Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: When?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: When? Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: When? - 2/4/2009 1:52:27 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
Oh, and in my conversation with Erik, we decided to put together a short training video for the game. I am thinking along the lines of one impulse where Germany takes a land action and Italy & Japan take a naval and a combined (which does which isn’t clear to me yet).

I'd vote for the Japanese Combined to show invading a Pacific island and let Italy do the Naval.

I suggest you let Japan do the naval and let Italy do a combined special operation. Perhaps Italy can do a combined paradrop and invasion on malta.

-Orm

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 871
RE: When? - 2/4/2009 3:34:53 AM   
Anendrue

I'm off to points unknown. But will be back shortly after release. I can't wait to see the game. Good luck Steve. I'll try to keep an eye on the forums while I am gone.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 872
RE: When? - 2/4/2009 10:07:03 AM   
YohanTM2

Great to see a firm date!

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 873
RE: When? - 2/4/2009 12:29:24 PM   
iamspamus

Either of these would work. Another could be an invasion/paradrop/attack on Gibraltar.

Another suggestion would be to run the tutorial twice with radically different dice rolls to show the possible outcomes of very good/very bad luck.

Can't wait.
Jason

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

Oh, and in my conversation with Erik, we decided to put together a short training video for the game. I am thinking along the lines of one impulse where Germany takes a land action and Italy & Japan take a naval and a combined (which does which isn’t clear to me yet).

I'd vote for the Japanese Combined to show invading a Pacific island and let Italy do the Naval.

I suggest you let Japan do the naval and let Italy do a combined special operation. Perhaps Italy can do a combined paradrop and invasion on malta.

-Orm

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 874
RE: When? - 2/4/2009 3:28:22 PM   
wfzimmerman

quote:

February 1, 2009 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

AI Opponent
I decided that one way to reduced my task list for creating the AIO is to limit the number of different scenarios that it can play when the game is first released. I’ll do 4 of the 11 scenarios for first release and then add the other 7 as patches in subsequent months. What this removes from my task list is figuring out alternative setups for thousands of units in the 7 scenarios that start late in the war. Each of those scenarios has hundreds, if not thousands, of units on the map at the start of the game. If the AIO always uses the same setup, it becomes too predictable and easy to defeat. But to do a respectable job of designing alternative setups for thousands of units will take time and effort.

The 4 scenarios that will be ready for first release are the ones that will be played the most: the two introductory scenarios (Barbarossa and Guadalcanal) and the Global War scenario (which is virtually the only scenario ever played in over the board games). The fourth scenario is Fascist Tide, which is the European half of the Global War scenario, so it can use the same setups.

In the interest of reducing project risk, let me suggest that we take a radical step and only release those four scenarios in v1 for any mode of play (net, solo, PBEM). that would enable the beta testers to focus all their energies on those scenarios and would considerably reduce the scope of bug-finding.

I don't think they will be drastically missed, and at this stage it might be a very wise move.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 875
RE: When? - 2/4/2009 6:22:35 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: wfzimmerman

quote:

February 1, 2009 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

AI Opponent
I decided that one way to reduced my task list for creating the AIO is to limit the number of different scenarios that it can play when the game is first released. I’ll do 4 of the 11 scenarios for first release and then add the other 7 as patches in subsequent months. What this removes from my task list is figuring out alternative setups for thousands of units in the 7 scenarios that start late in the war. Each of those scenarios has hundreds, if not thousands, of units on the map at the start of the game. If the AIO always uses the same setup, it becomes too predictable and easy to defeat. But to do a respectable job of designing alternative setups for thousands of units will take time and effort.

The 4 scenarios that will be ready for first release are the ones that will be played the most: the two introductory scenarios (Barbarossa and Guadalcanal) and the Global War scenario (which is virtually the only scenario ever played in over the board games). The fourth scenario is Fascist Tide, which is the European half of the Global War scenario, so it can use the same setups.

In the interest of reducing project risk, let me suggest that we take a radical step and only release those four scenarios in v1 for any mode of play (net, solo, PBEM). that would enable the beta testers to focus all their energies on those scenarios and would considerably reduce the scope of bug-finding.

I don't think they will be drastically missed, and at this stage it might be a very wise move.

No.

There are events that only happen late in the game, so testing with scenarios that start late in the game is essential. The quantity and quality of the units appearing late in the war are markedly different from the ones at the start.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to wfzimmerman)
Post #: 876
RE: When? - 2/4/2009 7:02:56 PM   
wfzimmerman

quote:

quote:

No.

There are events that only happen late in the game, so testing with scenarios that start late in the game is essential. The quantity and quality of the units appearing late in the war are markedly different from the ones at the start.

Ok -- but do you need ALL the late in the game scenarios? and ALL the early in game scenarios? can you cut to 6 or 7? If you cut to six, you almost double the maximum number of beta testers per scenario. Not trying to be a wet blanket, just getting the ideas on the table.

While we're on the subject, how are you planning to test complete games played end to end ... it is going to be tough to play through even a couple of games in the time available

< Message edited by wfzimmerman -- 2/4/2009 7:13:05 PM >

Post #: 877
RE: When? - 2/4/2009 7:25:15 PM   
wworld7

quote:

Ok -- but do you need ALL the late in the game scenarios? and ALL the early in game scenarios? can you cut to 6 or 7? Not trying to be a wet blanket, just trying to put a couple of ideas on the table.

I would think it would be better to test everything possible at the point when you have the largest beta force available. This is easier prior to release if the beta teams are well organized. And is especially important with games that have many turns. Is it possible to get enough turns tested to catch every bug, no. But, I am sure at least a small number of testers (perhaps more) would be assigned to test late game situations.

Getting the same solid effort out of beta's post-release is not impossible, it just often does not happen. Often Beta testers are worn out beating up a product prior to release (FYI: Beta's don't really play, they create situations and try to break a product so we don't run into trouble).

I am glad Steve answered no, as I would be wary of any scenarios "put off" to after release.

Flipper

(in reply to wfzimmerman)
Post #: 878
RE: When? - 2/5/2009 4:08:18 PM   
Petracelli69

Steve

As a long in the tooth wiffer i've never met any fellow wiffers that want to play a scenario other than Global War and think your idea is very sound.

regards

Phil

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 879
RE: When? - 2/6/2009 10:38:22 AM   
bredsjomagnus

Its great that Facist tide is included too. That is what i mostly play. Its easier to grasp and doesnt take that much space IRL.

(in reply to Petracelli69)
Post #: 880
RE: When? - 2/6/2009 10:56:24 AM   
iamspamus

Being in on the EIANW forum, I concur WHOLEHEARTEDLY. Get it as close to "perfect" as possible BEFORE RELEASE...and I know this is anathema here, but...even if that delays release...

Flame-suit on...Ready...Go.
Jason

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

quote:

Ok -- but do you need ALL the late in the game scenarios? and ALL the early in game scenarios? can you cut to 6 or 7? Not trying to be a wet blanket, just trying to put a couple of ideas on the table.

I would think it would be better to test everything possible at the point when you have the largest beta force available. This is easier prior to release if the beta teams are well organized. And is especially important with games that have many turns. Is it possible to get enough turns tested to catch every bug, no. But, I am sure at least a small number of testers (perhaps more) would be assigned to test late game situations.

Getting the same solid effort out of beta's post-release is not impossible, it just often does not happen. Often Beta testers are worn out beating up a product prior to release (FYI: Beta's don't really play, they create situations and try to break a product so we don't run into trouble).

I am glad Steve answered no, as I would be wary of any scenarios "put off" to after release.

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 881
RE: When? - 2/6/2009 2:31:28 PM   
composer99

The present firm release date could mean a 'MWiF table' at the Con.

Also, for the video tutorial, I might suggest an impulse early in a summer 1942 turn (maybe the first impulse of J/A), with Germany doing a land to fight in USSR, Japan doing a Naval to establish naval control across the Pacific, and Italy doing a combined to launch an attack on Malta as a delaying measure (either to delay the attack on Vichy North Africa, Libya, or even the Italian Coast). The Italians may or may not have help from German speciality units as part of this effort.

~ Composer99

(in reply to iamspamus)
Post #: 882
RE: When? - 2/6/2009 2:55:34 PM   
macgregor

These extra playtesters are like extra logs in the firebox, and show me that Steve is getting that train to the station as fast as he can. The good news? The train is on the rails and heading this way. After all, you have to have something to playtest.

< Message edited by macgregor -- 2/6/2009 10:41:43 PM >

(in reply to iamspamus)
Post #: 883
RE: When? - 2/7/2009 1:24:37 AM   
pzgndr

quote:

AI Opponent

FWIW, an AI-vs-AI development feature would allow complete games to be played faster and then reviewed for issues that need to be worked on. For adjusting LAIO variables and revising scripts, being able to iterate quickly through more and more games should get the computer opponent up to speed faster. The Strategic Command 2 series has this AI-vs-AI capability and it has been immensely helpful for AI development. Playtesting won't catch every nuance of variable setups and alternative strategies, but multiple games can reveal weaknesses to focus improvement efforts on. Just a thought.

(in reply to Il Duce)
Post #: 884
RE: When? - 2/10/2009 11:13:16 PM   
Edfactor

I want to start playing as much as anyone but i mostly want a good AI to play email games are slow and hotseat isnt much fun to me.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 885
RE: When? - 2/16/2009 10:38:31 AM   
Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edfactor

I want to start playing as much as anyone but i mostly want a good AI to play email games are slow and hotseat isnt much fun to me.

The AI will be a good assistant but strangely enough I have found the immensity of MWiF means that whenever I change sides in a solitaire game I find some weakness in what I had thought was a perfect defense. You may think you have a perfect defense in France but until you switch sides you don't know exactly how many tactical air factors the enemy can bring to bear... and when you have switched sides and counted the air units you then realize you have forgotten which stack had the enemy armor unit on the bottom (and was it a 6 or a 7 combat factor unit?).

My biggest fear is not a deadly AI but rather my own incompetence.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Edfactor)
Post #: 886
RE: When? - 2/16/2009 9:28:09 PM   
Sewerlobster

quote:

My biggest fear is not a deadly AI but rather my own incompetence.

Well, that pretty much sums up every game I've played. Repeatedly demonstrated. You can replace "AI" with "opponent" as necessary.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 887
RE: When? - 2/18/2009 1:13:13 PM   
madman_matt

Good work to all involved in the development!
Can't wait for this release.
I will be a buyer on day 1.

If you need beta testers I'm more that happy to help out, although I haven't played the board game for several years now.

(in reply to Sewerlobster)
Post #: 888
RE: When? - 2/22/2009 12:31:20 AM   
marklv

This is Chris Marinacci's first newsgroup posting on the computer version of WIF: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.games.board/browse_thread/thread/bd006f7dd78f3be7?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=%22world+in+flames%22+marinacci

10 February 1997!   And he hoped to have the game completed by Christmas! He forgot to mention he meant Christmas 2097!! LOL!!

By the time the game will be released (if it does get released) it will have been a 12 year project - incredible!

And here is a newsgroup post from 26 September 1995 (!) from someone saying he heard rumours that the computer game would be released later that year: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.games.pbm/browse_thread/thread/c7b640721d705b5d?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=%22world+in+flames%22

So it is no less than 14 years since there were plans afoot for the computer version of this game. 14 years!! This has got to be a world record.

< Message edited by marklv -- 2/22/2009 12:43:30 AM >

(in reply to madman_matt)
Post #: 889
RE: When? - 2/22/2009 2:34:43 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: marklv

This is Chris Marinacci's first newsgroup posting on the computer version of WIF: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.games.board/browse_thread/thread/bd006f7dd78f3be7?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=%22world+in+flames%22+marinacci

10 February 1997!   And he hoped to have the game completed by Christmas! He forgot to mention he meant Christmas 2097!! LOL!!

By the time the game will be released (if it does get released) it will have been a 12 year project - incredible!

And here is a newsgroup post from 26 September 1995 (!) from someone saying he heard rumours that the computer game would be released later that year: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.games.pbm/browse_thread/thread/c7b640721d705b5d?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=%22world+in+flames%22

So it is no less than 14 years since there were plans afoot for the computer version of this game. 14 years!! This has got to be a world record.

Nah! There were plans for a computer version of chess for hundreds of years. They just had to invent the computer first. They tried a dwarf in a box who pulled levers but it just wasn't the same thing.

p.s. I wrote this a while back...

WW2 raged for (depending on when you start and stop counting) 6 years and 1 day (1st Sep 1939 to 2nd Sep 1945).

Matrix announced that it was taking-over/developing the computer version of World in Flames on Oct 21 2003. So on Oct 22 2009, we could have actually fought WW2 in the time it has taken to develop MWiF

That's right folks. The Nazi subjugation of Europe by Blitzkrieg, the long Battle of the Atlantic, the Allied bomber offensives, Japan's spectacular advance, the vast struggle on the Eastern Front, D-Day and the Allied drive into the heart of the Third Reich, the island hopping campaign in the Pacific, the development of nuclear weapons and the titanic production effort of all sides: they fit into this time period.

Thus, if the tentative March release slips a bit (let's be honest here ) then maybe Oct 22 2009 would be an appropriate day for it

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to marklv)
Post #: 890
RE: When? - 3/2/2009 5:16:11 AM   
Xelvonar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

p.s. I wrote this a while back...

WW2 raged for (depending on when you start and stop counting) 6 years and 1 day (1st Sep 1939 to 2nd Sep 1945).

Matrix announced that it was taking-over/developing the computer version of World in Flames on Oct 21 2003. So on Oct 22 2009, we could have actually fought WW2 in the time it has taken to develop MWiF

That's right folks. The Nazi subjugation of Europe by Blitzkrieg, the long Battle of the Atlantic, the Allied bomber offensives, Japan's spectacular advance, the vast struggle on the Eastern Front, D-Day and the Allied drive into the heart of the Third Reich, the island hopping campaign in the Pacific, the development of nuclear weapons and the titanic production effort of all sides: they fit into this time period.

Thus, if the tentative March release slips a bit (let's be honest here ) then maybe Oct 22 2009 would be an appropriate day for it

Cheers, Neilster

Although, to be fair, there were a lot more people working on the actual WWII than MWiF.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 891
RE: When? - 3/2/2009 9:33:24 PM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: JonBrave

quote:

Taarget OS is Windows XP.

I hope for your own benefit that it will install & run on Vista??

would anyone happen to know if it would run on the beta version of windows 7?

(in reply to JonBrave)
Post #: 892
RE: When? - 3/2/2009 9:36:36 PM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: JonBrave

quote:

Taarget OS is Windows XP.

I hope for your own benefit that it will install & run on Vista??

would anyone happen to know if it would run on the beta version of windows 7?

If it will run on Vista it should have no trouble running on Windows 7.

Flipper

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 893
RE: When? - 3/2/2009 10:43:13 PM   
morkin

Where is our beloved monthly update?

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 894
RE: When? - 3/2/2009 10:47:26 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

March 1, 2009 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Accomplishments of February

Project Management
Firm release date for MWIF product 1 is July 27th, 2009.

Communications
Matrix assigned a new editor (Jim) for the Players Manual and I am working with him on organizing the preparation of its 250+ pages (@8.5" by 11").

Sean Drummy (Matrix Games) is up-to-date with posting screen shots of World in Flames on the Matrix website.

I monitored all the threads in the MWIF World in Flames forum daily and uploaded version 12.01, 12.02, 12.03, and 12.04 for the beta testers.

Greyshaft continues to send me text from Rules as Coded for the Players Manual, which I am merging with the dozens of screen shots I am receiving from Patrice of the forms.

Dean Stow (a forum member) sent me some of his comments on Section 7 of the Players Manual. They were great and I made almost all his suggested changes.

Peter Skoglund is working with me on scripting the setup of Spain and Turkey. We’re using a more sophisticated system to analyze threats from air, sea, and land.

Patrice asked Harry Rowland a simple rules question about Frogmen and Harry answered it immediately.

Patrice has found 700+ radio clips from WW II (MP3 format). I don’t know about copyright issues (and MP3 format) with using these radio clips though.

Vlad has joined with Andy, Terje, and Robert working on the naval unit writeups.

Erik is looking into pricing a printed copy of the map.

No communications with Robert Nebel or Chris Marinacci.

Hardware and Software Development Tools
I have not installed ThemeEngine July/2007 - this status is unchanged.

Beta Testing
I uploaded versions 12.01 through 12.04 for the beta testers. Version 12.03 was a disaster with all new games crashing immediately and restored games crashing rather quickly too. I had accidentally overwritten “(S = nil)” while making some edits [so much for making code changes between 1 AM and 2 AM]. Luckily it only took me a couple of hours to figure that out and upload 12.04. But it does make you think: remove 9 characters from the source listings and nothing works! Then ponder the fact that there are close to 300,000 lines of text in the source listings for MWIF.

Patrice pitched in and uploaded a data file patch as version 12.02a. I was off delivering singing valentines and couldn’t find 2 consecutive hours to make those edits. The patch 12.02a solved about 1/4 of the reported problems for version 12.02.

11 of the 12 new beta testers are slaving away; and inundating me with bug reports. There is a lot of redundancy in the bug reports I receive, which I really like, even though it requires me to do some extra bookkeeping. When I see 3 or 4 reports on the same bug, then I am more confident that some obscure ones are likely to be caught.

I have version 12.05 ready to upload and will do so after I finish writing this monthly report. The main reason this monthly report is a day late is that I was deep in the code fixing bugs with anti-aircraft attacks and didn’t want to break away and risk losing the thread of that logic.

There is a possibility that I will add another 3 or 4 beta testers this month. But I am just not sure about that at the moment. Right now there are almost 40 beta testers who have reported to me (this past month) that they are testing the program.

Units, Map, and Scenarios
Patrice had a few more map name corrections that I made and the beta testers saw in version 12.04. I haven’t made the final pass on the coast map bitmaps yet. But I’ll probably do it sometime this month.

The naval unit data needed a new data field added to accommodate a weirdness in 4 of the 1300 naval units. Making that change for version 12.02 resulted in the diacritical marks (e.g., acute, grave, umlaut) in the foreign ship names to be lost - hence the need for the 12.02a patch.

I have given the authors working on the unit writeups until the end of April to finish them. If you have an interest in this, they are always looking for a few more helping hands. The air units writeups are done and the land and naval writeups and in the 50% to 60% range of being complete .

Optional Rules
I spent a few hours on optional rules, but not any serious time. In the course of doing other things, I sometimes come across code concerning optional rules that I haven’t read through and commented. Since one of the things on my task list is to finish checking the code for all the optional rules, I typically will do so when the code for one of them is staring me in the face.

Player Interface
I created a new form for players to select units from the queue of aborted naval units (part of version 12.00). This needs substantial testing. I activated the Selectable Units form for a couple of the subphases of naval combat which makes it easier to identify which units are capable of moving in those subphases.

I made substantial changes to the Land Combat Charts form so it can be used prior to, during, and after resolving land combat. This lets the player decide on the order for resolving land combats and to make decisions about the use of snow units and choice of Assault versus Blitz. While I was doing that, I revised the Land Combat Resolution form, yet again. My objective this time was to present all the details of the different shifts and die modifications so the final outcome doesn’t appear to be generated by a black box.

Internet - NetPlay
I didn’t spend any time on NetPlayComTest in February - the new beta testers swamped me with work. I need to spend a few more hours on the test program and then I’ll incorporate those routines in MWIF proper. I did correct some ancillary problems related to assigning major power groups to players, which was essential for testing the bidding system (used to decide who plays which major power groups).

CWIF Conversion
Overstacking and Collapse Vichy ‘phases’ still need to be converted into Digressions.

MWIF Game Engine
I generated a few more Game Record Log entries to support NetPlay. As always, these are conversions from CWIF’s methodology of using internal Windows calls and replacing them with Indy10 calls. I did find a typo in the new Game Record Log code which caused problems (UnitNumber1 should have been UnitNumber2). Changing a 1 to a 2 fixed what looked like a massive problem from the beta testers’ point of view.

Saved Games
This code is stable.

Player’s Manual
Greyshaft has started helping me on the Player’s Manual by taking text from Rules as Coded and placing it into the section on Forms. For each form I want to have: (1) the pertinent text from RAC for the rules related to the form, (2) a screen shot of the form, and (3) a paragraph or two on how to use the form.

Patrice has sent me over 100 screen shots, in TIF, 300 DPI, which is the format needed for the Players Manual (as specified by Marc at Matrix Games). I haven’t been using them all but my estimate of screen shots in the Players Manual has doubled from 50 to over 100. That increase is mainly because I am cutting pieces out of full page screen shots and inserting them immediately alongside text that comments on them. This saves having to go back to a larger full page figure and hunt around for what the text is referencing. Hey, maybe by the time I finish writing the Players Manual I will have gotten the hang of how to do it.

Actually I probably spent too much time on the Players Manual this month. I finished Section 2 (Introduction), 90% of Section 4 (Starting as New Game), and roughly half of Section 8 (Player Interface). The first two are less than 10 pages each but Section 8 will run to about 140 pages, all by its little lonesome.

PBEM
Nothing was scheduled.

Historical Video, Music, and Sound
Nothing new. For historical video and sound, I want to finalize the former this month, and the latter next month: what happens, when, and for how long. Patrice found 700+ radio clips from WW II (MP3 format). I don’t know about copyright issues (and MP3 format) with using these radio clips though.

Help System and Tutorials
One of the new beta testers read through all the Picture and Text tutorials (115 pages) and provided several dozen excellent suggestions for improvements. I made changes for all but 1 of those suggestions and will do the last one when I get the time.

Once I get Section 8 of the Player’s Manual completed, I will copy the text therein describing each Form and transfer it into the context sensitive help file. I already have help buttons installed on all Forms and when a player clicks on one of them, the program fetches the corresponding segment of text from “Help Content.txt” (those pages are blank at the moment). However, there are finished descriptions of all the phases and subphases of the game. With the addition of the content for the Forms, the help system will be finished.

Erik and Dave at Matrix have persuaded me that there should be a Training Video for MWIF. I thought of having just one sequence, playing through an Axis impulse where the 3 different major powers take a Land, Naval, and Combined actions. But while I was writing up how to use the Setup Tray, I decided that there should be a second clip covering that; it can be quite complex compared to other computer war games.

AI Opponent
Peter continues to work on the scripts for setting up minor countries. I haven’t had time to do anything on the parser, but that is next in the queue after I get NetPlay into testing.

Peter and I have been developing a more powerful and general purpose system for setting up the units for Spain and Turkey. This will be the system the AIO will use for setting up the major powers. My hope remains that the design will be robust enough that the AIO will be able to set up the 7 scenarios that start late in the war without me (or anyone else) having to take time to figure out which units set up in which hexes.

Other
I spent two full days delivering singing valentines (4 part a capella harmony). We did 8 on Friday and 9 on Saturday. Fewer women cried this year, so either we performed better (fewer sour notes causing pain) or worse (fewer perfectly blended chords evoking rapture). This was the swan song for our baritone who is moving to Maui next week. The wife and I managed to refinance our condo at 4.5% before the rates popped back up.
====================================================================
February summary: The beta testers were in fine form and kept me hopping. I now have the Players Manual to the point that it is “within striking distance” of completion - if I decide to push hard on it. NetPlay where art thou?
====================================================================

Tasks for March

Communications
Continue monitoring the forum threads.

Map and Units
Finalize coastal bitmap graphics. [est. 1 hour]

Beta Testing
Upload a new version every 5 days. [est. 2 hours]
Work on the backlog of bug reports. [est. 130 hours]

Optional Rules
Review, comment, modify, and create code for optional rules [est. 5 hours]

Redesign of MWIF Game Engine
Fix bugs reported on the newly added code. [est 20 hours]
Add more Game Record Log entries for NetPlay. [est. 30 hours]

Player Interface
Finish the code for determining and displaying supply lines. [est. 10 hours]

NetPlay
Implement the bidding capability using NetPlay. [est. 5 hours]
Incorporate the Indy10 code for the two player system into MWIF. [est. 20 hours]
Incorporate the multi-player (more than 2) system into MWIF. [est. 50 hours in January]

AI Opponent
Define LAIO variables with their supporting functions. Finish coding the parser for LAIO. [est. 30 hours]

Help System and Tutorials
Nothing scheduled until May.

Player’s Manual
Integrate text from others into the Player’s Manual. [est 10 hours].

Historical Detail, Animations, and Sound
Decide on Historical videos. [est. 5 hours]

Other
Nothing but programming in March, it appears.
================================================================
March summary: Get NetPlay functioning. Make another cut into the backlog of bug reports.
================================================================

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 895
RE: When? - 3/3/2009 11:43:52 AM   
Davidt

HI Steve,

Again a good update. Thx.

"Sean Drummy (Matrix Games) is up-to-date with posting screen shots of World in Flames on the Matrix website."
You should ask Sean to have a look at the Fly out names of the screenshots. They seem to be a bit amiss.

looking with anticipation to the end og July.
Regards
David

Post #: 896
RE: When? - 3/3/2009 6:05:04 PM   
Anendrue

Steve, I was lucky enough to get to a computer today and see the latest update. Looks like you are still doing 16 hour days. I just wanted to say we appreciate all the hard work you are doing. I think I have conviced a few of my fellow Sgt's to check out MWiF. I can't wait to get back home in August and get it. I just wish I was going to be there on release day.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to Davidt)
Post #: 897
RE: When? - 3/3/2009 9:51:45 PM   
gridley

Wow!!!

It has been a long time since I have checked in.  Everything seems to all coming together nicely. 

I am really looking forward to this.

Thank you for all your hard work.

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 898
RE: When? - 3/3/2009 10:55:09 PM   
New York Jets

I have been browsing this thread and I get the idea the game is near but, I can't find the latest post that gives an idea of when this will be released.

Is there anything resembling a firm release date yet?

Or, even a loose idea?

Thanks.

"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of 'em."

- Casey Stengel -

(in reply to gridley)
Post #: 899
RE: When? - 3/3/2009 10:59:34 PM   
HansHafen

Hehehe, look up 5 posts.

(in reply to New York Jets)
Post #: 900
Page:   <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: When? Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI