Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game enhancement?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Game enhancement? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game enhancement? - 7/17/2009 4:12:50 PM   
Jimmer

Here's a simple idea for enhancing the game. If this is easy to code in, it would help people who play multiple games:

Include a parameter in the main EXE file that allows you to specify a saved game.

If this were done, people could create separate shortcuts for the games they are in. Then, they wouldn't have to go through the motions of finding the saved file(s), etc, every time they bring the game up.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
Post #: 1
RE: Game enhancement? - 7/17/2009 5:12:12 PM   
obsidiandrag

Seeing the title of this thread I have to log the most recent enhancement I would like to see.. 

Multiple selection of units (besides the stack move) - Naval and land (I know there are ALOT of issues with this on land.

Example -
I have a stack of French fleets in an area ( sortof surrounded by english ) and want to move them in seperate directions to cover 2 different areas..

I can either stack move ALL to one area (and not split)
OR
Risk the interception of each individual fleet (multiple chances) as I move each one to the area seperately so I can stack move the rest to the second...

Something along the lines of holding the control key and selecting each one for the move or hitting stack and then selecting ones to stay put...

Just a thought.

OD

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 2
RE: Game enhancement? - 7/17/2009 9:25:11 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Jimmer:

I don't think that would be too difficult. The creation of a shortcut to the EXE with a game name param would do it.

OD:

I have looked at the stack selection stuff a bit and I agree that it is a little more absolute than I want so maybe I can look at some of this stuff after 1.07.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to obsidiandrag)
Post #: 3
RE: Game enhancement? - 7/18/2009 6:41:42 AM   
NeverMan

Here's my suggestion for enhancing the game:

1. FIX THE BUGS!!!
2. FIx the file management problems.

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 4
RE: Game enhancement? - 7/18/2009 5:45:43 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Neverman:

I am speaking to this thread's subject matter "Game enhancement". This does NOT mean nor did I mean to imply that I am not working on bug fixes???
BTW: "File management" can be a VERY borad term??? What do you mean? Can you elaborate?

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 5
RE: Game enhancement? - 7/18/2009 6:33:56 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Neverman:

I am speaking to this thread's subject matter "Game enhancement". This does NOT mean nor did I mean to imply that I am not working on bug fixes???
BTW: "File management" can be a VERY borad term??? What do you mean? Can you elaborate?

Yes, I can. In our Grapeshot game it seems as though the host is sending out backups every other day... it's getting quite silly, IMO. There has got to be a better way of doing things, it seems like any little thing will get you out of sync, etc. It's getting to be a real pain.

ALSO, would the game files be too large if you were to accumulate turns from your last turn into each file? What I mean to say is this: It's very annoying to have to download a ton of files (which happens, ESPECIALLY if you skip a turn or two in a row, aka reinf and naval)... why can't we just download the last players files??

In both my groups we are zipping all the files anyways and the current file sizes aren't bigger than 100k (which is a very small file size). Why not just make it so I only have to download (or get via email, whatever) the last player's turn's file??

It just seems like this would cut down on some of the file management.

BTW: I was also speaking to the thread's title, I DO consider BUG FIXES to be a game ENHANCEMENT, don't you?? I know that it enhances my experience playing the game when I have less bugs to deal with and at this point in the development of this game (is it going on a decade yet??) anything you do to this game should be considered an enhancement, all the bugs should have been worked out quite awhile ago.

< Message edited by NeverMan -- 7/18/2009 6:34:43 PM >

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 6
RE: Game enhancement? - 7/19/2009 1:00:08 PM   
fw1206

I think, a good game enhancement will be, what we are playing in our board game with diplomatic manipulating on minors.
Only the best diplomatic attempt on a minor will count. In the computergame it is possible that the state of a minor will change up to 7 times in one diplomatic phase.
Lets say all 7 are going to manipulate a neutral Naples. Sequence will be Fr, Gb, Pr, Au, Ru, Tu, Sp.
Every attempt is working. First Naples will be Fr influenced, second Gb brings it back to neutral, third it will be Pr influenced, fourth Au brings it back to neutral, fifth it will be Ru influenced, sixth Tu brings it back to neutral and at the end of this phase is's Sp influenced.
In our boardgame only the best attempt will count, but the money you gave to attemp so is lost for everybody. After this only one attempt against this minor, it will resist against the best and not against all possible 7 attemps

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 7
RE: Game enhancement? - 7/19/2009 1:51:38 PM   
Dancing Bear

I like the stack idea and the diplomacy suggestion. There are others I like to see (i.e. the arrows to track corps/fleet movvement and a symbol to clik on for battle results), and of course, some sim phases.

(in reply to fw1206)
Post #: 8
RE: Game enhancement? - 7/20/2009 1:12:54 PM   
Marshall Ellis

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Neverman:

Yes, I can. In our Grapeshot game it seems as though the host is sending out backups every other day... it's getting quite silly, IMO. There has got to be a better way of doing things, it seems like any little thing will get you out of sync, etc. It's getting to be a real pain.

ALSO, would the game files be too large if you were to accumulate turns from your last turn into each file? What I mean to say is this: It's very annoying to have to download a ton of files (which happens, ESPECIALLY if you skip a turn or two in a row, aka reinf and naval)... why can't we just download the last players files??

In both my groups we are zipping all the files anyways and the current file sizes aren't bigger than 100k (which is a very small file size). Why not just make it so I only have to download (or get via email, whatever) the last player's turn's file??

It just seems like this would cut down on some of the file management.

BTW: I was also speaking to the thread's title, I DO consider BUG FIXES to be a game ENHANCEMENT, don't you?? I know that it enhances my experience playing the game when I have less bugs to deal with and at this point in the development of this game (is it going on a decade yet??) anything you do to this game should be considered an enhancement, all the bugs should have been worked out quite awhile ago.

OK, I see what you're saying. Those are things that I can look at. I just needed some more info to understand what you're talking about. The cumulative effect would probably make th files a little large (they're already large when flat).

BTW: No I don't consider bug fixes an enhancement. In developer speak, enhancements are things that enhance (improve) an already properly working feature. Fixes actually correct a feature that was NOT working properly. Hope this helps!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Game enhancement? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI