Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suply - little question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Suply - little question Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suply - little question - 11/1/2008 10:08:24 PM   
jmlima

Guys,

I forgot the answer to this one. What is the rationale for allowing an out-of-supply isolated unit to keep moving forever and ever , even if it is a motorized / armoured / mechanized unit and is completely cut from it's own supply sources?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Suply - little question - 11/1/2008 10:09:58 PM   
ColinWright

If there is a rationalization, it's a bad one.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 2
RE: Suply - little question - 11/1/2008 10:50:44 PM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

If there is a rationalization, it's a bad one.

Yep. I know that much. I was just wondering if there was any flamboyant explanation for that.

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 3
RE: Suply - little question - 11/1/2008 10:53:38 PM   
jmlima

Also, a more mysterious one , at least to me. In a rant against a review of TOAW 1, Norm (on his webpage) said the following:

quote:

All ports/beaches have the same capacity to handle shipping or supply. I am sure the Western Allies wished that was the case on D-Day! If the game's model were accurate, they must have been confused about needing to take Cherbourg or Antwerp. How about weather, or damage from combat having an effect on any of these capacities? These real-world considerations were overlooked too.
Two words: Event Engine. There isn't one item on your list that couldn't be handled with a few events.

Now. How does one models varying supply capabilities of ports in the event engine? Or was this removed from TOAW 1?

< Message edited by jmlima -- 11/1/2008 10:54:34 PM >

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 4
RE: Suply - little question - 11/1/2008 11:16:00 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmlima

Also, a more mysterious one , at least to me. In a rant against a review of TOAW 1, Norm (on his webpage) said the following:

quote:

All ports/beaches have the same capacity to handle shipping or supply. I am sure the Western Allies wished that was the case on D-Day! If the game's model were accurate, they must have been confused about needing to take Cherbourg or Antwerp. How about weather, or damage from combat having an effect on any of these capacities? These real-world considerations were overlooked too.
Two words: Event Engine. There isn't one item on your list that couldn't be handled with a few events.

Now. How does one models varying supply capabilities of ports in the event engine? Or was this removed from TOAW 1?

There's no direct way. Some tricks, though.

1. Don't have the rail line go directly into any port you want to have a limited supply capacity.

2. Put the supply hex immediately offshore. Same effect.

3. Go over to 'sea roads' and broken 'bridges.' Same effect as above, plus it allows the enemy to potentially disrupt supplies and also allows you to control how many such ports can be put into service at once by controlling the supply of units that can 'bridge' the gap.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 5
RE: Suply - little question - 11/2/2008 3:10:17 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Guys,

I forgot the answer to this one. What is the rationale for allowing an out-of-supply isolated unit to keep moving forever and ever , even if it is a motorized / armoured / mechanized unit and is completely cut from it's own supply sources?

Thanks.

Fewer & fewer vehicles will be doing the moving. The loss of vehicles each turn (due to lack of a supply path) represents vehicles running out of fuel.

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 6
RE: Suply - little question - 11/2/2008 3:13:54 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

See "France 1944". Allied supply levels are adjusted by event upon loss of the American Mulberry and capture of Cherbourg.

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 7
RE: Suply - little question - 11/2/2008 4:54:16 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

See "France 1944". Allied supply levels are adjusted by event upon loss of the American Mulberry and capture of Cherbourg.

This is fine in scenarios where no matter the situation, the player will be advancing from one single set of bases in one contiguous area.

Now imagine you were designing a scenario which gave the Allied player a choice of landing spots. How do you model the comparative merits of the numerous ports from the Pyrenees to the Hook of Holland? There are some workarounds- but no easy solution.

Alternatively, take CFNA. As it stands, the British player can deploy one division or eight at Sirte- he'll get the same supply levels. In reality, he could deploy one division with decent supply, or eight and watch the men starve.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 8
RE: Suply - little question - 11/2/2008 4:55:38 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Fewer & fewer vehicles will be doing the moving. The loss of vehicles each turn (due to lack of a supply path) represents vehicles running out of fuel.

You're assuming the unit is cut off from supply. This is rarely the case in large scenarios with low unit densities. I recall you proposed some other change to the system which would treat these units as out of supply if they were two supply radii past the minimum supply level, but unless the unit has zero trucks, it's still going to keep going and probably at quite a fine old lick- whatever's being carried is being lost as well.

Some sort of system which approximates quantified supply is probably the single most badly needed change- provided it can be done without too much cost to the development of the game. It will allow significant improvements in numerous existing scenarios, and open up countless possibilities which cannot currently be simulated at all.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 11/2/2008 4:59:30 PM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 9
RE: Suply - little question - 11/2/2008 5:59:59 PM   
jmlima

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks. Even though it does not answer my question. But I see from previous posts by Colin and Ben that, despite Norm's statement, it's not really possible. Unless he was also going at supply levels instead of port capabilities.

Post #: 10
RE: Suply - little question - 11/3/2008 4:41:00 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

This is fine in scenarios where no matter the situation, the player will be advancing from one single set of bases in one contiguous area.

Which describes the Normandy question that I was addressing. And, I believe, explains Norm's answer as well. Certainly nothing has been "removed" from TOAW I.

quote:

Now imagine you were designing a scenario which gave the Allied player a choice of landing spots. How do you model the comparative merits of the numerous ports from the Pyrenees to the Hook of Holland? There are some workarounds- but no easy solution.

Alternatively, take CFNA. As it stands, the British player can deploy one division or eight at Sirte- he'll get the same supply levels. In reality, he could deploy one division with decent supply, or eight and watch the men starve.

Unlimited amphibious operations, assuming that's what you're talking about, obviously aren't yet supported in TOAW III (as they weren't in TOAW I - there was even a directive not to attempt island-hopping campaigns). But that was not the question Norm was addressing.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 11
RE: Suply - little question - 11/3/2008 4:56:45 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

You're assuming the unit is cut off from supply.

Well, duh! That was the question I was answering. Clearly, being cutoff from supply in TOAW is very debilitating. The idea that units can move around under that condition without adequate consequence was a misconception.

quote:

I recall you proposed some other change to the system which would treat these units as out of supply if they were two supply radii past the minimum supply level, but unless the unit has zero trucks, it's still going to keep going and probably at quite a fine old lick- whatever's being carried is being lost as well.

Yep. We need an intermediate supply level between "Supplied" and "Unsupplied". Something that is more debilitating than "Supplied" but less debilitating than "Unsupplied".

quote:

Some sort of system which approximates quantified supply is probably the single most badly needed change- provided it can be done without too much cost to the development of the game. It will allow significant improvements in numerous existing scenarios, and open up countless possibilities which cannot currently be simulated at all.

I agree, except about the cost and the need. It will be very costly to code and use. And only a small subset of topics will be able to justify employing it.

Post #: 12
RE: Suply - little question - 11/3/2008 6:27:27 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

I agree, except about the cost and the need. It will be very costly to code and use. And only a small subset of topics will be able to justify employing it.

The thing is, both when it comes to ports and when it comes to the supply deficiencies of OPART in general, this 'small subset' argument is a canard.

First off, most scenarios that do work work in spite of the supply rules, not because of them. Many currently playable scenarios could be considerably improved if a better supply model was available.

Secondly, the 'small subset' of subjects that can't be addressed at all in TOAW because of the supply rules in fact comes to about a third of World War Two. Successful TOAW designs avoid those topics where TOAW's supply limitations would prove crippling. These scenarios tend not to appear in TOAW, not because they are rare, nor because they are uninteresting, but simply because TOAW can't handle them.

I've seriously developed or been involved in the development of five scenarios. In only one of these did TOAW's supply deficiencies not impose a serious burden and limitation.

That's a piss-poor track record. We need some form of volume-based supply. Moreover, as reading previous discussions will confirm, there do seem to be practical ways of getting it.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 11/3/2008 6:41:12 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 13
RE: Suply - little question - 11/3/2008 8:15:43 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

But that was not the question Norm was addressing.

No indeed. It is the question I'm addressing however- and it applies to more than just island hopping campaigns.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 14
RE: Suply - little question - 11/3/2008 8:17:56 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

I would say;
a) it could potentially be very costly to code. I'd say what is needed is an effort by people like you and me to figure out a system that gives us most of what we want at a fraction of the effort. In fact I suggest we use this thread to discuss that.
b) it could be used in countless situations. I'd estimate something like a quarter of existing scenarios would dramatically benefit. About the same number again of new scenarios would become possible.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 11/3/2008 8:18:56 PM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 15
RE: Suply - little question - 11/4/2008 2:00:29 PM   
jmlima

I think the commercial side of things will also need to be taken onto account. I see little interest for Matrix to invest any significant amount of work in TOAW3 , when they are openly discussing TOAW4. And if that's the case, then it's much better to go for a full solution that a remedial patch.

Hopefully TOAW 4 will not end like CA.

Post #: 16
RE: Suply - little question - 11/4/2008 4:43:10 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

I've seriously developed or been involved in the development of five scenarios. In only one of these did TOAW's supply deficiencies not impose a serious burden and limitation.

I've developed ten different topics and I'm working on an eleventh. Only one (CFNA) would benefit sufficiently to justify the cost (to Matrix, myself, and players) of discrete supply handling. And CFNA's problem really hinges on the current infinite supply line thing. We may be able to fix that within the current abstract system - negating even CFNA's need.

Post #: 17
RE: Suply - little question - 11/4/2008 4:48:51 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

I would say;
a) it could potentially be very costly to code. I'd say what is needed is an effort by people like you and me to figure out a system that gives us most of what we want at a fraction of the effort. In fact I suggest we use this thread to discuss that.

I can't get around the need to physically push supplies around the map. That comes with a lot of overhead.

quote:

b) it could be used in countless situations. I'd estimate something like a quarter of existing scenarios would dramatically benefit. About the same number again of new scenarios would become possible.

I think most of those topics you're thinking of would require full scale naval warfare modeling - like WitP. It's more than just port capacities.

Post #: 18
RE: Suply - little question - 11/4/2008 4:59:51 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

I've developed ten different topics and I'm working on an eleventh. Only one (CFNA) would benefit sufficiently to justify the cost (to Matrix, myself, and players) of discrete supply handling. And CFNA's problem really hinges on the current infinite supply line thing. We may be able to fix that within the current abstract system - negating even CFNA's need.

The thing is, the current system rests on an essentially false paradigm: that supply capacity is the ability of the system to supply a portion of each unit's needs without reference to how many units there are.

That's nonsense -- of course. The Germans were able to supply 100,000 troops in the Demiansk Pocket: they were not able to supply 300,000 troops in the Stalingrad pocket. They attacked Murmansk with two Mountain divisions: if they'd sent ten, eight would have simply starved.

Etc. These are not anomalies or exceptions -- but examples of an unromantic but virtually universal truth. The ability to supply troops and how many troops can be supplied in a given location is a fundamental consideration in military operations. I could demonstrate this -- but you'd still argue.

As long as the system is based on a paradigm that is the logical equivalent of assuming that if ten gallons of gas will get one car from San Francisco to Reno, ten gallons of gas will get a hundred cars from San Francisco to Reno, problems will keep cropping up. If a port can support one division at 10% supply, there's no reason a player can't land ten. In OPART-land, they'll all get 10% supply.

Now, over the months, several people have proposed some promising solutions to this problem. Why don't you quit with the denial and work out what you think the best solution is?

And bear one thing in mind -- however generalized or abstracted it may be, the system has to reflect the actual dynamics at work. The current system doesn't -- and that's why it doesn't work.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 11/4/2008 5:05:25 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 19
RE: Suply - little question - 11/4/2008 7:09:10 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

I can't get around the need to physically push supplies around the map. That comes with a lot of overhead.

I'm imagining a two part solution that doesn't require this.

First stage is to enable the game to tot up the amount of equipment in each force and use that as a divider for the supply level generated by supply points in that zone. You could either use the existing weight characteristic, or some sort of calculation based on equipment stats. For example AP strength + AT strength + AA strength + weight = supply requirement.

This shouldn't be too tough. All you need is that formula and a switch which allows you to change force supply from a blanket "25" to some huge number which then gets divided by the supply requirement of the equipment on the map.

The second stage is to allow the designer to define zones of the map. Each hex would just have an additional small integer attribute which would define which zone the hex was in. By default all would be in a single zone.

A number of variables would then be set by zone instead of force;
Base supply of supply points in the zone
Supply radius
Shock and Air Shock
Pestilence
Rail Repair
Rail/Air/Sea transport
Theatre Recon
Nuclear/Chemical Release

This is a bigger leap- but allows all sorts of neat things besides improving the supply model. Some of the above may require significant coding efforts, but they can be judged on their own merits.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 20
RE: Suply - little question - 11/4/2008 7:41:32 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

I think most of those topics you're thinking of would require full scale naval warfare modeling - like WitP. It's more than just port capacities.

In most situations, one side or the other has overwhelming naval superiority. So this isn't necessary.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 21
RE: Suply - little question - 11/5/2008 12:01:54 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

I would say;

quote:

The logic here is flawed. It's essentially, 'since we can't solve the problem completely, there's no point in even improving matters.'

We do need to improve matters, and the obvious path is some form of volume-based supply.

It has yet to be established that this would necessitate 'physically pushing supplies around the map.' Even if it did, the improvement could take the form that JaMiAM suggested: a hybrid adding supply units to the current system. Don't want to push supply units? Don't have them.

In any case, I'm lousy at persuading people. However, I wish you'd quit digging in along the line of defending the current system as 'just fine' or 'as good as we can get' or whatever and put your mind to working out how to address its defects.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 22
Supply Point Values - 11/5/2008 1:27:38 AM   
rhinobones

How extensive would the coding be to assign values to supply points, about the same as we currently assign values to Objectives? 

If possible, then the proposal to define supply zones might not be needed since the physical supply range of a supply point (either with, or without RR transport) would be defined by the supply/distance calculations already in place. 

While on the subject, would also like to open two other supply proposals to discussion.

1)      The ability to move supply by rail should have an impact that diminishes the total amount of RR capacity available to move troops.  Maybe events could be devised that gives the player the option to give transport priority to either troops or supply.

2)      If it is possible to give individual supply points values, then it should also be possible to both destroy (strategic bombing?) and build supply capacity (via Engineers or events). 

Believe that both of these ideas have been fully discussed in earlier threads, but I think they need to be revisited if there is to be a serious discussion in this thread.

Also think that the solutions in this discussion need to address both characteristics of the supply chain.  That would be a) the ability to produce supply and b) the capacity to move volumes of supply.  These are probably better topics for TOAW IV, but I believe that some adjustments can be made to TOAW III that address the attributes of the logistics chain.

Regards, RhinoBones

Post #: 23
RE: Suply - little question - 11/5/2008 9:04:10 AM   
jmlima

quote:

quote:

I think your reasoning, specialy the bit about benefit/cost to Matrix falls apart when even people like Jamiam recognized that the system would benefit from a new supply system, and indeed that would be the case in TOAW 4.

You may like , or you may not like it, but the fact remains, all scenarios would benefit, to a lesser or bigger extent from a revamped supply system. When you say that only CFNA would benefit, then allow me to add another one. I made an Indochina scenario. Without discrete supply, it plays like a beer and pretzels game. In fact, all scenarios in TOAW play more or less like that. Have you eve played OCS? If yes, you know what I'm, talking about. I've never, ever, in TOAW refrained from sending units wherever I wanted. In OCS, quite simply not possible, since minor things , like lack of fuel, or of ammo get in the way. OCS is far from perfect, but it's an excellent example when it concerns supply handling.

Post #: 24
RE: Suply - little question - 11/5/2008 4:02:57 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

The thing is, the current system rests on an essentially false paradigm: that supply capacity is the ability of the system to supply a portion of each unit's needs without reference to how many units there are.

That is not a false paradigm if the number of units being supplied is a reasonably fixed parameter. That's the case for most topics that don't involve unlimited amphibious operations. That's why most scenarios work pretty well in TOAW, provided they stay away from that one taboo.

Post #: 25
RE: Suply - little question - 11/5/2008 4:21:01 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

I'm imagining a two part solution that doesn't require this.

First stage is to enable the game to tot up the amount of equipment in each force and use that as a divider for the supply level generated by supply points in that zone. You could either use the existing weight characteristic, or some sort of calculation based on equipment stats. For example AP strength + AT strength + AA strength + weight = supply requirement.

This shouldn't be too tough. All you need is that formula and a switch which allows you to change force supply from a blanket "25" to some huge number which then gets divided by the supply requirement of the equipment on the map.

The second stage is to allow the designer to define zones of the map. Each hex would just have an additional small integer attribute which would define which zone the hex was in. By default all would be in a single zone.

A number of variables would then be set by zone instead of force;
Base supply of supply points in the zone
Supply radius
Shock and Air Shock
Pestilence
Rail Repair
Rail/Air/Sea transport
Theatre Recon
Nuclear/Chemical Release

This is a bigger leap- but allows all sorts of neat things besides improving the supply model. Some of the above may require significant coding efforts, but they can be judged on their own merits.

1. I can imagine it being very difficult to implement, when you consider just how flexible TOAW is. Areas would have to be dynamic, as fronts shift and split them off from one another.

2. It wouldn't even solve the problem you've stated. You could still supply an infinite number of units out of any supply point. The supply level by itself doesn't impact whether a unit is unsupplied or not. That's based upon communication path only.

3. It doesn't abandon the abstraction we have now. It just adds another massive layer of abstraction on top of it. That means it can only solve that one single matter of port capacity. It still doesn't address sea supply - so no island-hopping campaigns or Seelowe, etc. Those are the very subjects that actually need this fix. So it's not going to be very useful.

4. The port capacity issue is more complicated than you seem to realize. First, ports aren't just receiving supplies. They have to handle reinforcements, replacements, and even base naval vessels as well - that costs capacity. Second, there's cargo vs. amphibious transport. Only the cargo version is limited by port capacity. An LTV can just unload on to any beach. TOAW doesn't even have a distinction between the two types yet.

Post #: 26
RE: Suply - little question - 11/5/2008 4:31:37 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

I think your reasoning, specialy the bit about benefit/cost to Matrix falls apart when even people like Jamiam recognized that the system would benefit from a new supply system, and indeed that would be the case in TOAW 4.

You may like , or you may not like it, but the fact remains, all scenarios would benefit, to a lesser or bigger extent from a revamped supply system. When you say that only CFNA would benefit, then allow me to add another one. I made an Indochina scenario. Without discrete supply, it plays like a beer and pretzels game. In fact, all scenarios in TOAW play more or less like that. Have you eve played OCS? If yes, you know what I'm, talking about. I've never, ever, in TOAW refrained from sending units wherever I wanted. In OCS, quite simply not possible, since minor things , like lack of fuel, or of ammo get in the way. OCS is far from perfect, but it's an excellent example when it concerns supply handling.

The infinite-length supply line problem can be solved without the need for discrete supply. In fact, discrete supply by itself wouldn't solve it anyway.

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 27
RE: Supply Point Values - 11/5/2008 4:41:28 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones
While on the subject, would also like to open two other supply proposals to discussion.

1)      The ability to move supply by rail should have an impact that diminishes the total amount of RR capacity available to move troops.  Maybe events could be devised that gives the player the option to give transport priority to either troops or supply.

This is already modeled by the fact that if you don't use your RR cap to move troops your supply level is enhanced by transport sharing.

quote:

2)      If it is possible to give individual supply points values, then it should also be possible to both destroy (strategic bombing?) and build supply capacity (via Engineers or events). 

What if the supply point is just a map-edge terminal, not an actual supply generation point? And we certainly already have the ability to affect supply and its placement via events/TOs. I'm not sure why engineers should have that ability.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 28
RE: Suply - little question - 11/5/2008 4:47:40 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

In most situations, one side or the other has overwhelming naval superiority. So this isn't necessary.

Necessary for Seelowe, the Med, the Pacific. The very topics that need port capacities.

Post #: 29
RE: Suply - little question - 11/5/2008 6:39:33 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

1. I can imagine it being very difficult to implement, when you consider just how flexible TOAW is. Areas would have to be dynamic, as fronts shift and split them off from one another.

If you want a complete modelling, yes. However, I was suggested a workable solution which does most of the job for a fraction of the work.

quote:

2. It wouldn't even solve the problem you've stated. You could still supply an infinite number of units out of any supply point. The supply level by itself doesn't impact whether a unit is unsupplied or not. That's based upon communication path only.

It would mean that twice the forces would get half the supply.

quote:

3. It doesn't abandon the abstraction we have now. It just adds another massive layer of abstraction on top of it. That means it can only solve that one single matter of port capacity.

And the difficulty of supplying large forces in the deep desert, and the logistical problems involved in campaigns in the Arctic (forget that house rule you have for this in your 1941 scenario), and scenarios with widely separated theatres of combat and....

quote:

4. The port capacity issue is more complicated than you seem to realize. First, ports aren't just receiving supplies. They have to handle reinforcements, replacements, and even base naval vessels as well - that costs capacity.

Replacements- there's another thing that could be split by zone.

quote:

Second, there's cargo vs. amphibious transport. Only the cargo version is limited by port capacity. An LTV can just unload on to any beach.

Any beach which has favourable conditions for landing amphibious craft and good transport links inland, yes.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Suply - little question Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI