Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to use to play MWIF?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to use to play MWIF? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 3/19/2008 11:47:54 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: 0331marine

Thank you for the warm welcome Steve. For now I am just looking around, trying to get an overview of what changes will be implemented from the board game to the computer version. Besides that I have a lot if ideas on WIF but they are more structural changes to the game mechanics and such so they are not really relevent here at this moment.

Only question I do have is in relationship with 64-bit OS and compatibility. As I hope this game will be around for a long time I hope you are considering this aspect, as in the near future more and more people will start using 64-bit systems due to the 4 GiB limit on RAM in a 32-bit OS.

S/F

In the mid-1970's there was a big controversy in the computer industry as to whether hardware or software would make computers successful. The hardware guys won. They have consistently reduced the cost of the hardware while simultaneously improving the performance. The impact of that is that the software guys continually have to make changes to accommodate the changes in hardware - not the other way around. Can you imagine someone inventing a new application and then the hardware guys designing new platforms just to run that application? The closest we have come to that fantasy (software guys' view)/nightmare (hardware guys' view) is in computer graphics, where the mathematical algorithms for 3D graphics (2 and 1/2 D actually) has driven the design of graphics cards.

The 64 bit OS systems exist because the hardware guys created 64 bit hardware systems. The application programs are then suppose to make changes to be compatible with the 64 bit OS.

At any point in time there is a broad range of systems in use, both hardware and software. The age of those systems range from ancient (in computer terms) to prototype systems, not yet available commercially, being used by designers working at the cutting edge.

The best we can do for MWIF is to design for the existing marketplace, hoping to span somewhat backwards in time and up to the current. Designing for the newest released systems is not feasible - the market is too small. And there is always the very nasty catch-22: take the time to design and code for what is the newest and by the time you have accomplished that task, there will be a new 'newest'.

This is a struggle for all software companies. And the smaller their customer base the more difficult it is to afford to make those changes.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to 0331marine)
Post #: 151
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 3/19/2008 8:02:24 PM   
0331marine

This is of course understandble, I only hope that MWIF will be able to run under an 64 bit OS. My experiance is that most contemporary software have few issues, but there are some older games that I have not been able to run. In short I only wish that MWIF can run with an acceptble level of reliblity on an 64-bit OS. That the gane will be coded in 32-bit I take for granted, and this game almost if not rival Duke Nukem Forever when it comes to develompent time, only reason why MWIF isnt makeing the same headlines is of course this is a niche product.

S/F

PS if you need playtesting for 64-bit issues I will am game, have nothing pressing besides a new WIF game starting tomorrow.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 152
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 3/19/2008 10:22:04 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

This is of course understandble, I only hope that MWIF will be able to run under an 64 bit OS. My experiance is that most contemporary software have few issues, but there are some older games that I have not been able to run. In short I only wish that MWIF can run with an acceptble level of reliblity on an 64-bit OS. That the gane will be coded in 32-bit I take for granted, and this game almost if not rival Duke Nukem Forever when it comes to develompent time, only reason why MWIF isnt makeing the same headlines is of course this is a niche product.

S/F

PS if you need playtesting for 64-bit issues I will am game, have nothing pressing besides a new WIF game starting tomorrow.

Thanks for the offer.

Keep checking in once a week and when we need more beta testers I will post a request for same. That is when you will need to volunteer (again).

Steve

(in reply to 0331marine)
Post #: 153
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 3/21/2008 9:07:52 PM   
Tac2i

WinXP SP2 (home built)
3GB RAM
Intel 2.8GHz
19in Monitor
512MB MSI Nvidia NX8600GS PCI Express videocard
HD - loads of space

WinVista SP1 Home Premium (Toshiba laptop)
2GB RAM
15in Wide Screen/128MB Intel Integrated Video
Dual 100GB Sata HDs

Internet Connection: High Speed wireless via Alltel

< Message edited by Webizen -- 4/4/2008 10:33:10 PM >

Post #: 154
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 3/24/2008 12:02:09 PM   
hakon

About HD:

As sales of HD TV's are very high, now, I expect that quite many people will want to connect their computer to a HD TV, which is often only going to be only the 720p (1280x720 pixels) variant. For this reason, i think that using 1024x768 as minimum screen resolution when designing user interface forms may be shooting yourself in the foot a bit. (720p TV's screens are excellent for many other kinds of games, as they are large but still fairly cheap, many computer doesn't have to power to drive 3D intensive games at much greater resolution than this anyway, and because they easily double as a TV/monitor, while the computer can triple as a games platform/office platform/VCR. Also, WIF is probably going to look quite nice on such a big screen, even if the resolution is a bit low (1080p full HD will of course be much better).

So, I think the minimum resolution should 1024x720 pixels, unless shaving off those 48 pixels from the bottom will hurt the usability too much.

Hakon

EDIT: Also, having the capability to play the game with a projector (or LARGE, 60"+ TV), could be an interesting option in a LAN game, and could possibly even replace the board game variant, in time, at least for some groups. Of course, the 1080p projectors are still quite expensive, so this would often require 720p compatibility.

< Message edited by hakon -- 3/24/2008 12:07:41 PM >

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 155
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 3/24/2008 7:29:09 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: hakon

About HD:

As sales of HD TV's are very high, now, I expect that quite many people will want to connect their computer to a HD TV, which is often only going to be only the 720p (1280x720 pixels) variant. For this reason, i think that using 1024x768 as minimum screen resolution when designing user interface forms may be shooting yourself in the foot a bit. (720p TV's screens are excellent for many other kinds of games, as they are large but still fairly cheap, many computer doesn't have to power to drive 3D intensive games at much greater resolution than this anyway, and because they easily double as a TV/monitor, while the computer can triple as a games platform/office platform/VCR. Also, WIF is probably going to look quite nice on such a big screen, even if the resolution is a bit low (1080p full HD will of course be much better).

So, I think the minimum resolution should 1024x720 pixels, unless shaving off those 48 pixels from the bottom will hurt the usability too much.

Hakon

EDIT: Also, having the capability to play the game with a projector (or LARGE, 60"+ TV), could be an interesting option in a LAN game, and could possibly even replace the board game variant, in time, at least for some groups. Of course, the 1080p projectors are still quite expensive, so this would often require 720p compatibility.

I struggle all the time with both the 1024 and the 768 limitations. Of the two, the 768 limit is the much more difficult for me to deal with. When using 720, It is not that the game will be unplayable, it is just that many forms will have to be scrolled to see the bottom 48 pixels.

While accommodating a wider audience is clearly a wonderful thing to do, adversely affecting all the other players who use a larger screen is even less desireable.

Steve

(in reply to hakon)
Post #: 156
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 3/24/2008 11:00:02 PM   
hakon

I did a bit of checking. 720p Tv's seems to usually support 768 vertical pixels, while projectors don't. (My old projector is 720p, but it's being replaced very soon anyway.) So this problem may not be so bad after all.

But in general, widescreen screens is becoming the norm now, at least in the high end (even my laptop has a widescreen), so horisontal real estate IS going to be a lot more plentiful than vertikal one.

Btw, will the game support using 2 or more windows, so that they can be placed on different screens? For instance, if I could have the map on one screen, and information pop ups (like the naval information screens, etc), on a different window, it would certainly speed up play.

If not, will the game stay in windowed mode, so that I can use Excel, rules documents, charts, etc on the separate screen? (I tend to have my build plan in Excel, and it would be nice to be able to work on it while the opponent is moving, etc.)

Cheers
Hakon

Post #: 157
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 3/24/2008 11:57:12 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: hakon

I did a bit of checking. 720p Tv's seems to usually support 768 vertical pixels, while projectors don't. (My old projector is 720p, but it's being replaced very soon anyway.) So this problem may not be so bad after all.

But in general, widescreen screens is becoming the norm now, at least in the high end (even my laptop has a widescreen), so horisontal real estate IS going to be a lot more plentiful than vertikal one.

Btw, will the game support using 2 or more windows, so that they can be placed on different screens? For instance, if I could have the map on one screen, and information pop ups (like the naval information screens, etc), on a different window, it would certainly speed up play.

If not, will the game stay in windowed mode, so that I can use Excel, rules documents, charts, etc on the separate screen? (I tend to have my build plan in Excel, and it would be nice to be able to work on it while the opponent is moving, etc.)

Cheers
Hakon

That's good news about the 720 pixel TVs. Thanks.

Yes, MWIF already supports multiple monitors. The screen layouts feature lets you arrange things however you like on your monitor "real estate". And you can have different screen layouts defined so you can switch between them for different phases in the sequence of play. I keep meaning to show a screen shot where a dozen different detailed maps are on screen at the same time. Maybe today?

You can also run other Windows applications concurrently - at least in theory. Since I know nothing about the code in other applications, blanket statements like "yeah, sure" would be foolish for me to make.

Steve

(in reply to hakon)
Post #: 158
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 3/25/2008 12:27:51 AM   
Terminus

Just have to say I'm really looking forward to this game...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 159
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 3/25/2008 12:41:33 AM   
hakon

Yeah, me too. :)

Good to hear about the multipe screen support, btw.

Post #: 160
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 3/25/2008 1:59:08 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Just have to say I'm really looking forward to this game...

Welcome. Post much to the Matrix forums?

Steve

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 161
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 3/25/2008 3:53:42 AM   
Terminus

No. Where'd you get that idea?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 162
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 3/26/2008 1:03:38 AM   
Taxman66

I got a pretty basic machine.  Don't run FPS games so don't need anything fancy.

Dell Dimension 4700, P4 2.8GHz
1.5 GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 7600GT
WinXP Media Center Edition, Service Pack 2
Verizon FIOS (love it)

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 163
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 4/1/2008 1:10:16 AM   
Anendrue

quote:

Thank you for the warm welcome Steve. For now I am just looking around, trying to get an overview of what changes will be implemented from the board game to the computer version. Besides that I have a lot if ideas on WIF but they are more structural changes to the game mechanics and such so they are not really relevent here at this moment.

Only question I do have is in relationship with 64-bit OS and compatibility. As I hope this game will be around for a long time I hope you are considering this aspect, as in the near future more and more people will start using 64-bit systems due to the 4 GiB limit on RAM in a 32-bit OS.

S/F

This is excerpted from the Microsoft Knowledge base article 282423.

List of limitations in 64-Bit Windows

No Kernel-Mode 32-Bit Code
No Mixed 64-Bit/32-Bit Processes
• 64-bit programs cannot load and call 32-bit MDAC.
• 64-bit Microsoft Internet Explorer cannot load 32-bit ActiveX controls.
• The 64-bit shell cannot load 32-bit Inproc shell extensions.
• 32-bit installer programs cannot load and register 64-bit DLLs.

No 16-Bit Code

(note by abj9562: Essentially this means if any of the dll's delivered in the software have any buried 16 bit code in them the game may have serious issues on a 64 bit platform and probably will not run. Many development platforms overcame this by inserting 16 "0"'s) after each piece of 16 bit code to bring it into the next generation, however this has been a dubious fix at best.)

• No 16-bit code can run, except for recognized InstallShield and Acme installers (these are hard-coded in Wow64 to allow them to work).
• 16-bit Setup bootstraps are not supported.
• 16-bit MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows 3.x utilities will not start. If you attempt to start such a program, you receive a "Program.exe is not a valid Win32 application" error message.

No OS/2 or Posix Program Support
There is no support for OS/2 or Posix programs.
Back to the top

No Kernel-Mode 32-Bit Code
There is no support for Kernel-mode or 32-bit code such as: • 32-bit virus-detection or 32-bit file system filters.
• 32-bit video adapter or 32-bit network adapter drivers.
• 32-bit Kernel-mode printer drivers.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to 0331marine)
Post #: 164
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 4/1/2008 1:15:05 AM   
Anendrue

As a side note I believe when Steve started developing the game 64 bit OS was still in development. At this late stage this would be an unpleasant to impossible task to change all the code to a new development platform capable of fully supporting 64 bit OS's. However I'll leave it to Steve to confirm or deny that fact.

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 165
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 4/1/2008 1:40:08 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562

As a side note I believe when Steve started developing the game 64 bit OS was still in development. At this late stage this would be an unpleasant to impossible task to change all the code to a new development platform capable of fully supporting 64 bit OS's. However I'll leave it to Steve to confirm or deny that fact.

Let me say this about that:.

I am using Delphi 2007 and generating a Windows-32 application. I am pretty sure that means it does not have embedded 16 bit code, and I am certain it does not directly support a 64 bit OS. Nor I have incorporated old libraries into the executable, so there shouldn't be any 16 bit references brought in through other DLLs.

But there is always the possibility that weirdnesses are being done out of my direct line-of-sight. Guys that write compilers and operating systems have been known to do such things in the past.

Steve

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 166
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 4/1/2008 4:40:05 PM   
Anendrue

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

But there is always the possibility that weirdnesses are being done out of my direct line-of-sight. Guys that write compilers and operating systems have been known to do such things in the past.

Wirdness is an understatement. However I have a lot of respect for people who can work quickly and efficently in decimal, binary, octal, and hex while chewing bubblegum, listening to music, and jotting down notes at the same time.

Post #: 167
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 4/1/2008 7:17:42 PM   
Mziln

The Yuki language in California and the Pamean languages in Mexico have octal systems because the speakers count using the spaces between their fingers rather than the fingers themselves.

In 1716 King Charles XII of Sweden asked Emanuel Swedenborg to elaborate a number system based on 64 instead of 10. Swedenborg however argued that for people with less intelligence than the king such a big base would be too difficult and instead proposed 8 as base. In 1718 Swedenborg wrote a manuscript, which has not been published: "En ny rekenkonst som om vexlas wid Thalet 8 i stelle then wanliga wid Thalet 10" ("A new arithmetic (or art of counting) which changes at the Number 8 instead of the usual at the Number 10"). The numbers 1-7 are there denoted by the consonants l, s, n, m, t, f, u (v) and zero by the vowel o. Thus 8 = "lo", 16 = "so", 24 = "no", 64 = "loo", 512 = "looo" etc. Numbers with consecutive consonants are pronounced with vowel sounds between in accordance with a special rule.

Octal is sometimes used in computing instead of hexadecimal, perhaps most often in modern times in conjunction with file permissions under Unix systems (see chmod). It has the advantage of not requiring any extra symbols as digits (the hexadecimal system is base-16 and therefore needs six additional symbols beyond 0–9). It is also used for digital displays.

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 168
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 4/2/2008 8:11:42 AM   
hakon

If the game comes out anytime soon, I will be playing on a Duo2 (3GHz) based Vista 64bit system with 8 gigs of ram, and with one 30" 2560x1600 primary screen (for the map) and a 19" 1280x1024 secondary screen (for tables, rules, etc).

The reason I'm moving to 64bit system, is the possibility to take advantage of more than 3 gigs of ram (1 of the 4 theoretical maximum gigs is usually allocated for the vivdeo card, etc). I expect that in the next few years, a significant percentage of new PC's will be sold with 64 bit OS-es,

Cheers
Hakon

(in reply to Mziln)
Post #: 169
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 4/25/2008 1:50:06 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I am going to purchase a notebook computer in the next couple of days and I am looking for advice. The last time I purchased a notebook was 8 years ago.

The notebook will serve two purposes:

A - To sit on my desk alongside of my main computer so I can test playing MWIF over the internet using a LAN between the two machines

B - To take on trips, principally my trip to Origins in June.

I do not expect to use the notebook for anything else, so I am looking for a rather stripped down system, as far as peripherals are concerned.

Specifications:

1 - I want it to run MWIF fast, so maximizing CPU speed is important.

2 - For the same reason I want at least 1 GB of main memory, probably 2 GB. More than that isn't necessary.

3 - Any reasonable sized disk will do; 80 GB would be fine.

4 - A large monitor would be nice, and I need at least 1024 by 768 resolution for MWIF.

5 - Weight and size doesn't particularly matter to me, since I do not go on that many trips. The notebook will spend most of its life playing second fiddle to my main machine.

6 - MWIF is designed for Windows XP though I would like it to run under Vista at least in XP Emulation mode.

7 - I'll add WordPerfect Office to the system for word processing.

8 - A standard mouse to suplement any touch pad.

Open Questions

a - How does the introduction of dual core processing affect the overall CPU speed. Do you simply multiply by 2?

b - What is the best way to set up the LAN? What software and hardware (e.g., cable) would be necessary?

c - Is using a standard mouse going to be possible? What would need to be purchased to do that?

d - Is it possible to buy Windows XP any more? Is using Vista Home Edition a reasonable choice? I suspect that is what most of the people who buy MWIF and run it on a newly purchased computer will be using.

Steve

(in reply to hakon)
Post #: 170
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 4/25/2008 6:33:08 AM   
SemperAugustus

Based on limited experience most laptops only USB or wireless mice, unless you intend to use a docking station you can't use P/S2. I am not sure if that counts as a normal mouse.

80 GB seems to be a bit on the low side: Vista plus service pack roll back files etc can easily consume 10 GB if not 20 GB, the paging file for the main memory can reach 2.5 times the memory, Office 2k7 or Virtual Studio are not small either. A 70% or 80% full hard disk is going have slowed read/writes which affects performance. Unless you are displined about keeping the hard disk very clean you can run into problems. Personally, I run VMWare server sometimes with XP images that requires a few GB as well, I'd go for at least 160 GB plus as much memory as the OS will support (4 GB minus video card memory, maybe 3.5 GB in the case of Vista).

Isn't an encrypted wireless lan connection better than one using cables? The point of a laptop is to cut down on cables and for it to be portable. If you are moving around the laptop with the cables, you can easily wear out the area around the cable connectors.

As for Vista version, I personally use Ultimate for the MUI feature, but Home Premium or Business are probably good enough. It depends on the kind of environment you intend to use it in. I'd go for business unless there is a good reason not to. That said it really depends on how flexible you want to be and how long you intend to use the laptop.

Post #: 171
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 4/25/2008 9:59:27 AM   
Froonp

quote:

Open Questions

a - How does the introduction of dual core processing affect the overall CPU speed. Do you simply multiply by 2?

I don't think so.
Each core is a CPU, and if the application was not designed to use 2 cores, it will only use 1 at a time. So a 2.4 GHz Dual Core is not exactly as a 4.8 GHz. But 4.8 GHz don't exist, and non dual core CPU stopped at 3.2 GHz. Moreover, I don't think you will have much the choice. Dual Core also produce least heat, so need less cooling, so generaly are more silent.

quote:

b - What is the best way to set up the LAN? What software and hardware (e.g., cable) would be necessary?

Software : Nothing, you have it all with Windows, either XP of Vista.

Hardware : The bare minimum would be a crossed RJ45 cable, that would link both your PCs, from one Network Card to the other. You'd then need to configure the TCP/IP protocol, but this is very easy.
But this bare minimum is nearly sure of not being enough for you, as you may have your main machine already connected through RJ45 straight cable to an Internet Router (for your Internet connexion).
In that case, you'd need to buy an Ethernet Switch (or a Hub, but preferably a switch) plus 2 straight RJ45 cables. Each cable would link one of your machines to the Switch (or hub) using your network card, and then your Internet Connexion would also be connected to your switch.
So, it mostly depends on how you are connected on the Internet now.

quote:

c - Is using a standard mouse going to be possible? What would need to be purchased to do that?

A mouse. I believe that most laptops provide both USB & PS/2 connexions for mouses.

quote:

d - Is it possible to buy Windows XP any more? Is using Vista Home Edition a reasonable choice? I suspect that is what most of the people who buy MWIF and run it on a newly purchased computer will be using.

Windows XP will soon be unavailable, and in a couple of years wont be supported anymore by Microsoft. So here you seem not to have the choice.

Post #: 172
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 4/25/2008 10:06:44 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: SemperAugustus
80 GB seems to be a bit on the low side: Vista plus service pack roll back files etc can easily consume 10 GB if not 20 GB, the paging file for the main memory can reach 2.5 times the memory, Office 2k7 or Virtual Studio are not small either. A 70% or 80% full hard disk is going have slowed read/writes which affects performance. Unless you are displined about keeping the hard disk very clean you can run into problems. Personally, I run VMWare server sometimes with XP images that requires a few GB as well, I'd go for at least 160 GB plus as much memory as the OS will support (4 GB minus video card memory, maybe 3.5 GB in the case of Vista).

It maybe the low end, but I'm sure this is enough for what Steve says he want's to use it.
Hardrives larger than 80 GB exist for laptops, the average seems to be around 120 GB, but I think that 80 is enough for just playing MWiF.

quote:

Isn't an encrypted wireless lan connection better than one using cables? The point of a laptop is to cut down on cables and for it to be portable. If you are moving around the laptop with the cables, you can easily wear out the area around the cable connectors.

I prefer wired LAN because it is quicker. You can easily have 1 GB wired connexions (GB Switches and Network Cards are common now), and 100 MB are the norm. Wireless barely reach half that with the current norm.
Also, wireless is not that secure, depending on the skills of the person who set it up.
Also, wired LAN is harmless for health, and wifi has not proved that. There are suspicions of the contrary.

(in reply to SemperAugustus)
Post #: 173
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 4/25/2008 12:39:58 PM   
SemperAugustus

Wifi/wireless is usually not where the bottleneck is in a network if you are working over the internet. The only time you really notice a slow down inside a network when using wireless/wifi is file copying.

As for XP, currently it is planned to be killed June 30th, but it may change
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/24/xp_ballmer_customer_demand/

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 174
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 4/25/2008 1:14:51 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: SemperAugustus

Wifi/wireless is usually not where the bottleneck is in a network if you are working over the internet. The only time you really notice a slow down inside a network when using wireless/wifi is file copying.

As for XP, currently it is planned to be killed June 30th, but it may change
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/24/xp_ballmer_customer_demand/

The advice from both of you is much appreciated.

The point of using a LAN is to avoid needing an Internet connection. If a direct connection can be made, that removes a lot of bother - the fewer players involved in the interchange of data the better, in my opinion. When traveling, a WiFi connection would be useful. Your comment about the fragility of the connections on a notebook brought back memories of problems we had had with earlier notebooks - thank's for the reminder.

As for disk space, I'm a simple guy. No videos or pictures, and only a couple of personally recorded barbershop tunes (for learning the music). I did try loading in a 90 minute video of one of our chorus' performances once and I was appalled at how much space it consumed. It also took hours to load it in.

Steve

(in reply to SemperAugustus)
Post #: 175
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 4/28/2008 4:46:18 AM   
hakon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

This is fully up to you, as programmer :) Dual core means that you can run 2 processes or threads concurrently, at full speed. If you make good use of threading, you get twice the speed. If you don't use any threading, the maxiumum benefit will be that you may offload some system processes and other tasks to the second core, while the main core runs the main game thread. In the last case, you will only get about 10% to 20% speed increase over a single core.

More and more software supports 2 or more core, though, since dual core is pretty much becoming the standard (with quad core or more taking over the high end).

quote:

The standard setup for a home network, is a broadband router, SMC have some good ones at :
http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?cid=1&event=viewCategory&localeCode=EN_USA

(I dont have very good experience with 3com's low end routers).

Such a box contain:
- A router, with NAT support, which means that you get a local range of IP addresses that can't be seen from the outside. (Which is good for security). You can then expose only the ports that you specifically want to open, and delegate them to the computer that serves/answers the port, if you want to have a web server, ftp server etc. Connections made from the inside to the outside will be directed automatically.
- A built in firewall, which is a very nice first line of defense.
- A switch, usually with 4-8 lan ports, depending on your need.
- (usually) a wireless access point. This is highly recommended when you have a laptop, since it means that you can access your network from anywhere in the house, and there is less plugging/unplugging when you travel with your PC. Mine is set up to allow only the MAC address of my specific laptop, which means that it's quite hard to tap into for my neighbours. If you don't sit right next to the access point, the radiation exposure should be very limited, compared for instance to moderate use of a cell phone.

Some versions may also add more functionality, such as printer connectivity, etc, depending on your needs.

In addition to this, you only need 1 RJ45 cable per computer you want to connect,.

quote:

All new laptops will support any USB mouse.

quote:

Hmm. I would recommend Vista, and maybe Vista 64. If anything, then to avoid any compatibility issues. Of course, if you want to run a full developer environment on Vista 64, you probably want 4 gigs of ram.

A feature breakdown of for the vista versions is listed below:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx

Post #: 176
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 4/28/2008 5:29:08 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Thanks.

I ordered a 17" notebook with 4 GB RAM, 2.4 GHz Intel Duo Processor, 3MB cache, 320 GB 7200 rpm hard drive (2 x 160 GB).

The screen is Active Matrix with 1920 by 1200 max. resolution and uses a NVIDIA 8800M card with 512 MB video memory.

Network is Intel 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N wireless and RealTek 10/100/1000 Ethernet. Also a V.92 56K modem.

The operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit) SP1.

I ordered a Bluetooth compatable external mouse too, since I dislike touchpads.

It comes with 3 USB 2.0 and IEE 1394 Firewire Port.

I still need to pick up a CAT cable to connect the notebook with my main machine (using the Ethernet link).

I own a router which connects my wife's machine to mine, and hence to the Internet. I'll plug the CAT cable into one of the 3 open ports on the back of the router - it will be a direct/hard wired connection.

The system won't be delivered until May 22nd.

Steve

(in reply to hakon)
Post #: 177
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 4/28/2008 6:56:20 AM   
Zorachus99

I've performed an upgrade.

System:
AMD Phenom 9850BE Quad-Core @ 2600Mhz
4 GB DDR2 1066Mhz RAM
ATI 3870 512Mb Video Card

Display:
Samsung 1600x1200 4x3 LCD

Vista Ultimate x86

< Message edited by Zorachus99 -- 4/28/2008 6:57:21 AM >

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

Post #: 178
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 6/14/2009 3:34:23 PM   
Anendrue

With the game so close to release I thought I would revive this thread from the freezer.

My current system has been upgraded to three monitors now. The left and right are 1680x1050 turned 90 degrees. The main monitor is a 28" at 1920x1200 for the map running on dual 640MB video cards, 5.1 surround sound, 2gigs ram, quad core cpu, and other goodies.
I understand the forms and windows can be dragged off the map window and be placed on any screen estate you have, is this still accurate?

(in reply to MPHopcroft1)
Post #: 179
Netplay - 6/14/2009 4:10:36 PM   
gridley

A quick question of upload/download speeds for netplay.

I am unable to play Paradox games from home because of lag. I live in the country and have an outdoor wireless modem, it just isn't fast enough.

Because WiF is turn based, I'm hoping that lag won't be an issue and I can play from home. Is my assumption correct or will I have to play WiF from my office too, with it's faster speed?

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to use to play MWIF? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI