Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: CleverDevils2 AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> After Action Reports >> RE: CleverDevils2 AAR Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 10/30/2008 3:14:48 AM   
gwheelock

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeverMan

Maybe I am used to playing the 5:1 automatic trivial combat. I will try to find this rule somewhere. I see where people talk about it on the web and using screening corps. I'll post again when I find the rule.

EDIT: You are correct, it's an optional rule. I guess we just always played with this one since it's such a good rule. Either way EiANW doesn't implement this in ANY FASHION (optional or otherwise).

12.3.10 OVERWHELMING NUMBERS: Field or limited field combats where one side has a 5:1 or better ratio in strength factors _must_ be resolved using trivial combat. EXCEPTION: An outnumbered _defender_ may attempt to withdraw before the trivial combat by rolling the commander's strategic rating or less.

Since TC is forced (non-voluntary) there is NO PP exchange per the rule you cited.

It's a good thing this great rule was left out and things like "privateers" made it in this game.

12.3.>10<? My EIA rulebook only goes up to 12.3.8 in that section.

(& what is 12.3.9? Do you happen to have a link to an online copy with that
section in it? I'd like to see whatelse I'm missing)

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 391
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 10/30/2008 4:36:23 AM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwheelock
12.3.>10<? My EIA rulebook only goes up to 12.3.8 in that section.

It was a rule added in one of the errata. See this page: http://eia.xnetz.com/rules/errata.html

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 392
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 10/30/2008 4:38:19 AM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwheelock

Your wish is my command (unless you ask me to hold up the targetting rings for one of your fireballs):

http://eia.xnetz.com/

This page has the original rules, the errata (combined), and the original rules with the errata added. A very worthy resource.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 393
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/4/2008 12:17:21 AM   
gwheelock

June 1807
Well; we just had a big battle in Brest-Litovsk

Kutuzov & 8 corp attacked Napoleon w/5 corp in B-L
Chits were Echelon vs (defensive) Outflank
Russia commits guard on 3rd round to prevent French persuit
Casulties were 61 Russian I, 1 Russian C, 2 Russian G (on guard commit);
13 French I

(Note - there appears to be a minor bug on the 2nd & 3rd rounds
of combat - the French cav superiority bonus is being credited to
the Russians - the mods to the Russian rolls where "(1)" prior to
losing the "break" cav - this is why the Russian round 3 roll is a
modified 7. This would not have affected either the result or the
casulty levels in this case.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 394
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/4/2008 4:57:12 AM   
Jimmer

Looks like you were very lucky Napoleon made his first outflank roll. You didn't have enough covering infantry, and would have had to remove a dozen guard (or more), if you had rolled a 6 for that roll. Gambles look good when they succeed, I suppose.

Regarding the roll of a 7, note that it is a 7 WITHOUT a +1. So, the bug isn't in the cavalry bonus, but in the die rolls themselves. Better save a copy of this one for the bug report.

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 395
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/4/2008 7:22:53 PM   
gwheelock

Not luck. I started with 20. I lost 8; that leaves 12. If Nappy had missed
his outflank; Russia would have been on the 3-1. The best he could get on that
table would have been 15% which times his 80 would = ... 12.

I only had to worry about the 2nd round ... Nappy cant miss on the 3rd.
& this is the COMPLETE worst case from my side - 1 in 6 of missing
the outflank times 1 in 6 of his maxing the 1st round roll times 1 in 6
of his maxing the 2nd round roll = 1 in 216. I'll take my chances at
that.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimmer

Looks like you were very lucky Napoleon made his first outflank roll. You didn't have enough covering infantry, and would have had to remove a dozen guard (or more), if you had rolled a 6 for that roll. Gambles look good when they succeed, I suppose.

Regarding the roll of a 7, note that it is a 7 WITHOUT a +1. So, the bug isn't in the cavalry bonus, but in the die rolls themselves. Better save a copy of this one for the bug report.

Here is why I said that the program credited my reinforcing cav bonus to
the Russians. This is the result just PRIOR to the Russians taking their
cav loss (which probably resulted in the values being recomputed).

(You CANT ROLL a "7" without the +1)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by gwheelock -- 11/4/2008 7:25:38 PM >

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 396
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/4/2008 8:08:03 PM   
Jimmer

OK, I was wrong (about losing too many). Thanks for the correction.

Regarding the cav bonus, it looks like you are correct. Fortunately, it didn't matter in this case, but it COULD matter a lot.

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 397
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/4/2008 8:10:58 PM   
NeverMan

Why do your two images have different modifiers?

The first is (0) and the second appears to be (1).

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 398
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/4/2008 8:22:22 PM   
Jimmer

Because there are at least two bugs, it would seem. Note that the first image shows a 7(0), which is clearly impossible. So, the first bug granted Russia cavalry superiority (in just the 2nd and 3rd rounds, though). The second bug is a display bug regarding the 0 or 1 value inside parentheses.

Fortunately, in this particular battle, it didn't matter.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 399
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/4/2008 8:28:55 PM   
Jimmer

By the way, Gwheelock, cavalry factors in an outflanking force that has arrived are not doubled for purposes of cavalry superiority. So, the effective cavalry ratio should have been 15 to 5. Still you should have had cav superiority, but not at a count of 24 to 5.

Out of curiosity, what happened to the cossack? It should have been in the second image you posted. Unless Russia took the cossack as a lost factor prior to the 3rd round?

Maybe a third bug?

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 400
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/4/2008 10:48:47 PM   
Jimmer

Can someone else check the log? I believe Austria did not gain all of the PP that he should have on his turn. He started at 36, won 2PP, lost 1PP, and ended at 36. Something fishy going on, or else I just can't fine the other changes. It would help if the same battle didn't show up multiple times in the log.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 401
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/5/2008 1:00:32 AM   
NeverMan

This is one game that Marshall should be playing in so he can see all of these bugs. It's just one after the other after the other.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 402
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/5/2008 1:54:48 AM   
Jimmer

Russia and France negotiated a "planned withdraw". Since Russia lost both leaders to the game's rule error (unstacking the corps with a leader on it loses the leader), they agreed to play it ias if France had chosen Assault, Russia chose Withdraw, and Kutusov (a 3 strategic leader) was leading the Russian force. France asked me to make the roll, which I did (with my son watching).

The roll was a 1 on a six-sider. For a brief instant, I couldn't remember whether that was good or bad. But, the end result is that Russia withdrew successfully.

Now, we can't totally correct for it: They should technically be one area further inside Russia than they are now. But, it seemed like a good compromise.

France will return the two captured leaders during his land movement phase.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 403
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/5/2008 1:55:48 AM   
Jimmer

I agree, Neverman. I don't know if he has the time, but I think the next one, we should invite him, assuming any one person drops out. I'm cruising for a rematch, though. :)

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 404
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/5/2008 1:56:57 AM   
Jimmer

By the way, an interesting situation has presented itself in this game. I'll be posting this in a new thread, but this is where it comes from: Turkey had one of his feudal corps surrender in a siege combat.

Now, the reason it is interesting is this: What happens in December?

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 405
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/5/2008 4:54:55 AM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimmer
Out of curiosity, what happened to the cossack? It should have been in the second image you posted. Unless Russia took the cossack as a lost factor prior to the 3rd round?

Never mind. I misread the stats.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 406
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/5/2008 10:22:38 AM   
delatbabel

Are there any Russian / Austrian / Prussian forces left on the map?  What's the overall strategic situation?  I would have thought that a heavy defeat against the Russians like the last one, after the heavy defeat they already suffered at the hands of the Turks would mean it's pretty much all over for the allies at least in this war.  Prussia seems to be going through the motions of defending odd cities with 1 factor garrisons.

--
Del

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 407
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/5/2008 1:20:42 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Hey guys:

In between flights here.
What is going on?
Did you guys upgrade to 1.04 yet?

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 408
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/5/2008 2:42:38 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: delatbabel

Are there any Russian / Austrian / Prussian forces left on the map?  What's the overall strategic situation?  I would have thought that a heavy defeat against the Russians like the last one, after the heavy defeat they already suffered at the hands of the Turks would mean it's pretty much all over for the allies at least in this war.  Prussia seems to be going through the motions of defending odd cities with 1 factor garrisons.

The "war" was over before it started. This game was killed the minute everyone left Prussia alone to fight France in the beginning and amazingly enough Prussia did it voluntarily without help. After that it was ALL just going through the motions.

It's like watching a football game (american) where one team just keeps fumbling the ball. The result: the other team can't help but win.

Marshall: I'm pretty sure all or most of us are on 1.04.x

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 409
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/5/2008 3:37:25 PM   
AGT4533

I recollect a discussion a few months ago about the merits of continuing the game with Prussia and Austria defeated separately, leaving Russia essentially alone against France. I recall the decision was to wait and see how the first big Russia/France battle went to see if a miracle would happen. Well, we got our answer this turn - there are no miracles out there.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 410
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/5/2008 5:34:07 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: AGT4533

I recollect a discussion a few months ago about the merits of continuing the game with Prussia and Austria defeated separately, leaving Russia essentially alone against France. I recall the decision was to wait and see how the first big Russia/France battle went to see if a miracle would happen. Well, we got our answer this turn - there are no miracles out there.

No, it appears not.

1. I got tired of waiting for this game to end so I thought I would speed things up a bit by simply attacking the French instead of retreating, which is what I normally would have done.

2. I also picked a "go big or go home" chit against Nappy. Didn't turn out well for me. :)

We can officially call this game whenver you guys want.

(in reply to AGT4533)
Post #: 411
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/5/2008 7:42:25 PM   
Jimmer

Prussia made a huge mistake before the game even started: He declared war on France. Furthermore, he did it without talking to his allies.

However, in his defence, he is used to games where everybody starts out with a preexisting war, so he was expecting every other power to do the same thing. Plus, we used the GAP program. Thus, there was no way (that we thought of) to have a pre-game diplomatic time in which to negotiate these things.

Object lesson number 1: Don't use the GAP directly and only once. It can be used to set up a game and show who plays what. But, then those players should negotiate whether they want to be allies, declare wars, etc. Once decided, use the GAP again, but this time include any DoWs that are desired.

From there, it went downhill fast. Neither Austria, Russia, or Great Britian was in position to do anything to help. With winter happening, Austria and Russia couldn't even REACH the theatre, let alone with enough force to actually make a difference.

But, Prussia also then performed some actions that really hurt his cause. He declared war on five minor nations in the first two months of the game. Naturally, France got control of all of them, and Prussia never had a chance to take them back.

But, the biggest thing working against him was France. GWheelock is one of the best EIA players you'll ever see in action, and he knew exactly what to do to take advantage of the situation: Stack his forces to the roof and crush the life out of Prussia, before any other power had a chance to help out. By March, it was all over except the crying.

Object lesson number 2: Never start the game at war with France unless your allies agree.

Object lesson number 3: Big stacks kill little stacks. This is an overriding principle throughout EiA, and it was historical as well. Even though the little stack may win the combat politically, a significantly larger stack (troop count, that is) is going to do more long-term damage.

Object lesson number 4: Don't declare war on a minor, that is in proximity to both enemies, while you are at war with a major, unless there's a good reason (like, so you are allowed access through the country to get TO your enemy).

Then comes the next war: Austria. France did exactly what he should have by going to war with Austria in the dead of winter. France's extra movement point would prove critical in such a conflict.

But, another element entered in that really hurt the Austrians: The Russians were at this time being played by a new player (new to the game, that is). They hadn't had time to discuss diplomatic occurrences, and so when Austria called Russia to allies, Russia had not checked off the bit. So, Russia broke her alliance with the Austrians. To compound matters, Spain also declared war (as a result of Austria's call to allies).

Object lesson number 5: Great Britian needs to be ready at ALL times for a war with Spain. GB was not ready at all in this game at this time. She was both out of position and in need of repairs. Perfect timing by the French, to the great detriment of the allies.

Given the rather bleak positioning, Austria attacked Napoleon. He thought he needed a miracle (which was essentially correct), and tried to manufacture one. The results were approximately historically correct (if a few months late), except no Russians were there.

Object lesson number 3 is repeated here: Big stacks kill little stacks. Get used to this principle. Any EIA player will either live by it, or be killed by it (assuming his opponents understand it).

Object lesson number 6: Do not attack Napoleon unless you have a darned good reason. Furthermore, be prepared to have your army wiped out, if France understands the principle behind #3. It is nearly impossible to defeat Napoleon when attacking him, and he more than likely has more troops than you do, unless you can bring a LOT. But, in that case, he might just pick withdraw, and then pile up HIS guys and attack you back. France can always outnumber any army, and he'll do it with superior leadership.

The best parts (as France) of having people attack Napoleon are that:

A)  France is nearly always moving last. Thus, by attacking you are granting Naploeon three chances at your army before you can respond.
B)  France can almost always outnumber the forces of any single or two-major force opposing him. Therefore, come "strike back", you should count on being outnumbered. See A, because strike back will come in the form of two attacks in a row.
C)  France can out-leader anybody in the game, including whatever you brought against him in your attack.

A few months after Austria surrendered, Austria went to GB and said "I'm going to war against Turkey next month. I hope you will join us (Turkey was already at war with Russia)." Usually, it's GB doing the manipulating, but GB said "sure". After all, it seemed only a series of miracles would salvage this game for the allies.

That war is still being fought, with basically noise happening. A couple of decent-sized battles have happened, but not with any big consequences.

Unfortunately, Austria does not have the troop strength to win the war. Even with GB joining her against Turkey. Austria needs troops, but doesn't have many left after the war with France. All GB can do is take away African minors and reduce the size and stature of the Ottoman Empire. A few corps have joined battle on the mainland, though, and there are hopes that they can make a difference. The combined Austrian-Russian-British armies should normally be able to deal with Turkey. Unfortunately, Russia cannot commit wholeheartedly, because he is still at war with France. And, Austria lost a good portion of her army against France. As did GB.

Which brings us up to the present. The two things remaining are that #3 and #6 bear repeating. Both are presently showing themselves heartily. Russia attacked Napoleon and was skewered. Austria is spread out in Turkey and Turkey also spread out this month. Thus, #3 should be tested again in July.

(in reply to AGT4533)
Post #: 412
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/5/2008 8:11:00 PM   
NeverMan

Well, like I said, I attacked France because I am tired of playing EiANW and rather than drag the war out I was taking the "go big or go home" approach. It certainly wasn't a strategical mistake on my part, it was perfectly intentional.

For all intents and purposes the game is over. Essentially all I did was speed up the inevitable, there was no chance of anyone but France winning this game from the beginning and any chance of anything changing rested mostly on the large Ru-Fr battle, which is now done, thank god.

It also doesn't help that EiANW is unbalanced in France's favor, but that is a different story.

So, can we call this one or what?

I learned one more thing from this:

#1: Don't become a replacement player unless you know EXACTLY what is going on... I do feel that I was slightly mislead when deciding to join this game.

< Message edited by NeverMan -- 11/5/2008 8:12:05 PM >

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 413
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/5/2008 9:06:41 PM   
gwheelock

Ok; we've had Prussia's and France's land turns.

Prussia foraged & lost the 1 I in Konigsberg & 1I Thorn (garrisons)
Prussia successfully foraged the 2I in Breslau

On the French turn, 1 French corp made a successful siege
of Breslau - casulties 2 Prussian I

Attachment (1)

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 414
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/5/2008 9:18:07 PM   
gwheelock

quote:

ORIGINAL: delatbabel

Here is a short synopsis of the main theatres of the war:

As of the June 1807 Econ phase; there are NO Prussian factors on the map
and ALL Prussian cities are garrisoned.

There are Russian and Austrian factors on the map.

There are 11I, 4C in the army in Grodno; there is 1 CK along with a (presumably) full Danish corp in Minsk

Attachment (1)

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 415
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/5/2008 9:19:28 PM   
gwheelock

There is 16I in Moscow, 1 I in St Pete

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 416
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/5/2008 9:22:59 PM   
gwheelock

There is 9 I in Odessa & 1 CK in Ochkov
(the garrison in Kamenetz is Turk)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 417
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/5/2008 9:25:25 PM   
gwheelock

There is 1 M in Stavropol and 1 M in Astrakhan
There is 1I + 1 corp of unknown strength in Kutais

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 418
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/5/2008 9:32:47 PM   
gwheelock

On the Austrian front; there are 3 corp (max of 24 factors) with Charles in Ruschuk
(the Cav-symboled corp in Nish is the Austrian Light-Infantry ... it lost
either 1 or 2 I as casulties)
there is 1 corp in Sofia, 1 Austrian + 1 (British loaned to Austria) Swede corp in Salonika
and 1 Austrian corp in Athens plus scattered 1 factor garrisons

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 419
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 11/5/2008 9:35:24 PM   
gwheelock

There are 2 British corp in "Area170" (west of Gratz), 2 corp + Wellington
in Trieste and 1 Swede corp in Zara

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> After Action Reports >> RE: CleverDevils2 AAR Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI