Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 4:31:02 PM   
Grotius

Well, I'd want to be the skipper of the U.S.S. Enterprise, the Big E.

(in reply to Japan)
Post #: 31
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 5:12:22 PM   
Anthropoid

I share the sentiment expressed by some that: "wouldn't . . . war isn't fun," "allergy to bullets." etc. Having never served in a military, let alone combat, it is perhaps vain and presumptuous to say I'd "wish" to be in one . . . However, in the interest of good fun . . .

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

HYPO Unit (MAGIC codebreaker unit in Hawaii).

In real life, at age 19 I was torn between college and enlisting in the Navy, who based on my ASVABs wanted to make me a "cryptographer."

So I think I'd be best suited to serve with Rtrapasso back in Oahu, keeping all you guys' sweethearts company while you are way storming atolls and shooting down Meatballs

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 32
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 6:14:05 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus
I wouldn't. War isn't fun.

But this thread isn't about war - it is about WITP - so you can be the bits on the left - or the bits on the right! That is if you were "in" WITP.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 33
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 6:16:19 PM   
Terminus

Fine, I'll be three doors down from Robert, making the coffee...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 34
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 6:22:26 PM   
jerrylt2008

Please keep the BS out of the thread. Just have fun with it.

"One tin soldier rides away........."

(in reply to Japan)
Post #: 35
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 6:28:07 PM   
jerrylt2008

I would love to have been in the VMF-214. I would have loved to have served with ole Pappy B and the gang.

"One tin soldier rides away........."

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 36
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 6:59:53 PM   
Bullwinkle58

In USS Bluegill, my father's old boat. Sank a Jap light cruiser, among others. Survived the war to become a Guppy boat. Used early in the Vietnam War to do some skullduggery up and about North Vietnam way.

Now a diving reef near Oahu. (Or was. They may have moved her due to pollution.)

In the game she's the only boat I hand-manage, and Capt. Barr and the boys always Go in Harm's Way.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 6/11/2009 7:00:51 PM >

The Moose

Post #: 37
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 7:23:42 PM   
Fallschirmjager

Wow, way to kill a thread some of you.
I think most of you who say you would not have served, many of you would not have had a choice. Most nations had a little something called a draft that rounded up it's every day citizens and put them out into the field. Many had rear duty jobs of some sort. But many also fought and fought with distinction.
Maybe I will just play the draft board and decide where the non volunteers get stationed

Terminus just got assigned to a minesweeper

< Message edited by Fallschirmjager -- 6/11/2009 7:25:27 PM >
Post #: 38
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 7:26:28 PM   
RUPD3658

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus
I wouldn't. War isn't fun.

But this thread isn't about war - it is about WITP - so you can be the bits on the left - or the bits on the right! That is if you were "in" WITP.

I would rather be a "1" than a "0"

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 39
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 7:29:51 PM   
jwilkerson

If called I hope I would do my duty - and I did serve my time in the "chow line" - though I was too young for WWII. But the idea that combat is "glory" doesn't seem to sit with the people I've talked to who have been there - so saying I would want to be torpedoing the Shinano - or I would want to be bombing Taiho - or other such stuff - doesn't seem to match up with the reality of having to do it. A few adults probably enjoy combat - most do it out of a sense of having to - and then a few run away. I figure I would fall in the middle - but no one knows until they do it.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

Post #: 40
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 7:36:16 PM   
Feltan

Well, in real life I did four years with the U.S. 7th Infantry Division -- so I'd like to think that is where I'd be in a virtual WITP world. However, this time, I'll be the Commander instead of one of the commanded. :-)

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 41
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 7:43:39 PM   
LST Express

In the context of the game, put me in the 1st marine division.

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 42
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 7:49:32 PM   
LST Express

Better yet, put me in command of that bad boy!

(in reply to LST Express)
Post #: 43
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 7:51:55 PM   
jwilkerson

If I get a choice - I'll be in charge of the girls dressing room at the USO club

(somehow I feel like if it was real life - I would not get my choice - and I would be in charge of the latrines on Bataan on April 1st, 1942 )

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

Post #: 44
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 7:52:45 PM   
Terminus

They had latrines left by then?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 45
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 8:05:25 PM   
LST Express

In real life I want to be bob hope's armed forces liaison.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 46
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 8:17:32 PM   
fabertong

I've tried to join the forces many times.....but my flat feet (read flippers).......and lack of thumbs......(the whole grasping thing)......seem to count against me........I'll have to be.........let's see dictator then....

Post #: 47
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 8:31:13 PM   
Ron Belcher

I served our country in the US Navy from 1981 to 1991, as a Radioman.
Spent 7 1/2 years of 10 in the fleet. I would welcome the chance to do
it all in WW II !

- Can't stop the signal (...Serenity)

Artwork graciously provided by Rogueusmc

(in reply to Japan)
Post #: 48
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 8:43:38 PM   
Ron Belcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

In USS Bluegill, my father's old boat. Sank a Jap light cruiser, among others. Survived the war to become a Guppy boat. Used early in the Vietnam War to do some skullduggery up and about North Vietnam way.

Now a diving reef near Oahu. (Or was. They may have moved her due to pollution.)

In the game she's the only boat I hand-manage, and Capt. Barr and the boys always Go in Harm's Way.

My first ship was the Callaghan DDG-994. Named after Admiral Callaghan who lost his life aboard his
flagship the USS San Francisco CA-38. So, I hand-manage the 'ol San Fran as well! Keep em afloat
and dealin' the cards!

Attachment (1)

Artwork graciously provided by Rogueusmc

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 49
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 8:48:16 PM   
Feinder

The HMS Agamemnon of course!

Perhaps the proudest and most crucial ship in the Royal Navy fleet train - the brewery ship!

-F-

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Feinder -- 6/11/2009 8:50:39 PM >

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Ron Belcher)
Post #: 50
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 9:04:18 PM   
Canoerebel

My choices (keeping in mind that this is a game, so that I don't actually die, but I don't know that so there's an element of uncertainty about the fragility of life so that when I come through okay all of life is sweet - got it?):

1.  Flying Tigers
2.  Doolittle's Raiders
3.  With Ensign Pulver as he scopes out nurses.
4.  With Ensign George Gay
5.  Beside a Aussie coastwatcher in the Solomons
6.  Next to Merrit Edson, commander of the 1st Marine Raiders, at Bloody Ridge on Guadalcanal
7.  PT-109
8.  Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron Three as it carries MacArthur and family from Corregidor to Mindanao
9.  No. 75 Squadron RAAF at Port Moresby
10.  With the 5th Marine Division on Iwo Jima, February 23, 1945

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 51
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 9:19:05 PM   
John Lansford

Meteorologist assigned to a HQ unit.  It was what I always wanted to do in the USN but I washed out of boot camp thanks to a torn Achilles' tendon I got back in junior high.

Plus I like to study the weather.  Based on my current occupation, though, I'd probably have ended up either commanding a base force or a Seabee unit (now a civil engineer).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 52
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 9:28:32 PM   
Barb

Well, I am a foreigner, but you can look just to my banner to see a unit :) I would like to give hand to "Pappy" Gunn, fly one of his B-25 strafers over the Rabaul. And get back just "on a wing and a prayer" 

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 53
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 9:30:26 PM   
GenChaos33

As my avatar/sig pic shows. For my Uncle whom I was named after, who was lost Nov. '43 near Truk.

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 54
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 9:36:52 PM   
crsutton

Bob Hope

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 55
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/11/2009 11:28:46 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

I think, I'd prefer to be assigned to the CentPac HQ in Hawaii.  Not too many people trying to kill me there. 

That would be CinCPAC. And obviously you have never served on staff. The bullets are shot at you from behind (and so are the knives in your back!).

I had the misfortune to serve on three different wings (the only shore duty that I could get!).

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 56
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/12/2009 2:48:20 AM   
rogueusmc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Japan

There is no such thing as Duty, that is only propaganda, and as with all Propaganda only narrow minded or ignorant people believe in it.

Imagine leaving your continuing freedom in the hands of someone you deem to be ignorant...not the brightest thing to do but to each his own.

Call me ignorant but lemme into the 1st MarDiv and I'll do my damndest to make sure I do my part.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Japan)
Post #: 57
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/12/2009 10:47:26 AM   
yoshino

I would like to serve his majesty and Imperial Japan as a Zero fighter(or other naval fighters)pilot.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 58
RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? - 6/12/2009 11:07:04 AM   
captskillet

quote:

And in response to Japan - there is a thing called duty - even baboons understand that. Read Heinlein..it's is good reading for the uninformed - which means not completely inwardly formed..

And I subscribe to the "my country, right or wrong" line. But, I subscribe to the complete thought...

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.”

Amen Rev.........I haven't used the green button in awhile so's I think I'll put it to use.

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 59
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI