Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Request:Pregame weapons selection

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Request:Pregame weapons selection Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Request:Pregame weapons selection - 6/12/2009 11:19:30 AM   
makobyte

As a officer in command of a fleet, I would not enter a combat area with my aircraft armed haphazardly, I would have each aircraft armed for the mission I intend to assign them.
In ANW we start with our aircraft armed to some default then have to waste 30 minutes rearming them.
I would like to request that a pause be implemented prior to actually starting the game and allow instant arming of aircraft to the desires of the player.
Maybe a popup with the aircraft unit arming window that has a "start game" button on it.
Post #: 1
RE: Request:Pregame weapons selection - 6/12/2009 12:41:41 PM   
FreekS

Makobyte

Each scen has every plane armed the way the scen designer wanted it. Sometimes that means he intentionally armed everything for example for Air to Air and wants the player to need 6 hrs to rearm for strike (for example). So in most cases the loadouts you get, as well as the reloads, have been conciously decided by the designer.

Freek

(in reply to makobyte)
Post #: 2
Harpoon - 6/12/2009 8:39:57 PM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL: makobyte

In ANW we start with our aircraft armed to some default then have to waste 30 minutes rearming them.

I would like to request that a pause be implemented prior to actually starting the game and allow instant arming of aircraft to the desires of the player.

Maybe a popup with the aircraft unit arming window that has a "start game" button on it.

I urge great caution when making such wishes. You rarely get what you wish for and the consequences can be disastrous. Many of the problems on the List of Known ANW Issues started because someone said, "I wish..." AGSI then added them without any testing or forethought about the consequences (mainly because they didn't know how things already worked) and now the game is in the current state it is.

Freek is spot on about the rationale behind the delay and loadout settings. Every designer writes and tests according to how the game works and what he wants to present. If he expects a 6 hour delay in your preparations, then he has most likely factored that into his calculations and testing. However, that doesn't mean that you have to play it his way, either. He's just done his best to try and share a scenario with you. If you don't agree with something, you are free to modify and play it under your own terms. The author might expect you to use limited logistics and only give you 10 AMRAAM missiles, but you can always turn it off and use unlimited ammo to fire a million AMRAAM. Just realize that you probably won't get the results the designer did when he tested it.

The best thing about your idea is that it is already possible to do things 'your way'. It is a bit of work, but not much. If you really don't like the original loadouts of a scenario, you can always open the scenario with the Scenario Editor and just change the loadouts before saving and re-opening it to play with the Game Engine. As with most things in Harpoon, there are already ways to do things that you want to do, but they may take a tiny bit more effort.

Great to see you digging in.

(in reply to makobyte)
Post #: 3
RE: Request:Pregame weapons selection - 6/13/2009 12:46:03 AM   
makobyte

quote:

ORIGINAL: FreekS

Makobyte

Each scen has every plane armed the way the scen designer wanted it. Sometimes that means he intentionally armed everything for example for Air to Air and wants the player to need 6 hrs to rearm for strike (for example). So in most cases the loadouts you get, as well as the reloads, have been conciously decided by the designer.

Freek

Ok..
I can see that now. It just irks me when I play a scenario and half my aircraft seemed armed with weapons that are useless at this stage of the battle.
Though maybe it is because I have not experimented with some features that in the past did not work well...
One issue I had was the arming or iron bombs on fighters before the target air defense was taken down or even air superiority over my own fleet/base was established. I played one scenario (can't remember which) but I had to rearm all my F15's since they were armed with short range air-air weapons and some ground ordinance. I was on the defensive so my job was to ensure that I prevented the enemy from attacking me.

But you are probably right, one nice thing that should be added (probably not by the devs but by the scenario makers) is a note that states what the scenario designer's vision was when they designed the mission.

(in reply to FreekS)
Post #: 4
Harpoon 3 [ANW] scenarios for the PlayersDB - 6/13/2009 2:55:52 AM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL: makobyte

I can see that now. It just irks me when I play a scenario and half my aircraft seemed armed with weapons that are useless at this stage of the battle.

Sometimes, I do this quite deliberatly so that the player does not know everything that might be coming up in the scenario. For example, I might add a Maritime Patrol Aircraft [MPA] for ASW just to let the player think that a submarine might be lurking even when I haven't put one into the scenario. IMO, this keeps the player honest. He can't run around at flank speed without risking a torpedo attack.

Some designers are quite loquacious and write long descriptions of their vision for a scenario or battleset. I think that it's a style thing. Some guys like to do it and some do not think it's worth their time.

(in reply to makobyte)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Request:Pregame weapons selection Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI