Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Invisible combat

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Invisible combat Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Invisible combat - 11/18/2008 9:44:49 PM   
O`Connor

hi,

Just started out with AT and I have an initial puzzlement. In the computer's turn, I see "AI step 1/2/3" etc, accompanied by combat sounds. Evidently this is the computer engaging my forces in battle, and I can see some of the results afterwards, usually to my disadvantage... However I cannot see any actual battles, there's no combat screen or report of results. What's going on? Is there a setting I'm missing that would let me see this?
Post #: 1
RE: Invisible combat - 11/18/2008 10:24:31 PM   
Twotribes

You have to replay the turn, or rather that part you can see. On the lower right hand side is a button to push to do that., You can step through all the turns you saw or you can step through just the battkes you had.

(in reply to O`Connor)
Post #: 2
RE: Invisible combat - 11/18/2008 10:30:18 PM   
Shambling Strider

Maybe you could use the history button (down right) to see the battles and the opponents movements, at least partially?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Shambling Strider -- 11/19/2008 12:22:09 AM >

War is patience.

(in reply to O`Connor)
Post #: 3
RE: Invisible combat - 11/18/2008 10:44:49 PM   
O`Connor

quote:

You have to replay the turn, or rather that part you can see.

Yes I noticed that but it seemed an incredibly roundabout way of viewing battles that your own forces are involved in - I assumed there must be some other way that I was missing. I can't think of anything else in the wargaming genre that doesn't just show you the enemy's attacks and moves as they happen. I mean functionally, the enemy attacking you/you attacking the enemy are basically the same thing - ie it's a battle, either way round. So why not show them both in the same way, using the same display?

- Having now checked the replay feature, I can see its usefulness, and it does give you the advantage of being able to go back and forth over what happened in the enemy's turn at your leisure. It still seems odd that the game doesn't also just show you this as it's happening, in the usual "wargamey" kind of way. Odd enough I would have thought to warrant mention in the manual - "the game doesn't actually show what the enemy's doing during his turn, you have to use the history feature afterwards".

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 4
RE: Invisible combat - 11/19/2008 3:53:32 AM   
SSFSX17

The main reason is because the game was designed to be playable through e-mail (i.e., sending savegames to each other). I guess a possible feature in the future might be to show you your own battles when you start your turn.

(in reply to O`Connor)
Post #: 5
RE: Invisible combat - 11/19/2008 9:43:51 AM   
Twotribes

Ya forget any large scale human versus AI wars, they quickly become snore feasts as you wait longer and longer for the computer to do their turn.

(in reply to O`Connor)
Post #: 6
RE: Invisible combat - 11/19/2008 8:44:57 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Ya forget any large scale human versus AI wars, they quickly become snore feasts as you wait longer and longer for the computer to do their turn.

This hasn't been my experience, but the term 'large scale' is a little open ended. In my expereince the base game with a decent machine can handle just about any random configuration I've thrown at it.

I think once I did 6 regimes on a map size > 100x100 but that's going by memory.

Also, I'm a little patient when it comes to AI turns, I usually get up and try to do some chores or what not and come back to it in a few minutes or so.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Invisible combat Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI