Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

About the UV manual...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> About the UV manual... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
About the UV manual... - 5/21/2002 3:39:08 AM   
Oggidoggi

YEA!!! I recieved my copy of UV today! Now I only have one problem...
How do you have the manual printed out at a printing shop if the UV manual is inexcessible except when UV is installed onto your computer? Am I going to have to burn the manual to a writeable CD, since the UV manual will not fit on a floppy disk? Tell me this isn't so! Hopefully I'm missing something. Any clearification would be appreciated. Thanks.

If only one had time to read a little more: we either get shallow and broad or narrow and deep.
-C.S. Lewis
Post #: 1
- 5/21/2002 3:46:40 AM   
osros

Yep as far as I know that is what needs to be done. I just did it and sprial bind it at staples.

As for the print shop goes I live in NYC and its a $1 per page
in these parts so at a 130 pages thats not an option for me.
I finally got it done on a inkjet and $2.50 at staples for the binding. A hassle but Im all set.

(in reply to Oggidoggi)
Post #: 2
- 5/21/2002 4:09:37 AM   
Paul Vebber

IF you don't have a CD-RW or ZIP disk, use Winzip disk spanning to zip it across 4 or 5 floppies.

Some printshops will even let you email it to them for an extra buck or 2

(in reply to Oggidoggi)
Post #: 3
- 5/21/2002 5:40:01 AM   
Mark W Carver

[QUOTE]Originally posted by osros
[B] As for the print shop goes I live in NYC and its a $1 per page
in these parts so at a 130 pages thats not an option for me.
I finally got it done on a inkjet and $2.50 at staples for the binding. A hassle but Im all set. [/B][/QUOTE]

I took mine to Office Depot and at $.07 a page in black and white, very reasonable. I can print the color pages myself if I really want to...

(in reply to Oggidoggi)
Post #: 4
About the UV manual... - 5/21/2002 6:19:40 AM   
MWMace

When I tried to print the manual to a b/w laser printer, the background "UV" became a BIG UGLY "UV" that blacked out a good chunk of the page.

Am I stupid or am I missing something here??

It works just fine on a color laser....

(in reply to Oggidoggi)
Post #: 5
- 5/21/2002 8:21:23 AM   
Supervisor

[QUOTE]When I tried to print the manual to a b/w laser printer, the background "UV" became a BIG UGLY "UV" that blacked out a good chunk of the page.[/QUOTE]
Just to check it out, I tried printing page 2 and got the same thing. I have a Brother laser printer.

(in reply to Oggidoggi)
Post #: 6
Mission Accomplished! - 5/21/2002 9:16:50 AM   
Oggidoggi

Whew! I went to [url]www.kinkos.com[/url] and uploaded the UV manual to their website. Now I'll be able to pick up my bound copy of the manual tomorrow morning and it only cost $14.85 US. Thanks for the idea Paul Vebber!
p.s. I called the local kinkos to make sure the background UV on each page wouldn't be a problem and they said it would print just fine.

If only one had time to read a little more: we either get shallow and broad or narrow and deep.
-C.S. Lewis

(in reply to Oggidoggi)
Post #: 7
- 5/21/2002 9:20:04 AM   
Paul Goodman

From the Adobe print screen, select "Print as Image", the "UV" will then print in a quarter tone as intended.

Paul

(in reply to Oggidoggi)
Post #: 8
manual impressions - 5/21/2002 10:26:52 AM   
brisd

I have only had the game 4 hours and I am impressed with the manual. PDF was the way to go, keep doing them that way Matrix. If someone needs a high quality tree-killing, expensive paper manual instead of an interactive, high tech pdf version, go print it out. I probably will print out a b/w version at work, its too big to print on my home printer, that's ALOT of ink.

Someone said it is too big to fit on floppy or email - I copied the manual file to a RW CDROM and that way I can study it at work on my breaks on my work pc. :p

(in reply to Oggidoggi)
Post #: 9
- 5/21/2002 7:37:55 PM   
MWMace

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul Goodman
[B]From the Adobe print screen, select "Print as Image", the "UV" will then print in a quarter tone as intended.

Paul [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks, never knew that about Adobe even though I've used it for years...

Any club that would have me as a member I wouldn't want to belong to...

(in reply to Oggidoggi)
Post #: 10
Oh well... - 5/22/2002 3:02:34 AM   
Oggidoggi

Apparently it isn't meant to be. Kinkos cannot print the manual. I uploaded it twice, but for some reason they cannot print that format. The woman I spoke to at Kinkos said that she wasn't sure why it wouldn't work. Bummer. So much for having some good bathroom reading material!

-C.S. Lewis

(in reply to Oggidoggi)
Post #: 11
- 5/22/2002 3:06:27 AM   
Marc von Martial

PDF is a standard and that even in pre-press they should have no problem printing it. Maybe you can be more specific on what problems they have?

(in reply to Oggidoggi)
Post #: 12
Hmmm - 5/22/2002 3:09:03 AM   
ccoul

Might have been operator error at Kinko's. I got mine printed up at Kinko's and there were no problems. In fact according to the Kinko's home page. PDF's are one of there prefered formats.

Chris

(in reply to Oggidoggi)
Post #: 13
- 5/22/2002 3:15:07 AM   
Oggidoggi

Hi Marc,
I'm not sure what the problem was, since the woman gave me such a convoluted reply. The manual worked fine on their computer, but then stopped printing on the copier after the first couple of pages. Does seem rather strange.

-C.S. Lewis

(in reply to Oggidoggi)
Post #: 14
- 5/22/2002 3:17:28 AM   
Oggidoggi

Hi ccoul,
Did you upload the file on the internet to Kinkos or did you burn to a CD and take it there yourself? My brother has a disk burner maybe I could do it that way.

-C.S. Lewis

(in reply to Oggidoggi)
Post #: 15
Answer - 5/22/2002 3:56:32 AM   
ccoul

I burnt a CD. Took it to them at 700am and walk out with it 7:15am. I had it bound and fancy cover put on the back and front ;)

the total price was $14.38. Well worth it since my manual goes with me everywhere. :)

Chris

(in reply to Oggidoggi)
Post #: 16
- 5/22/2002 4:06:47 AM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Oggidoggi
[B]Hi Marc,
I'm not sure what the problem was, since the woman gave me such a convoluted reply. The manual worked fine on their computer, but then stopped printing on the copier after the first couple of pages. Does seem rather strange. [/B][/QUOTE]

It is possible that the file upload didn´t work and the pdf file got corrupted during the transfer.

I think the best solution is to get it personally to a printer.

(in reply to Oggidoggi)
Post #: 17
Re: Answer - 5/23/2002 10:35:58 PM   
11Bravo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ccoul
[B]I burnt a CD. Took it to them at 700am and walk out with it 7:15am. I had it bound and fancy cover put on the back and front ;)

the total price was $14.38. Well worth it since my manual goes with me everywhere. :)

Chris [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi. Well played. My Kinko's wants $150 for printing alone, I didn't ask about binding. Staples is in the same ball park. Similar prices for the other 12 print shops I called.

Please give me the telephone number or city where that Kinko is that charged $15 and took 15 minutes. Maybe I will drive there. :rolleyes:

Maybe I misunderstood something. I am asking for them to print out 137 color pages from 6 pdf files. Did you guys do B&W?

In the meantime I will try the kinkos.com web site. Maybe I will find some joy there. :)

UPDATE:

OK, Kinko's per page costs are as follows, 8 cents for B&W, 99 cents for color. That explains the difference between my quotes and your cost.

You guys opted for black and white copies. :eek:

Now the challenge. Where can I get a color paper version of this manual for about $15. Anybody?

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.

(in reply to Oggidoggi)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> About the UV manual... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI