Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: PBEM 109

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Opponents Wanted >> RE: PBEM 109 Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/7/2009 2:27:35 PM   
06 Maestro

That's it? Because of another game? I can't believe this ****. I'm out. There is no PW for Turkey-have fun.

Edit: A reminder to self; do not jump to conclusions-especialy online.

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 8/7/2009 11:29:52 PM >

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 421
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/7/2009 5:16:34 PM   
terje439

Sorry, got the reply earlier but work has been too much these last days
Seems it will be hard even longer (two more weeks). I am prepared to offer my seat here.

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 422
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/7/2009 9:36:37 PM   
IronWarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

That's it? Because of another game? I can't believe this ****. I'm out. There is no PW for Turkey-have fun.

I was kidding! Sorry, sometimes I think I'm the only one who finds me funny.

What shall we do then? With AE out and super-diplomats in this one, I have less motivation to make sure 8 players still want to continue. I'll send out next turn and if I get 7 back, I'll keep going.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 423
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/7/2009 11:11:05 PM   
Mus

I hope we continue playing. If there is some reason for the delay in your turn like extra work please just let us know.

Thanks.

Mindset, Tactics, Skill, Equipment
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

(in reply to IronWarrior)
Post #: 424
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/7/2009 11:27:20 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronWarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

I was kidding! Sorry, sometimes I think I'm the only one who finds me funny.

And I thought I had a dry sense of humor. Via the internet, sometimes it is not easy to "get it". All is good.

So, I'm in.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to IronWarrior)
Post #: 425
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/7/2009 11:50:06 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Sorry, got the reply earlier but work has been too much these last days
Seems it will be hard even longer (two more weeks). I am prepared to offer my seat here.

Terje

No need to apologize for a heavy work load-just let us know. This will happen to me next Jan through May a few times.
RL takes precedent-including chow time and rest.

I thought you were reeled into the world of the Pacific war and just left us hanging. You seem to be a dedicated player-I should not have made the assumption, but I did not "get" the joke.

Not that I'm a 'mono gamer"-almost the opposite, but I do feel that PBEM games should come first in gaming time.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 426
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/8/2009 8:42:47 AM   
terje439

Yeah, my big mistake was not getting to the PC and post about it, for that I am sorry indeed.
I will give a warning, this might happen again for the next two weeks, after that everyone has had their vacation and everything should settle down. I will however try to post if this happens.

And @06 Maestro, rest assured, pbem games comes first (well save work, sleep and eating).

Terje

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 427
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/8/2009 3:11:57 PM   
Anthropoid

Wow, you guys are like squabbling school girls arguing about whose got the cutest tea cups

My sense is that all of us in this match are some pretty committed gamers. It is not often you find a group of even 4 let alone 7 or 8 guys who will stick with a PBEM for even 20 or 30 turns let along ~100 or whatever it amounts to between this one and the various other ones ongoing that several of us are involved in. Even if we don't agree on some mid-stream house-rule changes, and even if some of us might be pretty frustrated at having our plans thwarted and our Empires "rocked" by our devious human opponents, I think we can all agree that this is a fun match we are embarked on, and it would be a shame to let it go down the drain. Am I wrong there?

I have been in a couple PBEMS that lasted a very long time. One of which had about 8 guys and lasted over two years. There were some sparks toward the end there as inevitable defeat became more inevitable, but overall we all got along famously. The key I think was that we were all patient while simultaneously being communicative and always _encouraging_ (not demanding) of keeping things going.

For me, my main problem is time. I'm coming to the realization that playing two PBEMS at once is really just a little too much for me, and on top of that, playing the same nation in the same scenario with many of the same forum members is just a wee-bit confusing.

But then, having two shots doubles my chances for ultimate victory I guess, eh!?

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 428
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/8/2009 4:14:46 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

Wow, you guys are like squabbling school girls arguing about whose got the cutest tea cups

It's not a matter of squabbling, its a matter of not wanting to be wasting time. Although I agree there are a good group of gamers here, and that things are going to happen over the long spell, if the game is not moving, it is frustrating.

This scenario will take at least 8 times longer to play MP vs SP. I consider the added value of MP mode to justify the extra time. There is a limit to the value of MP games though in my opinion. 8 months, perhaps 12 months of added scenario playing time is still worth it, but not 40 months. When it starts heading in that direction, it looks like a waste of time, not only because it is taking so long, but it is very unlikely that it will be completed.

We will all most likely be affected by RL during the next year which will interfere with gaming. No doubt that was expected by all. To know that a fellow player is still in the game-and interested-is not too much too ask.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 429
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/8/2009 4:22:24 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

But then, having two shots doubles my chances for ultimate victory I guess, eh!?

With two games, yes. With two shots of booze it may triple your chances and further justify your glorious cause.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 430
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/9/2009 11:26:49 PM   
Mus

Who is in and who are we waiting on?

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 431
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/10/2009 12:55:09 AM   
IronWarrior

aprezto was away this weekend, I think I'll get his file today as NZ is almost a day ahead of us.

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 432
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/10/2009 5:50:06 AM   
aprezto

War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. It has just been released by Matrix. Terje is playing a PBEM game an writing an AAR. Bill and I are also having a game. Good stuff so far 'Onward the mighty forces of Imperial Japan'!

Image courtesy of Divepac

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 433
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/10/2009 12:32:55 PM   
Anthropoid

So about this INSURRECTION thing . . . why exactly did we vote against a house rule against it? Or rather, who is the one who is intending to use their super-diplomats to wreck havoc? Com'n now, speak up, you know who you are

ADDIT: Just wrote this in the other thread (Another PBEM) so thought I might as well post it here too

quote:

I realize my initial response was undecided, and when I saw that Matto was pretty much opposed to it, my initial response was to be against such a house rule. But a couple things have changed in the week or so since the topic was first brought up.

First, there was that thread in which the game designer(s) (most notably Ericbabe) engaged with us in a dialogue about "how to fix it" in a future patch.

Second, I have seen how it works. This is not to say that I didn't 'trust' you guys who were speaking up about it, just that: until you SEE something yourself, it is hard to be as decisive about it.

I read in one of the other threads someone said something like "lets just play it as designed," which is a perfectly reasonable sentiment, provided that the game designer had the foresight to design it in a balanced way, and that the game designer still maintains with all available information that it remains "_the_ design."

Point one above shows that this is not the case. Ericbabe has acknowledged that there is an imbalance in how it works, at least in MP play, and indeed, from my perspective also in SP play. It is just simply too quick and easy to rip away large tracts of territory from other nations. Certainly insurrection should remain in the game, and should continue to be a viable strategy (provided a player focuses sufficiently on that strategy to magnify starting potentials) but I believe that at present, most of the problems are occuring with more-or-less the starting compliment of diplomats.

We've already had a vote and at least one (two?) players have stated that they are opposed to such a house rule, but I still think a bit more dialogue may be warranted. A couple additional ideas:

A) the real problem with the insurrections is that it is too easy to tear away whole nations, so one option would be if players must give a two-month advance warning BEFORE they move a diplomat into place to cause an insurrection. Given that the pro-insurrection fellows have disagreed to impose a house-rule it seems very unlikely that they will agree to this one, so one witih option (B)

B) if we rationalize what is happening with the game mechanics at present in terms of game role-play . . . this kind of massive shifting of whole nations one-way then the other is a bit of an exaggeration relative to real history, i.e., it is not very realistic. Granted it could have happened, but it likely didn't for two reasons: resources were not allocated that way, and also perhaps the international relations impact for the instigator nation might well have been very large. International relations at this time was after all, largely about "playing by the rules" even if those rules were "written" by the more powerful and imposed on the less.

So, an idea along these lines would be that, any time someone instigates a successful insurection in a posession of another player, the "victim" post here in this thread with the details of what happened, where, when, who, why, etc.

At that point, I would suggest that it become a topic of international discussion, and possibly a matter for cooperative punitive measures (e.g., breaking of trade, alliances, or even DoWs).

There seems to be a majority of us (at least 6 out of 8 isn't it?) who agree that the insurrection function in the game is imbalanced, and that some house-rules to at least moderate their use are warranted. While it would not be fair to impose new house-rules in mid-game and expect those in the minority to go along with them, it is nonetheless, TOTALLY fair for those of us in the majority to gangup on the "transgressors"

I don't think we need to be specific as a quorum about the details of what "ganging up on a transgressor" would comprise. We can cross those bridges when we come to them and decide as a group on a case-by-case basis. But I do think that we should see if we are in agreement on this general plan: Whenever anyone uses insurrection, there will be a public discusion, if not also private PMs and emails, and the possibility of cooperateively executed punitive measures against the insurrector may well be an outcome of such discussions.

If you are in agreement with Plan (B) please respond in this thread by saying "Yes to Plan B."

< Message edited by Anthropoid -- 8/10/2009 1:00:31 PM >

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 434
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/10/2009 6:08:50 PM   
06 Maestro

We had one player vote to keep it in. So, its 7 to one, but its in.

I agree that insurrections in Nations is far fetched. Perhaps we could come to an agreement that this assignment can only be used on small country's.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 435
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/10/2009 10:41:32 PM   
aprezto

Well certainly as the current holder of Bavaria insurrections are a very real threat. It basically makes the Bavarian army pointless. They must stay at home.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 436
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/11/2009 1:06:47 AM   
Mus

quote:

ORIGINAL: aprezto

Well certainly as the current holder of Bavaria insurrections are a very real threat. It basically makes the Bavarian army pointless. They must stay at home.

They don't have to stay at home. Contrary to what the manual says keeping Corps in an area doesnt actually seem to stop an insurrection. We saw countless insurrections in "Another PBEM" while huge forces were in the territories involved.

Anyways, regarding the house rule, it was decided to make the vote unanimous since we were already well into the game before discussion on it came up, and the vote failed.

Once we decided against adopting a rule - and because of that players built diplomats - I would be against a house rule, even though I was one of the ones pushing the hardest for it.

< Message edited by Mus -- 8/11/2009 1:09:20 AM >

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 437
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/11/2009 1:16:29 AM   
aprezto

Oh, I thought that insurrections were suppressed by armed forces.

So there is no defending against it. That seems a little unreal, governments don't appear to be that fragile.

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 438
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/11/2009 1:21:47 AM   
Mus

quote:

Oh, I thought that insurrections were suppressed by armed forces.

So there is no defending against it. That seems a little unreal, governments don't appear to be that fragile.

I agree, which is why I advocated adopting a rule in all the games I am in, unfortunately none of them adopted one.

There IS some defense however. A diplomat with a high legal rating stationary in friendly territory on capture/expel can do a decent job of kicking diplomats out of your territory.

And to reiterate my opposition to adopting a house rule at this point, it's 3 years in, textiles having been spent on courts and diplomats in many countries because of our official decision not to adopt the house rule when it was brought up, and it wouldn't be fair to change the rules once massive amounts of resources (400+ money and 100+ textiles just for 1 diplomat) have been spent.

So we know the theoretical defense to insurrections, we are kinda beta testing so we can tell WCS just how unbalanced it is so they can introduce a correction for it in the patch without nerfing it and making it useless.

quote:

ADDIT: Just wrote this in the other thread (Another PBEM) so thought I might as well post it here too

I replied in the other thread, but I will do so here as well so people not in that game will read my response.

I find this "Plan B" idea even more gamey than people overusing the insurrection tactic.

It isn't fair to penalize or conspire against players for using a tactic allowed in the game and not in violation of any house rule.

Furthermore, I have come to agree with Kingmaker in part that it's important to see just how unbalanced insurrection actually is and how effectively or ineffectively it can be defended against by using defensive diplomacy (capture/expel) so that WCS doesn't overcorrect the problem and make insurrection useless.

< Message edited by Mus -- 8/11/2009 1:38:42 AM >

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 439
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/11/2009 11:29:11 AM   
terje439

quote:

War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. It has just been released by Matrix. Terje is playing a PBEM game an writing an AAR. Bill and I are also having a game. Good stuff so far 'Onward the mighty forces of Imperial Japan'!

I'm actually DOWN two pbems since this game started
Now all I do is
1xWitp
1xWitp:AE
1xFoF
2xCoG:EE

Guess I need to start some more soon.

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 440
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/11/2009 1:02:39 PM   
Anthropoid

quote:

It isn't fair to penalize or conspire against players for using a tactic allowed in the game and not in violation of any house rule.

How so!?

I mean, that is what PBEMs are all about right? Conspiring, back-stabbing, taunting a secund timah.

In real life, if the Pasha of Turkey spent hundreds of thousands florins and deployed the full-might of his diplomatic assets to tear away an entire nation from another European leader, i.e., black ops "conquesting" of a sort, what would the consequence have been?

If those target nations could not respond with equivalent diplomatic retaliation, they would have responded with military or economic. Moreover, they would have tried to form an alliance to assist them.

Its not gamey to discuss prospective alliances "ganging up" on other nations because they have done something to upset the balance of power or "broken the rules" of international relations. The argument that this is a mid-game issue may be a valid reason to let the house rule for moratoriums on insurrections lie, but it is NOT an argument against an international quorum to form an alliance to punish insurrectors. None of us could foresee that the contemporary historical national assets (read game mechanics) would allow for this sort of abuse of international relations. Now that it has occurred, and there has been an international discussion about it, a majority opinion has been reached: the use of diplomatic assets to invoke insurrections in the minor national posessions of major nations is a breach of the spirit of international law, even if it does technically fall within the boundaries of said law.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 441
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/11/2009 4:21:09 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

How so!?

I mean, that is what PBEMs are all about right? Conspiring, back-stabbing, taunting a secund timah.

In real life, if the Pasha of Turkey spent hundreds of thousands florins and deployed the full-might of his diplomatic assets to tear away an entire nation from another European leader, i.e., black ops "conquesting" of a sort, what would the consequence have been?

If those target nations could not respond with equivalent diplomatic retaliation, they would have responded with military or economic. Moreover, they would have tried to form an alliance to assist them.

Hey, there is only one diplomat working on insurrection. The Sultan just wants to know if it works-there are no malicious designs. A small, backward, out of the way country which The O.E. has no interests in seemed like a good place for the test. If the test could be conducted in the Mariana's, he would be sent there, but it is not so Bavaria will have to do.

After the test is complete there will be no further such efforts. However, the O.E. will retain this capability as a legitament response to any power that attempts that same use inside of the O.E. I hope it never comes to that.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 442
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/11/2009 5:05:07 PM   
Anthropoid

Makes me think of Mutually Assured Destruction and the nuke arms race of the 21st century

That right there says there is something not quite right with how the Insurrection function works in-game.

I see from the Events in the last turn that who ever was the first to strike has opened Pandora's proverbial box, and virtually everyone seems to have jumped on the Insurrector bandagon, making my call to censure those who engaged in such dastardly practices ring on all the more deaf of ears.

Well you guys just go right ahead and knock yourselves out!

Can't we all just get along?!?

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 443
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/11/2009 6:43:28 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

Can't we all just get along?!?

That's all I want to do. However, experimentation must go forward so long as it does not hurt anyone (too badly). Besides, who really cares about Bavaria?

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 444
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/11/2009 10:21:36 PM   
aprezto

Very good points all. I mean how do you know, I mean 'really' know, your nuclear weapon works unless you test one?
And just in case they do work, it's better to find a place aaaallllooooonnnnggg way from home to let them off, I mean your populace is probably going to be pretty unhappy having them light off in their backyard.
Better then, by far to let them off in someone elses backyard. They wont mind if your engineers just happened to read the manual right will they?

There is no way you'd incur their eternal condemnation and hostility if the damnable thing actually worked would there?

It was only a test after all... I mean its what friends call a little 'joke'. The kind of one that's funny when you're really drunk.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 445
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/11/2009 11:35:48 PM   
Mus

quote:

Its not gamey to discuss prospective alliances "ganging up" on other nations because they have done something to upset the balance of power or "broken the rules" of international relations.

Disagree to an extent, because you are trying to artificially create alliances ahead of timeover a tactic everyone is free to engage in, but I get your point about alliances to effect this that or the other thing. Again, as I said in the "Another PBEM" thread, I will eagerly await Russia taking action against Turkey and France in that game, the worst offenders when it comes to insurrections.

I suspect this is more of an effort for Russia to stir up trouble for other people and then sit behind her low forage level province "shield" and not suffer any of the consequences. If you took the lead in any coalition effort to "punish" an insurrection starting country I would be shocked.

< Message edited by Mus -- 8/11/2009 11:40:32 PM >

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 446
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/12/2009 1:38:03 AM   
Anthropoid

quote:

took the lead in any coalition effort to "punish" an insurrection starting country I would be shocked.

Ummm? . . . isn't that what I was trying to do in my first post on the topic?

I guess if I'm going to be the U.N. Secretary General here, I need to know the facts . . .

So far, this match is still pretty young. Can I get an exact timeline of who has given Insurrection orders so far (forum name and nation as well as location of insurrection) and where Insurrections have happened?

While your claim that "France and Turkey are the worst offenders" might be compelling to you, I'd like to know a bit more details about who, when, where, and if possible why before I (as one of the few nations not involved in the insurrection-contest) start to act as mediator.

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 447
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/12/2009 2:25:40 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

There is no way you'd incur their eternal condemnation and hostility if the damnable thing actually worked would there?

I certainly hope not. If someone does get slightly burned in the test, the Sultan would insist on sending a few jars of spice to sooth the wounds.

I'm anxious to see the fireworks-where is the turn?

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 448
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/12/2009 3:02:49 AM   
IronWarrior

Looks like I need Sweden's turn. I think this is the first time he's been last to send the file.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 449
RE: PBEM 109 - 8/12/2009 11:09:23 PM   
Mus

quote:

Ummm? . . . isn't that what I was trying to do in my first post on the topic?

I meant by actually doing something about it in game. I said you would be willing to make noise and cause trouble (what you have already done) I just doubt you will put your money where your mouth is.

quote:

I guess if I'm going to be the U.N. Secretary General here, I need to know the facts . . .

That's a good analogy. UN Secretary General. All bark, no bite.

quote:

While your claim that "France and Turkey are the worst offenders" might be compelling to you, I'd like to know a bit more details about who, when, where, and if possible why before I (as one of the few nations not involved in the insurrection-contest) start to act as mediator.

That was in regard to "Another PBEM" not this game. So far there has been very few insurrection attempts in PBEM 109.

Anyways, WHO Are we waiting on for turn merge in this one?

< Message edited by Mus -- 8/12/2009 11:15:29 PM >

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Opponents Wanted >> RE: PBEM 109 Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI