Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Beta Path v1.030

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Limited Public Beta Feedback >> RE: Beta Path v1.030 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Beta Path v1.030 - 9/17/2008 5:38:47 AM   
WanderingHead

quote:

ORIGINAL: GShock
Working as intended that all sea units can, after attacking, still move back to safety?

All units may move after they have attacked, provided that they have enough movement points remaining. Since naval units have the most MPs, it is most obvious for them.

So yes, WAD.

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 31
RE: Beta Path v1.030 - 9/22/2008 9:21:21 PM   
rjh1971

Hi Brian:
I started a solo game against the ai and I had two CV with their cags blocking the entrance to the North Atlantic. When the AI finally decided to throw their subs to attack the allied shiping, I got a target fortification of +1 in the evasion mod.

Doesn't sound well to me, submarines with fortifications in the Atlantic? Then again reading the combat results has always been my nightmare so i could be missing something.

I'm sending you the autosave where you can reproduce the situation.

Regards Rafael

Attachment (1)

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to WanderingHead)
Post #: 32
RE: Beta Path v1.030 - 9/27/2008 6:33:22 AM   
WanderingHead

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjh1971
I started a solo game against the ai and I had two CV with their cags blocking the entrance to the North Atlantic. When the AI finally

It is computing some of the op-fire combat as though it were in the sub's starting location (W Germany, a winter and fortified region).

This is subtle. I think I can see exactly how to change it but I can't be sure it wouldn't introduce another subtle bug. Not sure if I will ever have the chance to pursue this further.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 33
RE: Beta Path v1.030 - 9/27/2008 11:34:31 AM   
WanderingHead

quote:

ORIGINAL: WanderingHead
quote:

ORIGINAL: rjh1971
I started a solo game against the ai and I had two CV with their cags blocking the entrance to the North Atlantic. When the AI finally

It is computing some of the op-fire combat as though it were in the sub's starting location (W Germany, a winter and fortified region).

This is subtle. I think I can see exactly how to change it but I can't be sure it wouldn't introduce another subtle bug. Not sure if I will ever have the chance to pursue this further.

BTW, it appears that this is only an issue for the AI. That is because the AI doesn't "pick up" a unit with the cursor in order to move it. This sort of hides the unit's location in the op-fire combat routines and hence makes it use the unit's original region (normally for a human player the unit's location for op-fire combat is obtained from the so-called "hand" that is holding the unit).

That may be a rather esoteric explanation, but the bottom line is that I don't see an easy way to fix it and the issue is only for the AI and even then is rather subtle and rare and I think I will ignore it.

Post #: 34
RE: Beta Path v1.030 - 9/27/2008 10:24:46 PM   
rjh1971

If it only happens with the AI then I'm with you, better ignore it than trying to fix it and open a can of worms.

Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

Post #: 35
RE: Beta Path v1.030 - 1/30/2009 9:07:14 PM   
Marshall Art

I found out that not only French units try to leave via Dunkirk but French rail does, too! I even repaired it, so that England now has a rail capacity of 95. Cool, if only Scotland could catch up 

Brian, if you want me to I can send you the file. PM me with your Email please.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Marshall Art -- 1/30/2009 9:08:48 PM >

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 36
RE: Beta Patch v1.030 - 2/20/2009 5:47:44 AM   
NerdDog

Wanderinghead, I believe you said you are a volunteer and have been working on the bugs reported in Beta 1.030. I realize time is short at times. You mentioned you hoped to have 1.04 released in the Christmas/January timeframe. Any update on a possilbe release of the corrected beta? Thanks for your hard work.

Post #: 37
RE: Beta Patch v1.030 - 2/21/2009 5:34:10 AM   
WanderingHead

quote:

ORIGINAL: NerdDog
Wanderinghead, I believe you said you are a volunteer and have been working on the bugs reported in Beta 1.030. I realize time is short at times. You mentioned you hoped to have 1.04 released in the Christmas/January timeframe. Any update on a possilbe release of the corrected beta? Thanks for your hard work.

Let me volunteer one of my flaws. I tend to like to tweak and tweak and get it perfect. I tend to be afraid to draw the line and say "it's done!".

Last Sunday I went in and made the game relatively gracefully handle different graphics resolutions. It isn't perfect, not quite what I would want out of a professional release, but you can now set it to run at any resolution greater than 1024x768 which from a practical play point of view is awesome (it looks an awful lot like Lebatron's trick and the graphics mod to support it, it is just configurable in the game and built in).

Anyway, there is a version that a few people are playing to help point out problems or bugs. It looks good to me so far. Perhaps it is time to draw the line and release it.

I'll ping the testers this weekend, see if they've found any problems. If not, I'll try to get the ball rolling.

(in reply to NerdDog)
Post #: 38
RE: Beta Patch v1.030 - 2/21/2009 6:01:39 AM   
WanderingHead

Here's what the recent change for screen resolution looks like. AWD is running at 1200x900, my screen at 1280x1024, and the screen capture resolution is halved to 640x512 for the JPG image.

The black fill is the easiest thing to do with the extra space for all of the windows other than the map.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by WanderingHead -- 2/21/2009 6:04:20 AM >

Post #: 39
RE: Beta Patch v1.030 - 2/21/2009 6:02:25 AM   
WanderingHead

-

Attachment (1)

Post #: 40
RE: Beta Patch v1.030 - 2/22/2009 2:11:02 AM   
NerdDog

Ah, thanks! That'd be terrific. Curiosity question...even though you would like for the game to be perfect for final release, isn't there a way to release pre-perfect versions as you nail certain sections down? In particular I'm thinking of corrections to game play that have been resolved such as the Japanese surrender problem if the allies Abomb them prior to Russia attacking Japan. I'm not sure how much effort it is to place the patches in the beta download section, if it's a hassle I can understand why you are hesitant to release them. Thanks again. The NerdDog.

Post #: 41
RE: Beta Patch v1.030 - 2/22/2009 9:41:30 AM   
WanderingHead

quote:

isn't there a way to release pre-perfect versions as you nail certain sections down?

Well, yeah. Sort of. Or, maybe I could try to lower the bar. Part of it is being very reluctant to ship until I am sure I haven't added any new bugs. Part of it is that historically the final wrap up has taken a long time after it is out of my hands. If I could package it and post it on Matrix myself then I think I would do it much more frequently, but there are a few people that get involved. And once I get that ball rolling, if anything new comes up it is a little harder to change.

I don't want to overplay it, it is mostly my own fear of commitment ;).

Anyway, I'm not waiting now. I just need to clean some things up (code comments, documentation, finalize a couple of scenario things). I hope to be able to get the ball rolling tomorrow night.

(in reply to NerdDog)
Post #: 42
RE: Beta Patch v1.030 - 2/23/2009 11:03:25 AM   
WanderingHead

And finally, just cleaning up, tieing up loose ends, updating documentation, takes a surprisingly long time.

I'm afraid I didn't quite finish all this tonight. Since I'm busy at work this week, there is a chance it slips to next weekend. But I hope I can finish my part sooner.

Post #: 43
RE: Beta Patch v1.030 - 2/23/2009 2:02:41 PM   
GKar

quote:

ORIGINAL: WanderingHead

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfiles/14124/8F385D06C44B42B1A6BFCD05AFF9F5FA.jpg

Looking great! And this will be in the next patch?

(I know it can be done already, it's just that I'm too lazy to do it every time I start the game. )

Post #: 44
RE: Beta Patch v1.030 - 2/23/2009 3:21:46 PM   
rjh1971

The game will fit the screen completely without having to change the resolution back and forward. I run it at 1680*1050 and it ¡s real cool.

Brian has made some excellent changes in the new to be patch, you're going to love them. Can't wait till it is offically released and we all have the same versions.

Good Work Brian

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 45
RE: Beta Patch v1.030 - 3/11/2009 10:19:00 PM   
NerdDog

Ok, I wasn't aware of the additional layers you needed to go through to post the changes. Thanks for your hard work. I hope that cleaning up doesn't involve a tremendous amount of work for you.

Post #: 46
RE: Beta Patch v1.030 - 3/13/2009 5:29:02 PM   
WanderingHead

quote:

Ok, I wasn't aware of the additional layers you needed to go through to post the changes. Thanks for your hard work. I hope that cleaning up doesn't involve a tremendous amount of work for you.

From decision on 2/22 to release on 3/13, 19 days! Not bad.

Thank you for pushing me to release it. It was clearly the right thing to do.

Hope you all enjoy!

(in reply to NerdDog)
Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Limited Public Beta Feedback >> RE: Beta Path v1.030 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI