Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

TCP/IP

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Tech Support >> TCP/IP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TCP/IP - 3/4/2009 12:48:12 AM   
mullinFOAD

I realize you guys don't support the tcp/ip feature, but in the original Crown of Glory I could use it fine on both of my computers. With Emperor's Edition it doesn't even get to the pop-up window that lets you pick between host and join on either one of them (One is vista x64 and one is XP). It gives the error "Could not connect using lobby because of error 0x80040154" and then pops up a window saying that this application requires directx 5 or later. Can anything be done to get it working like it did in the original?
Post #: 1
RE: TCP/IP - 3/5/2009 2:54:50 PM   
ericbabe

We didn't change anything in the TCP/IP implementation, and it's stopped working on one of our machines in the exact way you describe.  I believe what happened is that Microsoft has simply removed DirectPlay 4.0 in the most recent updates to the DirectX libraries.  Direct Play has been deprecated for a few years now, and Microsoft had been saying that at some point they will no longer be included in future DirectX versions, so perhaps that day has come.  The routine that fails is simply trying to call the routine that initializes DirectPlay 4.0, and the error routine that's returned indicates that this function doesn't exist.  We haven't changed anything in this code module from the previous game.  I will try to look into this further to see whether that's the case, and I'd like to try running the original COG on the same machine to see whether TCP/IP there returns the same error.

(in reply to mullinFOAD)
Post #: 2
RE: TCP/IP - 3/5/2009 4:43:47 PM   
mullinFOAD

Weird. I tried CoG on both of my computers after trying CoG EE and the original game still works fine. I was able to start a 2 player game and get into the first turn.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 3
RE: TCP/IP - 3/6/2009 1:17:40 AM   
ericbabe

That is strange.  I'll trace through the code again, and see what I can find.

(in reply to mullinFOAD)
Post #: 4
RE: TCP/IP - 3/6/2009 10:34:42 PM   
mullinFOAD

Great. And thanks. That's all I can ask for. Really enjoying the game btw.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 5
RE: TCP/IP - 3/15/2009 6:27:22 PM   
SalmanBashi

Same problem here and the exact same error messages. Interestingly though Crown Of Glory works fine, the problem only exists with Emperor's Edition. Running XP SP3 with Directx 9.0c. Gigantically balls as I bought the game to play the multiplayer with a friend.

edit: Same problem on xp sp3, dx 9.0c laptop. The laptop also runs crown of glory just fine, problem only with EE.

< Message edited by SalmanBashi -- 3/15/2009 6:59:54 PM >

(in reply to mullinFOAD)
Post #: 6
RE: TCP/IP - 3/15/2009 6:31:54 PM   
Iceshade

I registered just for this. I'm quite disappointed by something so obvious. I guess anyone that isn't using windows 98 to play this would run into this error sooner or later. I can hardly blame Microsoft for dropping support for a piece of software that is completely outdated. I would expect something better from a game that was made in 2009.

Windows XP SP3, DirectX 9.0c. All up to date.

(in reply to SalmanBashi)
Post #: 7
RE: TCP/IP - 3/15/2009 9:24:42 PM   
ericbabe

I don't want anyone reading this thread to be confused.  In our "Product Data" for COG:EE, we explicitly deny support for TCP/IP:
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/366/details/Crown.of.Glory:.Emperor%E2%80%99s.Edition

I don't think anyone should have the expectation that these routines will work considering that we expliclty deny having TCP/IP in our Product Data.  If we can get them to work for some people, that will be nice, but I don't think people should have expectations of the game in this regard.  It is regretable if anyone was confused as to whether or not COG:EE has support for TCP/IP.  We have tried to make it clear that we do not support TCP/IP.

We didn't catch this bug during beta testing because we only did minimal TCP/IP testing; we did minimal TCP/IP testing because we don't actually support TCP/IP.

You are right that it would be strange to expect code written in 2009 to use Direct Play 4.0.  However the engine for COG was not written in 2009; we started writing the engine years ago.  The framework for network play was designed when Direct Play 4.0 was the most modern network library available.

I have looked over the code, and I think I may have figured out why some machines can run TCP/IP on COG but not COG:EE (differences in linker settings).  As I have such a machine, I should be able to test a fix for this before too long.

(in reply to Iceshade)
Post #: 8
RE: TCP/IP - 3/16/2009 5:32:15 AM   
SalmanBashi

Yeah, missed that :( Just discovered EE after playing a marathon of the first game and had a 'holy **** there's a new one out buy it now!' moment. Would be grand if you could knock out a fix for it as it'd save me installing windows + an old ass directx into VMWare which I'll probably end up doing anyway because I am an impatient nerd :D

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 9
RE: TCP/IP - 3/16/2009 11:40:50 PM   
ericbabe

I'm not sure whether that would solve it or not actually -- I'm beginning to think it might all be a problem with the linker settings.  I think we'll be able to fix that.

Post #: 10
RE: TCP/IP - 4/21/2009 5:12:28 PM   
G.Boggon

I have the same problem , both XP an vista . I am trying to convince my friends that this is a better game to be playing than Empier total war, and multy player campain play is one of my best arguments.
ps Forge of Freedom still still works

< Message edited by G.Boggon -- 4/22/2009 11:37:48 PM >

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 11
RE: TCP/IP - 6/12/2009 4:55:38 PM   
SalmanBashi

Bit of an update for anyone looking to play this on tcp/ip, the original problem has been fixed but anyone who isn't the host will crash when sending/receiving data for a detailed battle of any kind. Quick battle works fine though. Will put up error details if requested but for now it's back to conquering europe in single player

(in reply to G.Boggon)
Post #: 12
RE: TCP/IP - 6/16/2009 5:02:53 PM   
ericbabe

I'll try to look into this when I get a chance.  I haven't tested the TCP/IP for detailed battles since we made the decision to drop support for TCP/IP -- I know battles were working at that time, but I was in the middle of writing the new brigade level and ship code, so something in there may have broken it.  I did try to write all the new code to comply to our TCP/IP protocols.  Hopefully the problem here is something simple.

Post #: 13
RE: TCP/IP - 5/3/2011 11:38:01 PM   
pistolero

Any news for the crash in detailed battle in TCP/IP? and for the crash when the host end turn before other players? I know that the TCP/IP feature is not supported, but it's disappointing because the multi is the half of the interest of turn per turn game. And the TCP/IP mode is the only multi-game mode which use the full functionality of this game...

Do you think a payable expansion to support the TCP/IP feature is conceivable?

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 14
RE: TCP/IP - 5/14/2011 11:51:19 AM   
Gil R.

I don't know if Eric ever found the precise cause of this problem, but in answer to your question I can say there's no chance of implementing a workable TCP/IP system in COG:EE. The reason is that the code to let the game play networked isn't in a single place, but rather throughout the game's code. Think of some sci-fi creature that attaches itself to the victim's whole nervous system -- not exactly easy to get rid of. Likewise, the old and partly flawed TCP/IP code (which was a buggy Microsoft release, rather than our own buggy programming) is simply too intertwined with just about everything for an easy replacement.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to pistolero)
Post #: 15
RE: TCP/IP - 5/14/2011 2:56:23 PM   
pistolero

Thanks to answer me! I understand why it's so difficult to realize. just Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition is an incredible game, I think a fully working multiplayer is sufficient for the fans to buy a new version of this game !

< Message edited by pistolero -- 5/14/2011 7:43:02 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Tech Support >> TCP/IP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI