Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

korsun pocket won't play on vista

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> korsun pocket won't play on vista Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
korsun pocket won't play on vista - 8/23/2009 2:06:26 AM   
edharrison

I have two questions. I have a desktop Dell Inspiron 530 with 32 bit Vista Home Premium OS.

1. I installed Korsun Pocket to the desktop computer. When I click "play korsun pocket" I get a message box saying "Korsun has stopped working", "windows is checking for a solution to the problem." A second dialog box then appears that says "Korsun has stopped working", " A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." I got nothing from MS.
I have installed korsun pocket from the original disc twice. I have discovered while exploring the korsun pocket file that the following files are missing the extensions:
.exe-- Korsun, application; Korsun editor, application; start, application; True update, application; and XcRcomp, application
.bmp-- irunin, bitmap image
.ini--irunin, configuration settings.
The shortcut under properties shows the target as "C:\matrixgames\korsun pocket\start.exe
I have the compatibility tab unchecked. Changing it to win xp makes no difference. Changing it to win 95 brings up a dos screen.
I also have the game loaded onto a laptop that has win xp as its OS. The game plays well on the laptop. I compared the laptop and desktop file screens to come up with the discrepancies noted above regarding the missing file extensions.

2. I have digitally downloaded Across the Dnepr add-on onto my desktop. When I try to install it I get a message box that says "Wrong Version Number", " You don't have v1.10 of korsun pocket installed (I have 1.00). Please install v1.10 first, then install the across the dnepr add-on.
In the Matrix games member club page I note that korsun pocket does not have an update. However, I do see some patches that are available for korsun pocket. Are these the fixes I need to download to get me to version 1.10?
Post #: 1
RE: korsun pocket won't play on vista - 8/23/2009 3:51:58 AM   
jjdenver

I can run Korsun Pocket and ATD on a Vista 32 laptop from Dell. I can't run it on a Vista 64 laptop that I have. However I don't think Vista is the problem - rather I think it's my video drivers. I experience the same symptoms you describe.

As for patches you might want to check SSG's web site at www.ssg.com/au. I think I patched my Korsun pocket install but i can't recall where I got the patch from. If you can't find it on this matrix Korsun forum I'd try SSG. There are also a lot of scenarios available there.

(in reply to edharrison)
Post #: 2
RE: korsun pocket won't play on vista - 8/24/2009 9:52:19 PM   
htuna

how is this game, has it survived the years? worth a purchase?

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 3
RE: korsun pocket won't play on vista - 8/25/2009 2:06:57 PM   
jjdenver

I think it's worth it. I like the Across the Dniepr scenario for it. There are also a bunch of other scenarios on run5's site for download and you can find opponents for PBEM there.

Because of the way SSG has built their games there is no backward compatibility for user-made scenarios so you might want to check out the user-created scenarios before deciding which to purchase. Probably the most popular is Battles in Italy I think, 2nd is probably Battles in Normany, then Korsun Pocket, then Kharkov. I own all but Normandy and like them all although Kharkov I haven't tried PBEM yet - it's quite a bit different than the other 3 and I rank it last since it feels more tactical than operational.

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 8/25/2009 2:08:45 PM >

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> korsun pocket won't play on vista Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI