Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Im New...HELP

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> Im New...HELP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Im New...HELP - 7/4/2009 7:53:09 PM   
sean1981

Hello one and all, now let me say a few things. Since my teens i have been keen to read uo and generally understand history in particular WW2 history. Since my last trip to Normandy a few weeks ago i have decided i ned a game i can get into and appreciate in relation to this hobby. So i started surfing the net which has brought me to

Close Combat Wacht im Rheine.I now own this and in a couple of days (when i get home and get it set up) will be embarking on my first campaign.

So i stumbled across this thread and have to ask

Can someone give me some tips before i get started so i dont get in over my head. You guys seem pretty clued up from what i have read (fanatical in parts which i love) so has anyone got some top tips on the game for me before i start. I will be starting as Allies if that makes any difference.

Game length?

Difficulty?

Morale on/off?

Anything you guys recommend would be welcome, i dont mind losing in the first instance just want it to be challenging and really get into it.I await your responses?

Cheers, Sean
Post #: 1
RE: Im New...HELP - 7/4/2009 7:55:03 PM   
sean1981

again thanks

(in reply to sean1981)
Post #: 2
RE: Im New...HELP - 7/4/2009 9:04:17 PM   
Andrew Williams

Play Lne  V Line

30 min timer so you're not under too much pressure.

Don't do anything in a hurry.

Make sure all teams acan support each oither and stay within command radius.

be patient and only move your teams like you would in real life... or they will die.

(in reply to sean1981)
Post #: 3
RE: Im New...HELP - 7/5/2009 1:08:27 PM   
sean1981

cheers andrew

u guys seem so adept at this game so il definatley take on board what u say and post my results..i played the invasion normandy demo a few times, bit unsure about all this day and turn stuff, but im guessing that will become much clearer when i am playing

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 4
RE: Im New...HELP - 7/5/2009 10:57:20 PM   
panzerlehr62

Hello Sean,

Only tip I can give you is expect to sleep a lot LESS!. The game may become clearer but the world around you will become a lot more foggy!

Have fun!

Gz...

(in reply to sean1981)
Post #: 5
RE: Im New...HELP - 7/6/2009 3:01:18 PM   
sean1981

haha cheers panzer

its booting up for the first time as we speak, my girlfriend goes away for 3 weeks in 2 days so i dont expect to sleep much. i love watching the after battle stuff u all post, hopefully that will be me in a few months

(in reply to panzerlehr62)
Post #: 6
RE: Im New...HELP - 7/6/2009 3:54:19 PM   
sean1981

just played my first battle

~AND I WON

went allies and left settings as were...lost my wolverine tank bit routed the germans who seemed to storm straight thru the middle and i hit them with artillery mortars and bazookas, i must admit i found it tricky where to position the troops to begin with, so just tried to focus around areas and exits i thought they would attack, luckily they did

so much to learn, probably lost couple guys uneccessarily,

how do u guys know where to put ur men, does it just come with experience. and i take it campaign (which i havent played yet is the one where u get turns and loadsa different battles bit by bit?

Post #: 7
RE: Im New...HELP - 7/6/2009 4:25:07 PM   
panzerlehr62

Thats great you are enjoying it so far.

Deployment depends on a lot of things, but mainly on whether you are attacking or defending on any given map. Sometimes even that gets cloudy, as both you and your oppenent may have conflicting ideas as to who that is...hahaha..then you have a real fun game on your hands (talking strictly GC here).

You will learn after awhile what works for you and what doesnt. I try to attack in mass in a specific area leaving behind just enuff to protect the other areas on the map I have. Its also a good idea to limit the amount of map you have to protect, so choose your attacking spots carefully. Less map you have to defend the more men you have to concentrate your attack on. Just remember, your oppenent (H2H) will be aware of that also, so sometimes you got to mix it up a bit to keep them off balance (they will do they same, trust me!).

Also keep in mind, that he who defends everythg, defends nothing! You are at times going to have quess in this game when you are on defense as to were your oppenent is going to attack you. Because he too will try and force a break threw with overwhelming forces.

Have fun,
Gz...

(in reply to sean1981)
Post #: 8
RE: Im New...HELP - 7/6/2009 6:05:55 PM   
sean1981

cheers panzer

i was defending bastogne in my first battle and the did attack on mass but luckily for me straight thru the misddle of the town that i had zeroed all my forces around..in hindsight if they flanked me id of been in real bother haha

will be going onto the campaign after few more trys on battles..also got to read the manual as theres many things im not aware of

cant wait to get into a campaign tho, try take a piece of the map bit by bit

Post #: 9
RE: Im New...HELP - 7/9/2009 4:11:05 PM   
sean1981

right

played my first mini campaign and bit confused..i know its turn based but i seemed to be fight ing battle after battle in one day without the fays going by.is that normal??

(in reply to sean1981)
Post #: 10
RE: Im New...HELP - 7/9/2009 6:35:02 PM   
panzerlehr62

Hello,

Not sure what Campaign you are playing, but in any case its probably because you have multiple battle groups in combat. Since you play them in sequence and there are 2 turns per day it may just seem like a long time to you before the actual day finishes. Eventually the day will end either in the game or the actual one we live in, which ever comes first!....

Hang in there!...

Gz

(in reply to sean1981)
Post #: 11
RE: Im New...HELP - 7/17/2009 12:19:04 AM   
Bandito

quote:

ORIGINAL: sean1981

right

played my first mini campaign and bit confused..i know its turn based but i seemed to be fight ing battle after battle in one day without the fays going by.is that normal??

I had a stumbling block when I first started that got me clicking on a specific map and then playing out a battle. With that, I wasn't sure if I was actually progressing with the campaign or not. I've had better luck just looking at the icons on the campaign map for the unresolved combat icon and clicking on Next Battle on the bottom (something along those lines).

(in reply to sean1981)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> Im New...HELP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI