Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/14/2009 2:43:51 PM   
Dutch_slith

@ Andrew

production of crude oil in the DEI in 1940 (in 1.000kg)

West Java 24
Midden Java 136.469 (Tjepoe)
Oost Java 703.001 (Soerabaja)
Palembang 3.077.557
Djambi 1.210.398 (the oil was pipelined to Palembang)
Oostkust Sumatra 156.488 (Pangkalanbrandan and Pangkalansoesoe)
Atjeh 764.488 (Lho Semawe, Lokop and Koeala Simpang)
Borneo 1.793.148 (Balikpapan, Samarinda and Tarakan; the oil near Samarinda was pipelined to Balikpapan)
Ceram 93.231 (Boela)
Nieuw Guinea 4410 (Babo; oil field still under development in 1941)

oil refineries were available at Pangkalanbrandan, Tjepoe, Soerabaja (Wonokromo),
Palembang (Pladjoe and Soengei Gerong), Kapoean (near Djokjakarta) and Balikpapan

Source: A.J.Th. Boester Nederlands-Indie contra Japan volume II

Harald

< Message edited by Harald Velemans -- 1/15/2009 8:48:15 PM >

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 601
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/14/2009 11:03:15 PM   
stuman

I guess it is too late to request that Memphis, Tennessee be shown on the map

(in reply to Dutch_slith)
Post #: 602
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/15/2009 1:28:02 PM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuman

Not too late to request it. Aint happening, but never too late to ask

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 603
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/15/2009 8:09:05 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

I have a key distance question related to distortion and hex size. Has the distance between Cooktown and Port Moresby been fixed from stock? In stock, it was 9 hexes or 540 miles (Google Earth lists it at 430). The 9 hex distance is outside the 8 hex range of a B25C/J, so the only way to hit PM from Queensland is by using 4Es (Hudsons can do it too, for all the good that does). This contributes significantly to the inability of the Allies to hold and/or reduce the base. In reality, both the B25C and J could have made the run.

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 604
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/16/2009 12:00:05 AM   
wdolson

quote:

Either the map would have to be made 20 hexes wider, or everything shifted 20 hexes. Most players wouldn't want to give up most of India to get more of the US. They'd probably lynch you.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 605
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/16/2009 12:50:40 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

I agree with stuman, some of my relatives live in Memphis.

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 606
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/16/2009 12:41:21 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

I know the issue of distortion was addressed a while ago but I was wondering how happy the map team is with making this fit. Obviously the problem gets bigger the further away from teh equator you get. SO the NoPAC and southern OZ/NZ would be the most effected. I beleive it was said that Oz was 30% too large on the orginal WItP map. Is it any better on the AE map?

Good question! Needless to say on the scale of the AE map (which stretches its coverage a bit further than the original WitP maps) there will be distortion. The distortion gets larger the further you get from the centre of the map (both vertically and horizontally, so it isn't just related to distance from the equator). I have tried to mitigate the map distortion, but it is impossible to eliminate it when representing so much of a sphere using a 2D map.

Having said that the average map distance errors on the AE map are less that on the stock maps (either the official one or my one).

quote:

Thinking backing to the old SPI WItP board game (if you could call a game that took up half my basement a board game) the designers took a very interesting appraoch to the problem. The map was devided into three sections: Tropical, Temperate, and Cold (vs Artic because that would be incorrect below the equator). Hexes were 60 NM in Tropical Zone, 50 NM in the Temperate Zone, and 40 NM in the Cold Zone. Took a slide rule to figure out air ranges and ship speeds when they crossed a zone but the data was expressed in NM not hexes. Actually it was all done in 10 nm increments so 6,5, 4 per hex respectively.

Yes I have heard that, and it was even discussed early on regarding AE, I seem to recall. But in the end we stuck to the same hex system as used in the original WitP (albeit with a difference in map scale).
quote:

Just wondering hwo well the squeezed AE map deal with it

I think the map works OK, even with the distortion.

Andrew

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 607
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/16/2009 12:42:44 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson
Either the map would have to be made 20 hexes wider, or everything shifted 20 hexes. Most players wouldn't want to give up most of India to get more of the US. They'd probably lynch you.

Bill

Except the people in Tennessee, perhaps...

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 608
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/16/2009 12:44:53 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harald Velemans

@ Andrew

production of crude oil in the DEI in 1940 (in 1.000kg)

West Java 24
Midden Java 136.469 (Tjepoe)
Oost Java 703.001 (Soerabaja)
Palembang 3.077.557
Djambi 1.210.398 (the oil was pipelined to Palembang)
Oostkust Sumatra 156.488 (Pangkalanbrandan and Pangkalansoesoe)
Atjeh 764.488 (Lho Semawe, Lokop and Koeala Simpang)
Borneo 1.793.148 (Balikpapan, Samarinda and Tarakan; the oil near Samarinda was pipelined to Balikpapan)
Ceram 93.231 (Boela)
Nieuw Guinea 4410 (Babo; oil field still under development in 1941)

oil refineries were available at Pangkalanbrandan, Tjepoe, Soerabaja (Wonokromo),
Palembang (Pladjoe and Soengei Gerong), Kapoean (near Djokjakarta) and Balikpapan

Source: A.J.Th. Boester Nederlands-Indie contra Japan volume II

Harald

Great stuff Harald, as always! This corresponds pretty closely with what I already had, but I have made use of these figures to fine tune the data. The biggest change is that your figures indicate that there was a lot more oil being produced at Soerabaja than I realised.

Andrew

Post #: 609
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/16/2009 1:03:56 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wirraway_Ace

I have a key distance question related to distortion and hex size. Has the distance between Cooktown and Port Moresby been fixed from stock? In stock, it was 9 hexes or 540 miles (Google Earth lists it at 430). The 9 hex distance is outside the 8 hex range of a B25C/J, so the only way to hit PM from Queensland is by using 4Es (Hudsons can do it too, for all the good that does). This contributes significantly to the inability of the Allies to hold and/or reduce the base. In reality, both the B25C and J could have made the run.

On the AE map, the distance between Cooktown and PM is also 9 hexes. But AE hexes are 40 nautical miles per hex (so smaller than stock hexes). Looking at the stats for the B-25s in AE I can see that this is within extended range of the B-25B, B-25H, B-25J1 and B-25J11, and within normal range (just) of the B-25C and B-25G. I hope that answers the question?

Andrew

(in reply to Wirraway_Ace)
Post #: 610
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/16/2009 1:13:27 PM   
USSAmerica

Andrew, I'm a map geek, and I just want to say that you are my hero! 

The wallpaper on my laptop is the Stock map graphic that someone put together from the individual map files.  I would like to order an AE map composite file, please. 

Thanks for all the hard work and incredible attention to detail. 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 611
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/16/2009 1:24:40 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

Andrew, I'm a map geek, and I just want to say that you are my hero! 

The wallpaper on my laptop is the Stock map graphic that someone put together from the individual map files.  I would like to order an AE map composite file, please. 

Thanks for all the hard work and incredible attention to detail. 

Thanks! I am sure I will be able to provide a composite map at some point.

Andrew

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 612
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/16/2009 4:01:57 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

On the AE map, the distance between Cooktown and PM is also 9 hexes. But AE hexes are 40 nautical miles per hex (so smaller than stock hexes). Looking at the stats for the B-25s in AE I can see that this is within extended range of the B-25B, B-25H, B-25J1 and B-25J11, and within normal range (just) of the B-25C and B-25G. I hope that answers the question?

Andrew

Perfect. Thanks Andrew. 9*40*6000/5280 = 409 miles. Much, much closer to reality for this important relationship--and within the appropriate range of the various models of B25.

< Message edited by Wirraway_Ace -- 1/16/2009 4:19:46 PM >

Post #: 613
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/16/2009 6:36:53 PM   
m10bob

quote:

quote:

quote:

Andrew

Perfect. Thanks Andrew. 9*40*6000/5280 = 409 miles. Much, much closer to reality for this important relationship--and within the appropriate range of the various models of B25.

Andrew pioneered the concept of extended maps for WITP. It is not a new thing to him. IIRC to get his first (shared) map, he pulled some things over, angled other things, and when done started measuring one point against another, many different angles to get the locations pretty close to where they belonged in relation to one another. Lots of triangulation checks.
When CHS was released with the extended map, I suspect at least a quarter of the WITP freaks went with it, (and would never look back.)
For those wanting "more" WITP, an extended map was the only way to fly, since it offered "more" of the theatre, and opened other areas of strategic consideration.
Mr Brown will not toot his own horn, he seems too busy.........

< Message edited by m10bob -- 1/16/2009 6:37:04 PM >

(in reply to Wirraway_Ace)
Post #: 614
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/16/2009 7:01:49 PM   
Dutch_slith

quote:

Great stuff Harald, as always! This corresponds pretty closely with what I already had, but I have made use of these figures to fine tune the data. The biggest change is that your figures indicate that there was a lot more oil being produced at Soerabaja than I realised.

Andrew

Some more interesting facts...

Balikpapan produced 1.200.000 tons of crude oil. The only oil field in the vicinity of Balikpapan was Sambodja (about 45km NE of Balikpapan). Sambodja had 10 european and several hundred native employees, Sanga Sanga or Louise (the most important oil field, located near Samarinda) had 70 european and 7.000 native employees...
The third oil field providing oil for Balikpapan was north of the Mahakam river (also near Samarinda).

Post #: 615
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/16/2009 7:05:35 PM   
cantona2

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

quote:

quote:

quote:

Andrew

Andrew pioneered the concept of extended maps for WITP. It is not a new thing to him. IIRC to get his first (shared) map, he pulled some things over, angled other things, and when done started measuring one point against another, many different angles to get the locations pretty close to where they belonged in relation to one another. Lots of triangulation checks.
When CHS was released with the extended map, I suspect at least a quarter of the WITP freaks went with it, (and would never look back.)
For those wanting "more" WITP, an extended map was the only way to fly, since it offered "more" of the theatre, and opened other areas of strategic consideration.
Mr Brown will not toot his own horn, he seems too busy.........

The we shall toot it for him TOOT TOOT

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 616
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/16/2009 9:36:26 PM   
HMSWarspite

Thought for the day: why isn't the map projected on to a sphere - that sorts the distortion issue. only needs a map change, no game engine ones...

I have a cunning plan, My Lord

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 617
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/16/2009 10:19:42 PM   
vettim89

I wondered that myself except for the fact that it would require a new graphic s engine. That would require adding a lot of code. Also, you don't really know how much the map subroutine is burried in the existing code. Code be a lot harder then you might think. Would be an awesome addition but I would never begin to ask the AE to undertake it.

Even though it would be REALLY, REALLY cool.

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to HMSWarspite)
Post #: 618
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/17/2009 12:43:35 AM   
bradfordkay

Yeah, but we can ask for WITP2 to be on a spherical map, with at least four zoom levels. After all, if WITP2 does ever come out, it's likely to be the last one most of us will ever play (or see...). 

And if we ever wrote it - it would certainly be the last game we ever wrote!

< Message edited by jwilkerson -- 1/17/2009 4:00:50 AM >

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 619
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/17/2009 1:22:27 AM   
wdolson

Making the map psherical was way out of scope for this project.  It would require major surgery to the game engine and that would have rippling effects everywhere in the code. 

If and when WitP II is done, it will have a more accurate map built in from the ground up.

Bill

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 620
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/17/2009 1:35:24 AM   
stuman

Well, I would really like to avoid the lynching thing. Can I please , respectfully, withdraw my request ?

< Message edited by stuman -- 1/17/2009 1:36:05 AM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 621
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/17/2009 1:40:14 AM   
Terminus

Nope, it's out there now. After the weekend, look for the new estimated release date.

Sometime in 2014.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 622
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/17/2009 2:23:26 AM   
stuman

2014 ? I just might be getting the hang of stock WiTP by then.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 623
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/17/2009 6:49:24 AM   
witpqs

2014 - what calendar is that on?

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 624
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/17/2009 10:12:54 AM   
rockmedic109

Can't be the Mayan calender...that stops in 2012.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 625
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/17/2009 11:45:55 AM   
stuman

If that's the case does it mean the world is going to end before AE is finished ?

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 626
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/17/2009 1:45:26 PM   
wdolson

No, the release of AE was what they were predicting.  The calendar ends because everyone is too embroiled in the game to maintain calendars anymore. :)

Bill

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 627
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 2/3/2009 7:19:21 PM   
vettim89

Was looking at the AAR's belwo and .....

If it not too nitpicky, caould you guys change it from PH to Oahu? I have always hated this. The bases on the Island are far more than just PH (hickam, Wheelr, Ewa, Bellows, etc, etc, etc)

Post #: 628
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 2/3/2009 8:48:14 PM   
RevRick

quote:

If it not too nitpicky, caould you guys change it from PH to Oahu? I have always hated this. The bases on the Island are far more than just PH (hickam, Wheelr, Ewa, Bellows, etc, etc, etc)

Do you really mean that???? You know this will set the timetable back by at least 60 days, and that's if Terminus doesn't get ahold of it before the others...

I don't care it they call it Tishamingo as long as the game gets out....

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 629
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 2/3/2009 9:57:30 PM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: RevRick

quote:

Do you really mean that???? You know this will set the timetable back by at least 60 days, and that's if Terminus doesn't get ahold of it before the others...

I don't care it they call it Tishamingo as long as the game gets out....

Pleeeeeeaaazszze. open file, click base name, back space twelve times, O-A-H-U. Done

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI