Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/21/2009 10:17:53 PM   
Dukemourn

When you post the lists of changes for the patches can you put an asterisk or something next to any fixes that require a restart? This would go a long way in helping us decide if we wish to restart.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 61
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/22/2009 2:54:25 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dukemourn

When you post the lists of changes for the patches can you put an asterisk or something next to any fixes that require a restart? This would go a long way in helping us decide if we wish to restart.

No fixes will "require" a restart. Whether to restart or not, is a player decision. Some fixes may not take effect without a restart - but at least this patch (as is true with all WITP patches this team has ever done) will not "require" a restart.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Dukemourn)
Post #: 62
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/22/2009 3:34:36 AM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: fbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

Play till the patch comes out to truly find out HOW the game is played.  Then restart once the first patch comes out.  I lost count of the number of times I restarted WITP.

Or do like me and study every single little thing there is to study on the Dec 8, 1941 turn. I plan on not going past the first turn by the time when the patch comes, hahahaha

fbs

I'm with you here and I am doing the same, but, for me, I won't try a serious stab at the game until after Patch 2. Until then anything done is futile. It may not bother some to to start over and over and over again but I learned my lesson with my favorite WITP mod RHS.

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 63
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/22/2009 3:36:25 AM   
Sardaukar

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 64
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/22/2009 3:58:39 AM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Obviously you disagree with my approach. Cool. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream and different size shoes. You do what you want Dude.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 65
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/22/2009 8:13:38 AM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

quote:

Obviously you disagree with my approach. Cool. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream and different size shoes. You do what you want Dude.

Nah, just that they have repeatedly said they try to make patches so they do not require re-start. AFAIK, some things might need you to restart the game to have them implemented, but I don't think there was ever even WitP patch that REQUIRED player to do restart. One could play game just fine, but some database changes could be implemented only with new start of scenario. Patch 1.6. comes to my mind.

Sorry if I appeared bit insulting!

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 66
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/22/2009 12:59:41 PM   
Hanzberger

quote:

Good Idea, should be for all patches.

(in reply to Dukemourn)
Post #: 67
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/22/2009 3:27:33 PM   
Buck Beach

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nah, just that they have repeatedly said they try to make patches so they do not require re-start. AFAIK, some things might need you to restart the game to have them implemented, but I don't think there was ever even WitP patch that REQUIRED player to do restart. One could play game just fine, but some database changes could be implemented only with new start of scenario. Patch 1.6. comes to my mind.

I guess I should have stated in my response to fbs that I am only an AI player where patches do have a greater impact.

< Message edited by Buck Beach -- 8/22/2009 3:35:19 PM >

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 68
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/22/2009 3:31:06 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

No fixes will "require" a restart. Whether to restart or not, is a player decision. Some fixes may not take effect without a restart - but at least this patch (as is true with all WITP patches this team has ever done) will not "require" a restart.

Just curious, but is that due to the fact you guys made such a strong effort to "non-hard-code" so many of the AE changes? Even pulling things OUT of the original WitP engine and making them accessible through editable files?

As to Duke's request, I think what he's really asking is this - Can the change list indicate which ones would not take effect without a restart?

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 69
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/23/2009 2:47:08 PM   
Hanzberger

As I am still going over the map and manuel, I am still waiting to even start a game because I am afraid of a 'patch requiring a restart'.

Please, PLease, if you guys think that there may be changes requiring a restart, please focus on that part first.

And if you think your changes will not require a restart but may effect game play in a somewhat dramatic way, Please include them in the first patch.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 70
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/23/2009 3:01:55 PM   
tigercub

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes Sardaukar they don`t require a restart after but it will not help you if the CL Bose or some other ship blows away a fleet because of the ship battle bug,applying a patch will not refloat your boat.

So a few other wise people and I play waiting game for the War to begin!

Tiger!

< Message edited by tigercub -- 8/24/2009 1:15:36 PM >

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 71
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/23/2009 3:33:53 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

As I am still going over the map and manuel, I am still waiting to even start a game because I am afraid of a 'patch requiring a restart'.

Start up the Aleutians scenario. It has minimal forces and can be played very quickly. And when the patch come tomorrow, ditch your game and start over. It'll be painless.

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 72
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/23/2009 4:01:39 PM   
Hanzberger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

Start up the Aleutians scenario. It has minimal forces and can be played very quickly. And when the patch come tomorrow, ditch your game and start over. It'll be painless.

didn't know there was one LOL I am still going thru the manuel and actually hoping to take on a human once the first and possibly the second patches are released.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 73
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/23/2009 4:35:15 PM   
jwilkerson

Current (revised as of 23 August) schedule:

patch01 - public pre-release week of 24 Aug ... real public release ... week of 31 Aug ... change list will be in both pre-release and real release.

patch02 - target date roughly - end of Oct 09.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 74
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/23/2009 5:19:39 PM   
kaleun

Thanks. Mmmm, wonder what this will do for my 2 campaign PBEM games.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 75
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/23/2009 5:49:18 PM   
DrewMatrix

One huge advantage of playing vs the AI is that my opponent won't complain if I start over <G>.

I plan to continue my current GC (Allies vs AI, Scen 6 but I'll probably do Scen 2, HI next time) but play much faster for the next week, ignoring small stuff and seeing how a few things work out, mostly production and repair rates. That should get me to Apr or May 42 by the time the patch is out. Then I likely will start over not just for the patch, but because I didn't understand a number of things.

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 76
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/23/2009 11:54:37 PM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beezle

One huge advantage of playing vs the AI is that my opponent won't complain if I start over <G>.

I plan to continue my current GC (Allies vs AI, Scen 6 but I'll probably do Scen 2, HI next time) but play much faster for the next week, ignoring small stuff and seeing how a few things work out, mostly production and repair rates. That should get me to Apr or May 42 by the time the patch is out. Then I likely will start over not just for the patch, but because I didn't understand a number of things.

Nor if you go back to an earlier save and play do overs. It's only cheating when you have an opponent or a prize for winning a game.

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 77
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/24/2009 12:03:43 AM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

Thanks. Mmmm, wonder what this will do for my 2 campaign PBEM games.

Nothing if you don't mind a game that is flawed. Please I'm not complaining about the original release. It occurs with all new games during the real consumer test phase If you and your opponent enjoy investing weeks, months, years, all the while knowing the current product is better, just remember that "no restarts are required (except for AI games) " per the management.

< Message edited by Buck Beach -- 8/24/2009 12:04:25 AM >

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 78
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/24/2009 1:19:47 AM   
fbs

quote:

patch01 - public pre-release week of 24 Aug

Yay, now is Aug 23 20:21 PM... only 3 hours 39 minutes to the patch! I'll stay awake

Cheers
fbs

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 79
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/24/2009 4:44:16 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

quote:

Yay, now is Aug 23 20:21 PM... only 3 hours 39 minutes to the patch! I'll stay awake

Cheers
fbs

Not sure how you are calculating - the "week of" (note I boldified "week of") means any time that week. At this point, I would estimate we about about 3 days away from the "public beta" - note this is not "the patch" ... I still think that will be "week of 31 August" as I said earlier.

We have spent most of the weekend working on the patch rather than posting about working on the patch. We have a pile of stuff that will be in the patch, the list will be included in the public beta.

We've done some tweaking on surface combat.
For AE we had added in a "wipe out" capability that was missing in WITP. Basically in WITP, a large surface force of BB, CA, CL and DD, could enter a landing hex containing 20 AP/AK and wind up only getting maybe 4 of them. We thought there should be a chance of getting more - maybe even all of them if the conditions were optimal. For most of the past 9 months or so, this feature seemed to work fine. You would get something more than 4 ships some times .. but sometimes some would get away ... then all of a sudden, right at the end, some "unintended consequences" crep in - and the wipe outs started happening more often than we desired. This has now been adjusted back. There is still the chance of a wipe out, but it will not be happening all over the map every turn.

A similar symptom - but caused by a completely different issue - was wipe outs of surface TFs operating at "cruise" speed found this weekend by "Barb" (thanks Barb !!!) - we've addressed that issue as well.

Early war radar has also been toned down a bit - it will no longer give its owners as much of an advantage. There will be an effectiveness roll, not only representing possible malfunction of the radar, but perhaps more the (in) ability to assimilate the information from the radar, into the TF command and then generate useful orders back to the TF elements in a timely manner. Early war battles involving radar included a learning curve that was not sufficiently represented in AE, now we think it will be.

Well there are literally over a hundred changes, surface combat tweaks just topping my personal list since I've been working in that area this weekend, but by roughly Thursday (plus or minus one day) we should be able to post the public beta of patch 01 ... followed about a week later by the actual patch 01.

Thanks for your support and patience. This forum has definitely helped us focus on the priorities and this will result in a better AE for everyone!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 80
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/24/2009 4:48:07 AM   
rockmedic109

YAAAYYYYY!!

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 81
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/24/2009 4:48:41 AM   
Kull

quote:

quote:

Cheers
fbs

Actually in "3 hours 39 minutes", the devs will have up to 7-days to release the patch. Hopefully they cram in as many fixes as possible during that time frame, because the next one isn't until October. Just guessing here, but the only changes between the public beta patch and the "offical" release will be fixes to new, patch-caused issues that surface during testing of the public beta.

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 82
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/24/2009 4:51:36 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull
Just guessing here, but the only changes between the public beta patch and the "offical" release will be fixes to new, patch-caused issues that surface during testing of the public beta.

Well that's the theory according to "Change Management 401" - but in this universe - hard and fast rules are not so hard and fast. If anyone finds a "show stopper" we won't be able to push out fixing it. So shall we say "patch induced issues" and any "show stopper" regardless.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 83
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/24/2009 5:07:24 AM   
Kull

quote:

Well that's the theory according to "Change Management 401" - but in this universe - hard and fast rules are not so hard and fast. If anyone finds a "show stopper" we won't be able to push out fixing it. So shall we say "patch induced issues" and any "show stopper" regardless.

Good plan. And if even if (when) one surfaces after the official release, well.....that's what hot-fixes are for!

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 84
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/24/2009 5:33:12 AM   
fbs

quote:

Not sure how you are calculating - the "week of" (note I boldified "week of") means any time that week. At this point, I would estimate we about about 3 days away from the "public beta" - note this is not "the patch" ... I still think that will be "week of 31 August" as I said earlier.

Wohoo! That's very much appreciate, Mr. Wilkerson!

That's really awesome - 31 minutes into the week and we already have a description of several items in the patch. Very nice. I just wished that my car mechanic were that fast - with him, "next week" kinda means "someday next 3 months".. :(

Thank you!
fbs

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 85
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/24/2009 6:02:06 AM   
Caltone

quote:

Well there are literally over a hundred changes, surface combat tweaks just topping my personal list since I've been working in that area this weekend, but by roughly Thursday (plus or minus one day) we should be able to post the public beta of patch 01 ... followed about a week later by the actual patch 01.

Thanks for your support and patience. This forum has definitely helped us focus on the priorities and this will result in a better AE for everyone!

Great news, thanks to the entire team for all the hard work!

(Except for that guy Sonny II, my bet is he's up to no good, finding ways to foil my plans for East Asia Domination)

"Order AP Hill to prepare for battle" -- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 86
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/24/2009 9:43:47 AM   
BShaftoe

quote:

Early war radar has also been toned down a bit - it will no longer give its owners as much of an advantage. There will be an effectiveness roll, not only representing possible malfunction of the radar, but perhaps more the (in) ability to assimilate the information from the radar, into the TF command and then generate useful orders back to the TF elements in a timely manner. Early war battles involving radar included a learning curve that was not sufficiently represented in AE, now we think it will be.

That sounds really great... but... are british ships object to the same roll? I mean, British Royal Navy had demonstrated they knew how to use radar (Matapan as the most obvious example). Do they suffer the same lack of efectivity as, let's say, US Navy?

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 87
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/24/2009 9:47:51 AM   
tigercub

Good work! thanks, will there be list of whats in patch 2 when you release patch 1 ?

Tiger!

< Message edited by tigercub -- 8/24/2009 1:31:09 PM >

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to Caltone)
Post #: 88
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/24/2009 2:09:43 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: tigercub

Good work! thanks, will there be list of whats in patch 2 when you release patch 1 ?

As mentioned previously, the only item in the plan for patch 02 is the implementation of "borders" - other than that - it will depend on what issues are discovered.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 89
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/24/2009 2:16:54 PM   
John Lansford

Radar presence and its use was often ignored by USN TF commanders unless the device was in his flagship, and even then it wasn't always trusted.  There were several night battles around Guadalcanal in 1942 where the flagship didn't have radar installed but other ships did, leading to some very confused and bloody battles.  I'd like it if the lack of radar in a TF's flagship would limit its effectiveness in battle even if other ships had it.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI