Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PBEM = marriage?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> PBEM = marriage? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PBEM = marriage? - 12/7/2008 9:02:05 PM   
Treznor

Looking at the scope of the game and the number of AAR threads it appears to me that a good PBEM game has to be conducted by persons that like their partners style of play, be it easy or challenging. After all if you average 1 turn a day you play this game for YEARS

Its almost as if you need to find Mr. Right to have a good pbem experience, I mean after all you will be committed to that person for a number of years. So it basically like your married

If you take a full game length from Dec 41 to 46 and have every year of play equal 10 years of marriage, how does your past 'game marriage' equal up?

"Something 'witty' inserted here"
Post #: 1
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/7/2008 9:19:15 PM   
borner

Good post, and a big reason I have not taken the plunge and bought the game yet. My resistance is weakening though. Once AE is released and there is good feedback from that, I may collect my spare change for a month and try this. By then WiF may be out and I will have a real problem!

(in reply to Treznor)
Post #: 2
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/7/2008 10:03:00 PM   
2ndACR

I would buy it now while the sale is on going. Your learning curve will not be as big. You will at least be familiar with the interface (mainly), have some idea of how big this game really is, plus be having fun while you learn.

This can easily be the game that ends your game buying. LOL

I used to spend 50-100 per month on games. Been playing this since release.......have bought maybe 4 games since release and only 1 still resides on my hard drive. WITP has never left.

Think of it as a money saving project.

(in reply to borner)
Post #: 3
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/7/2008 10:10:52 PM   
rogue

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treznor

Its almost as if you need to find Mr. Right to have a good pbem experience

Uh, does this mean your a woman?

(in reply to Treznor)
Post #: 4
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/7/2008 10:24:39 PM   
Treznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogue

quote:

Just because I use the term Mr. Right does not reflect on my sex. You have to find a player, who in all probability is a male, so I just used the correct terminology.

I would like to know how many partners and their experiences people have had.

(in reply to rogue)
Post #: 5
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/7/2008 10:32:10 PM   
DivePac88

When I firsted started getting into this game, I thought I'dd died and gone to heaven, and every time I play now I think the same.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to Treznor)
Post #: 6
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/7/2008 10:48:02 PM   
dpstafford

quote:

Its almost as if you need to find Mr. Right to have a good pbem experience, I mean after all you will be committed to that person for a number of years. So it basically like your married

Don't be silly. A full PBEM game of WITP would last much longer than the average marriage!

(in reply to Treznor)
Post #: 7
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/8/2008 12:34:31 AM   
Treznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: dpstafford

quote:

Don't be silly. A full PBEM game of WITP would last much longer than the average marriage!

Silly? Did you read the posting?
I will quote myself....

quote:

If you take a full game length from Dec 41 to 46 and have every year of play equal 10 years of marriage, how does your past 'game marriage' equal up?

So to break it down...1942,1943,1944,1945...1,2,3,4,5...5*10=50 ....50 'theoretical' years is long but would reflect credibility on two players who can finish a complete game.

Has anyone had any luck in this?

< Message edited by Treznor -- 12/8/2008 12:41:36 AM >

(in reply to dpstafford)
Post #: 8
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/8/2008 12:44:50 AM   
CarnageINC

Treznor you read it wrong...LOL

< Message edited by CarnageINC -- 12/8/2008 12:45:32 AM >

(in reply to dpstafford)
Post #: 9
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/8/2008 12:48:57 AM   
Treznor

OMFG! 
Sorry dpstafford I'll go hide under a rock now....

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 10
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/8/2008 12:57:39 AM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

So to break it down...1942,1943,1944,1945...1,2,3,4,5...5*10=50 ....50 'theoretical' years is long but would reflect credibility on two players who can finish a complete game.

Has anyone had any luck in this?

I have. My longest game the allied player surrendered to me in March 44. Thats 28 months x 10 = 280 = 23 1/3 years. I have been married 33 1/2 years.

(in reply to Treznor)
Post #: 11
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/8/2008 3:39:01 AM   
Japan

My longest ended 3rd December 1945.

The game im now involved with i assume will go on to at least that date ...

AAR VIDEO
THE FIRST YEAR + THE SECOND YEAR
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2133035&mpage=1&key=&

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 12
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/8/2008 10:39:29 AM   
Honda

Hehehehe, while I still played, I used to tell my wife I was going to attend to my mistress before playing a turn. :)
Raver was caught a bit off guard for being referred to as "the mistress". That's psychological warfare for you, everything is allowed in WitP. Besides, I had to counter the allied sigint advantage somehow...

(in reply to Japan)
Post #: 13
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/8/2008 9:19:53 PM   
khyberbill

Honda, are you now retired? If so, a loss to the community.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to Honda)
Post #: 14
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/8/2008 10:19:32 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

Looking at the scope of the game and the number of AAR threads it appears to me that a good PBEM game has to be conducted by persons that like their partners style of play, be it easy or challenging. After all if you average 1 turn a day you play this game for YEARS

More like finding and getting to know a new "best friend". One of the reasons you need to take a bit of time and discover if a prospective opponant is compatable. Doesn't mean you have to be in love, just that you both have to have a similar outlook on how the game will be played. If you are an "historian", you won't be happy playing a "loophole lawyer", you need to find someone else who feels more the way you do.

But when you find the "special someone", you will soon find yourself getting not only a game opponant, but someone you will probably come to know and like and share other things with. You may never meet in person.., but that's not all bad. Means you can complain about people and things that bother you, and never worry it will "come back on you".

(in reply to Treznor)
Post #: 15
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/8/2008 10:27:08 PM   
crsutton

I have made it to 5/44 with my excellent opponent.

It started off with her on top most of the time. You know what I mean. She was really in control at first. She liked to do it her way and just spent the first decade pushing me around. I gave her what she wanted and did all the dishes to boot. She just dealt out the whupass. Then for a sweet while things balanced and we shared the duties. You know what I mean. One night I got to get on top and she dressed up like a brownie scout and then the next night I was tied to the bedposts while she walked over me in high heels. I have to admit, those were the best years. Now the old witch is fighting off every one of my advances and "guards her flanks like a virgin". As we round into the last decade of our marriage I am beating her like she "owes me money" three times a day and she just sits there and takes it.

Sigh.........Good times, good times.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 16
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/8/2008 11:02:32 PM   
Alikchi2

I don't think PBEM marriage is legal in my state..

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 17
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/8/2008 11:10:11 PM   
Mike Solli

You guys are weird.  Absolutely hysterical, but weird.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Alikchi2)
Post #: 18
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/8/2008 11:28:38 PM   
Mynok

Almost Thread Nuns wierd.......

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 19
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/8/2008 11:31:09 PM   
Mike Solli

Almost.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 20
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/9/2008 12:30:10 AM   
RUPD3658

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

It started off with her on top most of the time. You know what I mean. She was really in control at first. She liked to do it her way and just spent the first decade pushing me around. I gave her what she wanted and did all the dishes to boot. She just dealt out the whupass. Then for a sweet while things balanced and we shared the duties. You know what I mean. One night I got to get on top and she dressed up like a brownie scout and then the next night I was tied to the bedposts while she walked over me in high heels. I have to admit, those were the best years. Now the old witch is fighting off every one of my advances and "guards her flanks like a virgin". As we round into the last decade of our marriage I am beating her like she "owes me money" three times a day and she just sits there and takes it.

I'm confused. Are you talking about your wife, your PBEM opponant or both?

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 21
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/9/2008 2:09:46 AM   
Treznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

LOL...nice way to put it...LOL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

More like finding and getting to know a new "best friend". One of the reasons you need to take a bit of time and discover if a prospective opponant is compatable. Doesn't mean you have to be in love, just that you both have to have a similar outlook on how the game will be played. If you are an "historian", you won't be happy playing a "loophole lawyer", you need to find someone else who feels more the way you do.

But when you find the "special someone", you will soon find yourself getting not only a game opponant, but someone you will probably come to know and like and share other things with. You may never meet in person.., but that's not all bad. Means you can complain about people and things that bother you, and never worry it will "come back on you".

Thanks for that imput, since I'm new I'm not sure the steps to ensure a good partnership. I guess there is no guarentee that another player won't jump ship when things go bad.

< Message edited by Treznor -- 12/9/2008 2:12:36 AM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 22
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/9/2008 2:29:11 AM   
Quixote

Sutton and Alikchi, it's not often a wargaming forum makes you laugh out loud, but that was pretty amusing. There's a future in comedy for you two somewhere. It probably doesn't pay much, but...

(in reply to Treznor)
Post #: 23
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/9/2008 3:15:46 AM   
buzzz123

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogue

quote:

Just because I use the term Mr. Right does not reflect on my sex. You have to find a player, who in all probability is a male, so I just used the correct terminology.

I would like to know how many partners and their experiences people have had.[/b]

errrr..... what exactly ARE you asking???

(in reply to Treznor)
Post #: 24
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/9/2008 3:50:30 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

Thanks for that imput, since I'm new I'm not sure the steps to ensure a good partnership. I guess there is no guarentee that another player won't jump ship when things go bad.

Just "feel them out" a bit during the initial discussion of game settings and "house rules". Most players are fairly honest about what they are looking for in a game---they're facing at a long commitment as well. Look for someone you feel comfortable with...

(in reply to Treznor)
Post #: 25
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/9/2008 4:15:17 AM   
Q-Ball

Do any actual women play WITP? I'm serious, has there been even one on this forum?

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 26
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/9/2008 4:16:49 AM   
Brady

And someone who can average 2 or more turns a day.

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 27
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/9/2008 5:42:40 AM   
bradfordkay

Brady, Chez and I have averaged about 1.3 turns a day and yet we both are very happy with our game (okay, maybe I am speaking only for myself - but I've only once received a "where's my turn" message from him).  Both of us would love to have the time to play more turns but real life constantly intervenes. However, the slow pace of the gmae has certainly not taken away any of the fun we have had in playing this one out (now in mid-November 1943). 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 28
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/9/2008 9:58:01 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Do any actual women play WITP? I'm serious, has there been even one on this forum?

Yes, apparently at least two... the M/F ratio is only about 10,000/1 or so... ... one was up front about being female, the other one was only known by rumor (the first one claiming to know that another female was on the forum, but didn't generally reveal her gender.)

EDIT: There could also be other ones...

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 12/9/2008 9:59:14 AM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 29
RE: PBEM = marriage? - 12/9/2008 9:58:17 AM   
Honda

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

Honda, are you now retired? If so, a loss to the community.

Unfortunately, yes...
As it often is, real life has taken a toll on the poor old WitP pbem. Anyway, it would be impossible to top my last game and, no matter how spectacularly, I would hate to have a game end a finish before March '46. I was actually looking forward to end-game, even more with such a desperate allied situation. Plus, I don't think I want to invest another 3-5 years in a pbem. Right now I need something shorter, and I in some 10-20 years, when I begin slowing down, I plan to spend some considerable time watching the familiar blue and green screen.

Cheers

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> PBEM = marriage? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI