Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  157 158 [159] 160 161   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/5/2009 8:19:53 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

“Are you sure it is her?”

“She is a small elderly woman named Rin who has taken command of an entire ward,” he says. “All the doctors, corpsmen, and nurses love her and fear her and obey her every whim. Does that…”

“Oh it is her!” interrupts Nanami happily.

Beautiful!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4741
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/6/2009 12:27:20 AM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

American efficiency? I've always thought we were kind of looked down upon in that regards - at least by Germans, to whom efficiency is sacrosanct. American abundance and productivity and inginuity, yes!

Your reference to chocolate reminds me of the scene in the "Battle of the Bulge" movie in which two German officers are marveling over the fact that American infantry troops in the Ardennes had chocolate cake that had been flown over from the states.

P.S. I should add that this isn't a complaint about your story! Far from it - like everyone else I continue to marvel at your ability to weave such an engaging narrative.

Certainly a case could be made that the US military had its issues. Look up the meaning of SNAFU and you get the general feeling of the average GI. That said, the USN beachmasters had been honed to a razors edge by this point after two and a half years of hard fighting. They knew how to get stuff ashore and off the beach as quickly as posible by this time.

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4742
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/6/2009 1:55:20 AM   
SierraJuliet

Brilliant.  CF; are you planning an epilogue for when the war does finish?

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 4743
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/6/2009 4:58:12 AM   
Hornblower

Yeah, and will you pick another ship for an AE AAR.. Perhaps a CA or a USN CV?? 

(in reply to SierraJuliet)
Post #: 4744
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/6/2009 4:22:02 PM   
Panther Bait

In support of Nanami, she probably can't comprehend that the actual American uber-abundance can overcome their typical inefficiency, based on the austerity of the typical Japanese military effort.  She probably just assumes that their ability to provide what is needed comes from high efficiency rather than truly unimaginary logistical largesse.

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to Hornblower)
Post #: 4745
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/6/2009 8:10:18 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: SierraJuliet

Brilliant.  CF; are you planning an epilogue for when the war does finish?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hornblower

Yeah, and will you pick another ship for an AE AAR.. Perhaps a CA or a USN CV?

Yes, when it is done I will do both a complete recap of the game as a game and an epilogue, or more likely a series of epilogues. I'd also like to see if I can get my opponent to comment on the game.

As for an AE AAR, there will certainly be one but I don't know yet what form it will take. Following a single ship is a real gamble and I have been absurdly lucky this time around. Doing something from the Allied side is a real possibility, though.

(in reply to SierraJuliet)
Post #: 4746
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/6/2009 8:16:27 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 20, 1945

Course: None
Attached to: TF 21
Mission: Surface combat
System Damage: 3
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 475

Orders: Await further orders

---

It is a cool, misty morning in Hakodate. A light drizzle mists Hibiki, coating rails, weapons, and lines with droplets of water. The destroyer is at anchor about 300 meters offshore and the city is only dimly visible in the distance.

Captain Ishii stands on the port observation wing sipping from a mug of hot tea. Water beads on his oilskins but Ishii does not mind. There is almost no wind and he rather likes mornings like this, quiet and shrouded and damp. At the moment the loudest sound is the growl of Hibiki’s boat as it recedes in the distance, heading towards shore. Ishii sips his tea and watches the boat’s progress.

After a moment a much louder throb of engines reaches his ear, faint at first but slowly growing. There are unexcited calls from the starboard lookouts and Ishii ambles through the bridge and steps out onto the starboard side.

Emerging out of the mist is a line of warships. In the lead is a trio of destroyers and following them are a pair of heavy cruisers. It is the shape dimly glimpsed behind these that draws Ishii’s attention, however. It is a battleship, looming out of the drizzle like some large gray prehistoric beast. An apt comparison, Ishii thinks. Battleships in these latter days of the Imperial Japanese Navy are almost legends out of the past.

He borrows a pair of binoculars from a lookout and scrutinizes the ship. It is a Kongo-class, that much is quickly apparent, but he has to wait for the warship to become more clearly visible before he sees that it is Hiei. Another heavy cruiser and a pair of destroyers bring up the rear.

Hiei shows no obvious signs of damage and sprouts new radar aerials. Ishii does not know where the battleship has been but it has obviously been refit and is ready for a fight.

Ishii hands back the binoculars stands and finishes his cooling tea as the newcomers disperse and drops anchor. There are now, in addition to Hiei, seven heavy cruisers, three light cruisers, and twenty destroyers in the anchorage. It is enough force, used properly, to command respect even from the Allied fleet. Used poorly it is only a nice collection of targets. Ishii wonders which it will turn out to be.

The drizzle begins to intensify into a steady rain. Ishii wanders back inside to finish his tea.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4747
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/7/2009 6:58:47 PM   
Tomasek

The superstructure of Hiei was completely different compared to the rest of the class... Thus, if Ishii knows that it is Kongo class, then he would not need to wait more time to recognize Hiei...

Nevertheless, breath-taking story...

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4748
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/7/2009 7:48:22 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomasek

The superstructure of Hiei was completely different compared to the rest of the class... Thus, if Ishii knows that it is Kongo class, then he would not need to wait more time to recognize Hiei...

True, but when viewed bow on, she would be more difficult to ID.

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to Tomasek)
Post #: 4749
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/7/2009 8:18:28 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomasek

True, but when viewed bow on, she would be more difficult to ID.

Two more points: Hiei was the first of the Kongo-class to be sunk, after the famous close-quarter action off Guadalcanal. (Which, AFAIK, is the only battle in which two American admirals were killed.) Since in this timeline, Hiei has survived until 1945, it is highly likely there has been some extensive refitting. Second, there was a fair amount of mist for Ishii to peer through . . .

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 4750
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/8/2009 3:04:26 AM   
Xxzard

Agree with mist, but Hiei was quite different from her bretheren.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 4751
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/8/2009 7:01:12 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xxzard

Agree with mist, but Hiei was quite different from her bretheren.

But, would she still have been so in May 1945?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Xxzard)
Post #: 4752
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2009 5:45:54 AM   
Cuttlefish

May 21, 1945

---

Excerpt from a letter from Sayumi Takahashi to her husband, Taiki:

I have important news for you, my husband. Your brother has come home. His right arm is gone but otherwise he has mostly recovered from his wounds. His body has recovered, I should say. I think his spirit will take longer to heal.

Oh, he makes jokes about his scars and his missing arm. He will often say things such as “Here, let me give you a hand with that. Oops, looks like I already did.” He smiles when he says them but I can tell his jokes mask a great deal of pain and confusion over what has happened to him. From what you and others have told me he was always the strong one, the capable one. Now he is scarred and crippled. And what is worse for him, I think, is that he is no longer capable of serving in the war.

Your mother, I think, is just relieved to have him home alive and safe. Your father perhaps understands his feelings better but cannot find the words to talk to Noboru about what has happened. They speak of the war, of your father’s business, about politics and other things, but not about Noboru’s wounds. Never about that.

I have urged him to write to you but he just says that he is sure that you have more important things to do than read silly letters. Would you write to him? It would mean so much to him, I know it. Even if you do not mention what has happened to him. Maybe especially if you do not mention it but you know him better than anyone and I trust your judgment about that.

As for me, every time I look at him I worry about you. I know that in public I am supposed to smile and say what an honor it is to have you risk your life for Japan but in my letters to you I can say that if you do not come back to me alive I will be very, very angry with you. I do not care if the censors read it or not. You are to come back to me safe and sound, do you hear me?

That may not sound properly obedient or docile. Well that is just too bad. Maybe I am not a proper wife. But come home safe, sailor, and I will show you just how obedient I can be.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4753
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2009 5:50:20 AM   
Xxzard

My thoughts are yes. Although she might sprout radar antennas, the top part of the control tower is significantly thinner looking in the fore aft axis, and it is more like a single cohesive tower like yamato. Of course, this thread can virtually be considered a book, so I won't say one should see it in any specific way, that would be splitting hairs.

Post #: 4754
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2009 8:27:10 AM   
thegreatwent

CF your writing is amazing, I hope you chronicle this story if only so I can share it with my wife. She won't sit through 150 posts to read it. A small volume would be a good read. A comic format would also work but a couple of artists and a publisher would need to get involved.

Once again, hats off to the good ship and crew.

(in reply to Xxzard)
Post #: 4755
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2009 4:00:28 PM   
SVEN HASSEL ITA

Greetings from Italy.

I'm only on page 46, but this is a spectacular AAR.

Thank you CF

Post #: 4756
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/9/2009 9:16:02 PM   
Durbik

quote:

He will often say things such as “Here, let me give you a hand with that. Oops, looks like I already did.”

Is this idiomatic expression also a part of japanese language?

obey the fist!

(in reply to SVEN HASSEL ITA)
Post #: 4757
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/10/2009 12:17:19 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Durbik

quote:

He will often say things such as “Here, let me give you a hand with that. Oops, looks like I already did.”

Yes, it is the same expression in Japanese as in English. I thought of and discarded several other phrases because they didn't translate before settling on this one.

(in reply to Durbik)
Post #: 4758
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/10/2009 12:46:01 AM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish
That may not sound properly obedient or docile. Well that is just too bad. Maybe I am not a proper wife. But come home safe, sailor, and I will show you just how obedient I can be.

Zoiks! My vow!

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4759
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/10/2009 2:23:12 AM   
Alikchi2

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Durbik

quote:

Yes, it is the same expression in Japanese as in English. I thought of and discarded several other phrases because they didn't translate before settling on this one.

This is wonderfully illustrative of the amount of thought you've put into this. Kudos.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4760
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/10/2009 7:52:29 AM   
Durbik

I'm even more impressed!

obey the fist!

(in reply to Alikchi2)
Post #: 4761
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/10/2009 8:40:59 AM   
gladiatt

quote:

As for me, every time I look at him I worry about you. I know that in public I am supposed to smile and say what an honor it is to have you risk your life for Japan but in my letters to you I can say that if you do not come back to me alive I will be very, very angry with you. I do not care if the censors read it or not. You are to come back to me safe and sound, do you hear me?

Appart from the "grivoiserie" that some could find in there, i feel this letter is a real love letter, with many more things behind the words. Congrats for the emotion, CF.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4762
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/10/2009 3:02:00 PM   
Marc gto

Just when you think it couldnt get any better....

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 4763
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/10/2009 11:38:04 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 22, 1945

---

Paymaster Lieutenant JG Kataoka is in his office. The office consists of one small desk, wedged into a corner of forward storeroom number two and surrounded by drums and crates, and one fairly sturdy iron safe next to the desk. Right now the portly officer is seated at the desk and holding at a bundle of money. He looks at it as he turns it over in his hands.

The money comes from the latest pay ration, which he has just signed for. The rest is now secured in the safe, though Kataoka has done this out of habit rather than out of any need for security. He is pretty sure that the money is next to valueless.

Oh, it looks nice enough. They went with a dragon design this time, he notes. But it is the lack of serial numbers that really catches his eye. It shows that the government has all but given up pretending that its military scrip has any real value. It can be used, in rapidly increasing quantities, to obtain goods and services anywhere in the Empire, but the merchants that receive it may as well be receiving piles of blank paper.

Kataoka is an accountant by profession, not an economist, but he knows enough about the subject to guess that Japan now stands on the edge of total economic collapse. It won’t really get bad until the war ends, he thinks. Right now it still has some value because the military insists it does, and the military has guns. But take away that prop and what you are left with is toilet paper.

He remembers that not long before the war two yen were worth an American dollar. The last figure he heard was sixteen yen to the dollar, and that was some time ago. He wonders what it is now. Three hundred yen to the dollar? That, he thinks, tells you all you need to know about who is winning this damned war.

Still, he will do his job and issue it to Hibiki’s crew, and the sailors will spend it on women or drink or send it home to try to help their families. Since pay scales have not been adjusted much since the start of the war it will buy very little, whatever they use it for. At least they still get three meals a day and a place to sleep. That is more than many in Japan have, these days.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4764
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/11/2009 8:20:16 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 23, 1945

---

At 1000 hours a boat from shore comes alongside Hibiki. Up the ladder comes a slender, neatly dressed captain in the Tokubetsu Koto Keisatsu. The name is usually shortened to Tokko, though they sometimes call themselves “Peace Police.” “Thought Police” is the term used by many other Japanese, as their job is to seek out subversives and members of dangerous ideologies and arrest them. With the Tokko officer are two guards. Bringing up the rear is a lieutenant of the Tokkeitai.

Lieutenant Kuwaki, the officer of the deck, is there to meet them. He greets them courteously enough, though he is obviously not thrilled to see them. The Tokko captain announces that he wishes to see Leading Seaman Hikaru Shoji. It is also desirable that the ship’s captain join them, he says.

Kuwaki wastes no time in sending for both. He then stands there in an at ease posture and offers no further comment.

Ishii gets there first. He strides up and exchanges salutes with the Tokkeitai officer, then speaks.

“I am Lieutenant Commander Ishii, captain of this ship,” he says in a slightly terse voice. “To what do I owe the honor of this visit?”

“I am Captain Hisoka Karubo,” replies the Tokko officer. “With me is Lieutenant Inaba.” He does not introduce the two pieces of muscle. Lieutenant Inaba bows slightly but offers no comment. Ishii notes that Inaba has positioned himself a little apart from the Tokko.

“We are here,” continues Karubo crisply, “to investigate a case of subversion and defeatism regarding one of your men, Captain. One Hikaru Shoji, to be precise.”

“Subversion?” asks Ishii in a low voice. He can feel anger begin to build and forces it down for the moment. Karubo nods but is spared reply by the arrival of Shoji himself. The sailor is still buttoning his jacket and approaches the group with obvious trepidation. Despite his nerves he comes quickly forward and offers a crisp salute.

"Leading Seaman Shoji reporting as ordered, sir,” says Shoji.

“Ah, Shoji,” says Captain Karubo. He reaches into his jacket and pulls out a letter, then hands it to the sailor. “Are you the one who wrote this letter?” Shoji takes the letter and looks at it.

“Yes sir,” he says in obvious confusion. “I wrote this to my sister last month. What is…” He is interrupted by Karubo reaching out and taking the letter back. Karubo reads from the letter.

“’I don’t think the fighting can last much longer,’” he reads. “’We are doing our best but the enemy is too strong. It is bitter to say but I think that we will be defeated before the year is over.’” The Tokko officer lowers the letter. “Captain Ishii, this kind of talk is defeatism at its worst. Left unchecked it can spread throughout a crew like a cancer. Wisdom dictates that we take this young man and assess his activities at length.”

Now the anger within Ishii is pulsing redly behind his eyes. He takes a long breath before replying.

“The course of wisdom,” he says, “is to leave this valuable crewman where he is so that he can continue to do what he has done for three and a half years, which is battle the enemy.” Shoji, who looks scared half to death, manages to notice his captain’s reference to him as “valuable.” He straightens slightly and squares his shoulders.

“In any event,” Ishii continues, “the Tokko is a civilian agency. You have no authority here.”

“You would be surprised where we have authority these days, Captain,” says Karubo silkily. “But just to make sure the niceties are observed we have Lieutenant Inaba, who does have authority here.” Lieutenant Inaba inclines his head slightly, though again he says nothing and shows no expression.

A small group of onlookers has gathered, though they keep a polite distance. Ishii sees that Shun, unobserved by the Tokko men, has come up along the rail and is standing quietly close by. His demeanor is casual but Ishii notes that he is just within arm’s reach of the two guards.

Ishii glances at Inaba. He knows that the Tokkeitai was formed in part to guard the Navy from interference by the Tokko and the Kempeitai, among others. He wonders what is actually going on to bring such an alliance aboard his ship. There are possibly deep waters here, waters he knows he would do well to understand better before doing something rash. The best course would be to turn Shoji over to these men and then secure his release as quickly as possible. He opens his mouth to give assent.

“I will see myself in hell before I let you take a loyal crewman off this ship on such a charge,” he finds himself saying instead. Kuwaki, standing nearby, twitches an eyebrow. Shun spreads his feet slightly apart and shifts his weight forward. Ishii is not sure, but he thinks Lieutenant Inaba smiles slightly. Captain Karubo’s mouth tightens into a thin line.

“Do not force me to arrest you as well, Ishii,” he says. Ishii folds his arms but says nothing. Karubo looks around. Hibiki’s men stand silently, watching. Karubo assesses the situation, then shrugs.

“So?” he says. “It is your funeral, Captain. Come,” he orders his men, then turns and climbs back down the ladder. Inaba salutes, his face impassive once again, and follows them. Below the boat’s engine roars into life and heads back towards shore. Ishii sees that Karubo is haranguing Inaba as they pull away.

Ishii lets out a long breath. The crew disperses without needing to be told, though there is much conversation among them.

“Sir…” begins Shoji. Ishii turns to him.

“You have nothing to apologize for, Seaman Shoji,” Ishii says to him, not unkindly. “Resume your duties.”

“Sir!” says Shoji, and salutes. He turns and trots away. Behind him Ishii walks to the rail and looks out towards shore.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4765
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/11/2009 8:24:00 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Oh, it looks nice enough. They went with a dragon design this time, he notes. But it is the lack of serial numbers that really catches his eye. It shows that the government has all but given up pretending that its military scrip has any real value. It can be used, in rapidly increasing quantities, to obtain goods and services anywhere in the Empire, but the merchants that receive it may as well be receiving piles of blank paper.

Kataoka is an accountant by profession, not an economist, but he knows enough about the subject to guess that Japan now stands on the edge of total economic collapse.

Yet another impressive vignette. I salute the way you show the early mood of invincibility slowly fading from the officers and crew.

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4766
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/11/2009 8:31:30 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

There are possibly deep waters here, waters he knows he would do well to understand better before doing something rash. The best course would be to turn Shoji over to these men and then secure his release as quickly as possible. He opens his mouth to give assent.

“I will see myself in hell before I let you take a loyal crewman off this ship on such a charge,” he finds himself saying instead.

As Shun said some time ago, Ishii occasionally shows more guts than sense . . .

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4767
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/11/2009 9:22:14 PM   
Canoerebel

Every now and then ordinary people create extraordinary things that manage to avoid all the "proper" channels and become popular hits with the public. There was, for instance, a church in Albany, Georgia, that produced the movie Facing the Giants that became immensely popular. And some of you may remember Blair Witch Project, a movie made by some college students with a video camera or two.

I see no reason that a story as fascinating, well-written, and well-researched like this one couldn't do the same. I actually haven't read the entire chronicle; I only started dabbling in it about four months ago, and have become a regular reader over the past month as it became obvious that the Hibiki was fighting a lost cause (something dear to the hearts of Southerners). But judging from what I've seen thus far, and the abundant praise given by others, I think it would have a chance.

I think the way to do it would be to find a smaller publisher willing to give it a shot on a smaller scale; then hope that word-of-mouth would generate such demand that it would sort of snowball.

That's just one man's idea, but Hibiki is really a treasure. It's hard to find a good read these days - at least, a good read not infected by vulgarity and sleaze.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/11/2009 9:23:00 PM >

Post #: 4768
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/12/2009 9:10:36 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 24, 1945

---

Captain Ishii is in the officer’s wardroom aboard heavy cruiser Tone. Also present are Rear Admiral Yamamoto, Captain Okada of Tone, Commander Ashida of Amagiri, and Commander Fujiwara, in charge of the base facilities at Hakodate. Ashida has a story very similar to Captain Ishii’s and Yamamoto has convened a meeting aboard his flagship to discuss the situation.

The five men are seated at the largest of several tables. You could drop Hibiki’s wardroom in here and never notice the missing space, Ishii thinks. Stewards clear away the remains of a fine meal and small cups of sake are poured. The social niceties out of the way, Yamamoto gets down to business.

“It is political,” Yamamoto tells them. “What has happened to you, Ashida, and you, Ishii, has occurred all over Japan over the last few days. Always it is Navy men who are accused. Many have been arrested and there has been trouble. Navy Guard troops marched on a prison in Yokahama yesterday and freed a dozen men at gunpoint. Shots were fired.”

The other officers give him their strict attention. Yamamoto takes a sip from his cup and resumes speaking.

“What is happening,” he says, “is that the Army fears they are losing their ability to control the course of the war. They think that Prime Minister Yonai may be on the verge of seeking peace. Thus they are attempting to discredit the Navy as defeatist so that they may move to resume power. Using the Kempei would be too obvious so they have drafted the Tokko into doing their dirty work for them.”

“What of the Tokkeitai?” asks Ashida. Ishii had been wondering the same thing. Yamamoto smiles slightly.

“So far their stance is to appear to cooperate while in reality doing as little as possible,” says Yamamoto. “In effect they are like a man attempting to appear to run very fast while remaining in the same spot.”

“What do we do, sir?” asks Ishii.

“We do not cooperate,” says Yamamoto shortly. “No more sailors are to be removed from their ships.” His mouth twists. Like his higher-ranking namesake, Yamamoto detests politics. “This is being addressed at the highest levels. With luck this clumsy attempt to make us all look like defeatists will be exposed for what it is.” He picks up a piece of paper and looks at Ishii.

“Lieutenant Commander,” he says, “I have here a request that you be arrested.” He tears the paper in two. “So much for that. I would not worry if I were you, Ishii. Your record in battle is well known and speaks for itself. I doubt very much that the Tokko will attempt to push the issue.”

"Thank you, sir," says Ishii.

“Sir,” asks Okada, “why do the Army ministers simply not resign, dissolving Yonai’s cabinet?”

“I’m not certain,” says Yamamoto. “It is rumored that the Emperor has made it clear that he wishes Yonai to remain in power. The Army may feel that this ploy of theirs is necessary to lay the groundwork before they make such a move.” This statement causes a stir among the other officers. For the Emperor to get involved in politics even to extent of expressing a strong opinion is very unusual.

“In the meantime,” Yamamoto concludes, “instruct your men to guard their thoughts even in their letters and casual conversations. Report any arrests to myself and Commander Fujiwara immediately. I believe we can bring enough pressure ashore to secure their release quickly.”

Commander Fujiwara nods. “I think we can, Admiral.”

“Army bastards,” mutters Okada. “It would be a great pity if one of Tone’s turrets accidentally discharged while aimed at their headquarters building.”

Yamamoto does not smile. “Pray that it does not come to that, Captain Okada,” he says gravely.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4769
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/12/2009 10:43:20 PM   
flaggelant

great writing,  as allways!

and again a new insight into the war

out of curiousity; did a similar situation really develope in the late years of the war?
(the storyline is so good that there's no telling if it could've been or not)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4770
Page:   <<   < prev  157 158 [159] 160 161   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  157 158 [159] 160 161   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI