Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/19/2009 3:55:27 PM   
JudgeDredd

I play WoW. Never thought I would, but my friend eventually persuaded me to pick it up on a ten day free trial. Ended up subscribing to it and playing it a fair bit, but truth is, I have so many other games I'm finding it hard to justify the subscription. £10 a month is fine if I play it enough, but more and more I'm finding myself with games that demand more attention from me (BoAII, CoG:EE, Ka-50 Black Shark...the list goes on)...and these are games that I really want to learn and get into.

The lure of WoW is the fire up and play nonsense which fits so well into my life. I seldom get enough time to sit down and learn how to fire up the Ka-50 from a colde start, or learn about all the upgrade options for my troops in CoG:EE...so WoW tends to win the day...but I have found myself, of late, spending more time getting into my sim games.

Maybe I should just get rid of the "load and play" games so I'm not tempted.

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 3/19/2009 6:54:23 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 151
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/19/2009 4:34:56 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: String
*shrug* Well must have been you then. Never had such experiences.

Not at all, look at the Eve forums (or the Eve University ones, I think they are public).

Do a find for 'advanced station piloting', you'll find plenty of references to it.

(in reply to String)
Post #: 152
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/19/2009 4:38:23 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

The most solo-friendly and casual play-friendly MMO I've found is City of Heroes. I rarely have time to play, but whenever I do even if it's just for 15-30 minutes, I can get something done and be entertained instead of spending the time looking for a group or traveling to a mission destination.

I've tried and enjoyed many MMOs for 1-2 weeks, but most would only work for me if I actually made them my hobby (which is never going to happen) and invested significant time. COH works even with minimal time investment, so I keep a subscription to that active and have it on my laptop for when I need to unwind a bit without much thought.

Regards,

- Erik

I agree with this pretty much.

I could play Eve with minimal time, as I enjoyed trading and contracting and stuff - you can do that by investing 20 minutes a day. But that gets dull after a while, or did for me, and anything else takes ages. Also it isn't very incremental, you need a big block of time to sit down and play.

In WoW you don't really, a single quest might take ten minutes, and you can quit right there, and there is less onus on you to make contacts.

That said I'm not all that interested in WoW either, but at least its playable. I'll never, ever get to level 80 though. It isn't even the time commitment, I just get bored of playing the class long before then. Eventually I'll run out of classes to play till boredom and that'll be WoW done for me.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 153
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/19/2009 4:50:43 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

quote:

Not at all, look at the Eve forums (or the Eve University ones, I think they are public).

Do a find for 'advanced station piloting', you'll find plenty of references to it.

Here you go, String, this is how laid back and freedom promoting Eve works with the newbie friendly Eve University.

quote:

Please read the wartime rules carefully. They are somewhere above this post. They are there for your own good.

If you do not follow them expect reprimands, losing your ship, podding or even being booted from the E-Uni (Most likely after several warnings and discussions with ILN Admiral Silentbrick. I cannot recommend following the rules in wartime enough.

Here are some recent results related to me:

My fleet found a Unista HAULING......DURING WARTIME........IN LO-SEC - Forcefully removed from ship, using missiles.

My fleet spotted a Unista in a Pod, passing through Obanen, today. After he refused convos from several senior members of the E-Uni (Since no Directors were online) and after the fleet had returned, I was in an Inty with scouts hunting for him. Sadly I did not have enough time to get him. - I am glad to say that after continuing to act unpleasantly in corp chat, he removed himself from the E-Uni.

The wartime rules are there for a reason. The Eve-Uni does not want to offer WT's free lunches.

This message is not an instruction, just a recommendation.

"Do what we say or we will shoot you ourselves". Great! No, that isn't the Elite/Freelancer tradition of space trading games.

I like wargames but if I wanted to join the army I'd do in real life.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 154
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/19/2009 5:43:33 PM   
ilovestrategy

I'm playing Lord of the Rings Online. I love it!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 155
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/19/2009 7:01:26 PM   
Zakhal

Im propably going to start playing Darkfall soon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNJs79Ik6eY&fmt=22 (siege)

Its lighthearted clan based pvp. No need to grind 80 levels and 100 raids to gain enough eq to fight. Eq is as easily replaceable as in original UO. Also this game has ships, ship combat, city building sieges, collision detection, fps style combat, etc. And the standard pve stuff like quests, crafting and sofort. 

There are over 200 ppl in som fights and theres no lag at all as far as Ive heard. The launch was bad and all features and finished but sofar the game looks fun and thats the most important thing.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 3/19/2009 7:02:24 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 156
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/19/2009 7:29:27 PM   
Scott_WAR

I cant believe you would have a post about wargamers in MMO's,....and not even bring up World War 2 Online:Battleground Europe.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 157
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/19/2009 7:35:23 PM   
Scott_WAR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

Im propably going to start playing Darkfall soon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNJs79Ik6eY&fmt=22 (siege)

Its lighthearted clan based pvp. No need to grind 80 levels and 100 raids to gain enough eq to fight. Eq is as easily replaceable as in original UO. Also this game has ships, ship combat, city building sieges, collision detection, fps style combat, etc. And the standard pve stuff like quests, crafting and sofort. 

There are over 200 ppl in som fights and theres no lag at all as far as Ive heard. The launch was bad and all features and finished but sofar the game looks fun and thats the most important thing.

A guild I am in is trying a chapter in this game. So far its a disaster. First, one server in europe,....thats it. And obviously an inferior server. So far they have limited sales. Basically for a period of 2 hours each day you can buy the game. Good luck with the website getting hammered. Most time out repeatedly never getting to actually order the game. IF you are one of the lucky few to get the game, there are ques constantly, that get up to OVER 2 HOURS at primetime. The game has been getting laggier and laggier as they add more people. At this point people are saying they cant even creat a character (also you get 1 character slot,....no alts in this game) without lagging out.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 158
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/19/2009 7:54:42 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR
I cant believe you would have a post about wargamers in MMO's,....and not even bring up World War 2 Online:Battleground Europe.

It's been mentioned earlier in the thread, but definitely worth bringing it up again.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 159
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/19/2009 8:21:38 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

A guild I am in is trying a chapter in this game. So far its a disaster. First, one server in europe,....thats it. And obviously an inferior server.

They improved the server. People in boards made thank you thread even about the lessened queus and lag too. Ive seen many players claim it especially today:

quote:

Queue's been much more bearable yesterday and today. It took less than 30min when there was a queue and most of the time it was instant.

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=164950

quote:

So far they have limited sales. Basically for a period of 2 hours each day you can buy the game.

Last I check nobody was buying the game for now. Its a paid beta and there is no more room. Next week maybe.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 3/19/2009 8:24:14 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 160
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/19/2009 11:35:22 PM   
Scott_WAR

Ala Cartman's amusement park from South Park. Nobody is allowed in, so naturally everyone wants in that much more.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 161
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/19/2009 11:54:01 PM   
String

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here you go, String, this is how laid back and freedom promoting Eve works with the newbie friendly Eve University.

quote:

Please read the wartime rules carefully. They are somewhere above this post. They are there for your own good.

If you do not follow them expect reprimands, losing your ship, podding or even being booted from the E-Uni (Most likely after several warnings and discussions with ILN Admiral Silentbrick. I cannot recommend following the rules in wartime enough.

Here are some recent results related to me:

My fleet found a Unista HAULING......DURING WARTIME........IN LO-SEC - Forcefully removed from ship, using missiles.

My fleet spotted a Unista in a Pod, passing through Obanen, today. After he refused convos from several senior members of the E-Uni (Since no Directors were online) and after the fleet had returned, I was in an Inty with scouts hunting for him. Sadly I did not have enough time to get him. - I am glad to say that after continuing to act unpleasantly in corp chat, he removed himself from the E-Uni.

The wartime rules are there for a reason. The Eve-Uni does not want to offer WT's free lunches.

This message is not an instruction, just a recommendation.

"Do what we say or we will shoot you ourselves". Great! No, that isn't the Elite/Freelancer tradition of space trading games.

I like wargames but if I wanted to join the army I'd do in real life.

Dear lord, then join another corp ffs. Noone forces you to be in that corporation, don't like it? Quit and find another. Don't want to station spin. Undock, clone jump away, etc.

I guess that's why they say that EvE isn't for everyone, it doesn't force feed you stuff like some other MMO's, you have to take the initiative in your own hands and do the stuff yourself.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 162
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/20/2009 12:15:35 AM   
Zakhal

quote:

Ala Cartman's amusement park from South Park. Nobody is allowed in, so naturally everyone wants in that much more.

DF is a special park since most mmos are mostly pve oriented. Very few like shadowbane, ww2ol, original uo and perhaps eve ever had hardcore pvp. Now after many years we have one more aka darkfall.

I have followed df since 2002 so it has been quite many years of "waiting". Luckily theres more in the horizon aka mortal online so things are going to look better in future for pvpers.

Darkfall has also many other things that I like in mmos but are never there like skill based system, fps style combat, looting, ffa, ships, player cities, sieges, friendly fire, cheap replaceable equipment, no teleportation but instead plenty of fast mounts and any many other smaller things. Darkfall devs know how to tingle my credit card.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 3/20/2009 11:18:03 AM >

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 163
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/20/2009 1:31:56 AM   
Scott_WAR

Oh Darkfall definately interests me. Since I have about 5 MMO boxes sitting on my shelf, but not on my hard drive, I have decided to give any MMO at least 6 months before I decide to try it or not. That way people have plenty of time to find the flaws, and I can see if they are fatal to them game or not.

A story form my guilds forums from a Darkfall player------- He was killed by a group of two players. He went back to try and fight them without them surprising him, and got killed again. He returned once more with the intent to surprise them. He cam upon them fighting someone else. One of the enemy players got off of his mount to fight someone. When he got a little distance away from the mount, my guildmate sprinted to it, jumped on it and rode off the proud new owner of a mount.

Things like this spark my interest.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 164
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/20/2009 9:17:40 AM   
Perturabo

That Darkfall sounds interesting. Does anyone know what are its system requirements? I can't find them on its page.

Does anyone know an MMORPG where one doesn't have to grind and farm and can't become a level 300 super warrior with 5000 HP that would work on a 5 years old computer?
I mean something where decent characters are easy to make and expandable?

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 165
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/20/2009 10:05:59 AM   
Zakhal

quote:

Oh Darkfall definately interests me. Since I have about 5 MMO boxes sitting on my shelf, but not on my hard drive, I have decided to give any MMO at least 6 months before I decide to try it or not. That way people have plenty of time to find the flaws, and I can see if they are fatal to them game or not.

On my shelf is age of conan, tabula rasa, hellgate, lotro, lotro morian, 4 boxes of guild wars and ww2ol. I also had two boxes of uo but i threw them both away. I definetly vowed myself to wait until few months after before buying new mmos and it has worked beuautifully i.e with warhammer - my friends were all exited asking me to join but after month they all quit it.

But with df I have become almost hyped which is very rare nowadays (only other game witp:ae). There are so many small details I like about it like the fact that there are no overhead floating nametags so you can actually hide in the game! Behind a rock or a tree.

Or the fact that you cant directly see how good another character is since there are no levels that you can see! You can only size up opponent based on your knowledge of the person (his name) and the gear he is wearing and the way he is acting.

Its not perfect i.e I would like animations for fishing and cooking among many other things like overhead/area chat (I dont like chat channels in mmo), but since the core game is good Im sure things like animations can be improved later.

One summary of the game:

quote:

The game is fun, nobody in the game has done everything. The content is far from maxed out. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean the game is awful.

There are problems, and I've been the first to point some of them out, but the core of the game is good.

The game will be around until there's something comparable offered. Mortal is months away at a minimum.

People still want:

1. PvP
2. Sandbox
3. boats
4. non-instanced
5. city building
6. 3-D
7. large world
8. some 1st person elements in combat

There's some games out that offer a little, but many people would rather support this game through the trials because in the end what the developers want to create is the same thing we want to play.

Im not sure how solo friendly the game is - it most likely is not i.e most of the mobs in the game are not soloable even. Pve friendly its not! So it might not suit everyones taste. But its a niche geared for me and thats better than any mainstream vanilla mmo that tries to please everyone and noone.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 3/20/2009 10:55:51 AM >

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 166
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/20/2009 10:53:21 AM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

That Darkfall sounds interesting. Does anyone know what are its system requirements? I can't find them on its page.

Does anyone know an MMORPG where one doesn't have to grind and farm and can't become a level 300 super warrior with 5000 HP that would work on a 5 years old computer?
I mean something where decent characters are easy to make and expandable?

Equipment is cheap and replaceable and you can fight naked even. You can buy mounts too almost instantly, they are not level xx trophy items but somthing available for everyone like in original UO.

As for skills you you need to train them (i.e sparr with friends or kill mobs/do quests/dungeons) and you can do it simply by grinding or playing the game. However som say that one of DF's features for new players is they have a chance kill an enemy that's been in game longer than them. So you dont have to grind GM skills just to have a chance in pvp.

As for sys req I dont know. I wouldnt say sure for 5 yo pc.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 3/20/2009 10:55:02 AM >

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 167
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/20/2009 4:45:02 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

I guess that's why they say that EvE isn't for everyone, it doesn't force feed you stuff like some other MMO's, you have to take the initiative in your own hands and do the stuff yourself.

This is why I don't like playing with other Eve players - because they are all elitist prigs.

I play MUSHes all the time, on a MUSH it is all about initiative. Nobody will entertain you, you have to do it yourself.

When I was playing Eve I solo'd for a good three months making money before I got bored. Making money in Eve is essentially juggling a spreadsheet after all.

So less of "Well, its your fault because you aren't good enough". Maybe (shock) it isn't anything to do with me being a 'carebear'.

I don't see how not liking the inability to solo is anything about being 'spoon fed'. If I could use the exploration system on my own I would. Now thats independence, no spoon feeding there.

Unfortunately that needs groups too.

Maybe it isn't about me needing to be 'spoon fed' my entertainment. (If you thought before parrotting that bit of Eve forum 'wisdom' maybe you'd realise how ridiculous that is, given we're on a forum for grognardy war games. Does WITP 'spoon feed' me adequately in a way Eve doesn't, do you think?). Maybe I just think the game is boring and crap and have good reasons for thinking so? I appreciate that telling that to a MMO devotee is akin to telling the Pope he's mistaken and there is no god, but there it is.

I only copy/pasted that stuff to show that you were mistaken about Eve University.

< Message edited by EUBanana -- 3/20/2009 4:54:18 PM >

(in reply to String)
Post #: 168
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/20/2009 5:39:27 PM   
Tactics

Stay away from Dark Fall. It's a sandbox MMO, but they forgot the sand. Here is the gameplay, in a nutshell.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 169
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/20/2009 6:03:52 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tactics

Stay away from Dark Fall. It's a sandbox MMO, but they forgot the sand. Here is the gameplay, in a nutshell.

The fact that the game has collision detection makes it possible. Also:
quote:

This doesn't quite sums up the PVE tactic in DF, it just shows how to zerg vs 1 only mob.
If you are a group of lets say 3, it will be more interesting. especially if you are fighting more than just 1 mob.

quote:

UUUmmm if you zergged any game's mobbed and blocked them in and bashed their head in it would work like that. Not sure why everyone rags on df pve. I enjoy it far more then AoC pve, and even WoW and War PvE. Hell fighting goblins in more fun and challenging then most of the PQ in war.

Not that pve could not use improvement but this a PvP game and it has barely launched yet. There are better mmos for pve if thats what you like.

Those wanting to know more check these old walkthrough videos with pve:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTk5211H-Hc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgN3VJ3s4bA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88s-MR3Qjns&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5IZVwea5PU

Here is a fishing and cooking video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAoW1OLOIL0&feature=related

PvP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn-bloV4QR4&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=737Irr0Fung

Here is the geopolitical situation in DF including world map:
quote:

The map is begging to flesh out and during the server outage last night I took the time to really look at who's where and marry it up with the tidbits of alliance styled information I've seen on these forums.

http://www.afraidyet.net/forums/misc...e=Darkfall_Map
(turn off all the spawns leaving only cities and hamlets enabled)

The North West island (i.e. Deceit) has two guilds with strong showing in Darfkall, Harm and LoD. I am not sure if they are allied or at war but given the guilds in question I wont be suprised to see tension there in the future (ego kills alliances faster then anything). Based on the recruiting I see in General, it sure looks like Harm is bulking up for long term viability in the game. Finally it's worth noting that CoS is a monster sized guild in Darkfall and their close proximity to Deceit makes them a likely ally to one of the guilds located there.

The North East island (i.e. Hawaii) has the, quite large, Order of the Phoenix with there 150+ members from week one. No intel on alliance or war going on Hawaii but the recent forum drama about the nut-cuppage here says not everything is roses. Consolidations are likely coming.

The South East island (i.e. Australia) has a pretty unusual alignment with a long term competitive european guild (SuN) in close proximity to Bood of AC Darktide fame sharing the same island as LoTD's chapter here in Darkfall (CoCK?). SuN and Blood have an absolutely cordial alliance, wonder what that means for LoTD? None of these guilds would be easy targets in my eyes.

The South West island (i.e. BFE) has a mish mosh of smaller guilds with lower epeen values but with the Vindicators on the nearby penisula I wouldnt be suprised to see them expand into this territory in the future. I'm certain any guild that conquers BFE will have to work out some deal with Vindi as their the closest 800lb gorilla.

Finally, the main continent has a number of interesting challenges shaping up
1) On the east coast you have The Wessex guys who have seen a number of road blocks to their early expansionist dreams but with Goons so close its not likely they will be able to push to the south-middle of the map. Weaker targets definitly appear to be placed on the rim of the main island and I'd look for their expansions in those directions.

2) The west coast definitly appears to be the crafter zone with a number of large number of 'nice' guilds populating the area. These guys might not be expansionists but I bet you their materials and funding will be the backing of some expansionists ambitions.

3) Finally the middle of the map is shaping up to be a cluster ****. In about 5 minutes riding distance you have
- Murder Herd (large pop)
- Goons (large or soon to be large pop)
- Sov
- Homeless (this name might be true sooner then they think!)
- Finally you have the Merc's hanging out int he center of the map building up their membership, capabilities, and apparantly working an alliance with SoV which makes sense since so many of their key members are old DT'rs.

One thing is for sure this game, like EVE, is going to build up into some MASSIVE wars and I really hope the server supports it.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 3/20/2009 7:58:24 PM >

(in reply to Tactics)
Post #: 170
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/20/2009 11:53:36 PM   
String

quote:

I don't see how not liking the inability to solo is anything about being 'spoon fed'. If I could use the exploration system on my own I would. Now thats independence, no spoon feeding there.

Unfortunately that needs groups too.

What prevents you from scanning and exploring on your own? We are only elitist pigs to people who whine about stuff that we know is actually working quite fine. Such as saying that it's impossible to solo anything in EvE. It's a bit stupid to go all solo in an MMORPG and defeats the purpose, imo (but that doesn't matter does it), but if you wish to do it you can.

With enough effor the only thing you can't do solo is alliance level politics and pvp. Solo pvp is quite possible, although targets can be hard to find at times. Then again, if you know where to look, you find no lack of solo targets.

Why I am annoyed is that I know from personal experience that soloing is quite possible in EvE. It's boring, but quite possible. So you see, although annoying, elitist, and rude, the "eve forum wisdom" has a grain of truth in it.

< Message edited by String -- 3/21/2009 12:01:06 AM >

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 171
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/21/2009 7:47:41 AM   
Lützow

I have to agree with String here. Eve got quite some solo content, albeit it's not very exciting on the long run. Take a mission, fit your BC or BS accordingly, kill stuff, come back with a salvage ship, loot, sell - rinse and repeat. Off course, one could explore as well or hunt down other players, but this gives less profit. However, joining a guild may alleviate financial risks, especially when you're considering 0.0 space, but doesn't change your gaming experience though. After all Eve is an economic simulation for crafting and pvp, rather than your typical MMO. Very well made, with georgous graphics but not really adapted for achievemenet style players or socializers.

< Message edited by Lützow -- 3/21/2009 7:48:23 AM >

(in reply to String)
Post #: 172
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/21/2009 10:02:32 AM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow
Very well made, with georgous graphics but not really adapted for achievemenet style players or socializers.

I'd say that high level alliance play is exactly for that.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 173
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/21/2009 10:24:03 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Thanks for the heads up on that. Finally got around to trying EVE in the last couple of weeks and have just signed on. The game farts on all the elves and pixies stuff from a great height; 'Elite' (with 'thinking' rather than 'twitch' combat, which is cool as I suck at twitching) in a universe with 250,000 or so real people, and a thinking person's game to boot (if you want it to be). I'll be playing for a long while I think

Well... four months or so as it turned out, although that is longer than I've ever played any other MMO. It just turned out to be an excellent game that demanded more time than I have, and that most people have, I suspect. There is solo content that you can dip into (within reason - no 10 minute missions here), but it's pretty pointless playing EVE solo when much more fun can be had with X3:TC or Evochron Legends, both of which can he bought for the cost of one month's EVE subscription. I can understand why those who get into EVE really get into it, though.. I never could with EQ or WoW.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 174
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/21/2009 10:35:13 AM   
Lützow

quote:

quote:

Very well made, with georgous graphics but not really adapted for achievemenet style players or socializers.

The only achievement in EvE lays in the skill system and for gaining SP you merely have to maintain an active account. You can't influence this process by your playtime and from a certain level of wealth, money hunting becomes pointless, unless you plan to blow up your own stuff by participating in pvp. That is the weak point about EvE's system, even some people may embrace it.

Regarding EQ I was part of a highend raiding guild for many years. We were competing with likeminded organizations over progression and every item we looted from raids, contributed to our own character development and overall strength of the guild. Unlike EvE you got rewarded for dedication, efforts and time you put into the game. That is achievement style from my point of view. In addition you could meet other toons face-to-face, something CCP planned for the future but yet is impossible in EvE.

I'm not saying EvE would be a bad game, actually I enjoyed it for about six months or so, but after this time it became stale. Resubscribed with every new expansion but never could get in anymore.

(in reply to String)
Post #: 175
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/22/2009 11:38:52 AM   
String

quote:

quote:

quote:

The only achievement in EvE lays in the skill system and for gaining SP you merely have to maintain an active account. You can't influence this process by your playtime and from a certain level of wealth, money hunting becomes pointless, unless you plan to blow up your own stuff by participating in pvp. That is the weak point about EvE's system, even some people may embrace it.

Regarding EQ I was part of a highend raiding guild for many years. We were competing with likeminded organizations over progression and every item we looted from raids, contributed to our own character development and overall strength of the guild. Unlike EvE you got rewarded for dedication, efforts and time you put into the game. That is achievement style from my point of view. In addition you could meet other toons face-to-face, something CCP planned for the future but yet is impossible in EvE.

I'm not saying EvE would be a bad game, actually I enjoyed it for about six months or so, but after this time it became stale. Resubscribed with every new expansion but never could get in anymore.

Ah Okay I see where you are coming from. Yes, skillpoints can only be affected so far.

But.

Skillpoints aren't everything. There's skillpoints and then there's skill. No amount of skillpoints will help you if you don't know what to do with them, eBay'ed characters prove that every day in EvE.

My point was that EvE rewards not only in skillpoints and isk, but also in goals you set yourselves. Such as becoming a highlevel alliance executive and controlling a 0.0 region or two, becoming the highest SP character ( one player passed 100m sp not long time ago), being the first plyaer to visit all EvE system (was done a only few months ago, but 2500 new systems got added after that), becoming famous for some other reason (Chribba and his Veldnaught or Innominate Nightmare and his noob adventures in 0.0), being the best at something (such as scamming and the Guiding Hand Social Club corporation) etc.

That's the beauty of the game, you can make your own goals and if you're creative enough you can do stuff that noone else has done before.

PS.

Reason #24 why EvE is not for everybody

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 176
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/29/2009 1:40:24 AM   
NefariousKoel

I'm back playing LOTRO and enjoying myself.

I'll probably give Star Trek Online a go when it comes out, if it's primarily focused on ship combat as it seems to be. 

I long ago stopped watching TV and turned the Satellite off. MMO'ing has taken it's place, and good riddance.

< Message edited by NefariousKoel -- 3/29/2009 1:42:38 AM >

(in reply to String)
Post #: 177
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/29/2009 10:29:44 AM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

Equipment is cheap and replaceable and you can fight naked even. You can buy mounts too almost instantly, they are not level xx trophy items but somthing available for everyone like in original UO.

As for skills you you need to train them (i.e sparr with friends or kill mobs/do quests/dungeons) and you can do it simply by grinding or playing the game. However som say that one of DF's features for new players is they have a chance kill an enemy that's been in game longer than them. So you dont have to grind GM skills just to have a chance in pvp.

As for sys req I dont know. I wouldnt say sure for 5 yo pc.

Sounds interesting, but somehow I didn't find the videos appealing - maybe because I don't like 3D RPGs.

Is there any way to play orginal OU that you mentioned? Was it similar to DF?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tactics

I don't see anything in this video due to low quality. What is it supposed show?

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 178
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/29/2009 3:27:33 PM   
vonRocko

Please excuse my naivete, buy what is a "sandbox" game?

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 179
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 3/29/2009 8:18:06 PM   
TheBlackhorse

Dead Frontier is THE best MMO out there, imo....

Zombies and Role Playing..it doesn't get much better than that!

http://www.deadfrontier.com/

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI