Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Uncommon Valor has Gone Gold

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Uncommon Valor has Gone Gold Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Uncommon Valor has Gone Gold - 4/24/2002 12:37:31 PM   
David Heath

Matrix Games News Release
For Immediate Release

Press Contact:
David Heath
Matrix Games
[email]davidh@matrixgames.com[/email]

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific Ready for Release
Operational Wargame From Matrix Games and 2 by 3’s Legendary Design Team Goes Gold

STATEN ISLAND, NY – April 24th, 2002 – Matrix Games (http://www.matrixgames.com) is proud to announce that Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific has completed testing and gone gold. Co-developed with the legendary Gary Grigsby, Keith Brors and Joel Billings of 2 by 3 Games (http://www.2by3games.com), Uncommon Valor is a completely new operational game covering the campaign in the area around Australia, New Guinea and Guadalcanal during World War II.

David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games said, “Uncommon Valor is the ultimate operational campaign of the South Pacific. Everyone at Matrix Games is extremely excited about the quality and playability of this title. We’re looking forward to shipping this one out to wargamers across the world.”

Uncommon Valor models the full scope of land, air and sea battles in the South Pacific from mid 1942 through the end of 1943. The beautifully rendered game map stretches from Truk in the north to Brisbane in the south. Ships, squadrons and regiments are detailed down to each gun, each pilot and each squad, respectively. While Uncommon Valor showcases a new level of historical accuracy, the interface is designed to minimize micro-management for casual gamers while allowing grognards to delve into the details.

Joel Billings of 2 by 3 Games added, “This May, wargamers will be transported back sixty years to the decision point of the war in the Pacific. History is yours to relive and rewrite.”

Uncommon Valor includes eighteen scenarios and campaigns, which can be played against the computer opponent, hot-seat against another human, or by a secure play by e-mail system. A scenario and unit editor is included to allow players to edit and create their own historical scenarios.

Uncommon Valor Features:

• Historical wargaming from the legendary team of Grigsby, Brors and Billings
• Campaigns and scenarios in the South Pacific from May, 1942 through December, 1943
• Intelligent AI for solo play and Secure PBEM mode for battles against human opponents
• Detail and accuracy without micro-management
• Editor included for scenarios and units

ABOUT MATRIX GAMES
Matrix games produces, markets and publishes historical wargames as well as other computer gaming products. We are based in Staten Island, New York. For more information, visit the company’s website at http://www.matrixgames.com/.

ABOUT 2 BY 3 GAMES
2 by 3 is about World War 2 games done by 3 guys – Gary Grigsby, Keith Brors and Joel Billings. Uncommon Valor is their first design for Matrix Games of a scheduled three game series. For more information, visit their website at http://www.2by3games.com/.
Post #: 1
- 4/24/2002 12:52:33 PM   
Crocky

Congarts guys and all the best with Uncommon Valor

Mike Blair CROCKY

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 2
- 4/24/2002 1:06:14 PM   
Mojo

Hot diggity

If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom

Post #: 3
- 4/24/2002 1:27:23 PM   
PBYPilot

Very, very good news! Best of luck.

Now tell us how to order! :D

Post #: 4
- 4/24/2002 1:37:12 PM   
David Heath

Once we have a pretty solid available date we will start taking orders and let everyone know when we can expect to ship.

David

Post #: 5
- 4/24/2002 1:42:25 PM   
Bliztk

Hi, I have to plan for my exam season, when more or less will be avaliable the preorders???

I want to know is the date would be in the next two or three weekes, because then I have to start studying now to help me to have free time to play UV :D

Post #: 6
- 4/24/2002 1:51:40 PM   
IanLister

Brilliant news, congratulations on a great effort....now I'll leave you guys alone and start nagging the postman instead.

Battleaxe Rules!

Post #: 7
- 4/24/2002 1:53:59 PM   
Raverdave

FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC! Well done guys!

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post #: 8
- 4/24/2002 1:54:14 PM   
David Heath

Once AGAIN this is not SET IN STONE. Sorry about the bold but I always get in trouble for naming dates. I would say the first week or two in May. Once I get a solid date we will post it.

David

Post #: 9
- 4/24/2002 3:52:09 PM   
von Murrin

Oh goodie! I've been lurking for a looooong time reading choice threads and AAR's waiting for this!

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

Post #: 10
Just let us know where... and when... - 4/24/2002 6:12:09 PM   
RevRick

to pony up the plastic! I'll be there! Congratulations and Felicitations, and now I have to explain to my wife why I will be disappearing into the study for several hours in the early morning each day.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Post #: 11
- 4/24/2002 6:55:59 PM   
Adnan Meshuggi

Okay, great, now, must i invade the usa to get the game now ??
To be ernest, how long until i (as a euro) have it in my hands ?
:) :D :D

Don't tickle yourself with some moralist crap thinking we have some sort of obligation to help these people. We're there for our self-interest, and anything we do to be 'nice' should be considered a courtesy dweebespit

Post #: 12
- 4/24/2002 7:48:52 PM   
byron13

First week of May? My boss isn't going to be happy that I'm only giving him one week's notice that I'm quitting my job to play UV for six months straight.

Post #: 13
Yes! - 4/24/2002 8:04:23 PM   
Jason629

This is truly good news......I will start blowing up my calender for mid-may.

Post #: 14
Re: Yes! - 4/24/2002 8:56:20 PM   
Toro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason629
[B]This is truly good news......I will start blowing up my calender for mid-may. [/B][/QUOTE]

Me, I'm CLEARING my calendar for mid-May, and June, and July, and... Being a bachelor is definitely coming in handy now!

Post #: 15
- 4/24/2002 9:25:13 PM   
Slaush

Congrats, that is great news. I had no ideas about UV until a week ago. I was getting the itch to play Pacific War again and decided to see what mods may have been done to it. Next thing I know I am on Matrix page and saw UV. I feel for you guys that have been waiting and following the game. I am very excited to get my hands on it. It looks fantastic!

The problem now is that I know about WITP and that will be a long wait :)

Post #: 16
Another stupid "me too" post - 4/24/2002 9:43:08 PM   
Kawama

I just want to say I really appreciate the apparent fact that this application has been tested thoroughly. As I look at the games on my shelf, I see Talonsoft's logo on danm near everything. I bought almost every game they produced, and still play Battle of Britain and 12 O'Clock High, which I think are simply brilliant.

Nevertheless, success led to quality becoming a *major* problem for Talonsoft. The pressure to make release dates for cash flow reasons is understandable up to a point, but not really a good enough reason to release garbage products. Age of Sail 2 is only now starting to become usable with continued patches. Akella deserves credit for continuing to support the product, but Talonsoft's current lineup is laughable, forced on them by their parent company unwilling to cater to the small group of hardcore grognard types like us.

For the love of Mike, Matrix, please stay independent of some shlocky game publishing company like Take2. That was the nail in Talonsoft's coffin... and Matrix's chance for greatness. I don't so much lament their passing as celebrate your ascention. Just be *careful* and do all things correctly. This game is a he11uva first step down the right path!

By keeping your *costs* in line and be hiring only the *best* designers in Grigsby and company, I think your stable is going to easily outshine Talonsoft's early lineup. Look at them now. Truly pathetic.

Kudos to all, this game is exactly what we've needed for a long, long time.

-k

Post #: 17
- 4/24/2002 9:47:46 PM   
rhohltjr

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Slaush
[B]... I feel for you guys that have been waiting and following the game. I am very excited to get my hands on it. It looks fantastic!

The problem now is that I know about WITP and that will be a long wait :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah that makes us feel much better. :p
Now get in line like the rest of us for WITP.
At least we will all have UV soon. Long live G.Grigsby and the rest at 2x3, and thanks also to Matrix for your part.

:D :D :D

Post #: 18
- 4/24/2002 10:15:01 PM   
Sultanofsham

Great news :)

Post #: 19
- 4/24/2002 10:31:25 PM   
Frost

Excellant!!

now get back to work and finish WITP ,and then get going on the MED and Atlantic. You have your orders now move out ;)

Post #: 20
- 4/24/2002 11:01:24 PM   
David Heath

Euro Gamers will have it VERY quickly.... our dealers will be having orders shipped ASAP FedEx so all of our customers either direct or through our dealers will get the game fast.

David

Post #: 21
I am happy - 4/24/2002 11:03:12 PM   
U2

Just got home from work and read the great news. I am very happy. Strange to be so happy for a game. Dont you think guys?

Sayonara
Daniel:D

Post #: 22
Congratulations! - 4/24/2002 11:26:47 PM   
brisd

Wow - I am thrilled that UV is ready. I appreciate the hard work that went into this project and look forward to playing the latest in a LONG list of Gary Grigsby's games that stretch back to my Apple II days.

Now the wait begins for the game I most want: War In the Pacific!
:cool:

Post #: 23
Re: I am happy - 4/24/2002 11:47:12 PM   
Toro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by U2
[B]Strange to be so happy for a game. Dont you think guys?

Sayonara
Daniel:D [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not so sure. I used to buy lots of computer games (every couple weeks you might see me at EBX or somewhere). But then the RTS Shooter seemed to take the field and push out the real games (sorry for those that might have opposing views -- my sympathies, too). Mind me: I don't care that these games are produced and played, but not to the exclusion of every other format possible. These days, I purchase very (VERY) few computer games. The fact that Matrix is releasing what appears thus far to be a great game of the model I always sought before... naw, not strange at all.

Actually, it's about time someone started producing computer games again...

Post #: 24
Re: I am happy - 4/25/2002 12:42:42 AM   
Sonny

[QUOTE]Originally posted by U2
[B]Just got home from work and read the great news. I am very happy. Strange to be so happy for a game. Dont you think guys?

Sayonara
Daniel:D [/B][/QUOTE]

On the surface, yes, it seems strange. Then when I think about, it is something which keeps my mind active and it is enjoyable. Kinda the same elation I feel when I buy a book that I think is going to be great but the game is (hopefully) enjoyable for a much longer time.:)

Post #: 25
- 4/25/2002 1:52:55 AM   
corbulo

I cant always take the RTS games. I like games that give me a chance to think. I dont like that feeling of rushing against the computer. I like to get a good look at troop dispositions and maps and then make a plan. I do have RTS games, but I am burned out on them right now. I dont have the nervous energy it takes to play them. The most fun I have had is playing turn games against a real opponent. (I am an old board gamer!)
I am glad that people are still makeing turn-based games.

virtute omne regatur

Post #: 26
Re: Re: I am happy - 4/25/2002 2:46:15 AM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sonny
[B]

On the surface, yes, it seems strange. Then when I think about, it is something which keeps my mind active and it is enjoyable. Kinda the same elation I feel when I buy a book that I think is going to be great but the game is (hopefully) enjoyable for a much longer time.:) [/B][/QUOTE]

I also believe that most of us are so very happy because we have followed it's progress for such a long time and so close thanks to this forum ( Thanks Matrix ). And there has not been any good hardcore wargames out there for a while.

Sayonara

Post #: 27
- 4/25/2002 2:53:12 AM   
ratster

50 BUCKS plus shipping and no printed manual!!! your kidding right? :eek:

" If it be now, tis not to come: if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all"

Clan [GOAT]

Post #: 28
Hip, Hip, Huray! - 4/25/2002 2:58:06 AM   
mbatch729

Congrats to the whole UV team. I hope you guys get some well-deserved time off...maybe 30 minutes or so...and then get cracking on War in the Pacific. In the mean time, we'll be honing our combat skills in the South Pacific. BTW, for you Dads out there, do you think I'm pushing too much if I start teaching my 18 month old son how to play UV?

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

Post #: 29
Too young? - 4/25/2002 3:10:12 AM   
IanLister

Maybe 18 months is a bit early...my son discovered Pacwar at the age of 4. Incidentally I ran a Pacwar league for 13-14 year olds here in England a couple of years ago - do you think they'd take to UV?

Battleaxe Rules!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Uncommon Valor has Gone Gold Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI