Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/18/2009 7:24:52 PM   
seille

turn 52. Russia.

A very bloody one. George used the good weather turn well and hit me very hard.
Pls don´t think i can easily replace those 600 infantry. I had no reserves since i lost
constant 200-300 infantry during the winter turns, not to talk about autumn 1943.

Attacking myself is the only way. Beeing agressive as possible.
Not showing any weakness. And i had my weak points. Stalingrad front for example.
Fortunately George did not realize the advantage his AG South had at this point.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rominet)
Post #: 541
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/18/2009 7:29:01 PM   
seille

The North.

Massive attacks. I crossed the Bug in force and recaptured Kaunas
Russian Engineers fortified Kaunas area.
The russian air force flew a massive attack against a german HQ
and artillery unit.

I´m willing to fight until the last german or russian soldier died here.
No longer retreats, just attacks.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 542
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/18/2009 7:37:12 PM   
seille

In the south we saw a very quiet Stalingrad front.

Near Kursk i started to build a new little army to attack against
Kharkov. 6 new units, but they have strong german units near....

My attack north of Baku developed well.
I not only built the planned bridge and send armored troops into the
bridgehead for more attacks. I also destroyed nearly all romanian artillery
and broke the enemy front at about 60 Km.
Now i´ll send all i have into that gap and drive direct to Baku (that´s the plan....).

The only bad news is the appearance of german fighter III.
The first air battle saw 1:1 losses, but long term i need either more fighters
of fighter III myself.
But same as in the north. I´ll go for the decision here now !

Attachment (1)

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 543
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/19/2009 12:50:53 AM   
george1972

Germany, Turn 53, April 27, 1944

Despite giving Seille the second-bloodiest hit since the start of the campaign (the other one was last fall when I took out a lot of arty) his troops still had enough stamina left to deal out a devastating blow. My Northern front is buckling under the weight of the attacks and the Romanian right wing simply vanished from the Order of Battle, taking most of its artillery with it...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 544
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/19/2009 12:55:05 AM   
george1972

On the Bug some very bloody battles wage as I try to hit the Russian bridgeheads when they're most vulnerable. However a lack of just about everything means I only manage to fight back 3 units and the Russians keep two bridgeheads over the Bug. Worst of all, my counter-attacking units are within his artillery range.

Near Kursk, the sudden arrival of 5 new Soviet armies stops my "gung-ho" offensive dead in its tracks. Time for yet another retreat towards Kharkov, it will probably be the last one.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to george1972)
Post #: 545
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/19/2009 1:00:49 AM   
george1972

In the South I still try to prevent the inevitable fall of Baku. AG South beats the crap out of the Stalingrad Front, but has gained only little terrain. The outflanking movement in the Don Bend is crippled by air attacks, destroying valuable transportation and robbing those units of their mobility.

In front of Baku, things look hopeless. Despite the dangers, the Romanian left wing clashes with the Russians, with some units getting out of range of fighter cover. It's all or nothing now.

The troops from the Crimea race into the Kuban to recapture the Rostov-Maikop road and perhaps aid in the battle for Baku. But they still have a long way to travel.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to george1972)
Post #: 546
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/19/2009 10:19:02 AM   
TheArchduke

Wow, what suprises is the brutality with which both sides are fighting now. Apart from some decisive clashes you both always traded space for time if the need was here. But now both sides are getting reckless. Impressive.

(in reply to george1972)
Post #: 547
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/19/2009 10:44:30 AM   
seille

George was brutal the whole time, mostly with his artillery.
But now i started to fight back. Wanted finally to break the back of
the Wehrmacht. And i was willing to pay for.

Next turn tomorrow.

(in reply to TheArchduke)
Post #: 548
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/19/2009 8:02:35 PM   
british exil

Real East Front battles now taking place. Close Combat, man against man, Hand fighting, no prisoners taken.

I can almost taste the smell of the battles, hear the screams of the wounded and dying. The noise of battle: guns being fired, tanks exploding as divebombers rain death from the skies.

Great AAR

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 549
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/20/2009 9:19:22 AM   
seille

Russian turn 53.

A very good turn for my forces again. Even i took high losses myself during the last german
turns (alone around 900 (!!!) infantry in the last two turns) i was able
to attack myself.
Partially the germans are now on plain terrain and out of their fortifications which make
things easier. And i have finally some artillery assets in the north and the south which give
the needed support. Same time i continue to reduce the german artillery.
My armies are on a good way now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 550
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/20/2009 9:23:25 AM   
seille

The north.

More brutal attacks. With artillery support i expanded my bridgehead
over the Bug near Kaunas. The germans can´t longer throw me out
since i already started to hit their reserves as well as their HQ´s.
Took out some artillery again.
It doesn´t look good for the german AG North and Center which are melting away
like snow in the summer now....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 551
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/20/2009 9:34:01 AM   
seille

The south.

The last turn was already good, but this one was better.

My planes hammered the german left flank northwest of Baku and the following
ground attacks took out the most units there including some artillery.
The german Luftwaffe did not show up to prevent me from doing this !
My spearheads are now only two hexes away from Baku and they cutted the german road to Baku,
so they will have problems to send reenforcements to the city which is actually defended by only 10 rifle III.
I have to be fast here since the Crimean troops are already on their way.

My Stalingrad front moves his shattered corps back slowly leaving some guards only
at the better to defending points. AG South is here now way too strong to fight against.

A unexpected success i had near Kursk north of Kharkov.
The units i built there last turn did their first successful attacks and threw back two german units.
Little horse driven units supported by some armor. But attacked from different directions with good
staff support, so i didn´t really wonder about

Baku could fall next turn and then i have the production advantage i have in mind

Attachment (1)

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 552
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/25/2009 12:14:52 PM   
george1972

Germany, Turn 54, May 17 1943

There's not much to say this time around. The Eastern Front is starting to crack like an egg being cooked too long. And each crack is weakening the entire structure, accelerating the disintegration.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 553
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/25/2009 12:17:04 PM   
george1972

In the North, I manage to squeeze out a handful of counter-attacks. Running away is not really an option as most troops lack mobility.

Around Kursk a second round of "bluff poker" starts to prevent the Russians from cutting off the entire Southern front.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to george1972)
Post #: 554
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/25/2009 12:19:42 PM   
george1972

In the South an poorly planned air strike runs into an interceptor force twice as large, costing me a lot of fighters. AG South still continues to attack towards Stalingrad, but its commander is starting to look over his shoulder ever more anxiously.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to george1972)
Post #: 555
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/25/2009 4:04:07 PM   
seille

Russian turn 54

Attachment (1)

(in reply to george1972)
Post #: 556
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/25/2009 4:11:10 PM   
seille

The north:

Again some very effective attacks. The german lines are broken
and i seperated AG North from AG Center.
(did not know at this time how the german supply chain was, but AG Center got it´s supply
from AG North, so both HQ´s won´t get anything next turn).

The germans have only a couple of good units here, the others are broken and no match
for my attack forces.

Looking at the current situation it should be possible to take Königsberg within 2 turns and also destroy
AG North completely.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 557
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/25/2009 4:19:29 PM   
seille

The south:

Multiple battlefields here now.

Near Kursk i was successful. Recaptured the city and encircled
the german units in this area. Now i can easily attack Kharkov.

Near Stalingrad i engaged the Luftwaffe which lost 50% of the used planes.
An other attack destroyed a engineer unit completely which was not careful
enough and in "my" territory.

Near Baku i took out the few units and took the city back. A really fast and
unexpected success. Followed the romanians sharply. Overrolled another artillery unit.
Most of the initial AG Romania is now dead or cutted off and in bad shape.
Only the crimean fighters has been lucky enough not to come into the meat grinder.
They started to fleew thru the Kerch straight now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 558
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/25/2009 4:37:51 PM   
Grymme

Aaahrgh. I have been reading this AAR since it started in july last year. Almost feels like ive lost a friend now that i know its almost over. (and pretty much who will win)

Its been a great ride guys. You wouldnt fancy playing some other scenario against eachother and reporting?

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 559
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/25/2009 4:49:14 PM   
seille

I write the AAR in a way i would like to read it myself. Many pictures with comments wrote
mostly direct into the screens, but it´s a lot of work. The salt in the soup are little details like
the forces overview George provided ( i hope he´ll give us a last one when the game is over)
I think about 90 minutes for a turn. Too be honest i´m happy it´s over soon, so i can play more again
Cutted my play time a lot, so in the last 3 month´s i had not a single game running.

Maybe i´ll write another AAR in the future but not too soon. Need some rest now.
In addition i think i´ll fix some little bugs in russia 1941 (just found another: taking back Baku gives a message
the germans burned down KIEV instead of Baku.

< Message edited by seille -- 1/25/2009 4:51:48 PM >

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 560
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/25/2009 5:01:54 PM   
george1972

I must concur with Seille on writing AAR's. To give you guys the "full flavor" of this match we had to add lots of details and this really takes a lot of time. On some turns in mid-game I had to work over 2 hours to make the reports. But then again, either you do it well, or don't do it all

I hope future game designers take AAR-writers into consideration and add some more functionality that helps writing one. Per-turn statistics for both sides and such would be a great help and save a lot of work. But then again, Vic probably has better things to do

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 561
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/25/2009 6:13:40 PM   
hatemf90

I have to ask what program do you use for the colored arrows/graphics and the text?

looks great

(in reply to george1972)
Post #: 562
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/25/2009 7:01:34 PM   
EDGY

Yes, this AAR has been informational, educational and an absolute joy to read throughout these last months! Again thanks for sharing it.  
After seeing such a bloodbath may I make one small request before it's over. Can you please post the total forces lost for each side after you post the last turn? I assume the numbers must be astronomical.

(in reply to hatemf90)
Post #: 563
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/25/2009 7:40:16 PM   
Joshuatree

Well it's not quite over yet... but this sure has been an outstanding AAR. Thanks for the effort you guys have taken so far.

(I was so sure George would take Stalingrad *and* hold Baku....)

(in reply to EDGY)
Post #: 564
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/25/2009 10:48:33 PM   
george1972

quote:

ORIGINAL: hatemf90

I have to ask what program do you use for the colored arrows/graphics and the text?

looks great

I think this has come up earlier in the AAR, but I use Adobe Photoshop for my screens, while Seille uses Paint Shop Pro. The "explosion" graphic is just a standard graphics that comes with the program where I added a little "stroke" effect with some opacity.

The text also has a "stroke" effect added to it to make it appear to "stand out" of the background.

The arrows I created with the standard line tool in Photoshop, with a fixed-size arrow head and again a small "stroke" added to create the colored borders around it. If interested, PM me for a copy of a PSD file with all the layers intact.

(in reply to hatemf90)
Post #: 565
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/25/2009 11:41:51 PM   
george1972

Germany, Turn 55, June 6 1944

Eastern Poland is in total chaos as Russian tanks roam the country side unchallenged and German troop movements get swallowed either by Russian units or huge columns of refugees heading West.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel in the West, every available man is sent East in order to restore the front-line to something that at least resembles a line.

And it is just at this moment that the Western Allies decide to launch the biggest amphibious operation in history. Wading through the surf towards the shoreline, sprayed by machinegun and mortar fire, the Allied soldiers manage to carve out a foothold in Normandy. The only thing they don't know yet, is that they only need to break through the paper-thin German defenses and the road will be open all the way to Berlin...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to george1972)
Post #: 566
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/25/2009 11:42:42 PM   
george1972

The maps speak for themselves...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to george1972)
Post #: 567
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/25/2009 11:46:37 PM   
george1972

AG South executes a 180 degree turn of its front. Still commanding almost a million men, this maneuver would end up in the history books as one of the most impressive operational re-deployments of the Second World War.

(Since there are no battles to talk about, German propaganda has to dig very deep to bring comforting news to the home front )

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by george1972 -- 1/25/2009 11:47:02 PM >

(in reply to george1972)
Post #: 568
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/26/2009 3:24:49 PM   
seille

quote:

ORIGINAL: EDGY

Can you please post the total forces lost for each side after you post the last turn? I assume the numbers must be astronomical.

I can promise we´ll post detailled statistics after the AAR is finished.
We both like the statistics and we´ll present you the numbers.

(in reply to EDGY)
Post #: 569
RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns - 1/27/2009 1:19:35 PM   
henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: george1972

I must concur with Seille on writing AAR's. To give you guys the "full flavor" of this match we had to add lots of details and this really takes a lot of time. On some turns in mid-game I had to work over 2 hours to make the reports. But then again, either you do it well, or don't do it all

For my part I could be satisfied with an AAR having fewer maps (not to denigrate this great effort). An all-text AAR with an occasional map to illustrate important points or for those who don't know where Smolensk or Veronezh is could be sufficient as far as I am concerned. After all, I and others used to write AARs on the internet newsgroups without any maps at all...

After all, the story is the important thing, and interesting biographies like those of Manstein, Guderian and Von Luck hardly have any maps at all, but it still interesting to read about the battles.

So by all means put in maps if you have the time, but if you don't have time, just the narrative is better than nothing at all.

Henri

(in reply to george1972)
Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: George vs. Seille - A Russia 1941 AAR over 60 turns Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI