Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: When?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: When? Page: <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: When? - 7/3/2009 9:27:28 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Petracelli69

Steve

Thanks for your update and really looking forward to it's release. One question could you estimate percentage wise how far you think the AI is from being done, as a non techie be good to have a rough idea.

Cheers

Phil

Actually, no. Estimates are undoubtedly one of my poorest skills.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Petracelli69)
Post #: 1291
RE: When? - 7/3/2009 10:37:50 PM   
michaelbaldur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Steve

Thanks for your update and really looking forward to it's release. One question could you estimate percentage wise how far you think the AI is from being done, as a non techie be good to have a rough idea.

Cheers

Phil

Actually, no. Estimates are undoubtedly one of my poorest skills.

release dates

< Message edited by michaelbaldur -- 7/3/2009 10:39:59 PM >

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1292
RE: When? - 7/3/2009 10:55:31 PM   
tasdevil

quote:

Ignacio has offered to work on a translation of the Players Manual into Spanish. Though it is still early days on this, Matrix Games is going to have Mike (MWIF editor) make copies of the MWIF documentation available to Ignacio prior to product release. A possibility exists that the translation might be done in time for the initial release.

If Ignacio needs helps I can help with the translation into Spanish.

Post #: 1293
RE: When? - 7/3/2009 11:22:43 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: tasdevil

quote:

Ignacio has offered to work on a translation of the Players Manual into Spanish. Though it is still early days on this, Matrix Games is going to have Mike (MWIF editor) make copies of the MWIF documentation available to Ignacio prior to product release. A possibility exists that the translation might be done in time for the initial release.

If Ignacio needs helps I can help with the translation into Spanish.

Thank you for offerring to help. I am not part of that effort so you should email Ignacio directly: joseignaciorojo@gmail.com.

Steve

(in reply to tasdevil)
Post #: 1294
RE: When? - 7/4/2009 5:24:23 PM   
nanorider426

Hi Steve.

Thanks a lot for the update. It's always interesting to follow the progress of your work; I'd wish that every developer would do this.

I'm really, really looking forward to the Appendix containing the file structure and other internal stuff from the game. It sounds like a real treat for a former programmer and techie like me. It's just so cool that you have included it. Thanks!

Like Ignacio I would like to volunteer my services for translating the manual, but I don't know of how much use it will be since I don't speak Spanish. However, as a native Danish speaker I could do a Danish version if Matrix Games think that a Danish translation would be of use. I realize though that Danish is a small language and that many (if not most) Danish players understand English, so I don't know if it's needed at all. But if you need someone to do it then I'm ready to give a go.

Best regards
HP

< Message edited by nanorider426 -- 7/4/2009 5:25:20 PM >

Post #: 1295
RE: When? - 7/4/2009 5:40:20 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: nanorider426

Hi Steve.

Thanks a lot for the update. It's always interesting to follow the progress of your work; I'd wish that every developer would do this.

I'm really, really looking forward to the Appendix containing the file structure and other internal stuff from the game. It sounds like a real treat for a former programmer and techie like me. It's just so cool that you have included it. Thanks!

Like Ignacio I would like to volunteer my services for translating the manual, but I don't know of how much use it will be since I don't speak Spanish. However, as a native Danish speaker I could do a Danish version if Matrix Games think that a Danish translation would be of use. I realize though that Danish is a small language and that many (if not most) Danish players understand English, so I don't know if it's needed at all. But if you need someone to do it then I'm ready to give a go.

Best regards
HP

You should contact Erik Rutins (erikr@matrixgames.com) about this. All foreign languages are foreign to me.

Steve

(in reply to nanorider426)
Post #: 1296
RE: When? - 7/4/2009 6:15:39 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Hi Steve.

Best regards
HP

Here is the table of contents for the Appendices:
========
11.0 Appendices
11.1 Sequence of Play Reference
11.2 Standing Orders List
11.3 Data Files
11.3.1 Map Data Files
11.3.2 Country Data Files
11.3.3 Unit Data Files
11.4 Bitmap Files
11.5 Player Created Files
11.5.1 Screen Layouts (SLY)
11.5.2 Map Views (MVW)
11.5.3 Optional Rule Sets (CSV)
11.5.4 Scrap Lists (SCP)
11.5.5 Saved Setups (SET)
11.5.6 Saved Games (GAM)
11.5.7 Game Record Logs
11.6 MWIF.INI
11.7 Other Files Included with MWIF
11.8 Keyboard and Mouse Commands
11.9 WiF FE Land Combat Tables
==============

And here are a few other snippets. Each of the following have several subsections that contain the nitty-gritty stuff.
==============
11.3.1 Terrain Data Files
There are eight data files that contain all the information for generating the map. Located in the subdirectory Data\Map Data, they are:
• Standard Map ADJ.CSV - Adjacent sea areas.
• Standard Map ALT.CSV - Alternate controls records.
• Standard Map COA.CSV - Coastal data.
• Standard Map HST.CSV - Hexsides data.
• Standard Map NAM.CSV - Labels data.
• Standard Map RLS.CSV - River/lake special graphics hexes.
• Standard Map SEA.CSV - Sea area data.
• Standard Map TER.CSV - Hex terrain data.
-----
11.3.2 Country Data Files
Countries are broken into 4 mutually exclusive groups: governed areas, sub-countries, minor countries, and major powers. These roughly match territories, subareas of countries, minor countries, and the major powers in WIF terms. Sub-countries are used for odds and ends: SS units, Nationalist China, Communist China, Eastern Poland, Bessarabia, and so on.

The associated data files for these 4 groups, which can be found in the subdirectory Data\Map Data are:
• Standard Map CGA.CSV - Governed areas data (e.g., WiF FE territories).
• Standard Map CSu.CSV - Sub-countries data.
• Standard Map CMi.CSV - Minor countries data.
• Standard Map CMa.CSV - Major powers data.
-----
11.3.3 Unit Data Files
There are four data files in the subdirectory Data\Unit Data that contain all the information on the units. They are:
• Standard Units AIR.CSV - air units
• Standard Units LND.CSV - land units
• Standard Units NAV.CSV - naval units
• Standard Units SPC.CSV - special units
• Standard Units LDR.CSV - leader units (not used in MWIF product 1)

Also in this subdirectory are the unit write-ups: MWIF Air.txt, MWIF Land.txt, and MWIF Naval.txt. The unit ID numbers cross reference the unit data file entries with the unit write-ups and the unit bitmaps.

-----
11.4 Bitmap Files

MWIF stores most of the bitmaps it uses in the directory Bitmaps. There you will find all the BMP files for the splash screens that are shown while the program loads, and a few odd bitmaps used by the Main form. As you would expect the subdirectories contain the following:
• Alpine Bitmaps - the alpine hexsides;
• Backgrounds - the background textures for each major power;
• Coastal Bitmaps - 6 packed pages of coastal hex bitmaps, with accompanying TXT files that identify the row and column number for each of the coastal hexes therein;
• Flag Bitmaps - the bitmaps for the flags;
• Icon Bitmaps - the mishmash of bitmaps used for the icons within the hexes and various button glyphs;
• Skins - the Theme Engine MSKN files for each major power;
• Terrain Bitmaps - the terrain and fort bitmaps;
• Units Bitmaps - the medium resolution bitmaps for the air and naval units (separate sets for each country), the NATO symbols for the land units, the unit symbols shown when immobile hex icons are in production (e.g., factories, forts, and pilots); this is also where the 22 packed pages of bitmaps for individual units are located, with their accompanying TXT files that provide the unit number for bitmap image; lastly, this subdirectory has the bitmaps for saved build and oil points and the circles for range and extended range.

The AggregateRiverLake.RVR file is not a bitmap file per se, but a densely packed file structure that identifies where on the map the rivers and lakes are to be drawn. Each river and lake bitmap was encoded into the RVR format (unique to MWIF) and is decoded by MWIF when the program is loaded. Et voila! the river and lake bitmaps appear.

Other bitmaps are stored in the Tutorials subdirectory. Those are each for a specific tutorial page, as is obvious from the filenames. Also in that subdirectory is the bitmap that explains the status indicators.

Steve

Post #: 1297
RE: When? - 7/4/2009 7:00:42 PM   
nanorider426

Mail sent to Erik Rutins.

Edit: Steve: BTW, appr. how many pages will the manual contain when complete? Yeah, I know you said that estimates are not a strength of yours, but you must have some idea. Alternatively, how pages are complete now?

Thanks for the list above. I always like to rummage around in the files of games and see what I can find of fun stuff to tinker with.

Cheers
HP

< Message edited by nanorider426 -- 7/4/2009 7:11:24 PM >

Post #: 1298
RE: When? - 7/4/2009 8:02:08 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Mail sent to Erik Rutins.

Edit: Steve: BTW, appr. how many pages will the manual contain when complete? Yeah, I know you said that estimates are not a strength of yours, but you must have some idea. Alternatively, how pages are complete now?

Thanks for the list above. I always like to rummage around in the files of games and see what I can find of fun stuff to tinker with.

Cheers
HP

I emailed you the Players Manual table of contents and section 9, optional rules, to give you a sense of how much work translating the Players Manual would entail.

Steve

Steve

Post #: 1299
RE: When? - 7/5/2009 11:43:23 AM   
StrictlyRockers

I am not disappointed by the delay.  I would be disappointed if the game were released in an unfinished state. 

Those who are very interested in playing this game might consider putting more effort into helping out in some way by perhaps volunteering, instead of just trolling on the forum about how much it sucks to have to wait.

I believe in Steve.  He's the man.

Post #: 1300
RE: When? - 7/6/2009 5:43:18 AM   
HansHafen

Many people have done just that.

(in reply to StrictlyRockers)
Post #: 1301
RE: When? - 7/6/2009 6:54:07 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansHafen

Many people have done just that.

Yes. I get by with a little help from my friends.

Steve

(in reply to HansHafen)
Post #: 1302
RE: When? - 7/10/2009 4:09:51 AM   
kberkheiser

quote:

I have not installed ThemeEngine July/2007

I've noticed this is a regular theme in your monthly reports.

The computer geek in me didn't think that was probably the latest version anymore. It looks like there have been many releases since then.

http://www.themeengine.com/news.html

Post #: 1303
RE: When? - 7/10/2009 4:18:49 AM   
kberkheiser

I've been reading the monthly reports here for probably two years now and I just have to say thank you. These reports really do keep me interested despite the change in the release schedule.

I will say that I'm still a bit worried the November release date is still a bit optimistic. We really need a strong AI and honestly, most computer strategy gamers are used to multiple difficulty levels for the AI "Sid Meyer's Civilization" for example.

Anyway, this game I expect to be very awesome. I don't think there is anything out there like this in a computer game. Some friends and I have been playing a single superdelux game from 1936-1946 (With DOD III Rules) since around April 2004. We are just entering the summer of 1945. I'm hoping the computer version might help speed up play even in a PBEM situation.

< Message edited by kberkheiser -- 7/10/2009 4:46:21 AM >

Post #: 1304
RE: When? - 7/10/2009 4:56:19 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: kberkheiser

quote:

I have not installed ThemeEngine July/2007

I've noticed this is a regular theme in your monthly reports.

The computer geek in me didn't think that was probably the latest version anymore. It looks like there have been many releases since then.

http://www.themeengine.com/news.html

Yeah, a small running joke. There use to be a companion joke about the random number generator but that task is done now.

I thought I would need the upgrade for Vista, but running MWIF under XP Emulation works fine. There is a 2008 version out that I know of, but I have already paid for the copy of 2007, ... Perhaps there is a 2009 version by now. The thing is, the code is written by a guy from Russia and his documentation is non-existent, so installation and usage is more or less trial and error. It might not be so bad if I could read Cyrillic.

Steve

(in reply to kberkheiser)
Post #: 1305
RE: When? - 7/10/2009 9:29:59 PM   
ypsylon

I know there was somewhere a thread about WiF availability via online shops. Somehow I can't find it so I ask this question here:

Will WiF be available at Impulse (http://www.impulsedriven.com/)?

....Please say YES.

Post #: 1306
RE: When? - 7/11/2009 2:49:55 AM   
Neilster

I'm guessing it won't, but it will be available here.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to ypsylon)
Post #: 1307
RE: When? - 7/11/2009 11:41:24 AM   
MajorDude

The game needs to be compatible with Vista because as time goes by, that's sometimes all you can get on a new computer unless you build it yourself...

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 1308
RE: When? - 7/11/2009 1:04:24 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: MajorDude

The game needs to be compatible with Vista because as time goes by, that's sometimes all you can get on a new computer unless you build it yourself...

I playtest it with Vista. I have no trouble at all to run MWIF when I let Vista run it in XP-emulation mode.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to MajorDude)
Post #: 1309
RE: When? - 7/11/2009 2:08:39 PM   
Gneisenau

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

I playtest it with Vista. I have no trouble at all to run MWIF when I let Vista run it in XP-emulation mode.

I do not yet have Vista/Windows 7, but am upgrading my laptop. I am reading on the internet that the XP emulation mode is only offered in the
Business or Professional versions of Vista/Windows 7. If so, might be a show stopper for me. Home Premium is as far as I wish to go.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1310
RE: When? - 7/11/2009 3:08:59 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gneisenau

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

I do not yet have Vista/Windows 7, but am upgrading my laptop. I am reading on the internet that the XP emulation mode is only offered in the
Business or Professional versions of Vista/Windows 7. If so, might be a show stopper for me. Home Premium is as far as I wish to go.

I got Vista Home Premium and I got XP emulation mode.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Gneisenau)
Post #: 1311
RE: When? - 7/11/2009 3:49:17 PM   
brian brian

I am no longer a detailed techie like I was 25 years ago when I knew BASIC, assembly, FORTRAN, Pascal, C, and finally C++ (kind of miss that last one), but from what I do still understand of the Windows world (I run Vista Business on a Mac for certain GIS applications), and from what I have seen of the wonderful development of this game, I really highly doubt that running MWiF will present any difficulties in either XP, Vista, or the yet-to-be-released Windows 7. It just doesn't seem like MWiF will seriously tax the resources available to it on most any hardware platform for sale these days or at most any point in the 21st century. ? I'm sure it will still work, but there will be some tiny annoying thing about running it on Vista though

now if Steve gets MWiF 2.0 to have air missions fly the actual little planes with full bomb-loads from hex to hex in full HD 3-D like the young gamers would want, I would have to reconsider that.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1312
RE: When? - 7/13/2009 8:44:27 PM   
Petracelli69

Orm

I have vista on my laptop but am not overly technical could you tell me please where to find xp emulation mode.

Thanks

Phil

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 1313
RE: When? - 7/13/2009 8:52:16 PM   
Orm

quote:

Orm

I have vista on my laptop but am not overly technical could you tell me please where to find xp emulation mode.

Thanks

Phil

I right click on the programs short cut icon on the desktop. From the pop-up meny I pick attributes and then choose compability from the attributes menu. You can do the same thing from the start menu.

(in reply to Petracelli69)
Post #: 1314
RE: When? - 7/20/2009 2:28:29 PM   
Kham

I recently found this site after loosing track of computer WIF years ago

I am pleasantly surprised that the project has not been abandoned.

I hope the AI development will not delay final release. Even a bad AI can help you learn the game :)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1315
RE: When? - 7/29/2009 11:02:14 PM   
Edfactor

no no no, bad AI may make people and reviewers tell everyone else not to buy it. I have said before that I like Blizzards philosophy of: "It will be released when its ready to be released".  I'm as anxious as anyone but please don't try to rush them on publication. A soso game now isn't as good as a great game later in the grand scheme of things.

(in reply to Kham)
Post #: 1316
RE: When? - 7/30/2009 7:32:56 AM   
werwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edfactor

no no no, bad AI may make people and reviewers tell everyone else not to buy it. I have said before that I like Blizzards philosophy of: "It will be released when its ready to be released".  I'm as anxious as anyone but please don't try to rush them on publication. A soso game now isn't as good as a great game later in the grand scheme of things.

But this game did not have been released on 27th July 2009?
Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah.............

(in reply to Edfactor)
Post #: 1317
RE: When? - 7/30/2009 8:27:11 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

ORIGINAL: werwolf

quote:

Better a game that works, even if it were for Christmas than respecting the timetable and selling a program that barely runs, full of bugs like Patchdox (sorry, Paradox) and Ageod for example. Finally the game will be ready in the same period of time, the essential difference is that we would have paid the money one year before the game was really ready and be betatesters for this time too.

No doubt I prefer Steve's style, even with unforseen delays.

(in reply to werwolf)
Post #: 1318
RE: When? - 7/30/2009 4:40:29 PM   
MajorDude

quote:

ORIGINAL: werwolf

quote:

If you TOUT that your game has AI opponent ability, then your AI opponent darn well better be ABLE.

That being said, I would, though, like to see this game appear BEFORE Christmas...

(in reply to werwolf)
Post #: 1319
RE: When? - 8/1/2009 4:35:00 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

August 1, 2009 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

I. Project Management
We are looking at the first week of November, 2009 for product release.

Communications
Nothing new from Mike (Players Manual), Jim (sound effects), and Dave (music). All three of these guys have been working on the summer releases of other Matrix Games products but should get back to MWIF in August.

Andy Johnson (Texas) had to stop working on the MWIF fan site because his new job has a “do not compete” clause. We are looking for someone else who might be interested in taking on that responsiblity.

I monitored all the threads in the MWIF World in Flames forum daily and uploaded versions 1.01.04, 1.01.05, 1.01.06, 1.01.07, 2.00.00, and 2.00.01 for the beta testers. Version 2.00.00 was short-lived since I needed to make a single line correction to enable all saved games to be restored (that patch was 2.00.01). Orm continues to add posts as quasi after-action-reports on Barbarossa. Lars completed his on the War in China, and Peter has started one on the European theater of Global War.

I put out a request for additional beta testers, which will remain open until August 3rd. At that time I expect to add ~10 more beta testers.

Patrice continues to help keep the various map and unit data files up-to-date. Alain has been going over them with a fine tooth comb using the file definitions in the Player Manual section 11 (Appendices). Patrice also converted all the existing text from Section 8 (Player Interface) into context sensitive help for each form. In his spare time he has been sending me screen shots of forms for Section 8 of the Players Manual.

Paul and Nils sent me their final report for transforming the finite chit pool for US Entry into an infinite distribution. Without getting into the technical details, they have used both a theoretical statistical analysis and a Monte Carlo simulation to affirm that their proposed changes will better model the way the finite chit pool works in WIF FE. I implemented their recommendations into the program code. We will include their formal report (an MSWord file) as part of the MWIF product, since it describes that part of the simulation in more detail that I want to put into the Players Manual. They have both given us permission to do that.

Rob Jenkins continues to do an enormous number of naval unit writeups every week.

Alain (Caquineur) sent me a partially edited version of the Land Unit writeups. I have put Adam and Christo in contact with him with the hope that they will author some of the missing writeups on land units.

Peter Skoglund continues to make progress on the setup scripts for numerous countries, mostly minor countries, but also France.

Michael sent me revisions to the default scrap lists he had created last winter. Sadly, I haven’t found the time to put them into an upload yet.

No communications with Harry Rowland or Chris Marinacci.

Hardware and Software Development Tools
I have not installed ThemeEngine July/2007.

II. Sequence of Play
Beta Testing
I uploaded six new versions for the beta testers, which met my goal of one a week.

I uploaded version 1.01.04 in the first week of July. It corrected a handful of problems with saved games and saved setups. The latter bugs were a consequence of my changes in the positioning of sea area section boxes. Messing with the data files always runs the risk of generating bugs, which is why I am such a nay-sayer when it comes to inconsequential changes to the data.

Version 1.01.05 fixed some problems with invasions, paradrops, and ground support. All of those phases are 100% correct now - to the best of my knowledge.

Version 1.01.06 corrected various small problems. Its main improvements were in the PBEM forms and parsing LAIO scripts. Neither of those are complete yet, but progress is being made on them both.

Version 1.01.07 fixed all the remaining problems with Declaring War, including the ability for a series of major powers to decide whether they want to align an attacked minor country up to the point that one of them says Yes or they all say No. In the area of game play, I fixed bugs with USSR Claims on Eastern Poland and the Baltic States and US Entry chit draws that occur due to moving land units.

Yesterday I uploaded 2.00.00 for the beta testers and this morning I uploaded 2.00.01 to fix a new bug the previous version had created with restoring saved games. So it goes. Version 2.00.00 contained the capability of NetPlay communication tests which is why I increased the minor version number from 1 to 2. The major version number is still 0 and will remain so until the product is released.

Test Script/Plan
Nothing new.

Game Engine Redesign
Nothing new on rewriting the supply routines.

Units, Map, and Scenarios
Rob continues his weekly updates of the naval unit write ups. Alain edited many of the land unit writeups. He also found a number of small errors in the data files, the only crucial one being that Bergen had been listed as an Objective city.

Optional Rules
Nothing new.

Saved Games
This is stable though I have to be careful when I make changes (e.g., I omitted a pair of parentheses when I inserted a test for version 2.00.00 which meant I needed to quickly release version 2.00.01).

III. Player Interface
I completed the Replacements form revisions, so that is now fully functional. I implemented the special victory conditions for the two short scenarios: Barbarossa and Guadalcanal, and at the same time, fixed a bug in restoring saved games that messed up which major power owned which victory cities. While I was working on this I spiffed up the Victory form.

What is really needed here is a new form that presents who holds which victory cities throughout the game. That would serve as a nice summary page for when the game ends. But I haven’t even added this to my task list, since I do not expect to have time to create it for the game’s initial release. The second new form I would dearly love to add (but I don’t have the time) is for US Entry Actions - listing all of them, which ones have occurred, and whether they caused US Entry chits to be drawn.

I revised the Start New Game form to improve selecting which players control which major power groups. I had previously tried to use a ‘sexy’ new component capability, but it was unreliable and caused a lot of screen flickering. In retrospect, this reinforces my rampant bias to use the simplest tools when writing code. Incorporating “New and Improved” features is rarely a good decision. Also motivating me to make these changes was the need to enable bidding for major power groups over the internet (NetPlay).

I started converting the last old style form, Bidding, to using a JV component for its grid/table. Actually, I already did this as part of the revisions to the Start New Game form, so the task is simply to clone code.

I made the form for the first 3 PBEM Standing Orders fully operational. The fourth SO has data structures and default values, though I haven’t put in the code so the player can modify those values. I’ve also done work on a few more of the SOs, but many remain to be done.

IV. NetPlay
I got the test program to work as a stand alone for communicating over the internet. Basically you can run TestNetPlayCom on separate computers and send messages between them. After I got that working, I integrated it into MWIF proper as a “test communications” capability. TestNetPlayCom will ship as a stand alone program as part of the released MWIF product, so you can test setting up IP Addresses and port numbers without having to fire up the larger MWIF program.

Next up is to establish a little editing form for player names, passwords, IP Addresses, port number, and email addresses. This will let you set up this information from within MWIF. Of course, you can also edit these files offline using a text editor (e.g., NotePad). Then I’ll be ready to put bidding for major power groups in for NetPlay. The same file will be used for PBEM games.

V. PBEM
Besides creating the missing PBEM forms, I need to define more data structures for the Standing Orders. This is going slow but I am making steady progress.

VI. AI Opponent
I am continually adding to the number of data structures for the LAIO parser. As Peter and I work through various setup scripts, we identify new variable types that we hadn’t thought of previously. Each variable type requires it own data structure. This is not surprising to me and I expect the number of data structures to continue to grow over the next month or two. I thought about trying to create a definitive list, but if I did, more than half of them would never be needed. Therefore, I just add data structures as I come across new variable types.

I wrote the code for the fifth step for the parser. There were some serious bugs in the fourth step that took me some time to correct.

I haven’t been able to get enough time to work with Peter on the setup scripts. He keeps sending me stuff but at best I can only give him cursory feedback. After I get the parser done, he should be able to make faster progress and not need my assistance as much (e.g., the parser will point out syntax problems and the like).

VII. Documentation
I moved all the forms for PBEM and NetPlay out of Section 8 (Player Interface) and into Section 6 (Modes of Play). There are 22 Standing Orders, most of which have their own personal form. Altogether there are 21 forms exclusively for PBEM. 2 of them are completely done and another 7 are in various stages of development. Once the code is written for the PBEM forms, doing the documentation will take very little time.

As a result of moving so many forms into Section 6, Section 8, Player Interface, is much closer to being finished. Mostly screen shots are missing (34) but there are 14 sections for which I need to write a few lines of text. 9 of the forms are not quite ready to have their picture taken yet - I need to tweak the code a bit.

I put all the sections of the Players Manual together for the beta testers as a PDF. It is only a draft and many of the screen shots are missing (because I pulled them out of most sections for the editor Mike, who likes his text without embedded figures). Nonetheless the PDF came in at 354 pages (8.5 by 11 with narrow margins and 11 point font).

I believe very little progress has been made on Ignacio’s offer to do the translation into Spanish. Mike’s participation is essential and Matrix has had him working on summer releases the entire month of July.

VIII. Learning Aids (tutorials, training video, embedded help text)
Patrice took the text descriptions for forms from the Players Manual Section 8 and converted them for inclusion in the context sensitive help file. These look really great. If at any time during the game you have a question about a form, clicking on the form’s Help button brings up the text from the Players Manual on that form. Included is relevant text from Rules as Coded, a description of each component in the form, and how to use the form to make your decision. I am very happy with how this has turned out.

I spent a bunch of time in the first half of July on the Training Video. I have completed 9 of the 11 chapters:
Chapter 1 Introduction (4 minutes :10 seconds)
Chapter 2 Map Basics (20:27)
Chapter 3 Unit Basics (28:27)
Chapter 4 Sequence of Play (33:56)
Chapter 5 Turns, Impulses, Weather, & Supply (25:28)
Chapter 6 Main Form, Screen Layouts, & Map Views (46:31)
Chapter 7 Starting a New Game & Setting Up Units (55:40)
Chapter 8 Air Movement & Combat (23:43)
Chapter 9 Land Movement & Combat (43:46)
Chapter 10 Naval Movement & Combat (TBD)
Chapter 11 Production & Politics (TBD)

If you add up the time, you will get 4 hours and 42 minutes, with 2 chapters yet to go. Wow, is that way over what I estimated! I don’t think they can be trimmed very much. As it is, I see dozens of places where I barely skimmed the surface. There are entire phases of the game that never get so much as a mention. Furthermore, of the optional rules, I probably only lightly covered 4 or 5 of the 80 in the game.

My goal for the Training Video is for new players to learn the game without having to read the rules first. If we decide to use these as a Marketing tool, then it will likely be the last 4 chapters. They presuppose that the viewer has seen the previous 7, but not very much. Moving the units and engaging in combat is usually the exciting stuff from the beginner’s point of view. Since the last chapter is on building new units and declaring war, that is likely to be of interest to the neophyte too.

IX. Glitz (historical video, sound effects, music, historical unit write-ups)
I have Robert on the naval unit writeups with Alain/Adam/Christo working on the same for land units. I am waiting on the sound effects from Jim and the music from Dave. There is no real hurry on the last two, though I would like to have them in hand before mid-August.

X. Marketing
Other than Andy having to drop out of working on the fan site, nothing new here.

Remaining Tasks

I Tasks requiring a small number of hours

1. Historical video
Integrate these into the program (randomizing when they are shown).

2. Sound effects
Awaiting Jim’s complete set of sound effects, after which I will integrate them into the program.

3. Music
Awaiting Dave’s complete set of music, after which I will integrate them into the program.

4. Unit writeups
Rob continues to generate more naval unit writeups and Alain is editing the land unit writeups. I simply replace the old files with the new when they send me updates.

5. Players Manual
9 of 11 sections are done. I am unsure how much of these Mike has edited. Of the 2 remaining, Section 6, Modes of Play is 90% done and Section 8, Player Interface, is 95% done.

6. Context sensitive help
Once Sections 6 and 8 of the Players Manual are done, Patrice will transfer each form’s description into a TXT file for display by MWIF as context sensitive help. He completed about 70% of that task this past month.

7. Auxiliary files
These are starter sets for new players so they can jump right into playing the game without having to make a lot of preparatory decisions. The beta testers provide these and I have accumulated a bunch. I just need to round out my collection.

8. Tutorials and training video
The Training Video is 80% done. I stopped working on this in the middle of July but will probably finish it up in the first half of August. Then I will take that work and use it to create the Interactive tutorials.

9. Player Interface
With the exception of the Standing Order forms for PBEM, I have finished the forms (~110). Over the past month I put some time and effort into cleaning up the bugs reported related to the player interface. I made enough progress for me to move this task for requiring a medium number of hours to requiring a small number of hours.

II Tasks requiring a medium number of hours

10. Optional Rules
For the optional rules that I want to finish, I need to fix bugs and bring them up-to-date with rules changes since circa 2003.

11. PBEM
I’ve done a lot of work on this, but more is needed. The technical task of sending and receiving emails from within the program hasn’t been coded. Work on the standalone program (running on a third party computer) to generate random numbers hasn’t begun. The large task here concerns the Standing Orders: defining and instantiating internal variables, then displaying them in the forms so players can review and revise them.

III Tasks requiring a large number of hours

12. Sequence of Play
There are a slew of bugs related to the sequence of play. Because of the high level of redundancy in bug reports (i.e., multiple reports of the same bug), I estimate less than an hour per item reported.

13. NetPlay
There isn’t a lot to do directly related to NetPlay, but the underlying performance of the program in generating Game Record Log Entries has to be perfect. That’s because the GRLs are sent to each computer in a networked game to keep them up-to-date with the decisions of all players. I have over 530 types of GRLs defined, with their supporting code for encoding them prior to transmission and decoding them upon receipt. Regrettably, I haven’t gone through them rigorously to make sure each one executes at the proper point in the sequence of play. Additionally, I need to instantiate, with actual data, the form used to monitor internet communications while a game is in progress. But the vast majority of this task is getting the GRLs perfect.

14. AI Opponent
Test scripts await testing, which requires me to finish writing the parser. I have the vast majority of the AIO decision making written out in plain text. Taking that plain text and rendering it into rules will require a lot of time. Which leaves the task of calibrating the rules’ performance so the AIO plays well.

Steve

(in reply to MajorDude)
Post #: 1320
Page:   <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: When? Page: <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI