Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Motorcycles immobilized?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Motorcycles immobilized? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Motorcycles immobilized? - 10/27/2000 10:35:00 PM   
Hornet

In my game my motorcycle squad got immobilized. Is this a bug? It doesn't sound too realistic that whole squad stops if one motorcycle breaks down. I think they would probably leave it's driver to fix it or leave the motorcycle behind and take the driver with them.

Post #: 1
- 10/28/2000 12:23:00 AM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Hornet: In my game my motorcycle squad got immobilized. Is this a bug? It doesn't sound too realistic that whole squad stops if one motorcycle breaks down. I think they would probably leave it's driver to fix it or leave the motorcycle behind and take the driver with them.
Intentional. Alternativly one had to put the damage points (the random breakdowns are expressed by damage points applied to the "vehicle", most cases the suspension) into the "crew section" .. would you really prefer loosing men to breakdowns? I agree that for reality reasons inf. and cycle units should suffer "casualties" instead of "suspension damage", but I'm not shure if this would be possible .. remember, the program code is basically still from ancient DOS times Arralen

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 2
- 11/1/2000 10:35:00 PM   
Billy Yank

quote:

Originally posted by Arralen: Alternativly one had to put the damage points (the random breakdowns are expressed by damage points applied to the "vehicle", most cases the suspension) into the "crew section" .. would you really prefer loosing men to breakdowns?
Frankly, yes I would prefer to lose men to breakdowns. Motorcycle troops are scouts. I don't care what their combat power is, I care about how fast they move and how well they spot the enemy. Given a choice between a one or two man casualty and having the whole unit immobilized for an indefinate period, I'll take the casualty. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Billy Yank
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-- Thorin Oakenshield

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 3
- 11/1/2000 11:11:00 PM   
Kluckenbill

I think that in terms ir realism, having the entire squad become immobilized is the least realistic option. The best option would be to have the squad take crew casualties instead of becoming immobilized. This would simulate losing individual vehicles with the (fairly realistic) assumption that the crews would not rejoin the squad if they are able to get the problem fixed later in the battle. Also preferrable to total breakdown would be to make the motorcycles not subject to breakdown. They were quite reliable and didn't often get mired down. ------------------ Target, Cease Fire !

Target, Cease Fire !

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 4
- 11/2/2000 1:58:00 AM   
Mac_MatrixForum

quote:

Originally posted by Kluckenbill: The best option would be to have the squad take crew casualties instead of becoming immobilized. This would simulate losing individual vehicles with the (fairly realistic) assumption that the crews would not rejoin the squad if they are able to get the problem fixed later in the battle.
As the "kills" are not always deaths but incapacitation, I think we could count broken bike as incapacitated... perhaps the driver was hurt in the crash as well. So, logical choice would be to reduce men from breakdowns with bikes and cycles instead of immobilization for whole unit. ------------------ Markku "Mac" Rontu "Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Sheridan in B5

Markku "Macroz" Rontu
"Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Captain John J. Sheridan, Babylon 5

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 5
- 11/2/2000 4:14:00 AM   
Zarquon

Obviously noone here ever tried a motorcycle group trip... What generally happens is everybody stops to lend a hand. (Well, standing around giving useless advice, take the opportunity to have a fag/wee or whatever) In war things may be different, but even then I wouldn't like to just leave part of my squad behind trying to fix a flat tire. So, the current solution might be the most realistic... Just a thought, would it be posssible to code mc squads as platoons, ie separate units, like tank platoons and such? That would at least give the player a choice betweeen stoppping or leaving the damaged unit behind. ------------------ The past is a fiction created to account for the discrepancies between my immeditate physical sensations and my state of mind.

The past is a fiction created to account for the discrepancies between my immeditate physical sensations and my state of mind.

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 6
- 12/1/2000 2:58:00 AM   
hhsohn

Okay, if the powers that be says motorcycles shall get immobilized, then that's fine. But at least can you put on a turret? It's ridiculous that whole squad gets stuck and then can't switch its facing.

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 7
- 12/1/2000 3:43:00 AM   
Warhorse

Hhsohn, unfortunately I can't even make a new icon for it with an invisible turret, like the infantry and cavalry, these are hard-coded icons, and can't be messed with!! Well, I might try it with Fred's editor, but even if I can, I would have to modify the mech file, which already I did for my personal use, but then everyone would have to get that mech.exe, and could be a problem if there's another executable patch. Which brings me to another point, we are about out of icon slots that can just be used, there are quite a few available yet, but will need to be modified with Spilc, so probably will have to wait awhile, see if another patch will be released inb the near future, if not, I will make some more, and modify the exe, works without a hitch too, I might add!! ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 8
- 12/1/2000 4:04:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

I think the best way of dealing with this is to use motorcyles say in pairs rather than as "whole squads" one could envision a wingman staying with a broken down buddy until repaired. I'm sure folks out there will know for sure, but my impresion is that Motorcycle recon was dispersed rather wideley (maybe a group of two pairs max, and did not drive around the countryside in squad sized herds??

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 9
- 12/2/2000 4:13:00 PM   
G. K. Zhukov

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: I'm sure folks out there will know for sure, but my impresion is that Motorcycle recon was dispersed rather wideley (maybe a group of two pairs max, and did not drive around the countryside in squad sized herds??
Maybe the other possibility is making motorcycles plain vehicles with the ability of load/unload troops?

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 10
- 12/3/2000 7:52:00 AM   
victorhauser

Paul, I like your idea about 2-man motorcycle teams.

VAH

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 11
- 12/3/2000 1:07:00 PM   
BlitzSS

Aleast not until the Americans showed up with their Harleys.

"Nuts"

(in reply to Hornet)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Motorcycles immobilized? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI