Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

So, I'm trying the british long campaign. How to fight german armor?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> So, I'm trying the british long campaign. How to fight german armor? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So, I'm trying the british long campaign. How to fight ... - 4/1/2008 5:57:43 AM   
Jh316

I know that historically they were at a disadvantage, but how do I fight their armor? I've found the 2-pounders are having difficulties even knocking out the half-tracks. They penetrate easily enough, but the tiny warhead does little damage.

If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Post #: 1
RE: So, I'm trying the british long campaign. How to fi... - 4/1/2008 6:10:26 AM   
FlashfyreSP

Flank or rear shots. Hold your 2pdr fire until you get under 20 hexes in range; the penetration at this point is fairly sufficient. Use masses of armour to defeat the smaller German panzer force. Once you get the 6pdr in 1942, you'll have better luck against the panzers.

Also, the no-kill penetrations on the halftracks is pretty realistic; most of the vehicle was "open space", and any round punching through the cargo area isn't going to hit anything vital (of the vehicle, that is). Only engine or suspension hits would "kill" the vehicle.

(in reply to Jh316)
Post #: 2
RE: So, I'm trying the british long campaign. How to fi... - 4/1/2008 6:20:07 AM   
Jh316

That was fast. Thanks.

If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 3
RE: So, I'm trying the british long campaign. How to fi... - 4/1/2008 9:45:09 AM   
Jh316

Er...

This isn't related to the topic at hand exactly, but I don't want to make clutter with a new thread.

So I'm playing the british long campaign, and I notice that the northover projector of the home guard is equipped with the northover as can be expected, but also with an 8 inch howitzer which I imagine isn't right. I'm using 8.403 and the 2008 DVRN.

(in reply to Jh316)
Post #: 4
RE: So, I'm trying the british long campaign. How to fi... - 4/1/2008 3:26:05 PM   
FlashfyreSP

No, it isn't right...seems we missed changiung that secondary weapon from the old pistol (#114) to the new one, and the game "fills in" the missing weapon with a random one.

(in reply to Jh316)
Post #: 5
RE: So, I'm trying the british long campaign. How to fi... - 4/2/2008 11:53:40 AM   
PimpYourAFV

Historically, when they had the light Honey tanks, they drove up and past the German tanks using speed to avoid getting hit and to close in for a better chance of their little guns working.  Once the Lees, Crusaders and the rest of the medium tanks were online, they began by waiting for the Germans to wander into their nasty 6-pounder AT guns, and then overwhelmed the poor Germans with masses of tanks.

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 6
RE: So, I'm trying the british long campaign. How to fi... - 11/25/2008 12:57:17 PM   
Five_of_Swords

when im fighting the brits as germans, my tanks get torn to shreds by the bofors AA gun. Infantry also. And its hard to spot. Those guns are a serious headache.
Its actually at the point that ive considered using aircraft to counter anti aircraft guns.

< Message edited by Five_of_Swords -- 11/25/2008 1:02:20 PM >

(in reply to Jh316)
Post #: 7
RE: So, I'm trying the british long campaign. How to fi... - 11/25/2008 7:55:05 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Five_of_Swords

when im fighting the brits as germans, my tanks get torn to shreds by the bofors AA gun. Infantry also. And its hard to spot. Those guns are a serious headache.

40 mm Bofors? Even 37 mm "doorknocker" was serious ATG in '39-'40, and 40+ mm will get the job done. Later 75 mm ATGs get the job done (german 75 mm is better than german 3")

quote:

Its actually at the point that ive considered using aircraft to counter anti aircraft guns.

LOL!

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Five_of_Swords)
Post #: 8
RE: So, I'm trying the british long campaign. How to fi... - 12/9/2008 12:43:38 PM   
String

Try using the 25pdr's in direct fire mode?

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 9
RE: So, I'm trying the british long campaign. How to fi... - 12/15/2008 5:55:52 PM   
Maciste

Being historically inacurate, I use the 3inch AA-gun and the 40mm Bofors as at-guns, backed with some Vickers or Lewis (in case I'm defending). If I'm attacking, I prefer to use scouting units, then barrage the area where the enemy armor is, and then I advance with my Matildas (along with some sappers), to clear what's left of it. 

(in reply to String)
Post #: 10
RE: So, I'm trying the british long campaign. How to fi... - 12/16/2008 1:41:55 PM   
Aditya

If armor is used mainly against enemy infantry, then infantry is also a great strength, against armor. The best method to use infantry against armor, would be to keep anti tank guns, and other anti tank weapon equipped army personnel, in the front, along with regular infantry. Keep your tanks in the rear. Rommel was known to drive through the infantry, to the rear of the infantry. This will be quite difficult for the German armor to achieve, if there are enough anti tank weapons, grouped with regular infantry. Then, when the armor and artillery of the enemy are not in operation, the British armor can operate on the German infantry, whether they are motorized, or mechanized, provided their anti armor capability is not available. If the infantry is the target of Armored Divisions, then the infantry must nullify the threat to themselves.

(in reply to Maciste)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> So, I'm trying the british long campaign. How to fight german armor? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI