Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Carriers at War 1 or 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Carriers at War 1 or 2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carriers at War 1 or 2 - 8/28/2001 12:38:00 AM   
MNH1862

Hello, Could you gents provide me some feedback on Carriers at War 1 or 2 by SSG....How would you rate it?????

Texans always move em!
Post #: 1
- 8/28/2001 9:02:00 AM   
abradley

quote:

Originally posted by MNH1862:
Hello, Could you gents provide me some feedback on Carriers at War 1 or 2 by SSG....How would you rate it?????
I liked both CAW 1/2 and CS, each has it's strength and weakness.
Carrier Strike has campaigns, Carriers at War doesn't but has land based aircraft and a powerful scenerio editor/creator which CS doesn't have.
Basically I feel they complement each other.
One point, the surface combat in CAW is misrable (but necessary?). [ August 27, 2001: Message edited by: abradley ]

"This situation we face – Suicidal maniacs from a failed civilization want to murder us all, and most people don’t believe it is really happening – sounds like something out of a science fiction novel by Philip K. Dick. But it is real. " ChicagoBoyz

(in reply to MNH1862)
Post #: 2
- 8/29/2001 7:27:00 AM   
MNH1862

Thanks for the info....I think I will wait for Uncommon Valor.....

Texans always move em!

(in reply to MNH1862)
Post #: 3
- 8/29/2001 10:46:00 PM   
Sgt Shultz

Hello, Remember, we're talking about a game that is almost a decade old - back when a 386 was FAST, 80meg Hard Drives were Huge, 4mb of RAM was more than anybody would ever need, a mouse was commonly confused with the kind that eats cheese, and a 640 x 480 display was High-Res!! FYI Carriers at War was originally created by SSG for the Commodore 64 (Tells you how old I am) in the early 80's. Was very heavily based upon Battleline's (and the later Avalon Hill) board game named 'Flattop' (yup, I still have those sitting around too!!). Thus a campaign type system was never a part of the game, although with the CAW Editor the OOB's of follow-on battles can be edited per the results of a previous one. If you think the surface combat is abstract, you should have played the Commodore original, or the Board Games. Emphasis of CAW is Carrier strategy/tactics. Would be nice if SSG visited the CAW games again. With today's computer capabilities, they could take a very good game and make it really something awesome. SSG still offers the series (CAW1, 2, and Editor) on a CDROM. That a 10 yr old DOS game (really 20, if you consider the Commodore roots) is still available from the original publisher should say something about it's current market popularity. How many other 10+yr old games are still offered/supported by the original publisher today - very few!! As you may be able to tell, I really like the game. If you like something that is a good strategy/tactics exercise, with a pretty decent AI (does become somewhat predictable after numerous plays - kind of like understanding the mind of your enemy) and don't need arcade-style graphics/sound - then perhaps you should give it a go. You may be pleasantly surprised at what this older piece of software can do. Have a good one!! [ August 29, 2001: Message edited by: Sgt Shultz ]

(in reply to MNH1862)
Post #: 4
- 8/30/2001 1:33:00 AM   
John Turesson

quote:

Originally posted by MNH1862:
Good Enough for me to put it back on the new computer some weeks ago.
I do like the historical research done and, OK no flashy graphics but it is still Very tense to look at the incoming Air raids. I have a CD "the complete carriers at war"
Don't know the difference of CAW 1 or 2. John T.

(in reply to MNH1862)
Post #: 5
- 8/30/2001 5:06:00 AM   
abradley

quote:

Originally posted by Sgt Shultz:
Hello,
As you may be able to tell, I really like the game. If you like something that is a good strategy/tactics exercise, with a pretty decent AI (does become somewhat predictable after numerous plays - kind of like understanding the mind of your enemy) and don't need arcade-style graphics/sound - then perhaps you should give it a go. You may be pleasantly surprised at what this older piece of software can do. Have a good one!! [ August 29, 2001: Message edited by: Sgt Shultz ]

Fully agree

"This situation we face – Suicidal maniacs from a failed civilization want to murder us all, and most people don’t believe it is really happening – sounds like something out of a science fiction novel by Philip K. Dick. But it is real. " ChicagoBoyz

(in reply to MNH1862)
Post #: 6
- 8/30/2001 5:13:00 AM   
abradley

quote:

Originally posted by John Turesson:
Good Enough for me to put it back on the new computer some weeks ago.
I do like the historical research done and, OK no flashy graphics but it is still Very tense to look at the incoming Air raids. I have a CD "the complete carriers at war"
Don't know the difference of CAW 1 or 2. John T.

The Complete Carriers at War is both the DOS Caw and Caw2 combined and on one disk plus a few more scenerios, including some from the European theater.
The Difference between CAW and CAW2 was the editor and maybe some scenerios. It and Carrier Strike are still on my harddisk. [ August 29, 2001: Message edited by: abradley ]

(in reply to MNH1862)
Post #: 7
- 8/30/2001 5:16:00 AM   
KG Erwin

I got a copy of the Complete CAW CD, too, and I agree with the assessments made so far. The editor is a good one, but a bit clunky IMO. It amazes me how far PC games have come in just 6-7 years, and I still think that SSG should update and gussie up CAW to make it more user friendly for the Windows environment. However, the database is impressive, and there was even a "Final Conflict" scenario added in, just for fun. Wanna take the Nimitz to Midway? Here you can.

(in reply to MNH1862)
Post #: 8
- 8/30/2001 8:43:00 AM   
abradley

quote:

Originally posted by KG Erwin:
I got a copy of the Complete CAW CD, too, and I agree with the assessments made so far. The editor is a good one, but a bit clunky IMO. It amazes me how far PC games have come in just 6-7 years, and I still think that SSG should update and gussie up CAW to make it more user friendly for the Windows environment. However, the database is impressive, and there was even a "Final Conflict" scenario added in, just for fun. Wanna take the Nimitz to Midway? Here you can.
Loved the "Final Conflict" scenerio, whenever I'd get frustrated I'd load it and bash the Japanese to get rid of all the hostilities.

(in reply to MNH1862)
Post #: 9
- 8/30/2001 9:20:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Yeah, that scen is a hoot, but I just remembered I got the movie titled wrong--it was called "The Final Countdown", which makes even less sense (The Nimitz time-transported to the Pearl Harbor area). With the editor, you could put the Nimitz and its jets wherever you want. What the hell was Kirk Douglas thinking? Nevertheless, it's fun for sci-fi alternate history fans (like me). [ August 29, 2001: Message edited by: KG Erwin ]

(in reply to MNH1862)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Carriers at War 1 or 2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI