Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: War Plan Pacific

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: War Plan Pacific Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War Plan Pacific - 10/5/2008 3:52:02 AM   
ilovestrategy

Does Matrix have a Pacific War game that is not as long as WiTP?  I want to play a Pacific War game but not with the detail that WiTP has.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 31
RE: War Plan Pacific - 10/5/2008 6:13:56 PM   
V22 Osprey

There's war plan ornge, but thats just the WW1 version of WitP.I think we need something that is between War plan Pacfic and WitP.Something that gives long and detailed gameplay, but doesn't so much micro management.

< Message edited by V22 Osprey -- 10/5/2008 6:14:44 PM >

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 32
RE: War Plan Pacific - 10/5/2008 8:32:46 PM   
SeaMonkey

Then I think you'll be delightfully surprised with SC PTO.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 33
RE: War Plan Pacific - 10/5/2008 9:31:38 PM   
Frido1207

That´s what i´m hoping for.

(in reply to SeaMonkey)
Post #: 34
RE: War Plan Pacific - 10/5/2008 10:07:50 PM   
bradfordkay

MadmanRick wrote:
"After all those of us that took the time to really learn the game, played it that long before moving on to other things."

It's possible to move on to something else? That's hard to imagine... oh yeah!!  AE!!!

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 35
RE: War Plan Pacific - 10/6/2008 12:41:15 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy
Does Matrix have a Pacific War game that is not as long as WiTP?  I want to play a Pacific War game but not with the detail that WiTP has.

Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided covers the entire globe, including the Pacific.

Steel Panthers and John Tiller's Campaign Series both have some major Pacific campaigns in tactical scale.

Uncommon Valor is like WITP, but covers only one part of the Pacific and has less to manage as a result.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 36
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/11/2008 7:06:54 AM   
GenChaos33

WPP demo now available. Pretty simple gameplay - quick and fun.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 37
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/11/2008 11:39:05 AM   
Lützow

My initial impression about the demo was, that I'm looking into a free browser game, regarding map scale, visual appearance, simplified mechanics, lack of details, missing fow etc. This game is in every aspect quite the opposite to WitP and If I got forced to to say something positive, it would be the fact that KE Studios was fair enough to offer a free trial of WPP.

(in reply to GenChaos33)
Post #: 38
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/11/2008 5:26:22 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: MadmanRick
In its' day VitP was a great game.

It still is a great game.

PoE

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to MadmanRick)
Post #: 39
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/13/2008 10:06:44 PM   
Unhappy

I tried the demo for this War Plan Pacific also and while I'm sure it is too simplified / abstracted for many of the people that visit this forum the game is actually pretty fun.  Unfortunately the demo is only 4 turns long but I find myself wishing I could continue to play.  As Lutzow mentioned it is nice to have the opportunity to try out a demo.

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 40
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/13/2008 11:10:07 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

I played the demo and found myself wanting it to be more like Victory in the Pacific.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

(in reply to Unhappy)
Post #: 41
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/13/2008 11:52:57 PM   
Scott_WAR

I've played the demo several times now, and have preordered the game. The only thing I really hate so far is that things just start getting interesting when the demo ends.......

Post #: 42
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/14/2008 12:34:28 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR

I've played the demo several times now, and have preordered the game. The only thing I really hate so far is that things just start getting interesting when the demo ends.......

I didn't understand the combat results at all. In fact, I didn't have a clue as to what was occurring on the "battle" screen. Hopefully, all that information will be documented in the manual.

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 43
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/14/2008 4:27:12 AM   
V22 Osprey

Wow, just played the demo.

Love the game.

Waaaaayyyyy more playable and enjoyable than WitP.

I was gonna ask for WitP for Christmas but screw that I'm getting WPP.

If they made it full screen it would be better.

Now if we can see an Atlantic Campaign, and a Battle of Britain game using the air combat system that would be great!

Post #: 44
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/14/2008 5:49:47 AM   
GenChaos33

WPP has a full screen button at options menu. Don't know if its for old school screens only, or if it works for new wide screens also.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 45
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/17/2008 1:45:55 AM   
Sarconix

Out of Eight has just reviewed it, giving it 7/8.

http://jaguarusf.blogspot.com/2008/12/war-plan-pacific-review.html

I'd like to see him review WITP; he has reviewed a number of other Matrix games, including CAW.

(in reply to GenChaos33)
Post #: 46
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/17/2008 1:57:36 AM   
Skipjack_

quote:

There is the free download of Pacific War - Gary Grisby's 1992 game that covers the war in weekly turns, no mines, simplified ground combat, supply and transport. I've tried Witp and found Pacwar one level of abstraction up, which helps with playability. A full game can be done in roughly 6 months, if you can keep up a decent pace in PBEM.

Post #: 47
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/17/2008 2:42:06 AM   
Sarconix

quote:

I started a long-ish thread on this very subject here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1919525

I hope that helps. Even if you don't want to play WITP, continue to visit this forum... it's a great bunch of guys.

Post #: 48
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/17/2008 11:16:16 AM   
JudgeDredd

Eddy

You got this yet? I'd be interested in your views

(in reply to Sarconix)
Post #: 49
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/17/2008 12:48:52 PM   
Erik Rutins

I'd seriously recommend that if you want a realistic, but simpler game of WWII grand strategy that includes the Pacific, take a look at Gary Grigsby's A World Divided. I can see the charm of WPP, but it is in no way even close to being a replacement for WITP. It's definitely a fun and quick playing introductory wargame though.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/330/details/Gary.Grigsby%27s.World.at.War:.A.World.Divided

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 12/17/2008 12:52:56 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 50
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/17/2008 1:05:42 PM   
U2

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

It depends on what you want. A quick, fun, less detailed game that will be gone from your HD within a certain amount of months (or not played), or a game you can return to, or continue playing, for years. If I wanted a Pacific game I know which one I would buy. WitP for sure.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 51
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/17/2008 1:31:46 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I'd seriously recommend that if you want a realistic, but simpler game of WWII grand strategy that includes the Pacific, take a look at Gary Grigsby's A World Divided. I can see the charm of WPP, but it is in no way even close to being a replacement for WITP. It's definitely a fun and quick playing introductory wargame though.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/330/details/Gary.Grigsby%27s.World.at.War:.A.World.Divided

I did not get on with GG:WaW at all and never bought AWD because of it.

I might not like WPP, but I know I don't like GG WaW series. I was very surprised at how much I enjoy GG WBTS...I wasn't expecting that gem at all.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 52
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/17/2008 1:33:37 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: U2

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

It depends on what you want. A quick, fun, less detailed game that will be gone from your HD within a certain amount of months (or not played), or a game you can return to, or continue playing, for years. If I wanted a Pacific game I know which one I would buy. WitP for sure.

I've fired that game up and immediately closed it down soooooooooooooooooooooo many times!!! Sometimes, I've even played part of the first turn! But I've never been in it longer than 30 minutes or so.

Problem wit it is....my heart wants to get in there and fight the big war, but my mind tells me to get the hell outta dodge!

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 53
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/17/2008 1:40:32 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
I did not get on with GG:WaW at all and never bought AWD because of it.

AWD is much better than WAW, IMHO, for what it's worth.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 54
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/17/2008 1:41:06 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
I've fired that game up and immediately closed it down soooooooooooooooooooooo many times!!! Sometimes, I've even played part of the first turn! But I've never been in it longer than 30 minutes or so.
Problem wit it is....my heart wants to get in there and fight the big war, but my mind tells me to get the hell outta dodge!

JUST DO IT.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 55
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/17/2008 2:48:55 PM   
Lützow

There are obviously different perceptions of fun.

The fascinating thing about WitP is, how it set you in place of a commander. Despite it's graphical minimalism it creates such an immersive feeling that one virtually can 'see' all those forces unfolding their tremendous power, even there are actually just some icons moving over a map. The only other title which could arouse a similiar experience for me was Hoi2. I didn't start yet, and maybe never will, the grand campaign because I get bored by playing same game over months, but the different scenarios already made it a worthwhile acquirement for me. Just wish there would be some of them, covering smaller sections of the map.

I recently looked into UV, but it couldn't hold my attention as I missed the level of control I'm used from WitP. However, it's still a deep involving game in comparison to WPP which I found poor in every sense and couldn't stomach for more than 10 min.

< Message edited by Lützow -- 12/18/2008 8:33:55 AM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 56
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/17/2008 11:09:30 PM   
GenChaos33

Just received email from Santa that WPP is on the sleigh and on the way. Instead of sugarplums in my dreams, I see IJN-USN warships fighting it out in an old VITP style battle of wits.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 57
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/18/2008 4:08:49 AM   
Grell

quote:

ORIGINAL: GeneralChaos

Looks pretty cool! If you want something with quicker gameplay than WITP AE.

War Plan Pacific

Thanks for posting that General Chaos.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to GenChaos33)
Post #: 58
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/18/2008 5:41:58 AM   
bradfordkay

Judge Dredd... if you were to take all the time you spend here on this forum for two days and use it to play WITP, you'll get a few turns in to the game (if playing as allied side), and thus get a chance to see how cool it really is.

Lutzow... I'm much like you. I used to have to take regular breaks of a few weeks form WITP just so that I wouldn't burn out on it. I'm like that with most games... I can usually only play any one game for about a month before I need to take a break. However, once I started playing a single WITP PBEM I found myself totally immersed and anxiously awaiting my next turn. We do get occasional breaks as vacations, family matters and computer problems stall things but we're averaging a little over a turn a day which is just fine with me. I'm in no hurry to finish the game, just to see what's happening next!

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 59
RE: War Plan Pacific - 12/18/2008 2:12:07 PM   
Hub

I downloaded the WPP demo and played it for awhile yesterday. It took me a bit to figure out what was going on, but once I did I found the game to be quite fun. It is very colourful and definitely plays fast. If you are a micromanager or a detail hound you won't like it. The makers are quite up front in the notes that the game is an abstraction of both land- (for most intents non-existent) and sea-based combat. A micromanager will be frustrated by his/her lack of control.

This game is fine taken in context. Personally, I have what I call my "serious" games (like Conquest of the Aegean and WitP), and my "fun" games (like Panzer General 3D and Armageddon Empires). I spend about equal time in both camps - sometimes I'm just not in the mood to buckle down and give the serious games the attention they require and I get my fix with the lighter variety instead (Save Button, make it so!).  I find it better to divert for awhile than ruin a good game by rushing or playing in a half-arsed manner simply because I'm not in the mood. 

Years ago I played semi-pro soccer. It could be a grind at times. I have just as many fond memories of pick-up games on a sunny Sunday afternoon with a couple of brews in the cooler and the gal pals nearby...  

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: War Plan Pacific Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI