Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT - WWII quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/13/2008 6:44:38 PM   
Anendrue

I think it was the HMS Seraph.

EDIT btw your hint made this too easy IMHO

< Message edited by abj9562 -- 11/13/2008 6:45:53 PM >

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to cockney)
Post #: 841
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/13/2008 6:54:19 PM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

quote:

A clue, it was a super-commando created in 1942 by the U.S. and Canadian armed forces. Any idea someone what was the name of this unit?

Devil's Brigade, I believe. What the actual unit name was I cannot recall (2nd something-or-other brigade...).

The Black Devils, this unit was a special secret force, even now I have difficulties finding something on them on the internet. They served in the Pacific then were recalled in Europe in 1944 for the Anzio landings. The germans called them "Schwartzen Teufels", hence Black Devils, because of their ability to pass unnoticed and the black they used to paint their faces. They were the first allied unit to enter Rome. They suffered a very high casuality rate.

1st special service force. They operated in Italy before Anzio and to my knowledge never operated in the Pacific. They used up one battalion taking a mountain , another was decimated on an Anzio break out attempt and the third I believe was used up in France.

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 842
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/13/2008 9:49:14 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

5 inch RN cruiser...Hmm would be waaay easier if you asked for a class with 5.25 inch

Warspite1

Yes it would - but that was not the question . This was just one ship within a class

This Q has been bugging me all night, and I still have no answer
The 5 inch is not typical RN, more USN. And I know one of the RN cruisers took a hit at Malta (I believe it was Malta at least) and was repaired in the US. So I guess it is that cruiser that had her guns refitted as well, but her name?! #¤&%&!!!!

Warspite1

Terje - many RN ships were repaired in US yards due to the limitations of British industry and the volume of ships getting smacked about by the Axis - mostly in the Mediterranean. To put you out of your misery it was HMS Delhi, a D or Danae-class cruiser. The idea between the wars was to re-build these ships as AA cruisers (like many of the C-class) but again owing to a lack of money and resources and with other priorities for the British shipbuilding industry with a war looming, this never happened for the D-class. As a result all the D-class began the war un-modernised. Instead, in 1941 HMS Delhi was sent to the US to be refitted as an AA cruiser using US 5-inch guns. When the US entered the war, they had better things to do with their 5-inch guns and so no further upgrades were carried out.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 843
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/13/2008 10:02:38 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

This General was awararded his countries highest award for valor in the face of the enemy. He was shot in the face and lost an eye in Africa. Lost a hand in France. The General was shot through the head without any lasting injury. Had other injuries in his hip, ear, leg and ankle. Wounded in action no less than 8 times. Survived when his airtransport was shot by enemy fighters killing his aide. Was later taken prisoner after his airplane had crashed due to engine failure. Made 5 attempts to flee imprisonment including a 8 days attempt on the run.

1) What is the name of the General.

2) What campaign did he later descibe as the dullest campaign he had been in?

-Orm
Warspite 1

Carton de Wiart was the General but I cannot for the life of me think what the campaign was.

Sorry - just read your later post - if he was in Mauriceforce, he must have been in Norway - one of the two prongs to supposedly take Trondheim.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/13/2008 10:06:06 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 844
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/13/2008 10:15:33 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

This General was awararded his countries highest award for valor in the face of the enemy. He was shot in the face and lost an eye in Africa. Lost a hand in France. The General was shot through the head without any lasting injury. Had other injuries in his hip, ear, leg and ankle. Wounded in action no less than 8 times. Survived when his airtransport was shot by enemy fighters killing his aide. Was later taken prisoner after his airplane had crashed due to engine failure. Made 5 attempts to flee imprisonment including a 8 days attempt on the run.

1) What is the name of the General.

2) What campaign did he later descibe as the dullest campaign he had been in?

-Orm
Warspite 1

Carton de Wiart was the General but I cannot for the life of me think what the campaign was.

Sorry - just read your later post - if he was in Mauriceforce, he must have been in Norway - one of the two prongs to supposedly take Trondheim.

And I thought I made it to difficult when i asked about a Lieutenant-General.

Your knowledge of WWII is awesome.

-Orm

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 845
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/13/2008 10:29:44 PM   
terje439

quote:

Terje - many RN ships were repaired in US yards due to the limitations of British industry and the volume of ships getting smacked about by the Axis - mostly in the Mediterranean. To put you out of your misery it was HMS Delhi, a D or Danae-class cruiser. The idea between the wars was to re-build these ships as AA cruisers (like many of the C-class) but again owing to a lack of money and resources and with other priorities for the British shipbuilding industry with a war looming, this never happened for the D-class. As a result all the D-class began the war un-modernised. Instead, in 1941 HMS Delhi was sent to the US to be refitted as an AA cruiser using US 5-inch guns. When the US entered the war, they had better things to do with their 5-inch guns and so no further upgrades were carried out.

Ah, then I was wrong in my assumption, altough correct in the origin of the 5 inch
But thank you for letting me keep my mind on my job tonight and not on RN cruisers

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 846
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/14/2008 12:47:01 AM   
cockney

your right, on both counts

never piss off a sgt major

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 847
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/14/2008 5:25:47 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Dubost

quote:

Which Field Marshal was in charge during the worst single disaster suffered by the German Army?

I forget if the man in charge of 6th army in Stalingrad was Paulus or von Paulus, but I think he is the one you are looking for.

Warspite1

His name was Friedrich Paulus (no Von) - but Stalingrad - contrary to popular belief - was not the biggest disaster the German suffered.

Clue: It was on the Eastern Front.

The Collapse of Army Group Centre, beginning on June 22nd 1944. It was due to the Soviet Operation Bagration, which eventually petered out several months later after massive gains and vast encirclements of German forces. It was a strategic surprise and Hitler's meddling and "no retreat" orders didn't help.

I think Busch was in charge at the beginning but from in memory he was replaced pretty early on by Model. I read a book on this operation a couple of years ago. Some of the stories are completely amazing. Some bands of German soldiers managed to infiltrate back to their lines after epic marches, having evaded the Russians for many weeks.

Cheers, Neilster

Warspite1

Apologies Neilster, I missed your response. Yes it was Ernst Busch I was looking for. Hitler sacked Busch after six days - essentially for obeying and carrying out Hitlers no retreat orders!! It is believed at least 300,000 troops were lost and Army Group Centre effectively ceased to exist at the end of Operation Bagration.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 848
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/14/2008 5:28:16 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Some Qs I've been mailed, since they are good Qs indeed I'll post them here;

(Q1) What was the largest naval battle of the Spanish Civil War?

(Q2) Why should the Spanish Nationalist cruiser Baleares not be included in WiF after March 1938?

(Q3) What were Japanese Aircraft carriers and seaplane carriers mostly named after?

(Q4) If the IJN battleship Fuso's name means "Land of Divine Mulberry Trees" what is this also an old name for?

(Q5a) Who is the Peruvian cruiser Coronel B named after (no its not the football team or the collage)?

(Q5b) What is Coronel B's most famous saying?
Warspite1

Q3. Castles and Dragons - I can never remember which ships are which but I think of those carriers that took part in Pearl Harbor, there was Flying Dragon, Green Dragon, Red Castle and I`m sure I recall reading that Kaga means Increased Joy - or was I reading an edition of Asian Babes??

You have been given a point by tha author of these Qs

Warspite1

Terje - are you going to enlighten us on the remaining answers?

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/14/2008 5:32:15 AM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 849
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/14/2008 10:54:00 AM   
terje439

not yet

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 850
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/15/2008 3:41:09 AM   
terje439

Oh well, here are some hints then:

(Q1) Search on Wikipedia using - Baleares ship

(Q2) Search on Wikipedia using - Baleares ship

(Q3) Search using - Imperial Japanese Navy (Nihon Kaigun)

(Q4) Search using - Imperial Japanese Navy (Nihon Kaigun)

(Q5a) Search on Wikipedia using - Coronel Bolognesi

(Q5b) Search on Wikipedia using - Coronel Bolognesi

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 851
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/18/2008 7:40:18 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

quote:

quote:

quote:

A clue, it was a super-commando created in 1942 by the U.S. and Canadian armed forces. Any idea someone what was the name of this unit?

Devil's Brigade, I believe. What the actual unit name was I cannot recall (2nd something-or-other brigade...).

The Black Devils, this unit was a special secret force, even now I have difficulties finding something on them on the internet. They served in the Pacific then were recalled in Europe in 1944 for the Anzio landings. The germans called them "Schwartzen Teufels", hence Black Devils, because of their ability to pass unnoticed and the black they used to paint their faces. They were the first allied unit to enter Rome. They suffered a very high casuality rate.

1st special service force. They operated in Italy before Anzio and to my knowledge never operated in the Pacific. They used up one battalion taking a mountain , another was decimated on an Anzio break out attempt and the third I believe was used up in France.

They were in the invasion of Kiska in the Aleutians before going to Italy. The mountain in Italy was Mount LiDefensa. They were disbanded in France. There was a movie made about their exploits - "The Devil's Brigade", starring William Holden and Cliff Robertson as the American commander and his Canadian 2I.C. respectively. According to the movie, the Americans were the ones no other US Army outfit wanted and the Canadians were the cream of the crop of their army who had all volunteered for the job. The unit is looked on as the ancestor of the Green Berets.

Paul

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 852
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/18/2008 4:33:20 PM   
micheljq

The black devils are also in the old movie "Anzio". Peter Falk played one of them in the film. Darn I am quite sure I saw something about this unit serving in the Pacific before Itay, but cannot find the source anymore, or is it again my old brain with memory leaks.

My knowledge is limited when I compare to that of some people in this forum, but what the heck, I have time to spare, so here comes another question :

An important WW2 leader once called an action in an allied operation "a Stranded Whale". About what operation he spoke and who was that leader?

< Message edited by micheljq -- 11/18/2008 5:57:25 PM >

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 853
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/18/2008 7:42:08 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

The black devils are also in the old movie "Anzio". Peter Falk played one of them in the film. Darn I am quite sure I saw something about this unit serving in the Pacific before Itay, but cannot find the source anymore, or is it again my old brain with memory leaks.

My knowledge is limited when I compare to that of some people in this forum, but what the heck, I have time to spare, so here comes another question :

An important WW2 leader once called an action in an allied operation "a Stranded Whale". About what operation he spoke and who was that leader?

Well, the Aleutians do border on the Pacific.

My guess on your question is Montgomery talking about the Anzio beachead.

Paul

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 854
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/18/2008 7:58:45 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

I know it's OT for a WWII quiz, but who was the last soldier to die in WWI and when?

As for micheljq's last question, I would guess Rommel.

If we are talking about prior to Nov. 11, 1918, I read somewhere or other or watched a documentary saying it was the unfortunate Private Price. However if WWI is not considered over until 1919 then we'd be talking about some poor soul who was killed in the Allied expedition to Northern Russia.

Paul

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 855
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/18/2008 8:48:54 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

I know it's OT for a WWII quiz, but who was the last soldier to die in WWI and when?

As for micheljq's last question, I would guess Rommel.

If we are talking about prior to Nov. 11, 1918, I read somewhere or other or watched a documentary saying it was the unfortunate Private Price. However if WWI is not considered over until 1919 then we'd be talking about some poor soul who was killed in the Allied expedition to Northern Russia.

Well, that opens a lot of possibilities: the Japanese in Siberia and the Hungarians trying to get back home from Siberia and making the journey the long way around (through the Pacific and the Atlantic). Including the Russian civil war that followed WWI seems beyond the scope of the question - there were many different countries tramping around on Russian soil in 1919.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Post #: 856
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/18/2008 9:25:16 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

Well, the Aleutians do border on the Pacific.

My guess on your question is Montgomery talking about the Anzio beachead.

OK for Anzio beach head, but incorrect this is not Montgomery.

Post #: 857
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/18/2008 9:39:42 PM   
composer99

It was Churchill talking about Anzio. He said he had hoped they were hurling a wildcat onto the shore, but it ended up being more like a stranded whale.

Or something to that effect.

~ Composer99

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 858
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/19/2008 2:03:07 PM   
micheljq

quote:

It was Churchill talking about Anzio. He said he had hoped they were hurling a wildcat onto the shore, but it ended up being more like a stranded whale.

Or something to that effect.

Correct. Churchill did criticize the general Clark saying he was not enough agressive. Clark on the other hand said he had not enough support, 2 divisions at the beginning against 6 german divisions.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 859
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/20/2008 12:56:56 AM   
brian brian

I was reading a model airplane catalog that somehow came in the mail and came up with this question...what model of aircraft launched what one could possibly call the first cruise missile, during WWII?

I had never heard of this feat before.

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 860
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/20/2008 3:18:55 AM   
paulderynck

Wasn't it a Dornier (217 maybe) that launched a radio guided bomb against the Italian ships trying to change sides?

Paul

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 861
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/20/2008 10:32:06 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I was reading a model airplane catalog that somehow came in the mail and came up with this question...what model of aircraft launched what one could possibly call the first cruise missile, during WWII?

Another mail from JGN in my inbox today, his reply is;
Heinkel He-111. Used to launch V1 missiles.

Post #: 862
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/21/2008 12:15:53 AM   
brian brian

Terje has the answer I was thinking of. The radio-guided bombs were another first of course, but I had never heard of air-launched V1s. How many times did the Luftwaffe manage that? Thank God Hitler wasted all his techno toys on offensive missions that could no longer affect the outcome of the war.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 863
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/21/2008 1:09:14 PM   
terje439

the did so quite a few times, do not have the numbers in my head, but I believe aprox 500 times or so.

*edit* according to wikipedia - 1100 times

Post #: 864
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/24/2008 4:17:34 PM   
Ohio Jones

Anyone know the source for these wartime currency notes? (I have my guesses, but am looking for confirmation).

http://webhome.idirect.com/~lhodgson/ww2money.html

"In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies." - Churchill

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 865
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/24/2008 10:54:04 PM   
Michael the Pole

quote:

Which two naval vessels - one Italian, one German were named after the same historical character? 

Prince Eugene.

Who was his famous colaberator, who was that colaberator's direct descendant and why was it remarkable that only Axis navys named ships after him?

What was the bizare plan that Louis Mountbatten had for constructing super-carriers?

< Message edited by Michael the Pole -- 11/24/2008 11:02:49 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 866
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/24/2008 11:01:50 PM   
Michael the Pole

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

Another mail from JGN in my inbox today, his reply is;
Heinkel He-111. Used to launch V1 missiles.

Disagree. IMO it was the He-177 which operated with a "pure" ground to air radio guided missle. Actually used in combat against the Salerno landing transports.

What was Joe Kennedy doing when he was killed?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 867
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/24/2008 11:12:30 PM   
brian brian

In my question I was differentiating between the radio guided missile used in the Mediterranean, and the air-launched V-1 (from He-111s), which is more like the modern definition of a 'cruise missile'. I need to get around to reading the wikipedia entry on that, I had never heard of the feat before reading that model catalog.

And I did not know that any He-177s were used in combat either, thanks ... wasn't that one of the four-engine models every WiF player hopes to build once the Germans _really_ get rolling?

Here is an easy question ... which neutral country did Hitler and Churchill both obsess over, to the point that their staffs told them their orders based on these concerns were a strategic mistake?

(in reply to Michael the Pole)
Post #: 868
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/25/2008 12:33:45 AM   
Michael the Pole

He 177

He 177 A-02 production prototype
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Role Heavy bomber
Manufacturer Heinkel Flugzeugwerke
First flight November 1939
Introduced 1942
Retired 1945
Primary user Luftwaffe
Number built ~1,184
Variants Heinkel He 274
Heinkel He 277

Although it appears to be a two engine bomber, one of the many unique features of the 177 was it having two engines in each nacelle.
My best friend and I built an RC model of this a/c back in the middle 70's that had a 60"+ wingspan and an Estes powered Henschel Hs 293 glide bomb. Unfortunatly, it didnt survive its first flight.
Another interesting variant was deployed at Stalingrad mounted with a 50mm cannon for flak suppression missions.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 869
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 11/25/2008 3:05:44 AM   
Neilster

quote:

What was the bizare plan that Louis Mountbatten had for constructing super-carriers?

That sounds like Project Habakkuk. The plan was to construct enormous aircraft carriers out of a mixture of ice and sawdust called Pykrete, with cooling pipes all through them to keep them frozen. Tests were done and, from memory, a small vessel was constructed but the project was abandoned due to the significant technical challenges involved and changing priorities.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Michael the Pole)
Post #: 870
Page:   <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI