Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

In praise of Scenario 15 Clash of Titans

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> In praise of Scenario 15 Clash of Titans Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
In praise of Scenario 15 Clash of Titans - 6/6/2002 7:56:39 AM   
strollen

I know most people are playing either 16 or 17, but if you are interested in challenging game as the Allies try #15. In this scenario neither Coral sea or Midway happened. The Japanese seized PM and control all of PNG. Also they start with a small base on Lunga. The scenario starts in July and both sides have a lot of carriers.

I tried 16 as the allies, and 17 as the Japanese but after a few months decided that the computer naval losses were too large. I had well established bases, in both Gili Gili and Lunga and while I wasn't strong enough as the Japanese to take out Lungaville, or even PM. The computer was going to just make futile attacks.

However, scenario 15 is different. I invaded Gili Gili and barely captured, at the beginning of the scenario. But, I lost a lot of surface ships, 1/3 of my shipping keeping it. In the first naval battle of Gili Gili I had all of my carriers damaged (15-20%). I damaged 3 or 4 IJN CV/CVL and sunk the Shokaku. The 2nd battle of Gili Gili wasn't so successful. I traded the Wasp, and Yorktown for the Akagi and possibly the Soryu. With flight operations render impossible for all carriers. Carrier battle fought at 30 miles (one hex) are really bloody!

It is now 9/27 and the situation is still in doubt. Ship losses have been pretty even 1377 IJN, 1006 US. I have isolated Port Morsby and bombed it to oblivion. The AI continues to try and send Fast transports and the ocassional merchant ship to try and supply PM, which has been suicidal. I am going to invade PM and stop taking advantage of the dumb AI.

On the other hand Lunga is now a level 6 air 4 port base. manned by 1+ Division and 4 engineer units. It is also home of best fighter pilots. Squadrons with lots of experience Zero pilots and hard setting going up against P39s and a few wildcats, become transformed into ace squadrons. (I've lost track of Japanese aces I think there must be 6-8, I have 0...). I don't even bother to fly cap over my fighter base Irau in San Cristobal Island, Vals and Bettys don't do a lot of damage, but fighting Zeros is deadly.

It is to bad the AI does not bombard the Irau base instead making bombardment runs on Luganville.

If you want a very challenging game try playing 15 with a very hard setting, and 200% help for the Japanese. I don't think I could bet the AI at that setting.
Post #: 1
- 6/6/2002 11:13:53 AM   
Hartmann

You know what, I maybe will try that. :) Although I also thought of playing 17 with the Allies and give the Japanese 200%. I think this parameter is a very good one to increase difficulty without having the AI cheat in actual battles.

Hartmann

(in reply to strollen)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> In praise of Scenario 15 Clash of Titans Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI