Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Comprehensive Wishlist

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Comprehensive Wishlist Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/29/2009 7:26:43 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

You are confusing relief with altitude. The tiles in TOAW are only modeling relief (how "wrinkled" the terrain is). Terrain can be low in altitude and high in relief or vice-versa. There is no basis to assume that an open hex is lower or higher in altitude than any other open hex, or a hill or mountain hex, etc. There is one exception: The peak hex. That's the only feature in TOAW that models altitude in any fashion.

There's also escarpment. That models the height of one hex relative to the next one.

For that reason, I use escarpment a lot. Most of the defensive virtues of a 500' hill disappear if the attack is coming down the adjoining 3000' mountain.

Indeed, the game in general could do with a careful study of the more common types of terrain and their effect. Cover isn't necessarily good; it can allow the enemy to penetrate your position unseen. The same can be said for hills. Finally, there's quite a difference between 'open' terrain ala Western Europe and open terrain ala various steppes and deserts: unentrenched infantry is almost helpless against armor in the latter. Then there are those ridicuously exaggerated values for bocage -- but I digress.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 451
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/29/2009 4:00:10 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

About half right. YOu've got a point about the hex conversion penalty -- but this is actually a problem when one is trying to model campaigns where either there really wasn't anything resembling 'hex ownership' (North Africa, for example) or where one side was going so hell for leather considerations of 'hex ownership' didn't slow them in the least (France in 1940, Barbarossa). Conversely, as it stands, one can run right along a completely ungarrisoned front -- if one 'owns' the hexes one will have all the benefits of this secure movement. If the enemy crosses over and attacks, you're magically deployed.

Yes, it's an abstraction, and that can cause some unrealities. But, thank God it's an abstraction! Do we really want to have to be concerned with whether our units are in line or column formation - and then what facing they have?

quote:

It'd be good if 'hex ownership' penalties could be adjusted from 0 to 100% of their current values for each force -- or even each army.

No argument from me there. I've been wanting that for a decade. (Item 12.25.3).

quote:

Alternatively, if the unit was motorized and one could have the option of choosing to stay in 'marching order' one's movement rate could be doubled.

That's in the wishlist too (item 6.16). I'm all in favor.

quote:

Finally, and as yet a third alternative, 'hex ownership' would not be static, but would be recalculated each turn on the basis of the proximity of units from each side. Again ideally, this value could be scaled for each force, and there would be a 'neutral' type that could or could not impose movement penalties on either or both of the forces but where neither force would 'see' any enemy units. That is to say, it would be friendly for movement purposes for both sides but hostile for recon purposes.

Hexes owned by neither side? Not a bad idea. I might qualify it such that only hexes that have communication paths with the enemy would be subject to switching - and even then only up to a certain distance.

quote:

quote:

For logistical reasons - and TOAW somewhat represents that via the supply penalty for units that have moved.

Now here I really can't see your argument. In what way does TOAW simulate the difficulties involved in suddenly changing an axis of advance?

The key word was "somewhat". To do more you'd actually have to have those columns of supply trucks strung out in the rear.

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 452
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/29/2009 4:35:18 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: damezzi

Oh, then tell me what isn't in Toaw.

Lots of stuff. Just to stick to this subject, the Peak hex isn't random or arbitrary. The designer controls just where they are. And if we could set how far they "see", they'd control that too.

quote:

Terrain modifiers are arbitrary numbers, ...

?? In what way? The designer has full control of exactly what the terrain in each hex is. And players know exactly what terrain is in each hex.

quote:

probability of hitting are arbitrary, and probability of spotting based on terrain are arbitrary too for sure and at the end, any of those events are random. Toaw is all based on arbitrary numbers (specified according to assumed averages) and random dice roll. Is there something more arbitrary and random than a quality check (which is based in strong arbitrary abstractions)?

But all of those things are random and arbitrary in real life, too. They're supposed to be modeled that way. Terrain isn't. Think of how this will play out: players will not know whether they are on one side or the other of a "ridge". That will be determined randomly - then vary from turn to turn, even.

quote:

quote:

You are confusing relief with altitude.

No, I'm not. If you read my last paragraph, you'll see that I suggest using your solution to simulate elevation, since then one would be able to look above any kind of terrain.

At the discretion of the designer.

quote:

But you must admit that MOST of the time a mountainous region will block terrain; MOST of the time a hilly region will place some obstruction to the line of sight. Most of the time open terrain with some forest in the middle will have the line of sight blocked by it. Toaw is all based on average after all. Not always will it be easier for a primitive anti-tank gun to hit a tank in a forest than in the open, but most of the time... and that`s what Toaw model, not specific situations.
You may still have open terrain in different levels, for example, in which case forest or hill terrain, if in lower level, wouldn't block the view, but then, designers could use your idea to model it.

At 2.5km hex scale (and this is almost entirely what this will concern) how many cases of two open hexes separated by a single mountain hex can we expect? This will primarily come down to just plains of open hexes. And in those cases detection will be entirely random and arbitrary. The figures I have show that the distance to the horizon for a 6-foot man is 5.3km. So, on average, you shouldn't see very far, even over a billiard table.

I just see this as too much work for dubious benefit.

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 453
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/29/2009 7:32:37 PM   
damezzi

quote:

ORIGINAL:  Curtis Lemay

quote:

Terrain modifiers are arbitrary numbers, ...

??  In what way?  The designer has full control of exactly what the terrain in each hex is.  And players know exactly what terrain is in each hex.

That doesn't mean they have control of the configuration of this specific terrain. A urban hex, for example, may contain single store buildings or two/three store buildings, may have broad streets or very narrow ones. All those characteristics would change completely the advantage or disadvantage of specific types of weapons, but Toaw uses an average, which means: what would be the average advantage of defenders on the average type of urban terrain if we consider random placement of equipment along this terrain, since we can't determine the exact position of equipment with relation to the terrain irregularities. The definition of this value is arbitrary adding to the generation of a value (after summed with other variables) which represents the probability of suffering casualties in combat.

quote:

quote:

probability of hitting are arbitrary, and probability of spotting based on terrain are arbitrary too for sure and at the end, any of those events are random. Toaw is all based on arbitrary numbers (specified according to assumed averages) and random dice roll. Is there something more arbitrary and random than a quality check (which is based in strong arbitrary abstractions)?

But all of those things are random and arbitrary in real life, too.  They're supposed to be modeled that way.  Terrain isn't.  Think of how this will play out: players will not know whether they are on one side or the other of a "ridge".  That will be determined randomly - then vary from turn to turn, even.

The probability of hitting according to terrain follows exactly the same principle of the probability of spotting according to terrain. Both are based on enemy crossing your line of sight in favorable conditions, which must be always random in Toaw, since the game doesn't represent the exact topography of the region. The question is not if you're on one side or another of a ridge, also as the possibility of hitting doesn't pose the question if an anti-armor gun is or not placed on a determinate side of a cover element; as the increased chances a defender has on urban terrain (which will work sometimes in his favor and sometimes not) don't pose the question if the defender was inside the buildings or not, behind them or not; this is a misunderstanding of the problem.

Sure you can argue that defenders are supposed to have assumed the best defensive position and the modifier reflects that, but then I can say that reconnaissance team is supposed to have taken the best spot and probability would reflect that. Ridges, cover, obstacle to movement, etc are all distributed randomly along a terrain hex and things like probability to hit and combat modifiers represent average probabilities based on experience, narratives, subjective opinions, etc. At the end, the chance of the random event 'holding the hex' is improved by terrain type as would the chance of the event 'detecting enemy' be improved by terrain type. The randomness is in the event, not in the terrain attributes; those would be fixed numbers like the modifiers.

If I'm moving on a 10 km diameter hilly region (which the topography is random, since not precisely defined), for instance, I can have a value to represent the probability of being at a favorable spot at the exact moment my enemy is moving through this gap (which is randomly placed as are buildings, wadis, rocks, etc) in the terrain 6 kms away. To define this value would be as arbitrary as defining that you have a 50% chance of hitting armor in forest. Both events have a random chance of happening and must be based on average, playtested and corrected until reasonable.

ASL for instance (ok, it is on the tactical level, but I use it here only to show how terrain that can't be represented precisely can pose a random chance of an event to happen) represent some obstructive terrain in the line of sight as a dice roll modifier to represent the chance one have of targeting (seeing clearly) an enemy. This single tree which blocked my view on a specific fire action will perhaps not block it again on the next fire action. It doesn't pose the question if enemy is or isn't on the opposite side of the tree, to the right or to the left. Maybe all were well covered, maybe not, but in average one will have x% of hitting someone through this king of terrain... one will have x% chance of seeing someone through this kind of terrain.

Lock'n Load imposes a spotting roll based on terrain type before you can fire to see if you detect the enemy before attacking. And this is one of the most praised aspects of Lock'n Load. Even on the tactical level, where terrain is represented in a much more detailed way, they use random values to determine whether one is able to see a unit or not after tracing a line of sight. I'm just using tactical games to show how random values can be used to determine chance of detection even on games with more defined topography, not to compare the distances and nature of this detection.

quote:

quote:

You are confusing relief with altitude.

No, I'm not. If you read my last paragraph, you'll see that I suggest using your solution to simulate elevation, since then one would be able to look above any kind of terrain.

So would mine solution. Designers would be able to establish a visibility diameter, that's the point. Terrain type would only serve as obstruction and if designers don't want them to obstruct, they can use the peak solution.

quote:

quote:

But you must admit that MOST of the time a mountainous region will block terrain; MOST of the time a hilly region will place some obstruction to the line of sight. Most of the time open terrain with some forest in the middle will have the line of sight blocked by it. Toaw is all based on average after all. Not always will it be easier for a primitive anti-tank gun to hit a tank in a forest than in the open, but most of the time... and that`s what Toaw model, not specific situations.
You may still have open terrain in different levels, for example, in which case forest or hill terrain, if in lower level, wouldn't block the view, but then, designers could use your idea to model it.

At 2.5km hex scale (and this is almost entirely what this will concern) how many cases of two open hexes separated by a single mountain hex can we expect?  This will primarily come down to just plains of open hexes.  And in those cases detection will be entirely random and arbitrary.  The figures I have show that the distance to the horizon for a 6-foot man is 5.3km.  So, on average, you shouldn't see very far, even over a billiard table.

I just see this as too much work for dubious benefit.

The example I placed was only to avoid the weird effect of seeing through mountains, but it serves any kind of terrain. Light woods, for example, would place some obstruction (after all we may find clearings and gaps in a light woods terrain), and having an open terrain followed by two light woods hexes isn't so rare, or? Don't stick to my examples to give the impression of a restrictive idea; they are just examples and as I stated this is just a sketch of an idea; no need to stick to any single detail I quoted to invalidate it; that only indicates bad will at trying to understand the bigger picture and the uncontrollable will to find flaw to stick with.

The figure you quote will be valid for a perfect billiard table, which, as you said, is rare. Most of the times you have a higher spot to send an observation team. I can see a hang glider 7 kms away from my window with naked eyes. It's true they are at a high level, but considering you have a higher spot to compensate (which most 2.5 km diameter area will have), seeing a moving column should be a lot easier. Not to mention observation tools, like the balloons used in WWI for artillery fire adjustment. Even if those would have to be represented inside the unit as reconnaissance asset, for them to have real effect, the chance to see further must exist.

I really don't see the point of going on with this discussion, as it is clear that out points of view are irreconcilable. As I said, I can't judge the amount of work involved, but I think such a solution would bring benefit for scenarios on the 2.5 and 5 km scale and those aren't rare. But after all, this is just a game, and such a discussion don't have a point if the idea wasn't well accepted by someone on the designers team.

Maybe a simpler idea would be to boost theatre reconnaissance with a modifier for enemy units within a radio of high reconnaissance friendly units, to represent detached reconnaissance teams going to favorable spots or even adjacent hexes to detect enemy at farther distances. This modifier could be set by the designer and would be used only when desirable. So one would be able to set a high modifier for favorable (in terms of visibility) overall terrain configuration and a low or null one for unfavorable configuration.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 454
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/30/2009 4:43:50 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

That doesn't mean they have control of the configuration of this specific terrain. A urban hex, for example, may contain single store buildings or two/three store buildings, may have broad streets or very narrow ones. All those characteristics would change completely the advantage or disadvantage of specific types of weapons, but Toaw uses an average, which means: what would be the average advantage of defenders on the average type of urban terrain if we consider random placement of equipment along this terrain, since we can't determine the exact position of equipment with relation to the terrain irregularities. The definition of this value is arbitrary adding to the generation of a value (after summed with other variables) which represents the probability of suffering casualties in combat.

That's equivalent to saying that if I digitize a photograph, since there is a granularity to the pixels, I might as well randomly generate those pixels. While there is a limit to the information the terrain tiles can contain, they are not random or arbitrary. They are fixed and known. What you're suggesting will randomly generate line-of-sight effects - which will be unknown to either the players or the designers.

quote:

quote:

But all of those things are random and arbitrary in real life, too.  They're supposed to be modeled that way.  Terrain isn't.  Think of how this will play out: players will not know whether they are on one side or the other of a "ridge".  That will be determined randomly - then vary from turn to turn, even.

The question is not if you're on one side or another of a ridge, ...

Of course it is! You can actually see the ridge. You can know that if you stay behind the ridge you aren't visible. It isn't a random event. Again, this is the difference between the limits of pixelization and randomly generating the pixels. Players don't control the micro-movement of their units within the hex, but they do control their movements from hex-to-hex. They have to be able to make rational decisions about those movements.

quote:

quote:

So would mine solution. Designers would be able to establish a visibility diameter, that's the point. Terrain type would only serve as obstruction and if designers don't want them to obstruct, they can use the peak solution.

It is not the same. The designer could not know which specific hexes would have line of sight. That would be determined randomly without knowledge of the players.

quote:

quote:

The figures I have show that the distance to the horizon for a 6-foot man is 5.3km.  So, on average, you shouldn't see very far, even over a billiard table.

The figure you quote will be valid for a perfect billiard table, which, as you said, is rare.

So, 5.3km would be a best case average. The practical average would be much, much less. And that's just to see the horizon. Seeing cammo'd units at distance is far more difficult. Makes one wonder just why this is so important.

quote:

Most of the times you have a higher spot to send an observation team.

A peak hex!

quote:

I can see a hang glider 7 kms away from my window with naked eyes. It's true they are at a high level, but considering you have a higher spot to compensate (which most 2.5 km diameter area will have), seeing a moving column should be a lot easier.

You can't be serious.

quote:

Not to mention observation tools, like the balloons used in WWI for artillery fire adjustment. Even if those would have to be represented inside the unit as reconnaissance asset, for them to have real effect, the chance to see further must exist.

I suppose that could be modeled via recon helicopters. Not a common issue.

quote:

But after all, this is just a game, and such a discussion don't have a point if the idea wasn't well accepted by someone on the designers team.

My influence is the same as yours - how persuasive I am to Ralph. And I will put your idea in the wishlist.

quote:

Maybe a simpler idea would be to boost theatre reconnaissance with a modifier for enemy units within a radio of high reconnaissance friendly units, to represent detached reconnaissance teams going to favorable spots or even adjacent hexes to detect enemy at farther distances. This modifier could be set by the designer and would be used only when desirable. So one would be able to set a high modifier for favorable (in terms of visibility) overall terrain configuration and a low or null one for unfavorable configuration.

But settle on just one.

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 455
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/30/2009 6:50:07 PM   
damezzi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

That's equivalent to saying that if I digitize a photograph, since there is a granularity to the pixels, I might as well randomly generate those pixels. While there is a limit to the information the terrain tiles can contain, they are not random or arbitrary. They are fixed and known. What you're suggesting will randomly generate line-of-sight effects - which will be unknown to either the players or the designers.

quote:

quote:

But all of those things are random and arbitrary in real life, too. They're supposed to be modeled that way. Terrain isn't. Think of how this will play out: players will not know whether they are on one side or the other of a "ridge". That will be determined randomly - then vary from turn to turn, even.

The question is not if you're on one side or another of a ridge, ...

Of course it is! You can actually see the ridge. You can know that if you stay behind the ridge you aren't visible. It isn't a random event. Again, this is the difference between the limits of pixelization and randomly generating the pixels. Players don't control the micro-movement of their units within the hex, but they do control their movements from hex-to-hex. They have to be able to make rational decisions about those movements.

Oh, you can't be serious. You're going into the realms of sophism with this analogy. Granularity has no interference on our mental codification of photograph elements; the difference between urban terrain configuration would. Players make rational decisions based on probabilities and specific probability of an event to happen consider a myriad of random line of sights, bullets paths, equipment paths, and so on. In fact all probabilities in the game represent an infinity of such random elements. Those are your grains and since players can't control each of them, he bases his rational decision on probability values driven by them, which are altered for each terrain by their modifiers.
Players control movement from hex to hex, but they don't control if the adjacent hex unit will be only detected or be spotted, for example. They will make rational decisions based on their reconaissance levels and probabilities of spotting or not. The same is valid for disengagement. They move out of the hex and consider the probabilities of successfully disengaging. It would be exactly the same thing; they would advance and have a chance of detecting or not an enemy 5 or 10 km away based on modifiers set for specific terrain types in between or the one in which the enemy unit is.
I'm not stating that my formula is the best solution; it's only an idea. But stating that such a solution is arbitrary is stating that designers of such games like ASL and Lock'n Load can't see what you see.

quote:

quote:

quote:

It is not the same. The designer could not know which specific hexes would have line of sight. That would be determined randomly without knowledge of the players.

This is a complete misunderstanding of the solution. There wouldn't be such a thing like 'hex 1' has line of sight to 'hex 2'. Your statement would imply that when I enter 'hex 1' adjacent to 'hex 2' and I'm able to spot a unit (not only detect it), then the game has randomly defined that I have a good line of sight between those two hexes or any other favorable condition if compared to two other hexes where spotting didn't happen. Being able to spot an adjacent hex only means that in this particular cirmcumstances, taking into account variable like reconnaissance capability, this event took place; before moving into the hex, the player would be able to estimate the probability of it happening. Exactly the same thing with my idea. Players would have a set probability (not a random one) of an event to happen based on terrain and would make their rational decisions based on it. If the event would happen or not... this would be random, exactly like the event of spotting or not an unit on an adjacent hex or most of the other events on Toaw. What part wasn't you able to understand???

Relative elevation between two hexes are another matter, which could be set by other means. My idea consider that such difference of elevation from one hex to the other doesn't exist, since Toaw doesn't model it. Designers can use peak or escarpment for doing it. That is not what I'm proposing.

quote:

quote:

quote:

The figures I have show that the distance to the horizon for a 6-foot man is 5.3km. So, on average, you shouldn't see very far, even over a billiard table.

The figure you quote will be valid for a perfect billiard table, which, as you said, is rare.

So, 5.3km would be a best case average. The practical average would be much, much less. And that's just to see the horizon. Seeing cammo'd units at distance is far more difficult. Makes one wonder just why this is so important.

We would be able to see much farther than this if it wasn't for earth curvature; In fact we can usually see much farther than this in most regions just by using the higher spots on it, even if it doesn't contain a peak. A simple 50m hill or building can allow one to see farther. A peak should be used for greater elevations, in which case we would be able to see anything around independently of terrain obstruction.

quote:

quote:

I can see a hang glider 7 kms away from my window with naked eyes. It's true they are at a high level, but considering you have a higher spot to compensate (which most 2.5 km diameter area will have), seeing a moving column should be a lot easier.

You can't be serious.

Once more you're sticking to an example I used to show that human with naked eye can see far away, just in case you used human limitations as argument. Sticking to those things to validate your arguments indicates narrow mindedness.

quote:

quote:

Not to mention observation tools, like the balloons used in WWI for artillery fire adjustment. Even if those would have to be represented inside the unit as reconnaissance asset, for them to have real effect, the chance to see further must exist.

I suppose that could be modeled via recon helicopters. Not a common issue.

Once more!!!! That was just one example of how one can have solutions to look from above... not from a 6 foot high (your figure), despite the fact that I, not reproducing your obtuse behaviour, can understand that you used it just as an initial reference. (so I hope)

quote:

quote:

But after all, this is just a game, and such a discussion don't have a point if the idea wasn't well accepted by someone on the designers team.

My influence is the same as yours - how persuasive I am to Ralph. And I will put your idea in the wishlist.

quote:

But settle on just one.

That's my decision. I'm not asking you any favor.

We are far away from a constructive debate here. I won't argue anymore. This is just lost time. Understand it as you want. Use my english to misinterpret, dig for some example that can be adulterated, stick to details out of context or any of those tools you like. After all, this isn`t so important for me. Even the importance of it comes from your misunderstanding of my points.

That was my first statement:

quote:

In fact, even if this isn't exactly a negative characteristic of the game, I think that it would be better if some concepts weren't based in hexes adjacency, but in real distance. One example I think is really illustrative is intelligence in open terrain. A unit in flat arid terrain, for example, should be able to sight enemy much further than 2.5km...

I kept arguing because of your behavior towards my idea. But I'm tired of it. "Be reason's owner" (that is a literal translation from a portuguese expression). I don't know why, but I'm really itching to write on portuguese. It seems it would make no difference.

Post #: 456
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/31/2009 7:48:48 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

Now here I really can't see your argument. In what way does TOAW simulate the difficulties involved in suddenly changing an axis of advance?

The key word was "somewhat". To do more you'd actually have to have those columns of supply trucks strung out in the rear.

I don't see how it does it at all. I can be moving east on one turn; in TOAW the next turn I can continue moving east or start moving northwest with equal facility.

You're right improving on the situation would be hard -- but not necessarily as hard as you suggest. For example, the program could simply confer a bonus so long as you continued to move along a line that diverged by no more than 30 degrees from the line of travel established in the previous turn: move three hexes in this fashion and you get another MP.

Something like that. Not that it's necessarily the best suggestion: but my point wasn't that the existing deficiency was easily remedied -- merely that it was there.

One could also set out 'direction of supply markers.' This actually sounds interesting to contemplate.

So say if you anticipate advancing, you put your direction of supply marker somewhere out ahead in enemy territory. This costs you some of the supply benefits you get merely from being near the original point of supply -- but improves your supply over what it would be otherwise so long as you are actually advancing in the anticipated direction.

If, on the other hand, you figure on fighting it out right where you stand, you plonk that marker right where you are -- and improve your supply so long as you stay there.

You could even plan on a fighting retreat -- and put the marker where you plan to withdraw to.

Frankly, I'd rather see other things addressed myself -- but we don't need to 'actually have columns of supply trucks strung out in the rear.' Anyway, the problem is more of an administrative one than one of where the supplies are physically located. So long as everyone's going where they are supposed to be going, everyone knows where the divisional Tylenol stockpile is supposed to wind up. When there's a sudden change, you get a mess.

Ideally, this could simulate a good deal of what went wrong with the French in 1940, for example. Everything was set up for an advance into central Belgium and an encounter battle. Chaos resulted when these orders were suddenly -- and radically -- changed. It's significant that the same French army fought very well the next year against the British in Syria. The British behaved exactly as the French anticipated they would. No muddles with the tanks here and their fuel supply there.

To return the admittedly not-very-completely-thought-out direction of supply idea, perhaps we should add a chance to go into re-org and shock effect. Then the French do fairly nicely so long as they are moving up into Belgium; they start falling down when they attempt to suddenly change front and direction 120 degrees; like, you can change the location of the markers but they don't become effective in their new locations for a week or whatever.

Note that this would also tend to produce the oft-exaggerated but nevertheless real improvement in French performance in early June -- when the Germans were doing what the French expected.

Obviously, the various parameters of this effect should vary from army to army and from scenario to scenario -- but in an ideal world, TOAW would have such an effect. The distinction between carrying out anticipated actions and having to suddenly change plans is something TOAW can't handle at all. Whether it could is open to discussion -- but it would be a good thing if it could.

It is observable that some armies have sometimes performed below what they otherwise would have been capable of simply because they were being called upon to do something other than what they had expected to do. Campaigns where it can be argued that unexpected developments seriously impinged on the performance of at least one of the combatants:

France, 1940.

North Africa, April 1941.

Barbarossa, June-July 1941.

The effect has probably operated less impressively elsewhere, and/or has led armies to stick with the plan rather than take advantage of sudden opportunities. Those of us with families know that even a weekend at the beach is hard to just decide to do on Friday morning: takes some coordination and checking with everyone's agenda. Think what it must be like for an infantry corps.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 7/31/2009 7:50:04 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 457
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/31/2009 7:57:53 AM   
ColinWright

Thinking about it further, and more generally, TOAW could do with some attention to the need for planning and organization. Aside from what I've just mentioned, there are absurdities such as tactical parachute drops to close pockets that only emerged earlier that morning, artillery barrages that don't involve stockpiling shells, and no doubt other places where the system fails because it doesn't allow for the fact that a good deal of this stuff needs to be arranged ahead of time. Event mechanisms and house rules can jerry-rig solutions to some of this -- but the game would be better if the effectiveness and abilities of one's units were tied to how closely developments were conforming to one's expectations. The Allies are able to drop a parachute division at Arnhem because they've been planning to do so for two weeks -- they can't just land the division across the Rhine at Strasbourg instead on the spur of the moment without a sizable drop in effectiveness.

Indeed, as it is, it's hard to understand how the Allies could have so willfully overlooked the evidence that the remnants of two panzer divisions had decided to stop and catch their breath right outside Arnhem. Perhaps if it was not just a matter of switching to some other attractive locale but of having the dropping units much more likely to break up and go into re-org the obstinacy would be more understandable.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 7/31/2009 8:00:49 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 458
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/31/2009 8:08:27 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

...I just see this as too much work for dubious benefit.

I'd be happy to disagree with Bob/Curtis -- but in this case I can't.

TOAW is an operational level game. It will only suffer if we start trying to inject tactical-level considerations into it.

Take the defensive advantages conferred by 'hills.' I'd tend to take those to mean that the terrain is such that the defender can find a line across that hex that will offer him superior lines of sight, cover for his own troops, etc. I do not think the

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 459
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/31/2009 4:12:31 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Oh, you can't be serious. You're going into the realms of sophism with this analogy.

I think it's extremely appropriate. Think about that digital photograph. It's made of pixels - each pixel contains only one color and etc. Yet in total, they form an amazingly accurate depiction of the original scene. But, if you generate them randomly, you'll just get garbage. The map is quite similar. One individual hex has limited information - but taken in total, it can be a very accurate model of the battlefield. You're suggesting that we then generate line-of-sight info randomly.

quote:

But stating that such a solution is arbitrary is stating that designers of such games like ASL and Lock'n Load can't see what you see.

Those are tactical games, right? Don't they already have elevations incorporated into them? Can't their line-of-sight extend for dozens if not hundreds of hexes from most locations?

TOAW HEXES DO NOT HAVE ELEVATION INFORMATION! Basing it on Terrain Types is a very poor substitute. Close to basing it on nothing at all - random.

Furthermore, even at the smallest scale (2.5km) and clearest terrain (steppe), detection couldn't extend for more than a few hexes under even the best of circumstances (and for those circumstances, we have the Peak tile). At other scales and terrains, it's close to pointless.

It should have been obvious that the way to deal with this issue is via refinement of the peak terrain. It's far, far simpler and completely non-random and non-arbitrary. Designers know where they are placed. Players can see them.

I stand by my original assessment: What you're suggesting would be very expensive to implement and what it produced would be of dubious value.

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 460
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/31/2009 4:33:51 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

One could also set out 'direction of supply markers.' This actually sounds interesting to contemplate.

So say if you anticipate advancing, you put your direction of supply marker somewhere out ahead in enemy territory. This costs you some of the supply benefits you get merely from being near the original point of supply -- but improves your supply over what it would be otherwise so long as you are actually advancing in the anticipated direction.

If, on the other hand, you figure on fighting it out right where you stand, you plonk that marker right where you are -- and improve your supply so long as you stay there.

You could even plan on a fighting retreat -- and put the marker where you plan to withdraw to.

Something along those lines might be incorporated into the supply unit. I'm not sure just how, though. Some sort of hysteresis perhaps. You can move the supply unit elsewhere, but it's effects remain in the location it was in a turn behind.

Post #: 461
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/31/2009 4:34:41 PM   
damezzi

quote:

TOAW is an operational level game. It will only suffer if we start trying to inject tactical-level considerations into it.

Take the defensive advantages conferred by 'hills.' I'd tend to take those to mean that the terrain is such that the defender can find a line across that hex that will offer him superior lines of sight, cover for his own troops, etc. I do not think the

I don’t think it’s a tactical consideration at all. It’s just the addition of one element to intelligence. How far one can see is also an operational issue. Instead of being able to detect enemy one hex further, one would be able to detect two or three hexes further (in smaller scale scenarios). No single line of sight is determined, but a probability based on the multiple lines of sight one has.
The modifiers for defenders in hilly regions are much more tactical in nature, in fact. Mine proposal wouldn’t affect combat at all and not even establish any kind of small scale details.

You’re right when you say that line of sight from hilly terrain will help defense, that could and should help seeing further too. After all, in a hilly terrain, I most probably will have some 50 m + hills at my disposal. Being unable to see a moving column in adjacent (not the hex) arid, open, sand, dunes, at least 7 kms (for example) away, being surprised by them…
Elevation isn’t modeled in Toaw. For sure any of those terrain I quoted could be in a higher level than the hills, but then, part of the defensive modifiers should be annulled too. If it isn’t, it means that it isn’t wasn’t a concern for the game designer. And for elevation, we have a work around at least.

Don’t get me wrong Collin, but I just don’t want to discuss this matter further. It was just a suggestion to be kept among hundreds of others here and which would hardly be used in the future(like most of the suggestions in the wish list) and if used, would be partially be used or changed, like those things happen most of the time.

It isn’t as important a matter for me. Curtis made me argue because of his stubbornness in stating that the solution would be arbitrary when it isn’t more arbitrary than any other probability based criteria in this game. I would have accepted other arguments, like I did from the beginning, the one based on the amount of work needed for implementing it. This is a reasonable argument and it may really not be worth the effort.

I’ll really discuss this matter no further, even if I respect arguments such as the one you presented.

Post #: 462
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/31/2009 4:36:57 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Thinking about it further, and more generally, TOAW could do with some attention to the need for planning and organization. Aside from what I've just mentioned, there are absurdities such as tactical parachute drops to close pockets that only emerged earlier that morning, artillery barrages that don't involve stockpiling shells, and no doubt other places where the system fails because it doesn't allow for the fact that a good deal of this stuff needs to be arranged ahead of time. Event mechanisms and house rules can jerry-rig solutions to some of this -- but the game would be better if the effectiveness and abilities of one's units were tied to how closely developments were conforming to one's expectations. The Allies are able to drop a parachute division at Arnhem because they've been planning to do so for two weeks -- they can't just land the division across the Rhine at Strasbourg instead on the spur of the moment without a sizable drop in effectiveness.

Indeed, as it is, it's hard to understand how the Allies could have so willfully overlooked the evidence that the remnants of two panzer divisions had decided to stop and catch their breath right outside Arnhem. Perhaps if it was not just a matter of switching to some other attractive locale but of having the dropping units much more likely to break up and go into re-org the obstinacy would be more understandable.

At the least, I'd like to see airdrops moved from the movement phase to the combat phase (see item 6.13). But it could be even more delayed to the start of the next turn. That would require some actual planning.

Post #: 463
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/31/2009 7:45:30 PM   
el cid

I know is on the wish list but I wanted to throw in an idea.

A lot has been talked about the rounds and how one unit in far away can spoil the turn, even for units 1000 km away. and I know in the wish list there is the idea that only units that did not finish their attacks will be in a state of continuing the attack.

Here is the idea: all the formation 8units tied to the same HQ) of a unit involved in an attack that has not finished will be set in the same state (could not receive new orders). This would represent the formation HQ involvement on the attack, being busy and not able to issue new orders to other units under its command.

What you would achieve with this is:
- bringing benefits to keeping formation together, and fighting together
- being able to design armies based on small formations vs large formations. The small formations will be much more flexible, and few units will be affected by attacks lasting too long.

< Message edited by el cid -- 7/31/2009 7:55:30 PM >

Post #: 464
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 8/1/2009 12:05:07 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid

I know is on the wish list but I wanted to throw in an idea.

A lot has been talked about the rounds and how one unit in far away can spoil the turn, even for units 1000 km away. and I know in the wish list there is the idea that only units that did not finish their attacks will be in a state of continuing the attack.

Here is the idea: all the formation 8units tied to the same HQ) of a unit involved in an attack that has not finished will be set in the same state (could not receive new orders). This would represent the formation HQ involvement on the attack, being busy and not able to issue new orders to other units under its command.

What you would achieve with this is:
- bringing benefits to keeping formation together, and fighting together
- being able to design armies based on small formations vs large formations. The small formations will be much more flexible, and few units will be affected by attacks lasting too long.

Yeah. Generally speaking, the global turn-ending has got to go. The effect has been weakened, but that's not really the problem. The problem is the global nature of the effect.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to el cid)
Post #: 465
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 8/1/2009 1:11:45 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

TOAW is an operational level game.

Seen this written quite a few times and I do not believe that it is true. TOAW is an “Operational” game only in the sense that the word “Operational” is used in the game name. Fact is that TOAW is expansive enough to build scenarios from the tactical scale (squads, platoons, companies) to the strategic (Armies and Army Groups). Europe Aflame and the Grand War WW I scenarios are hardly to be considered as “operational” . . . neither are the numerous scenarios which model individual battles.

This is not to say that TOAW models all levels with perfect fidelity, we know it doesn’t, but within reasonable limits both the tactical and strategic levels can be modeled. Its time to drop this notion that TOAW is an “Operational” game and that no other level of combat can be modeled using the TOAW engine.

Regards, RhinoBones

Post #: 466
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 8/1/2009 4:41:16 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

quote:

TOAW is an operational level game.

Seen this written quite a few times and I do not believe that it is true. TOAW is an “Operational” game only in the sense that the word “Operational” is used in the game name. Fact is that TOAW is expansive enough to build scenarios from the tactical scale (squads, platoons, companies) to the strategic (Armies and Army Groups). Europe Aflame and the Grand War WW I scenarios are hardly to be considered as “operational” . . . neither are the numerous scenarios which model individual battles.

This is not to say that TOAW models all levels with perfect fidelity, we know it doesn’t, but within reasonable limits both the tactical and strategic levels can be modeled. Its time to drop this notion that TOAW is an “Operational” game and that no other level of combat can be modeled using the TOAW engine.

Regards, RhinoBones

TOAW does nothing at all to simulate many factors that are critical on a tactical level. Line of sight, small arms weapon range, the importance of a 'we-go' system at that level, and some of the qualifications on unit control that exist at the tactical level all come to mind.

Nor does it offer many of the tools one would need for an adequate simulation on the strategic level. Production, the subtleties of national effort and expectations (the Second Front, Viet Nam), the need to engage in certain militarily inefficient but morale-raising activites (strategic bombing)...

You mistake the range. Within 'reasonable limits' part of the operational range can be modeled -- as it is, many situations contain critical elements TOAW can't handle -- even if they are approached at the operational level. By the time you reach anything that could be described as either 'tactical' or 'strategic' the deficiencies will be overwhelming. You can have a go -- but you can also have a go at using TOAW to model class control in an inner-city school.

As it is, OPART tends to start becoming a little implausible at both ends of its range -- that is to say, both at 2.5 km/hex and short turn lengths and at 50 km/hex and the longer turn lengths. It obviously functions best in the middle of the range it aspires to -- and is not really an adequate tool for simulation outside of that.

The game's name really is a giveaway. I think The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth), was explicitly disavowing any attempt to provide a simulation of warfare at either the tactical or the strategic levels. 'The Operational Art of War' -- why do you think he called it that?

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 467
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 8/1/2009 9:57:25 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Yeah. Generally speaking, the global turn-ending has got to go. The effect has been weakened, but that's not really the problem. The problem is the global nature of the effect.

It think the risk of early turn ending is an important check on low-quality forces otherwise being able to function like surgical-strike elites. The problem is really only when the scope of the scenario gets extreme. To deal with that correctly, we'd need to be able to split the front up into sections or such.

Post #: 468
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 8/1/2009 10:41:34 PM   
damezzi

quote:

quote:

It think the risk of early turn ending is an important check on low-quality forces otherwise being able to function like surgical-strike elites. The problem is really only when the scope of the scenario gets extreme. To deal with that correctly, we'd need to be able to split the front up into sections or such.

I agree with Curtis first sentence, but I think the solution proposed by El Cid, or something similar, may work. A check could be made for each formation individually based on force proficiency and it's MPs zeroed, if check failed. This would avoid surgical-strike like operations and represent lack of capability of individual HQs in terms of coordination. Others may be able to keep initiative by their own.

Well, that's the first time I think about it, so, maybe there is some undesirable collateral effect I didn't consider.

Post #: 469
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 8/1/2009 10:43:09 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

Well, that's it. The device is perfectly valid for an Arracourt or something. Smallish scenarios pitting one division- or corps sized force against another in a limited area over a limited timespan.

However, for anything covering an extended area or with multiple commands -- which would be a good half of the scenarios TOAW reasonably should be expected to handle -- it rapidly becomes a liability.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 470
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 8/8/2009 12:58:47 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

TOAW does nothing at all to simulate many factors that are critical on a tactical level. Line of sight, small arms weapon range, the importance of a 'we-go' system at that level, and some of the qualifications on unit control that exist at the tactical level all come to mind.

Nor does it offer many of the tools one would need for an adequate simulation on the strategic level. Production, the subtleties of national effort and expectations (the Second Front, Viet Nam), the need to engage in certain militarily inefficient but morale-raising activites (strategic bombing)...

You mistake the range. Within 'reasonable limits' part of the operational range can be modeled -- as it is, many situations contain critical elements TOAW can't handle -- even if they are approached at the operational level. By the time you reach anything that could be described as either 'tactical' or 'strategic' the deficiencies will be overwhelming. You can have a go -- but you can also have a go at using TOAW to model class control in an inner-city school.

As it is, OPART tends to start becoming a little implausible at both ends of its range -- that is to say, both at 2.5 km/hex and short turn lengths and at 50 km/hex and the longer turn lengths. It obviously functions best in the middle of the range it aspires to -- and is not really an adequate tool for simulation outside of that.

The game's name really is a giveaway. I think The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth), was explicitly disavowing any attempt to provide a simulation of warfare at either the tactical or the strategic levels. 'The Operational Art of War' -- why do you think he called it that?

If I understand your post correctly, Europe Aflame and the McBride/Falotti renditions of The Great War are either Operational scenarios (which I kind of doubt), or they are strategic scenarios which are unplayable because TOAW does not “. . . offer many of the tools one would need for an adequate simulation on the strategic level. Production, the subtleties of national effort and expectations (the Second Front, Viet Nam), the need to engage in certain militarily inefficient but morale-raising activites (strategic bombing)... “ and that the “deficiencies will be overwhelming”.

Wow! Wonder if the people playing these scenarios realize that their enjoyment is completely misspent? They would be better off playing a scenario about class control at an inner-city school.

As for the tactical side of TOAW . . . one must wonder why a great number of calories were spent building a data base defining the characteristics of so many individual weapons and why the game engine counts the number of shots fired by these individual weapons, the number of individual hits and the probability that a single hit will kill the target. Come on . . . is this type of detail really needed for an Operational game? Of course not; basic attack, defense, armor and movement values would suffice. But, this level of detail is wonderful for the tactical scenario, it is good for the rivet counters and it is extremely good for the people that truly love to play/build war scenarios of any scale that contain the TOAW level of unit detail.

Writing that “The Norm . . . was explicitly disavowing any attempt to provide a simulation of warfare at either the tactical or the strategic levels” is smoke, mirrors and BS. You really have no knowledge of what The Norm was thinking and you prove this by making up words he never said publicly. “Explicitly disavowing” . . . did The Norm actually speak these words to you, or is this a fabrication purporting to be the truth?

As for the title, my guess is that he wanted to make a play off “The Art of War”, but since the title was already coined by Sun Tzu, he needed to make a slight alteration while retaining the flavor. The Strategic Art of War (TSAW), too hot. The Tactical Art of War (TTAW), too cold. The Operational Art of War! Ahhhhh, sounds and tastes just right. TOAW . . . it kind of rolls off the tongue. Good name for a war game. Sun Tzu is happy.

Of course if you have any first hand communication with The Norm about his intentions, feel free to share them with the forum. Otherwise, in spite of the game title, the evidence strongly points to TOAW being designed as a universal war game engine. Operational scale just happens to be the happy medium between tactical and strategic.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 471
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 8/8/2009 2:48:11 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

If I understand your post correctly, Europe Aflame and the McBride/Falotti renditions of The Great War are either Operational scenarios (which I kind of doubt), or they are strategic scenarios which are unplayable because TOAW does not “. . . offer many of the tools one would need for an adequate simulation on the strategic level. Production, the subtleties of national effort and expectations (the Second Front, Viet Nam), the need to engage in certain militarily inefficient but morale-raising activites (strategic bombing)... “ and that the “deficiencies will be overwhelming”.

All I am saying is that as you move out of its designed range, TOAW will become increasingly inefficient. La Familia Wright, at the moment, owns a Mazda MPV. This is ideal for the uses we put it to. As a sports car, it could indeed drive around the course, and as a moving van, we could indeed get our earthly goods from here to there on it...eventually. However, it's not really designed for these purposes, and so will tend to perform relatively poorly if put to these purposes. Another vehicle would be better.
quote:

Wow! Wonder if the people playing these scenarios realize that their enjoyment is completely misspent? They would be better off playing a scenario about class control at an inner-city school.

I wouldn't (and didn't) say their time is completely misspent. However, I am sure that Curt (the designer of Vietnam and Erik Nygaard (who has essayed several 1 km/hex scenarios) would both agree that their tasks would have been considerably easier -- and presumably better executed -- if they had had a purpose-designed vehicle at hand.
quote:

As for the tactical side of TOAW . . . one must wonder why a great number of calories were spent building a data base defining the characteristics of so many individual weapons and why the game engine counts the number of shots fired by these individual weapons, the number of individual hits and the probability that a single hit will kill the target. Come on . . . is this type of detail really needed for an Operational game? Of course not; basic attack, defense, armor and movement values would suffice. But, this level of detail is wonderful for the tactical scenario, it is good for the rivet counters and it is extremely good for the people that truly love to play/build war scenarios of any scale that contain the TOAW level of unit detail.

All that is there to provide a non-arbitary framework for assigning values. It's a valid approach -- but does nothing to prove the game is suitable for tactical simulation. My annuity's value is calculated to the nearest cent -- that doesn't demonstrate it's the right vehicle to buy a six-pack of beer with.
quote:

Writing that “The Norm . . . was explicitly disavowing any attempt to provide a simulation of warfare at either the tactical or the strategic levels” is smoke, mirrors and BS. You really have no knowledge of what The Norm was thinking and you prove this by making up words he never said publicly. “Explicitly disavowing” . . . did The Norm actually speak these words to you, or is this a fabrication purporting to be the truth?

As for the title, my guess is that he wanted to make a play off “The Art of War”, but since the title was already coined by Sun Tzu, he needed to make a slight alteration while retaining the flavor. The Strategic Art of War (TSAW), too hot. The Tactical Art of War (TTAW), too cold. The Operational Art of War! Ahhhhh, sounds and tastes just right. TOAW . . . it kind of rolls off the tongue. Good name for a war game. Sun Tzu is happy.

Alternatively, by calling it the 'Operational Art of War', we might be led to believe that Norm intended the game to simulate warfare at the Operational level. Just a guess here, of course. You're free to suggest alternative hypotheses.
quote:

Of course if you have any first hand communication with The Norm about his intentions, feel free to share them with the forum. Otherwise, in spite of the game title, the evidence strongly points to TOAW being designed as a universal war game engine. Operational scale just happens to be the happy medium between tactical and strategic.

Regards, RhinoBones

Lol. Nevermind if it's explicitly called 'operational' -- and designed accordingly -- it's intended as a universal war game engine. That's obvious.

It explains the absence of any devices for simulating production, lines of fire, recruitment, larger/smaller scales, etc. Your logical acumen is stunning.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 472
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 8/8/2009 2:53:37 AM   
ColinWright

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 8/8/2009 2:54:01 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 473
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 8/8/2009 12:08:03 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

I consider McBride's "Great War" to be virtually unplayable and riddled with problems (and for those who will ascribe personal motives to this remark, note that I don't feel the same about DNO)- I can't speak for Pierro's scenario. Europe Aflame is popular for excellent reasons, but it's not exactly simulation. Come join Rommel on his way to Armenia!

Point is that one can play these scenarios- but it's obvious the system is creaking. One has to constantly make compromises. Take for example the eighty page briefing for McBride's Great War- most of which consists of house rules.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 8/8/2009 12:09:49 PM >

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 474
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 8/8/2009 12:15:57 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

First paragraph on page 8 of the TOAW III manual;

"...The term is generally used to describe anything in the grey area between strategy [...] and tactics [...] Think of the operational level as a view of the battlefield on a scale just exceeding that at which differing ranges of various direct fire weapons are significant."

So, no, he didn't just pick the name because it sounded nice. He explicity stated in the manual that his intention was to exclude the strictly tactical and the purely strategic.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 475
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 8/8/2009 6:03:36 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

"...The term is generally used to describe anything in the grey area between strategy [...] and tactics [...] Think of the operational level as a view of the battlefield on a scale just exceeding that at which differing ranges of various direct fire weapons are significant."

So, no, he didn't just pick the name because it sounded nice. He explicity stated in the manual that his intention was to exclude the strictly tactical and the purely strategic.

Petty details such as this won't slow down the Rhino. Having adopted an essentially untenable position, he will now become increasingly angry and abusive as he attacks all criticisms of it.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 476
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 8/9/2009 3:42:31 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

. . . he will now become increasingly angry and abusive as he attacks all criticisms of it.

Well, that’s not very civil. It appears that you are purposely attempting to provoke a response. Since you obviously prefer the low road . . . I instead prefer to take the high road and dismiss the provocation as grade school mentality.

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

Thank you for pointing out the quote. Very interesting. However, there is nothing in the paragraph (and the following paragraphs which you neglected to quote) that precludes tactical/strategic level scenarios or “explicitly” disavows their development. In fact, the following paragraphs go on to describe the flexibility of TOAW . . . and since The Norm (genuflect three times) included the basic unit, map and time scales necessary for tactical/strategic scenarios development, my conclusion is that he had no problem with creativity at the upper and lower thresholds of warfare.

To conclude, I find it difficult to understand why the inclusion of the word “Operational” in the game title is so debilitating to understanding the functions that the game engine is designed to perform. To support my position I can point to the fact that TOAW contains both tactical and strategic game elements . . . the people opposed to this point of view have no facts. Instead they resort to interpretations of intent, read between the lines and adherer to The Norm (genuflect three times) mythology in order to build a case.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Post #: 477
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 8/9/2009 5:42:52 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

I wouldn't (and didn't) say their time is completely misspent. However, I am sure that Curt (the designer of Vietnam and Erik Nygaard (who has essayed several 1 km/hex scenarios) would both agree that their tasks would have been considerably easier -- and presumably better executed -- if they had had a purpose-designed vehicle at hand.

So, you are saying that not only is the tactical possible, but that some designers have actually made respectable tactical scenarios. Is this what you meant?

quote:

Loll. Nevermind if it's explicitly called 'operational' -- and designed accordingly -- it's intended as a universal war game engine. That's obvious.

By "obvious" do you mean that TOAW is truly universal, i.e. tactical, operational and strategic?

Also note that you wrote this before Apple Boy popped up with the manual quote . . . so do you still stand by your words or do you need to retract?

Regards, RhinoBones

< Message edited by rhinobones -- 8/9/2009 5:44:55 AM >

Colin Wright:

Post #: 478
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 8/9/2009 11:37:39 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

and since The Norm (genuflect three times) included the basic unit, map and time scales necessary for tactical/strategic scenarios development, my conclusion is that he had no problem with creativity at the upper and lower thresholds of warfare.

2.5km/hex is "on a scale just exceeding that at which differing ranges of various direct fire weapons are signficant". Therefore I would consider it operational.

50km/hex can (just about) be used for operational level scenarios. See Bob Cross' excellent Soviet Union 1941.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 479
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 8/9/2009 5:50:13 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

. . . he will now become increasingly angry and abusive as he attacks all criticisms of it.

Well, that’s not very civil. It appears that you are purposely attempting to provoke a response. Since you obviously prefer the low road . . . I instead prefer to take the high road and dismiss the provocation as grade school mentality.

That'll be a first. If so, my comment will have had the desired effect.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Comprehensive Wishlist Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI