Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 23 June

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: 23 June Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 7:53:42 AM   
DivePac88

quote:

ORIGINAL: tigercub

you got a boat go pick up the Manuals!

No… no, they won’t be shipping by boat, it’s just terminology.

EDIT; Cool, new page never done that before.

< Message edited by DivePac88 -- 6/25/2009 7:55:09 AM >

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 91
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 9:22:16 AM   
goodwoodrw

Well one way to save a buck would be to wait for the game to hit the Christmas discount table

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 92
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 9:54:40 AM   
undercovergeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: BASB

Well one way to save a buck would be to wait for the game to hit the Christmas discount table

you know, noones going to pick up your pieces when you get struck by lightning!

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 93
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 10:56:27 AM   
goodwoodrw

quote:

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek

quote:

you know, noones going to pick up your pieces when you get struck by lightning!

nope! not possible lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place!

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to undercovergeek)
Post #: 94
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 12:09:47 PM   
Yamato hugger

With your luck it will be on that North Korean barge the US Navy is going to sink!

DEc 7th. Im telling ya

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 95
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 12:36:13 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

'sides, he's from Vermont...anyone know anyone evil who came from Vermont?

Well....There was that "Maple Syrup Mafia" in the mid thirties, IIRC..???

< Message edited by m10bob -- 6/25/2009 12:52:14 PM >

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 96
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 12:55:07 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

The manuals are literally "on the boat".

Some of you have probably heard of the song "Slow Boat to China" ... well we joke that our manuals are one the "Slow Boat from China". But it is actually not a joke - it is the literal truth - truth is stranger than fiction!!!

But the good news - is that at least the manuals are finally ON THE BOAT! Now what about those port loading routines Don - is there enough capacity to load all the manuals before the end of the month? When will the boat actually sail!!!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 97
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 1:22:06 PM   
captskillet

Jesus were waiting on a slow boat from China.................call in all subs!!!!

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 98
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 1:48:26 PM   
rogueusmc

quote:

nope! not possible lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place!

Who told you that?...

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 99
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 3:18:45 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

There'll probably be an AE Pre-Release Support Group popping up on FaceBook shortly...

Not yet, nor is the War in the Pacific group associated with the game. Come to think of it T , your not in there either!

Am too!

Really? Under your real name or an alias? I couldn't find you. Maybe I mis-spelled something.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 100
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 5:00:42 PM   
grraven2004

Erik,

I am an unemployed truck driver. Just tell me where to pick up the manuals and I will drive straight through to your warehouse!!!! All I ask is food and a free copy of da game!

Human by birth

Klingon By choice!

Sig changed per Erik's request

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 101
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 5:04:24 PM   
Terminus

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

There'll probably be an AE Pre-Release Support Group popping up on FaceBook shortly...

Not yet, nor is the War in the Pacific group associated with the game. Come to think of it T , your not in there either!

Am too!

Really? Under your real name or an alias? I couldn't find you. Maybe I mis-spelled something.

Possibly...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 102
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 6:30:07 PM   
AttuWatcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: rroberson
seems like to me if you are requiring Vanilla (70 dollars) and AE (Erik has now stated could be as much as 70 dollars) thats a lot of dollars for the new guy who is showing up in the forums ...tomorrow...to spend to play the game.

That's me!
An outsider view on this: WitP/AE really has the market cornered as far as I can see. The only other alternative for grand strategy is HoI series but I can't stand the realtime/start/stop game model. TBS or nothing! Domnate a niche of a niche in the game market, charge a nice round figure, and make the latest game require the previous engine it was built on. This is how Matrix makes their money. Quality, not quantity. Smarter, not harder.

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 103
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 9:38:12 PM   
Tophat1815

quote:

Actually Yes.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 104
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 9:44:36 PM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: FAsea

quote:

seems like to me if you are requiring Vanilla (70 dollars) and AE (Erik has now stated could be as much as 70 dollars) thats a lot of dollars for the new guy who is showing up in the forums ...tomorrow...to spend to play the game.

Buy WiTp today..............start playing now.

In a month(when AE is hopefully out)upgrade to AE.

If you start now you might just get yourself on track.

This is your hobby right? Just tell yourself its going to cost me $200.00 for about oh 5 yrs give ot take of playing time. When you add the Witp $ and AE then find its under $200.00 you can then be happy you saved money.

Don't listen to anyone who gives you that: Its a mighty steep price for a new guy garbage. These games will keep you entertained,frustrated,addicted,overjoyed and depressed for years!

< Message edited by Tophat1812 -- 6/25/2009 9:45:50 PM >

(in reply to AttuWatcher)
Post #: 105
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 10:29:05 PM   
DrewMatrix

Based on the date I joined this forum I have been playing WITP for about 5 years. And I expect to play AE for that long as well. I have bought a lot of other games that have given me a lot fewer hours of play.

The cost is very reasonable, particularly compared to my other hobbies, some of whose costs are only semi-reasonable

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 106
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 10:54:18 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Yeah, my wife's from Vermont. And she must be evil.....she's a lawyer!!!!

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 107
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 11:42:19 PM   
Barneyrubb90

Thanks for the latest info. Thanks for the manual. Thanks for the efforts in getting the game out right. Thanks for being patient with us.

"A happy sailor is a bitching sailor" We must all be happy.

I am confident we will be even more so soon.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 108
RE: 23 June - 6/26/2009 3:33:57 AM   
rroberson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

quote:

quote:

Buy WiTp today..............start playing now.

In a month(when AE is hopefully out)upgrade to AE.

If you start now you might just get yourself on track.

This is your hobby right? Just tell yourself its going to cost me $200.00 for about oh 5 yrs give ot take of playing time. When you add the Witp $ and AE then find its under $200.00 you can then be happy you saved money.

Don't listen to anyone who gives you that: Its a mighty steep price for a new guy garbage. These games will keep you entertained,frustrated,addicted,overjoyed and depressed for years!

Hobby or not. Two bills is a lot of money to support a habit. A lot of gamers have wives and kids to support. Requiring the first game 70 dollars to play the second game (somewhere under 70 dollars) will assure quite a few people don't pick up one or both. I know for a fact a lot of my war gaming buddies from the combat mission series avoided WITP because of sticker shock.

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 109
RE: 23 June - 6/26/2009 3:49:25 AM   
AttuWatcher

I can attest to the sticker shock. I've known about WitP since 4 years ago but never took the plunge. But as outlined in my post above, I don't currently see any alternatives that can compete. Combined with my growing interest (and patience!) for large scale strategy has made me come back for a second look.

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 110
RE: 23 June - 6/26/2009 4:04:14 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmscho
Can anyone at Matrix keep the queue happy, while we wait for the team to finish their work?

Please, PLEASE read my replies above.

So, do you want me to read your responses above BEFORE I ask my question about the release date ? I am unclear.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Post #: 111
RE: 23 June - 6/26/2009 4:09:43 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

I got a card and a car charger for my iphone. Kinda sucks.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Graycompany

I kinda did to. I got ripped off for Fathers day, I told the family that is what I wanted, and so all I got was a card and a steak dinner

Yep, I got to take everyone out to eat . But at least they still want to hang out with me sometimes. I guess that's something.

And I did take my two oldest to then go see my Dad, who is alive, kicking, and drinking at age 80.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 112
RE: 23 June - 6/26/2009 5:16:13 AM   
Crimguy

Sticker shock - I probably spend more on video games than anyone I know. I'm Mr. Impulse Purchase. This year alone I've purchased 2-3 titles already, with AE and MWiF in my queue.

But . . . I too balk at prices I deem "too high." One of the greatest games/sims I've ever played was Steel Beasts. SB2 has been out for a couple years, but at $125 I'll probably never buy it. If I were coming into the WitP fold, I would simply walk away from the prospect of spending $140 on the game.

And that's what it would be. Regardless of the differences between the two products, no one is going to see it that way. It'll appear to most that Matrix is selling the equivilent of Crown of Glory and Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition at the same time, at the same price. Who the hell would buy the first title, and who would buy both?

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 113
RE: 23 June - 6/26/2009 5:26:28 AM   
byron13

quote:

printing was done in China (sorry, but printing a 330 page full color manual in the US was simply beyond our budget, we do print all our grayscale manuals in the US though).

Regards,

- Erik

You know, that just ain't right. I'm not questioning the decision on a "Buy American" basis, and I don't doubt it was the cheapest option. After all, America is supposed to be the home of free markets and the better mousetrap. What ain't right is America has some real issues if, with all the Apple computers and whiz-bang stuff we're supposed to have, the entrepreneurs and home-based businesses, etc., we can't print a manual for less than it costs to ship it from China. I bought a tin of mints the other day about the size of, say, a match box. The mints were made in the U.S., but the tin box was made in China. Now how it is possible that some guy that used to stamp car parts in Alabama or Oklahoma (but doesn't anymore because Americans don't seem to be able to make cars anymore either - at least not American cars) can't stamp out a bunch of tin flippin' boxes for less than it costs to ship across the whole danged Pacific? Things'll change, I know. I am old enough to remember when Made in Japan meant inexpensive; then it was Made In Korea. When the Chinese get rich, it'll be Made in Indonesia or Nigeria. But it still bugs the bejesus out of me that this stuff with virtually no value added in production and virtually no human labor is still cheaper to import than to get domestically. But I guess every printer has to make his BMW payments . . .

Sorry for the rant.

< Message edited by byron13 -- 6/26/2009 6:10:21 AM >

Post #: 114
RE: 23 June - 6/26/2009 6:07:42 AM   
byron13

quote:

Look, I posted just a couple of weeks ago saying we were probably looking at a July release based on the timeline of the printed manuals. For the last two months there has been constant AAR activity from the test team here as well as about a quarter of the manual being posted as a free preview. This to you constitutes "zero to no buzz"? Wow.

I also gave a very narrow ballpark for the price (less than WITP but not by much). I also said that delays at this point would be weeks or days, not months.

When we're prepared to post a release date and final pricing, we will. All I will say now is that a July release is the date we are aiming for and we are currently working with the AE team on a release candidate. The manuals are on the boat and depending on when they arrive in our warehouses (which we'll know more about as time goes on) will allow us to know when the release date will be exactly (yes, we don't know for certain yet either).

The only way that we would miss July is if Customs decided for some reason to sit on the manuals for a few weeks. Nothing in the actual game development/release candidate/gold master process looks like it is going to need more time than that.

Oh and for the record, there are no "corporate types" at Matrix, at least in the way people usually intend that particular phrase to be taken as something other than a compliment. We are all wargamers and heavily engaged in the games we publish.

Regards,

- Erik

<grins at Erik's apparent naivete>

Erik, Erik. You've got it all wrong. Give us more credit. We're just . . . . negotiating. Kinda like the Iranians and the North Koreans. We whine enough and you give us something. Now, I shouldn't be giving our secrets away, but here's how it works:

Tomorrow someone designated by the collective will start a thread questioning whether the game really exists. Others that understand the process jump in with similar concerns and rumors of rumors (for the Commonwealth folk: rumours of rumours). Then somebody says, "If we could see the rest of the manual posted, THEN I would believe it isn't vaporware!" And to shut everyone up, Erik posts the rest of the manual. Simple.

Now it doesn't have to work this way. We can do the whole pointless build-up as called for in the script, or we can just cut to the chase and you can post the entire manual. But, of course, you can't give us everything we've asked for, so you'll agree to meet us halfway and post another, say, quarter of the manual. And with the July 4th weekend coming up (that is a worldwide holiday, isn't it?) you'll be a hero posting it beforehand so we'll have an excuse to not go to the in-laws' bbq.

It's inevitable. Don't fight it. Just post it. And don't take us too seriously.

And for the English: you can have us back if you'll agree to take on our national debt. I'm ready to be a member of the Commonwealth; it sounds so . . . friendly. Being the Great Satan is getting old. But only if we can keep football. Real football. You know: American football. And you agree to call the other game soccer.

< Message edited by byron13 -- 6/26/2009 6:15:19 AM >

Post #: 115
RE: 23 June - 6/26/2009 6:46:12 AM   
Flying Tiger

quote:

quote:

That's me!
An outsider view on this: WitP/AE really has the market cornered as far as I can see. The only other alternative for grand strategy is HoI series but I can't stand the realtime/start/stop game model. TBS or nothing! Domnate a niche of a niche in the game market, charge a nice round figure, and make the latest game require the previous engine it was built on. This is how Matrix makes their money. Quality, not quantity. Smarter, not harder.

but....the question still remains..... WILL YOU pay up to $140 bucks for the game?? Even $100 for a package deal? We can all say "yes it is worth it", but you are the guy who needs to stick his hand in his pocket. And 140 bucks.... thats a rather deep pocket!

Post #: 116
RE: 23 June - 6/26/2009 7:22:53 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flying Tiger

quote:

quote:

That's me!

but....the question still remains..... WILL YOU pay up to $140 bucks for the game?? Even $100 for a package deal? We can all say "yes it is worth it", but you are the guy who needs to stick his hand in his pocket. And 140 bucks.... thats a rather deep pocket!

My credit card is ready....just waiting for the announcement.

(in reply to Flying Tiger)
Post #: 117
RE: 23 June - 6/26/2009 7:57:44 AM   
AttuWatcher

Sure, I can fork out the $ but at these prices I'll need to weigh my options thoroughly. $100 package deal would be good. Manuals made in China though...

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 118
RE: 23 June - 6/26/2009 8:06:45 AM   
Przemcio231

quote:

And for the English: you can have us back if you'll agree to take on our national debt. I'm ready to be a member of the Commonwealth; it sounds so . . . friendly. Being the Great Satan is getting old. But only if we can keep football. Real football. You know: American football. And you agree to call the other game soccer.

Well that would be hard You would automaticly be a part of the EU as well Great Satan i like this The one who invented this had to be a retard ... But well what should you expect from Iranians Ohhh about Football sorry but our is reall and i just wounder why do you call it American Football becouse as far as i know players seldom kick their ball... this game is more like a rugby me thinks

Pinky: Hey Brain what are we goeing to do this evening?
Brain: The Usual Pinky we will try to take over the World;)

Post #: 119
RE: 23 June - 6/26/2009 8:11:29 AM   
Sardaukar

It's just rugby with protective gear...

On the other hand, some complaints about Football (soccer) can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvUIbqKyppY&NR=1

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 6/26/2009 8:12:13 AM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Przemcio231)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: 23 June Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI