have asked why the British didnt achieve more succes IRL than they did, but in this GAME, the US have occupied Sakhalin Is and invaded Hokkaido in 1943.

Why didnt they achive more IRL?

WITP is very poor at recreating the effects of land campaigns. it allows the japanese to push through, or sail around Burma and into India without making the player build & maintain the infrastructure required. its assumed that ports will keep working and roads & railways dont need maintenance and that local poulations all love their invaders so troops are not forced to garrison cities (except China).

I have read a lot on the Commonwealth efforts in SE Asia and believe that they did a great job with what they had IRL, and maybe the japanese did better IRL than happens in games, who would have started the Imphal offensive in a game.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1116
RE: March 4, 1944 - 10/11/2008 5:11:57 AM   
heenanc

But saying that it's the most realistic game I've played...

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1117
RE: Venting - 10/11/2008 5:31:36 AM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

I have asked many times before but WHERE do all these Indian, Chinese, British troops come from.  I have lost the entire CBI Theatre to a combined force of nearly 1.25 million enemy troops.  This is not being extreme!  I have nearly 15 Inf Div fighting a war that is totally lost.

Time to start a serious evacuation.  I can pull everything back in Indochina and Burma to Saigon and withdraw through there.  I will soon be cutoff in losing Johore Bharu and I guess I will have to withdraw NORTH to Saigon that way because Singapore will fall a few days after Johore Bharu.

I was so proud of holding his attack at Malacca and think I have chance to dirve him into the sea.  That is not the reality now...

Part of the answer is Monsoon. For those of you who follow my posts, you know this is a sore subject for me. Combat ops were only possible at best for about six months out of the year in Burma and SE India. It rains from June to September there and takes at least two months to dry out. Both sides could only go on the offensive from December to May. That is why the British weren't able to accomplish more. Even into 1944 and 1945 when Japan was on the defensive, the Brits could only push so far.

More info

I also think the game does not hold up well in continental warfare. I think it does okay with island warfare but the engine just loses it when vast armies square off in open terrain.

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1118
RE: Venting - 10/11/2008 11:20:30 AM   
Mark VII

Guess thats a two way street. No Japanese invasions of India from June to December in 1942. I'm pretty sure most invasions of India in the game happen during that time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

Part of the answer is Monsoon. For those of you who follow my posts, you know this is a sore subject for me. Combat ops were only possible at best for about six months out of the year in Burma and SE India. It rains from June to September there and takes at least two months to dry out. Both sides could only go on the offensive from December to May. That is why the British weren't able to accomplish more. Even into 1944 and 1945 when Japan was on the defensive, the Brits could only push so far.

More info

I also think the game does not hold up well in continental warfare. I think it does okay with island warfare but the engine just loses it when vast armies square off in open terrain.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1119
RE: Venting - 10/11/2008 11:34:31 AM   
ny59giants

Sir John,

Unless things have changed, you will need to go through most of your troops in Malaya and Sumatra to make sure they are prepping for that particular base or an objective. When I was your Economics Minister, I saw that many of your troops were prepped for bases far from where they were. Don't forget to prep both types of HQ for a particular base. You need all the help those prep levels give you. As the Allies, I always prepped SE Asia HQ for Mandalay even though I had it at Calcutta. It's range was 9 hexes and gave a bonus for defense. There is a good thread on this under the "Must Read Threads" section.

Retired Economics Minister Benoit

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 1120
RE: Venting - 10/11/2008 4:05:56 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

Hi John. I've been thinking over the issue of Allied CBI success that Dan is having now. I think one big factor may be your preferred style of play, where you don't apply any pressure in China and pay to transfer LCU's out of the China theater to use elsewhere. Many of the Chinese troops that would have been tied down now seem to be on the move. Do you have a list of the total units that you transferred out of China over the course of the war?

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1121
RE: Venting - 10/11/2008 9:15:17 PM   
saj42

Another possible reason is the Amphibious shipping available to launch invasions.

The British Fleet in the Far East had very little in the way of amphibious assualt capability.
BUT in this game any and all AKs and APs can be used to land an invasion force. The USN was fortunate in having APAs and AKAs - the British didn't until 1945.

AE will fix this with better defined ship classes; for stock every ship will do the job.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1122
RE: Venting - 10/13/2008 9:11:47 PM   
John 3rd

Hi Everyone!  Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.  I don't have internet where I am staying and it is driving my INSANE!

Just fired off a turn to Dan. 

The March 5th turn was rather boring and I LIKED that! 

1.  I managed to replennish nearly all of my CV aircraft at Soerabaja this turn.  I needed about 130 Zero, 60 DB, and 75 TB.  I will see what the experience change becomes next turn.  These 6 CV, 6 CVL, and 12 DD are stuck at Soerabaja until a massive fuel TF arrives.  I have set all planes on train and will wait a bit.

Not sure what I will do with the CVs once I can fuel them...

2.  I order bombardments of Malacca and Johore Bharu by my BB TFs.  Yamato, 3 CA, 1 CL, 6 DD move to Malacca and the newly arrived BB Ise/Hyuga, 1 CA, 1 CL, and 6 DD group will nail Johore Bharu.  The arrival of 2 more BB should send a very loud message to the Allies.

3.  Malacca raised its Forts to 1/04 this turn.  Held off another Deliberate Attack at Johore Bharu.  Those 2 Allied units are in a bit of trouble IF I can find some troops somewhere...

As to comments posted above:

A.  Former Economics Minister Benoit is dead right in that I tend to forget where my troops are prepping.  That is NOT the case right now! 

B.  Tallyho--I thoroughly concur with your thoughts regarding too much Allied assault shipping.

C.  Vettim 89--I have been reading a bunch of SE Asia WWII Military History right now.  I've finished Thompson's Battle of Singapore and Willmott's books.  All of these books REALLY talk about the weather!  I believe I intellectually understood this issue but have never read about it in such detail.

D.  USS America--Haven't seen a posting by you here in AGES!  How are you doing?

You are correct about Dan exploiting my preference to STAY AWAY from China tendancy.  That is about to change.  I have very carefully and slowly bringing a massive Japanese army together in southern China.  This large force will include over 12 Inf Div and numerous support units.  The offensive is based on the massive number of Chinese units moving into Indochina with Hanoi and Haiphong's fall.  I will attack and see what happens!

As to units pulled out of China?  Lordy...I couldn't even guess.  At a minimum (Big B's Mod 1.4 remember) I have pulled EVERY Japanese Brigade and at least 5-7 Japanese Infantry Divisions.  Unless I could see an Order-of-Battle I cannot be more specific then that...

Any more thoughts guys?  

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 1123
RE: Venting - 10/14/2008 4:15:45 PM   
Mark VII

In my last couple of games vs Capt Ed, we have limited AK's to only Tank, Arty, CD and AA units. AP's everything else. LST's and other landing craft can carry anything that will load.

This slows down both sides moving troops at the beginning of the war but especially the Brits later. If the British want to get aggressive, plenty of American AP's, APA's and landing craft need to be transfered to the far east!

This just seems to make things alittle more realisic for both sides.

quote:

Hi Everyone!  Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.  I don't have internet where I am staying and it is driving my INSANE!

B.  Tallyho--I thoroughly concur with your thoughts regarding too much Allied assault shipping.

Any more thoughts guys?  

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1124
Brit Shipping - 10/14/2008 4:57:21 PM   
John 3rd

That is a good House Rule and makes a lot of sense to me.  Little late to work with now though.

Might be fun to implement in a new campaign!

Do we know what AE does with this issue?  I saw it referred to in an earlier post.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 1125
RE: Brit Shipping - 10/14/2008 6:02:05 PM   
Q-Ball

John, rather than replenish your CV airgroups with rookies, why not replenish them with Vets from land-based Daitais?

It would take an extra week, but other than that, you can keep your experience level high on the CV's, and train the other units in China to make it up.

The 35-exp TB and DB pilots are only cannon-fodder. They won't hit anything anyways.

If you replenish using LB Daitai, you should keep all your CV pilots in the high-70s in experience, regardless of losses. This presumes you are training in China, which some Allied players object to.

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 10/14/2008 6:03:22 PM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1126
RE: Brit Shipping - 10/14/2008 7:19:28 PM   
John 3rd

Q-Ball:

Thanks.  My XP looks pretty good at the moment.  My CV Fighters are lowest at somewhere between 55-65%.  The CV Bombers are about 10-15% higher.  They are useful but not too great.  Wish I had thought about your option prior to my DOING it!

I have been limited in my China training as Dan has finally moved a good number of Allied Fighters into the theatre.  My planes are no longer flying everyday but I am targeting specific sites.  About a week ago I moved 500 planes out of China to Formosa, upgraded them, and am feeding them into the Malaya area.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 1127
March 6, 1944 - 10/14/2008 7:45:53 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
March 6, 1944

Action continues to focus on the Malaya-Sumatra Theatre:

1.  BB Yamato, 2 CA, 1 CL, and 6 DD attack the shipping off of Malacca.  There is no opposition!  Guns flash and torpedos slam into the Allied Transports.  A total of 14 AK are present and when Adm Tanaka orders a return to Singapore 4 AK are sunk, 4 AK are in sinking condition, and 4 more AK are damaged.  Nearly 1500 Allied troops are killed during the attack.  Not too bad...

2.  BB Ise/Hyuga don't find anything at Johore Bharu and settle into Singapore.  I will begin a TF rotation of bombarding Malacca with each of the BB TF.  There is a small STF of 2 CA and 3 DD arriving at Singapore tomorrow and I will use it to bombard Johore Bharu regularly.

3.  Allied Bombardment at Malacca is frightening.  I lose an average of 400-500 troops each day due to bombardment.  Forts rise from 1/06 to 1/31.

4.  I had moved a Chutai of Betty to Georgetown with a full Sentai of Lily also.  These planes find a TF moving up the coast of Sumatra without aircover.  The Japanese strike with 6 Betty and 18 Lily.  The raid loses nothing and manages to put 2 TT into an AK as well as 6 Bombs on damaged BB Warspite.  Wish those torpedos had hit the BB!

Rarotonga 
A group of 32 Betty hit the AF and keep damage around 10%.  I am moving 4 Daitai of Betty who have low experience to begin a bit of training here.  My CVEs are moving slowly in the direction of Rarotonga.  They will approach to about 8 hexes away and then return to Suva to refuel.

Australia
The 20th Infantry Division has two Aussie TK Regiments move into their hex as they are retreating.  I decide to administer a lesson.  The 20th Shock Attacks these units for little cost while inflicting 205 Casualties and destroying 16 Tanks.  After the attack the 20th returns to its retreat...

Haiphong
Allied Shock Attack yields a 49-1 result.  The end is in sight for these troops here.  I have nearly 50,000 troops cutoff without hope of retrieval...

Maizuru
Dan goes after CV Soryu under repair in the port.  He flings 127 Liberators and B-17s against the base.  I KNEW Dan would want to come back to this base for an attempt at sinking CV Soryu!  I had planned accordingly.  A total of 98 highly experienced Tony Fighters rise to face them and the slaughter begins.  For a loss of 2 Tony, the Japanese shot down 32 4EB and damage another 56 planes!    Only about 45 bombers drop their bombs and they MISS their target.  The Port takes 1 Hit.

Bet the Americans didn't like that too much...

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 10/14/2008 7:46:44 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1128
RE: Brit Shipping - 10/14/2008 8:25:46 PM   
Q-Ball

I think it's important, even though the experience looks like 65, what that really might be is 2/3 of a Daitai which has good pilots, and 1/3 of a Daitai that is completely worthless.

I have probably refilled my CV airgroups 5 or 6 times over. As you know, any pitched battle means 90% pilot losses for some Daitai. I have even pulled them off the CV and sent the whole unit to China to retrain rookie replacements, particularly if the CV is repairing in port anyway.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1129
CVE Strikes! - 10/15/2008 7:25:00 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
March 7, 1944

The action shifts a little bit with this turn.  Major developments:

1.  Johore Bharu--Ise/Hyuga TF hits this area and does 280 Cas, 9 G, and 2 V.

2.  Malacca--No action other then the Allied Bombardment doing 509 Cas, 3 G, and 7 V.

3.  Haiphong--Allied Deliberate Attack gets a 46-1 result but casualties are far off the number.  The Japanese lose 1090 Cas, 8 G, and 2 V for 3,549 Chinese Cas and 3 G.  Wonder how long this force can hold out?

4.  The good news of the turn are my CVEs manage to find an Allied TF and hit it pretty hard!  The Japanese pilots sink an AV and DE plus manage to damage an AD, AS, DE, and 2 AGP.  The Japanese flyers lose 3 DB and 4 TB for their effort.  This action happens in hex 87,134.  Will follow-up tomorrow and try to finish off this force before going to Suva.

5.  Nagasaki--A small CTF of CV Unryu, 1 CL, 4 DD depart the harbor and head for Truk.  Once there, the carrier will head SE to join up with the CVEs to provide some muscle and cover the invasion of Rarotonga.  Unryu carries 27 Zekes and 54 Judy.

That is it for the day.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 1130
CVE Strikes--part 2! - 10/15/2008 9:13:46 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
March 8, 1944

Major Developments:

1.  For the last 10 days or so Dan has been hitting Bangkok with an average of 5 P-40 and 55 Wellingtons.  Seeing a pattern, I decide to move in 72 Tony to stage an ambush.  Allied Intelligence picks it up PERFECTLY and I suddenly see 77 High Performance Allied Fighters appear over the town and I lost 45 planes.  God I HATE that.  There is no chance of surprise.

2.  Rarotonga is hit by 46 Bombers doing 91 Cas, 4 G, and AF hit 25 times.

3.  CVE Attacks--My CVEs hit that convoy (which scattered) for the 2nd straight day.  Down goes an AD and 2 AGP.  Not bad for my little force.  They head for the barn in Suva.

4.  Johore Bharu is hit by BB Yamato for 294 Cas.  A Jpaanese air raid of 10 F, 21 B, and 6 TB do an additional 38 Cas.

5.  CV Move--Four CV depart Soerabaja for Batavia.  These carriers will fuel there and stage into the Indian Ocean for a Raid.  The CVs are:  Shokaku, Zuikaku, Taiho, and Amagi.

This is a synopsis of the day and it was a fairly calm one at that.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1131
RE: CVE Strikes--part 2! - 10/15/2008 9:27:01 PM   
FeurerKrieg

My best luck with ambushed comes from using LRCAP over a different base than where you base your fighters - Allied intel can't pick that one up, and sometimes they send the fighters to where your fighters are based, only to find no targets - while your LRCAP planes are off hammering unescorted bombers.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1132
RE: CVE Strikes--part 2! - 10/21/2008 10:47:17 PM   
John 3rd

FK--That is a good note and I will try to use it once I get some retrained Fighter Sentai available.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 1133
Plans - 10/21/2008 10:50:45 PM   
John 3rd

Dan and I haven't got a turn in since last Wednesday afternoon.  This has been my fault in that I don't have the internet where I am temporarily living. 

I planned to get a turn in yesterday but got the chance to meet Sarah Palin at a campaign stop near the house and couldn't resist.  Whether you agree with her politics or not, that is one fine-looking lady!  It was a great and fun experience.  Fun is not a word I have used too much in the last month of life.

I will be home all day tomorrow.  Dan and I plan to get 3-4 turns done hopefully!

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 10/21/2008 10:51:11 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1134
March 9, 2008 - 10/22/2008 11:01:05 PM   
John 3rd

I just noticed that the AAR has passed the 40,000+ hits mark.  WOW!  Thank you guys.  Sorry that things are moving so slowly right now...

Combat Report
March 9, 2008

There are no major developments for the day's action.  The normal events take place in the following places:

Rarotonga
Pressure begins to mount as this Allied base is hit with 45 Betty bombers.  I have a further 50 Frances resting and set to naval attack.  Another Daitai of low experience Bettys move into the area to add their bomb weight to the attack.  Rarotonga averages about 25-35% damage from these daily raids.

CVE TF
My four CVEs have hardly any sorties left so they retire towards Suva to restock and replenish.  CV Unryu and, just added, 2 CVL are set to rendezvous at Truk in about 4-5 days.  This continues to movement of strength towards the Suva area as I try to find training and sinkings at this point of the war.

Saigon/Bangkok
Following FK's advice I move 3 Sentai/Daitai of Tony/Jack to the AF 3 hexes SE of Bangkok and set them to LR CAP over Bangkok.  We'll see what happens!

Malaya
Johore Bharu
I've noticed that Dan isn't flying CAP over JB so I order a small training strike to hit those two marooned units.  The Chinese/Indian units are hit by 18 F, 22 DB, and 28 TB causing 51 Casualties.  I now have an Assault Strength of nearly 3-1 over the units there.  Another trashed Japanese Brigade will reach this location on the 10th or 11th.  When it arrives I will add a BB bombardment and see what I can do.

Malacca
The Allies bombard the Japanese troops and inflict 251 Cas.  The AS there is rated at 1810 (Allies) and 1394 (Japanese).  Forts continue to move up rising to 1/59.  When it hit 2 I will move more troops down to JB to finish those troops there.

Naval Orders for Malaya
1.  I order the Ise/Hyuga to bombard Malacca.  They travel with a CL and 6 DD for their attack.

2.  I form a STF to hit Bankha:  3 CA, 2 CL, and 6 DD.  The cursur noted 3 TF present there.  I know that there is a group of DD there and I want to drive them away.  I entrust this mission to none other then Tanaka.

3.  A small STF will sweep JB to keep Allied TF away from there.  It isn't too much of a TF:  2 DD and 5 PG.

4.  There are 3 ML at Singapore and order them to mine JB.

5.  There are also 4 ASW TF operating in the area and they get orders to hit several Allied SS.

6.  My CV TF reaches Batavia and will refuel tomorrow before setting out to raise some Hell in the Indian Ocean.  I would wager it is the LAST thing Dan might expect.

ASW Happenings
Speaking of ASW, I have a very good day with SS Pargo putting a Torp into a TK (minor damage) NW of Manila.  In return for this meager result, the Pargo is sunk by 13 DC hits.  ANY TF carrying oil/resources is generally escorted by an ASW value of 65!  I might get ships hit but will sink the SS that attacks.

Past this sinking, my LBA hits 3 SS and I have an ASW TF hit another SS NE of Formosa.

This makes for a pretty good day against Allied Subs!

Thanks again for all the readers of the AAR!  Considering life on this end of the terminal, it is a great thing to read and see your comments.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1135
RE: March 9, 2008 - 10/23/2008 12:39:39 AM   
Nachoz

And thanks for the time you take to keep us informed... ;)

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1136
March 10, 1944 - 10/24/2008 7:57:20 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
March 10, 1944

A much busier day of fighting in the Pacific!  The action stayed in Malaya--Sumatra so I will save that for the end of this report.  Let me touch on other areas first:

Rarotonga
This base is nailed by a strong raid of 55 Bettys.  I lose 1 bomber but do 176 Cas, 2 G, 1 V, and hit the AF 34 times.  I send a CL and 4 DD from Suva to raid Rarotonga.  My CVEs spotted a small TF heading east towards Rarotonga and I want to catch it with this small STF.

Paramushiro Jima
The northern island is PASTED by a raid of 90 4EB!  I lose 27 planes on the ground, 485 Cas, 8 G, and the AF takes 84 hits.  I evac the remaining strike planes but leave the recon assets in place.

Indochina
Haiphong
An Allied attack continues to yield the 49-1 mark against the troops that have been driven out of their base.  The Japanese lose 1,900 troops and the Allies drop nearly 3,000.  Bleak situation here...

Bangkok
I LR CAP this base as per FK's suggestion and Dan STILL knows what is coming.  A Fighter Sweep sees 35 of 40 Japanese Fighters shot down while the Japanese claim 12 of the 65 Allied planes.  GRRRR... 

Order all Fighters to concentrate at Singapore and Palembang.

ASW Action
LBA hits 1 Allied SS and another is seriously damaged by an ASW TF.

Malaya--Sumatra
Bankha
My STF of 3 CA, 2 CL, and 7 DD sweep into the area to encounter two seperate Allied STF.  Tanaka fights two short engagements against a force of 2 CL and 10 DD.  The Japanese have a CA hit by a Torp and 4 DDs slightly damaged.  In exchange the Japanese hit 1 CL with a Torp and strongly damage 5 Allied DD.  The second Allied STF spooks me when I see that it is led by the damaged BB Queen Elizabeth, 2 CL, and 5 DD.  Two rounds of battle see the Japanese hit 1 CL and 3 DD hard while taking very little damage in return.

The days sees a Japanese CA limping home (Sys 39/Flot 58) and DD in sinking condition.  All other ships make it back to Singapore.  No Allied attacks against the seriously damaged ships should allow them to make Singapore tomorrow.  This was a frustrating raid that could have done better but I did continue to seriously damage about 2 enemy ships for everyone of mine.

Malacca 
The Ise-Hyuga STF hits this base without difficulty doing 415 Cas and 8 G damage.  The Allies Bombard that evening doing 129 Cas, 2 G, and 1 V.  Forts rise to 1/68.

Johore Bharu
A small air raid of 22 F, 24 DB, and 24 TB do 54 Cas and 1 G.  Japanese Bombardment yields another 44 Cas.  I order a full bomber strike of over 100 bombers, BB Bombardment, and a land attack for the next turn.  We shall see if I have chance of eliminating the two Allied ground units her.

CV Moves
My 4 CV and 6 DD depart Batavia and head SW into the Indian Ocean.  They will move far enough away to not be spotted and move towards a position between Ceylon and Sabang.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Nachoz)
Post #: 1137
Thanks - 10/24/2008 7:58:11 PM   
John 3rd

I forgot to say thanks Nachoz!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1138
RE: March 10, 1944 - 10/24/2008 8:46:54 PM   
FeurerKrieg

Yea, the LRCAP thing doesn't always work. I doubt Dan 'knew' you would have fighters there, I tend to fly sweeps with my bombers whenever possible, just in case an LRCAP gets thrown up.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1139
RE: March 10, 1944 - 10/24/2008 11:06:03 PM   
John 3rd

We got March 11-12 done but I don't have time to update the AAR.  Will do so on Monday when I have internet.

Thanks FK! 

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 1140
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: March 1-2, 1944 Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI