Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWIF Game Interface Design

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWIF Game Interface Design Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 8/20/2008 9:03:59 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: lomyrin

one problem with these lists will occur later in the game when there may be more than a dozen planes available and often another dozen from a cooperating power as well.

Lars

Yeah I was thinking that too. 1945 is a very different kettle of fish then 1940. Is there any way to limit the display to planes in range of where the mouse is pointing? (Holy Processing Time, Batman!)

Probably not something I want to code.

The last new form I want to create is the Destinations List. One place this will be useful is as a popup for the Selectable Units List. By right clicking on the space to the right of a unit in the SUL, all all the unit's possible destinations will be shown. Clicking on one of them immediately centers on the estination with the air unit "in hand" then you merely need to 'drop' it on the destination. I think that will be useful for long range strategic bombing missions.

I don't think I will do this for Ground Strikes or Air Transport missions where there are likely to be 30 - 100 possible destinations. Ground Support, Port Attacks, and Strategic Bombing are the only air missions where this makes any sense to me.
---
There is always going to be some work for the player to figure out what he wants to do when he has 30 or 40 aircraft at his disposal. I'll make some effort to help, but I don't want to increase my burden just to ease his burden. Hey, don't build so many aircraft! Get more shot down! If you are going to be greedy and build everything - never risking it in combat - then you are just begging to wallow in the misery of having so many aircraft you don't know what to do with them all.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 1381
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 8/20/2008 11:45:35 PM   
amwild

If fading the flags are problematic, why not highlight the active ones by putting a selection box around them instead/also? If the active box and/or flag pulsed (brightened & dimmed several times a second), that would be immediately noticeable, though perhaps a bit distracting.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ptey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
The motivation behind this is so you always know which major powers are making decisions by which flags are bright (not faded). You also are reminded which major powers you control (full size), just in case you forget.

Maybe that's just me, but I feel that either the faded is not faded enough, or the bright flag is not visible enough.
Good idea for the reduced flags !!!

Its not just you, I agree with that. The other flags should also imo be faded some more.

Maybe this question is answered in a previous post (I havent read all of this thread). But why not show the flags in the setup order?

(in reply to ptey)
Post #: 1382
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 8/20/2008 11:53:19 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: amwild

If fading the flags are problematic, why not highlight the active ones by putting a selection box around them instead/also? If the active box and/or flag pulsed (brightened & dimmed several times a second), that would be immediately noticeable, though perhaps a bit distracting.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ptey

quote:

quote:

The motivation behind this is so you always know which major powers are making decisions by which flags are bright (not faded). You also are reminded which major powers you control (full size), just in case you forget.

Maybe that's just me, but I feel that either the faded is not faded enough, or the bright flag is not visible enough.
Good idea for the reduced flags !!!

Its not just you, I agree with that. The other flags should also imo be faded some more.

Maybe this question is answered in a previous post (I havent read all of this thread). But why not show the flags in the setup order?

Fade in, fade out, you're faded!
-----
The beta testers have stopped complaining, so I think I have this done correctly now.

Steve

(in reply to amwild)
Post #: 1383
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 8/20/2008 11:56:36 PM   
Froonp

quote:

The beta testers have stopped complaining, so I think I have this done correctly now.

Yes, when looked at from ingame, it is easy to know who is making decisions now. The fade effect is OK.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1384
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/15/2008 4:38:13 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I've been adding more information to the air-to-air combat form. Here is an example of a port attack where the Axis got 3 surprise points.

The combat has been completed at this point and you can see the results of each round at the bottom of the screen.

Having won the surprise roll (3 points) the Axis chose to give themselves +1 on their air-to-air factors. That cost 2 surprise points and applies to every round of air-to-air combat. The extra point is thrown away. 3: +1, 0 means 3 surprise points, +1 for Axis, 0 change for Allied. If the Aixs had used the point to subtract one from the Allied air-to-air factors, the entry would have been 3: 0, -1.

As defender, the Axis rolled first. Since both sides had two fighters to start (you can see the units at the bottom) and the better fighter for each side was an 8, the Axis had 10 versus 9 or +1 odds. The Allies were -1 odds.

The die roll of 7 was an AA so the side that rolled the dice (the Axis) chose to abort the front Allied fighter (the P-51D).
The Allied roll was 17 for a DX. Since the Axis had no bombers, its front fighter (FW 190 A-8) was destroyed.

For the second round, there were no more surprise points to be spent, but the Axis continued to receive +1 from its earlier decision.

Once the second Axis fighter was aborted, all the Aliied bombers were cleared through automatically.

Note that in the third round the Allies had no fighters and were using the Lancaster Mk. III as their front bomber (air-to-air factor of 4). Hence the +5, -5 odds.

Once the air-to-air combat is finished, then program goes to the screen shown so the player(s) can reveiw the results. Clicking on OK - Done advances to the actual port attack (shown in the next post).

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 1385
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/15/2008 4:41:00 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

2nd and last in series. Here is the poirt attack. The Allies chose the Tirpitz as the target while the Axis chose the Norwegian ship. A lucky die roll on the Tirpitz caused it to be damaged.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 1386
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/15/2008 6:03:36 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is another example of air-to-air combat when surprise points are available.

As before, the Allies are port attacking Kiel. This time they get 5 surprise points and decide to save 3 of them for selecting a target - assuming some of the bombers are cleared through.

This is the end of the first round of air-to-air combat and the Allies are deciding whether to stay or not. Since the first round aborted one of the German fighters, the Allies will stay. It is not so clear whether the Germans will or not.

What I wanted to show here is that the program works out the hypothetical combat odds for the second round, assuming both sides stay. The Allies still have the opportunity of spending 2 of the 3 surprise points they have remaining to increase their air-to-air factors (or decrease the Axis air-to-air factors). Right now it is 10 versus 8 (+2 and -2).

Note that the center line of the form shows the decision sequence and the circle with the dot indicates the sub-subphase is Att. Aborts/Stays. The message/prompt under that informs the player what decision he has to make.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 1387
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/15/2008 8:39:13 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

For the second round, there were no more surprise points to be spent, but the Axis continued to receive +1 from its earlier decision.

This Form looks good but the quote above contains a possible problem. Once surprise is spent for air-to-air, it cannot be modified during the rounds of the air-to-air combat. Below is the quote from RAC concerning this for naval air combat (just above section 11.5.7) and I'm quite sure this applies to all air-to-air combats involving the use of surprise points.

"You can only spend points to modify air-to-air combat values at the start of the naval air combat (not during each air-to-air combat round)."

Paul

Post #: 1388
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/15/2008 10:08:18 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

This Form looks good but the quote above contains a possible problem. Once surprise is spent for air-to-air, it cannot be modified during the rounds of the air-to-air combat. Below is the quote from RAC concerning this for naval air combat (just above section 11.5.7) and I'm quite sure this applies to all air-to-air combats involving the use of surprise points.

"You can only spend points to modify air-to-air combat values at the start of the naval air combat (not during each air-to-air combat round)."

I read this as permission by omission. Since only naval air combat is mentioned in the rule, the implication is that for port attacks you can modify the air-to-air combat numbers by spending any remaining/unused surprise points.

Either way I need to modify the code so further modification is not permitted during naval air combat. That's easy enough to do.

Steve

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 1389
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/15/2008 10:22:12 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

I read this as permission by omission. Since only naval air combat is mentioned in the rule, the implication is that for port attacks you can modify the air-to-air combat numbers by spending any remaining/unused surprise points.

Either way I need to modify the code so further modification is not permitted during naval air combat. That's easy enough to do.

This might be of relevance.

11.2 Port attack
The side with the greater number of surprise points can spend the difference in the same ways as in normal naval combats (see 11.5.6) except that you cannot change the combat type (from naval air combat).

-Orm

Post #: 1390
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/15/2008 10:36:23 AM   
Froonp

When you look at the central counters in each form, you notice that it misses the white line all around. This problem is present in a lot of Forms.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1391
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/15/2008 10:39:53 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm
quote:

quote:

quote:

11.2 Port attack
The side with the greater number of surprise points can spend the difference in the same ways as in normal naval combats (see 11.5.6) except that you cannot change the combat type (from naval air combat).

I agree with the believers that the Surprise points have to be decided at the start of the A2A combat, and that this decision can't change during the A2A combat. Please not that the column shift also applies to Bounce combats that can happen during the A2A combat.
What Orm says in the last post is decisive to understand that.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1392
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/15/2008 5:45:54 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

11.2 Port attack

-Orm

Ok. Thanks.

Steve

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1393
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/16/2008 6:02:18 AM   
Zorachus99

Can you align the attacking planes in the figure to the right? It would appear more naturally that they are facing each other.

quote:

Here is another example of air-to-air combat when surprise points are available.

As before, the Allies are port attacking Kiel. This time they get 5 surprise points and decide to save 3 of them for selecting a target - assuming some of the bombers are cleared through.

This is the end of the first round of air-to-air combat and the Allies are deciding whether to stay or not. Since the first round aborted one of the German fighters, the Allies will stay. It is not so clear whether the Germans will or not.

What I wanted to show here is that the program works out the hypothetical combat odds for the second round, assuming both sides stay. The Allies still have the opportunity of spending 2 of the 3 surprise points they have remaining to increase their air-to-air factors (or decrease the Axis air-to-air factors). Right now it is 10 versus 8 (+2 and -2).

Note that the center line of the form shows the decision sequence and the circle with the dot indicates the sub-subphase is Att. Aborts/Stays. The message/prompt under that informs the player what decision he has to make.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

Post #: 1394
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/16/2008 6:47:29 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorachus99

Can you align the attacking planes in the figure to the right? It would appear more naturally that they are facing each other.

quote:

The trade offs are functionality versus beautification versus programming time.

I am 'ok' with the way things are shown. Rotating the pictures is actually unappealing to me, whether it is 90 degrees counter clockwise for one and clockwise for the other, or 180 degrees for one and then placing them in a column instead of a row. The text and numbers on the units are easier to read when the units are not rotated.

The programming uses a standard component for displaying a list of units, hence they are all left-justified in the lists, when it would be better if the ones on the left were right justified. The standard component doesn't have the features to do that and writing code just for this form seems wastefull of time and effort.

Two of my improvements over CWIF was to include the large picture of the front fighters and bombers and to show the effective air-to-air factors for the each side. All the stuff about the decision sequence is new and so is showing the on-going results of the combat as text and with the unit depictions at the bottom of the form.

Steve

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 1395
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/16/2008 8:43:02 AM   
oscar72se

I must say that I really like the overall look, but I do have one concern. I think that the buttons "disappears" in the middle. The very first time I looked on the form I really had two look twice in order to find them.

Is there any simple way of highlighting them in order to let the "action buttons" stand out? If one made the 3-D effect on the buttons a little stronger it could help, or even changing colors on them?

Best regards,
Oscar

Post #: 1396
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/16/2008 10:25:48 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: oscar72se

I must say that I really like the overall look, but I do have one concern. I think that the buttons "disappears" in the middle. The very first time I looked on the form I really had two look twice in order to find them.

Is there any simple way of highlighting them in order to let the "action buttons" stand out? If one made the 3-D effect on the buttons a little stronger it could help, or even changing colors on them?

Best regards,
Oscar

I'm not too worried about this.

The form is very busy with many parts, each of which is of interest at different times in the "Decision Sequence". Simplifying the form by splitting it into 2 or 3 forms, was one consideration but I decided that having everything present throughout the air-to-air combat would let the players keep track of what is happening: past, present, and future.

The complexity of the form is the reason the buttons become 'lost'. In practice, the players will quickly learn that the center of this form contains the decision buttons. As the decision sequence progresses, I am changing the labels of the buttons, sometimes showing only one, sometimes two. There are 3 positions available/used for the buttons. When the buttons are not selectable/clickable, I have simply removed them from sight completely. That change came from feedback from the beta testers who found disabled buttons confusing.

What you have made me think about though, is the possibility of adding icons to the buttons. For example, the Help button has the little book. I don't know what symbols could be used. And artwork is not my forte. But a little icon for each button might made them more noticeable.

Changing colors is both difficult (I am using Theme Engine for all the buttons in the game) and not necessarily good, since there are 8 different background colors - 1 per major power.

Button labels are:

Combat Chosen = location/combat selected
Axis Ready = Axis units arranged
Allies Ready = Allied units arranged
Abort
Stay
Ok - Done

Steve

(in reply to oscar72se)
Post #: 1397
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/16/2008 3:38:51 PM   
YohanTM2

I prefer it the way you have it setup as well
quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorachus99

quote:

The trade offs are functionality versus beautification versus programming time.

I am 'ok' with the way things are shown. Rotating the pictures is actually unappealing to me, whether it is 90 degrees counter clockwise for one and clockwise for the other, or 180 degrees for one and then placing them in a column instead of a row. The text and numbers on the units are easier to read when the units are not rotated.

The programming uses a standard component for displaying a list of units, hence they are all left-justified in the lists, when it would be better if the ones on the left were right justified. The standard component doesn't have the features to do that and writing code just for this form seems wastefull of time and effort.

Two of my improvements over CWIF was to include the large picture of the front fighters and bombers and to show the effective air-to-air factors for the each side. All the stuff about the decision sequence is new and so is showing the on-going results of the combat as text and with the unit depictions at the bottom of the form.

Post #: 1398
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/16/2008 4:30:16 PM   
sajbalk

Looks functional and attractive. One concern, in the rules issued this summer, back up FTR's are now worth 1/10 of their air to air value. In the example above, would the allied strength not be 8.7? This rounds to +1/-1, so no difference in results here.

Steve Balk
Iowa, USA

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 1399
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/16/2008 5:13:22 PM   
composer99

That's only if you play with the 'obsolete fighters' optional rule, which the fractional back-up replaces.

If you don't play with obsolete fighters, the normal +1 per backup fighters applies.

~ Composer99

(in reply to sajbalk)
Post #: 1400
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/16/2008 6:10:10 PM   
brian brian

yeah, it is very easy to forget that was only a change to an optional

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1401
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/16/2008 7:17:15 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: sajbalk

Looks functional and attractive. One concern, in the rules issued this summer, back up FTR's are now worth 1/10 of their air to air value. In the example above, would the allied strength not be 8.7? This rounds to +1/-1, so no difference in results here.

The air-to-air factors under/over the large images of the front units are shown as tenths to accommodate such fine detail. The +1, -1, in the Odds column of the table in the lower right, are rounded as they would be for using the table.

EDIT: I have since changed the form so:
(1) the insert map updates automatically - centering on the hex where the combat is taking place;
(2) the Selectable Units form (in the upper left of the screen shot) is cleared once each air mission subphase is completed. As shown, the fighters are the ones that Germany could/did use for defensive interception.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 10/16/2008 7:19:59 PM >

Steve

(in reply to sajbalk)
Post #: 1402
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/17/2008 6:28:11 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

The air-to-air factors under/over the large images of the front units are shown as tenths to accommodate such fine detail. The +1, -1, in the Odds column of the table in the lower right, are rounded as they would be for using the table.

Recently there was a discussion on the Yahoo list about calculating the air-to-air differential. My group had always rounded the total for our own side and then taken the difference between the sides. Apparently this may have been wrong all along, although I have yet to re-read RAW to satisfy myself. Seems that you take the difference between the sides and then round that. Previously this would only have an impact if carrier planes are involved, but if that new back-up fighter rule comes into play, then it will raise its head more often.

Paul

Post #: 1403
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/17/2008 7:40:18 AM   
oscar72se

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: oscar72se

Best regards,
Oscar

I'm not too worried about this.

The form is very busy with many parts, each of which is of interest at different times in the "Decision Sequence". Simplifying the form by splitting it into 2 or 3 forms, was one consideration but I decided that having everything present throughout the air-to-air combat would let the players keep track of what is happening: past, present, and future.

The complexity of the form is the reason the buttons become 'lost'. In practice, the players will quickly learn that the center of this form contains the decision buttons. As the decision sequence progresses, I am changing the labels of the buttons, sometimes showing only one, sometimes two. There are 3 positions available/used for the buttons. When the buttons are not selectable/clickable, I have simply removed them from sight completely. That change came from feedback from the beta testers who found disabled buttons confusing.

What you have made me think about though, is the possibility of adding icons to the buttons. For example, the Help button has the little book. I don't know what symbols could be used. And artwork is not my forte. But a little icon for each button might made them more noticeable.

Changing colors is both difficult (I am using Theme Engine for all the buttons in the game) and not necessarily good, since there are 8 different background colors - 1 per major power.

Button labels are:

Combat Chosen = location/combat selected
Axis Ready = Axis units arranged
Allies Ready = Allied units arranged
Abort
Stay
Ok - Done

Excellent idea, adding icons to the buttons would probably help drawing the attention of the user. Which ones to choose is, as you pointed out, not easy. If it was up to me I would choose icons that the user has seen before.

Post #: 1404
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/4/2008 12:34:32 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I am revising the display (and processing) of land combat resolution. Here is the new form.

At the top is the sequence of the subphases within the phase land combat resolution. RAC (rules as coded) follows RAW (rules as written), for this subphase sequence. Regrettably, RAW is somewhat vague about who decides to use snow units first/second and where the decision about using the engineer occurs.

I am going to change what you see here so that following Select Combat will be: Attacker decides whether to use Snow Units, Defender decides to use Snow Units, Attacker decides to use Engineer, and lastly, the decision about combat table is made.

Note that the Odds are updated as these decisions are made, though those decisions that require a die roll are only estimates until the die roll actually occurs. When there is a difference between Assault and Blitz odds, both are shown with Assault odds shown first (e.g., hex [49, 45]).

At the bottom, the Unit Data Panel is updated whenever the cursor passes over one of the defending or attacking units.

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to oscar72se)
Post #: 1405
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/4/2008 12:39:15 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is the same screen but with the Flyouts shown within the insert map. By using the flyouts, you can examine what units are in each hex as the land combat resolution process executes. This is important when deciding about Retreats and Advance After Combat.

Note that the status indicators for these units are silver in the upper - left, and red in the left - top. That shows they have been selected during the land combat phase (silver) and are committed to the combat (red).

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 1406
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/4/2008 11:24:50 PM   
Froonp

quote:

At the top is the sequence of the subphases within the phase land combat resolution. RAC (rules as coded) follows RAW (rules as written), for this subphase sequence. Regrettably, RAW is somewhat vague about who decides to use snow units first/second and where the decision about using the engineer occurs.

About this, I have this feeling that the way the sequence of the subphases is show looks like the user could choose one of them, when in reality it is only showing (I believe) what subphase you're in.
So why not using some other kind of graphical way of showing the progression, like this example for example (a progression of a color on a colored line where the subphases are written).

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1407
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/4/2008 11:30:33 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Regrettably, RAW is somewhat vague about who decides to use snow units first/second and where the decision about using the engineer occurs.

I've asked the question to Harry Rowland (& the rule discussion group) to see what they have to say about that.

Post #: 1408
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/4/2008 11:38:37 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Note that the Odds are updated as these decisions are made, though those decisions that require a die roll are only estimates until the die roll actually occurs. When there is a difference between Assault and Blitz odds, both are shown with Assault odds shown first (e.g., hex [49, 45]).

Any chances for the actual combat factor totals figures to be also displayed somewhere in this form ?
Knowing the total def factors is a help as t means that each time you add that number of attack factors, you are at +2 on the 2d10 CRT, so it is a good help to decide what unit attacks where when you have the correct data.
Having to count on the board would be a needless pain when playing a computer game.

But maybe this form only appears when all combat hexes have already been decided, in which case you can no longuer decide that a unit is attacking a hex or another. If that is the case, which I'm nearly 100% sure now that I think about it, let's just say that the total attacking / defending factors have to be displayed somewhere when the attacking units are affected to the various combats.

Post #: 1409
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/4/2008 11:39:41 PM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

About this, I have this feeling that the way the sequence of the subphases is show looks like the user could choose one of them, when in reality it is only showing (I believe) what subphase you're in.
So why not using some other kind of graphical way of showing the progression, like this example for example (a progression of a color on a colored line where the subphases are written).

I forgot to say that I have the same bad feeling about the radio buttons that show the sequence of the subphases in the Air to air combat form.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 1410
Page:   <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWIF Game Interface Design Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI