Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Fine Tuned mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Mods >> RE: The Fine Tuned mod Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/29/2009 2:38:50 AM   
Foraven

It's beyond my skills right now to make such a tool, but i know there are skilled coders on other game forums that could do it. I guess i should start asking...

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 121
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/29/2009 1:39:16 PM   
Anthropoid

Some kinda auto-install _would_ be neat. However, I think most guys who have enough interest at this point to install the mod can probably handle a bit of manual work to get it working.

The only thing I'd suggest is that you add something to the beginning of the thread and the Readme, maybe along these lines:

As of 29 June 2009 at least one player (Anthropoid) reports 'Fine-Tuned-Mod'  (FTM) working just fine with the 1.08 patch no problems.

To install FTM: 1) Go to your:  Matrix\Hired Guns directory and copy the folder called "basis" all of the new files and the changed files for the mod go in this folder to make the mod run. NOTE: YOU CANNOT SIMPLY REPLACE THE EXISTING "basis" folder with the one in the FTM download (DL). You must manually paste-in/over-write all files in the FTM DL copy into the "basis" folder inside the game directory.
2) Select the original "basis" folder and copy (Ctrl-C) the original "basis" folder, this may take several minutes
3) Paste a copy of the original "basis" folder (Ctrl-V) into the Matrix\Hired Guns directory. This should automatically be named "Copy of basis." You have now backed up the original "basis" folder, and you can proceed with moving all the files from the FTM "Basis" version into the original "basis." Note: the folder is named "Basis" with a Capital first letter in the DLed folders.
4) Now comes the somewhat tedious part, but it shouldn't take more than about 10 min, however, you will need to concentrate cause you could screwup and then have to start over!  Open two windows adjacent to each other, one with original "basis" folder on the left of your screen, one with the DLed "Basis" copy on your right. You'll notice the same sub-directories in both.
5) Start at the bottom or top of the list of folders inside "basis/Basis" and navigate down to the lowest level of one of the sub-directories in both folders.
6) Start transferring the copies from the DLed "Basis" folder for the FTM mod over to the original "basis" copy on the left-side of your screen.
7) In some cases, the files you move from "Basis" to "basis" will be new, in other cases they are altered copies, and in this latter instance the machine will ask you if you want to overwrite. Say "Yes to All."
8) Once you have transferred all the files in any given lowest (least inclusive) sub-directory of Basis to basis, move up one level and repeat the process. It is a good idea to work in some systematic way, e.g., always transferring the sub-directories at the bottom of the list first and working your way up (or starting at top and working down). If you miss any transfers or move something into the wrong place, it could cause the mod to not work and then you'll have to start all over . . .
9) Repeat the process until all the sub-directories in "Basis" are empty because they have been transferred to "basis" if not overwritten over the original versions in "basis." You might want to leave the empty "Basis" folder as is when done as a record that you transferred everything successfully.
10) The mod should now run!

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 122
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/8/2009 12:09:03 AM   
Foraven

Alright, i'm now installed in my new home, i will start modding again over the next few days. I have new hats and i'm fiddling around to add new body armor. I may throw a few guns along. I just need some time, still a few box to unpack and my jobs keep calling...

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 123
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/8/2009 1:37:59 PM   
Anthropoid

I would like to get involved in making maps for this game if there is a map editor, and it is not too painful to use.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 124
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/8/2009 7:37:07 PM   
GODSPEED7

I have been playing this mod too as well. I'm not really far out in the game, actually just completed the DAM, and I've had the same issue. I actually had a Militia or two without a gun. And lots didn't even move when shot, they would jsut stand there and not do anything about it. And many would try to charge accross the dam with a knife. hehe.. My M-62s made short work of it..
I also noticed the run-around-kneeling-turning-turning-kneeling as well. I'm not complaining about your mod though, I appreciate the work that is being put in it. I'm just giving you my heads-up.

GODSPEEDseven

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 125
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/8/2009 7:50:02 PM   
Anthropoid

In my experience, the problems with the AI soldiers not behaving aggressively is not consistent across all individuals and particular not acrosss 'ranks' of soldiers. Militia act more incompetent than soldiers, who act more incompetent than Guardsmen, etc. In general, I think it is operating okay. Even some militia will still sneak up on you and kill you if you let them.

(in reply to GODSPEED7)
Post #: 126
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/8/2009 9:17:30 PM   
GODSPEED7

Hey, I was just playing a bit and have noticed a little tiny bug.. *I apologize if this has been mentioned already* -> When loading 30 rounds into an AKM it converts the 30-round mag into a 40-round mag, although the description does say 30 rounds. I'm guessing that it may just be a typo in the xml or something.
Anyways, just thought I'd let you know, maybe a file needs the rounds adjusted or something. Thanks!

< Message edited by GODSPEED7 -- 7/8/2009 9:51:09 PM >

GODSPEEDseven

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 127
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/9/2009 12:20:31 PM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

I would like to get involved in making maps for this game if there is a map editor, and it is not too painful to use.

Unfortunately, there is no map editor (no one made any yet). On other hand, there might be a way to mess with the maps, there are some files there in plain text that can be edited.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 128
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/9/2009 12:27:40 PM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: GODSPEED7

I have been playing this mod too as well. I'm not really far out in the game, actually just completed the DAM, and I've had the same issue. I actually had a Militia or two without a gun. And lots didn't even move when shot, they would jsut stand there and not do anything about it. And many would try to charge accross the dam with a knife. hehe.. My M-62s made short work of it..
I also noticed the run-around-kneeling-turning-turning-kneeling as well. I'm not complaining about your mod though, I appreciate the work that is being put in it. I'm just giving you my heads-up.

I haven't figured out why some militias spawn without weapons. It could help me if you could tell me what they DID have in their inventory. It's quite possible i made some typo in the things file and either the gun name is wrong or the ammos for it don't exist. But without knowing what to look for, it may take a long while to check all the entries in the things file...

I plan on revisiting the AI, i'm sure some mistakes are still there and that some process can be improved. The running around with a knife is a known issue, just did not have time to fix it yet.

(in reply to GODSPEED7)
Post #: 129
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/9/2009 12:42:22 PM   
GODSPEED7

Well, the guy i remember that just stood as I shot him turn after turn, if I remember correctly (unfortunately I'm past that part of the game), had 5.45 ammo.. I think.. I know this doesn't help out much, but I'll make sure to make any notes of this bug and the ammo contained in the guys inventory.

GODSPEEDseven

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 130
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/9/2009 2:23:13 PM   
Foraven

quote:

Well, the guy i remember that just stood as I shot him turn after turn, if I remember correctly (unfortunately I'm past that part of the game), had 5.45 ammo.. I think.. I know this doesn't help out much, but I'll make sure to make any notes of this bug and the ammo contained in the guys inventory.

Thanks anyway, this give me some hint to what to look for. Also, when you find an inventory bug, note also wich faction the dude/gal belong to, that way i will know wich faction inventory to check. I know though that the bug occur with the Army, just haven't found what's wrong with it, everything seem fine...

(in reply to GODSPEED7)
Post #: 131
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/10/2009 4:18:56 PM   
GODSPEED7

He was a militia, the ones that show up as either 'weak' or 'healthy', but I know it was a militia.

GODSPEEDseven

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 132
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/11/2009 8:33:38 AM   
GODSPEED7

I think I've read a few things about the enemy not fighting very much anymore.. well unfortunately I would have to second that. The enemy pretty much does nothing. Unless they have you in plain sight, they usually pace back and forth. Only a few of the enemies seem to come after you. On one map I've just capture, I think it's called Fortress or something.. they have some MG's beind sandbags.. more than once they could have used them.. but they never do. Do enemies have a certain morale failure issue? as if they are getting killed of one by one pretty quickly, will they seek to hide or run away? Because EVERY time I've had to defend, 2-3 out of 5 militia/soldiers just leave the sector without never having fired a shot!

Anyways, this mod has great potential though! Most mods take lots of work to fix bugs.. don't give up!

GODSPEEDseven

(in reply to GODSPEED7)
Post #: 133
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/11/2009 12:03:16 PM   
Foraven

quote:

I think I've read a few things about the enemy not fighting very much anymore.. well unfortunately I would have to second that. The enemy pretty much does nothing. Unless they have you in plain sight, they usually pace back and forth. Only a few of the enemies seem to come after you. On one map I've just capture, I think it's called Fortress or something.. they have some MG's beind sandbags.. more than once they could have used them.. but they never do. Do enemies have a certain morale failure issue? as if they are getting killed of one by one pretty quickly, will they seek to hide or run away? Because EVERY time I've had to defend, 2-3 out of 5 militia/soldiers just leave the sector without never having fired a shot!

Anyways, this mod has great potential though! Most mods take lots of work to fix bugs.. don't give up!

One thing i have to ask : what difficulty level did you use? On lower difficulty, enemies will have morale issues once a few buddies are down. On higher difficulty level they rarely retreat. Also i did attempt to tweak morale variables in "table_values.lua", maybe i messed something up and made the AI a bit more coward than it should. On other hand, don't expect militias to be rambos, higher level enemies should provide more challenge and keep fighting longer. I did balance my mod toward the middle difficulty level.

< Message edited by Foraven -- 7/11/2009 12:04:01 PM >

(in reply to GODSPEED7)
Post #: 134
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/11/2009 12:28:38 PM   
Foraven

Definitely i did screw up something with the AI. It no longer seek enemies like it used to. I just ran a test and once the leader is dead the rest does nothing but wait for an enemy to show up... Grrr, fix one thing and break 2 more. 

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 135
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/11/2009 1:35:46 PM   
Foraven

Here a small fix for the AI. This should get rid of the tendency of the AI to switch to a melee weapon for no reason (seem i had removed some lines by accident). I also did some file cleaning, that may fix some other problems. Of course it's just a preliminary fix, i'm still working on this and should have something soon enough. I'm also working on getting the next version up, should be done during the next few days.

Note : theses are the AI files i fixed, just copy them over the ones in the basis/scripts/AI directory.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Foraven -- 7/11/2009 1:36:37 PM >

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 136
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/11/2009 11:58:30 PM   
GODSPEED7

Hey, thanks alot eh. I'll be testing this out in the following days. I'll let you know what happens.

GODSPEEDseven

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 137
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/15/2009 5:20:26 AM   
Foraven

Here another test AI. I did some extra coding to the squad behavior so the AI is a bit wiser about it's targets (in stock it used the leader target selection, in this test the AI will try to pick the most appropriate from all the targets the squad can see (ie the one closest to one of it's member)). It's still a test though, it's still trying to fix the AI's decision making, still does stupid things from time to time despite my efforts. Anyway, just past it over the ones in the basis/scripts/AI directory.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to GODSPEED7)
Post #: 138
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/16/2009 1:04:41 AM   
Foraven

I made some progress today with the AI. I figured out how to use the AI's memories and i believe i can solve once and for all the AI's tendency of making useless moves like going back and forth or strafing several times in a row. I'm still unable to make the AI know when it is under cover though, but the changes i made actually improved the AI a bit.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 139
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/16/2009 3:19:46 AM   
Anthropoid

Will install this stuff in the near future and try it out! Got hooked on some flight sim games

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 140
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/16/2009 5:13:42 AM   
Foraven

Next version is almost done. This one will include several fixes, the new hats, improved/fixed AI. Did not have time to make the new armor yet, but i will work on this in the next few days. I'm just making sure no files are missing before uploading it.

Edit : Oh well, still have a few descriptions missing. I'm going to sleep so this will be done tomorrow.

< Message edited by Foraven -- 7/16/2009 5:18:36 AM >

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 141
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/16/2009 1:12:00 PM   
Anthropoid

Kewl.

Question, last I played was a week or more ago. I had captured everything but Army Based and Palace (was in the process of capturing South Village). About how far till victory would I have been at that stage? I sorta binged out on the game I guess, cause I'm not eager to get back and finish that match, though I do want to.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 142
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/16/2009 3:05:08 PM   
Foraven

quote:

Kewl.

Question, last I played was a week or more ago. I had captured everything but Army Based and Palace (was in the process of capturing South Village). About how far till victory would I have been at that stage? I sorta binged out on the game I guess, cause I'm not eager to get back and finish that match, though I do want to.

Most likely, very close to the end. I haven't been that far in the game yet so i can't say.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 143
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/16/2009 3:43:45 PM   
Foraven

New version up. Check the first post. 

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 144
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/16/2009 3:46:39 PM   
Anthropoid

Hey Foraven, do you think if I update to this new version or your mod, will it break my existing game? I guess the cautious perspective is to assume it will.

Thus, I think I'll try to finish my existing game before I install

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 145
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/16/2009 11:08:13 PM   
Foraven

quote:

Hey Foraven, do you think if I update to this new version or your mod, will it break my existing game? I guess the cautious perspective is to assume it will.

Thus, I think I'll try to finish my existing game before I install

I don't think it will break it, i did not make any serious changes in the data files since v1.5. The only bad effect would be that the new stuff may not show up in the shop, the rest should be fine. There are several fixes you will miss if you don't upgrade, like the improved AI...

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 146
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/18/2009 11:57:25 AM   
Foraven

Argn. Something happened to my grenades. They should have been in since v1.5, but they are not. Now i have to redo the grenades.xml, seem i lost the original file. Meanwhile you may notice very few grenades are used by the AI, it's because the grenades i loaded them with are non existant in my mod releases. Grrr, i will try to fix this ASAP... May take a while, grenades informations aren't as easy to find as with guns.

Edit : I will try to have the fix up today. This should not affect save games at all, enemies will spawn with the new grenades just fine. I found interesting sites about grenades and may include a few new ones.

< Message edited by Foraven -- 7/18/2009 12:47:57 PM >

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 147
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/21/2009 12:55:18 AM   
Foraven

I have done some progress on my fix for the grenades, but i'm not done redoing the file. I had done a lot of work fine tuning and balancing them and now i have to do it again from scratch. On the bright side, i added 4 grenades to the lot. I also bought 2 books about weapons from Amazone, this should make implementing new weapons easier since i will have the infos on hand and won't have to search it on the net(still waiting for delivery though). Anyway, expect an update in the next few days.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 148
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/21/2009 1:46:41 AM   
Anthropoid

Cool! Keep us posted. I will definitely play one when you get it all setup the way you want!

The one thing I'd suggest is that you see if you can make the AI: (i) sneak up on players a bit more; (ii) leave enough movement points after moving/shooting to go down to prone position a bit more. As it is they often stay full standig or else just kneel quite a bit. If they were to go prone maybe 30 to 50% more frequently, that right there could make the AI a lot more challenging.

Something like: if I or one of my buds can see an enemy, standup and shoot, but leave 2 mps to lay down again. If no one can see, but I think there are enmies nearby sneak that way, then drop to prone.

If no enemies around recently, run around, and maybe go to kneeling.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 149
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 7/22/2009 3:40:01 AM   
Foraven

quote:

Cool! Keep us posted. I will definitely play one when you get it all setup the way you want!

Bah, i'm hard to please :P.

quote:

The one thing I'd suggest is that you see if you can make the AI: (i) sneak up on players a bit more; (ii) leave enough movement points after moving/shooting to go down to prone position a bit more. As it is they often stay full standig or else just kneel quite a bit. If they were to go prone maybe 30 to 50% more frequently, that right there could make the AI a lot more challenging.

Something like: if I or one of my buds can see an enemy, standup and shoot, but leave 2 mps to lay down again. If no one can see, but I think there are enmies nearby sneak that way, then drop to prone.

If no enemies around recently, run around, and maybe go to kneeling.

One of my books i ordered is about military tactics, i guess i could get a few things in once i read it. The problem is turn it into code, the AI doesn't know when it's under cover or not, just if it can be seen, let alone plot a course to stay hidden. I made it use crouch a lot more to make them harder to spot at range (and less noisy when they move), but it's imperfect. I believe i can code something to make the AI figure if it's under cover, but that may take a while. After that coding better tactics may become easier.

But for now i try to finish my grenades. It's a bit hard to do since specs about them are few and far between, a lot harder to get than for guns. I try to make grenade variety meaningful instead of lots of nearly identical ones. Fortunately they do have some differences in real life so i may be able to compose something interesting.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Mods >> RE: The Fine Tuned mod Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI