Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu'

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/25/2009 8:32:43 PM   
TheBigRedOne

Done.

http://tfe4.wordpress.com/

(in reply to TheBigRedOne)
Post #: 31
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/26/2009 12:24:27 AM   
Mike Cox

Love the ASL graphics mod.  I might have to make a hybrid of the stock and the mod.  (I like the new Trench graphics introduced with DBP.)  The houses are fantastic though!

Thanks for the mod.

(BTW, if you have SB:Tour of Duty, I made a set of scenarios released on the HPS site as well as Task Force Echo 4)

Mike

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 32
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/26/2009 8:48:47 AM   
eastwindrain

This is hopefully what these games need to spark an interest from other players, the game engine speeds smoothly thro the general game play, I cannot remember ever having a problem.
Must admit the new ASL graphic counter mod completely renews my interest and I've actually completed my first HUGE scenario.
Hope " E " continues to mod or should I say upgrade the remaining games to this new standard.

I've just downloaded TheBigRedOne graphics mod, we are spoilt for choice, I might try some " mix and match ".

(in reply to Mike Cox)
Post #: 33
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/26/2009 2:13:55 PM   
TheBigRedOne

What I'd like to find out is the limitations that are stated within the file folders, and how do they affect the game?  Not being an ASL guy, I prefer the normal graphics, or applying the graphic files from IronX's RSoE modification. 

Here is what the file claims.  To me #1 is the biggest one because most folks who have had the games for a long while have done some sort of additions to the game.  Very few people I know play the bare-bones stock versions.

1. This graphics mod is setup for the default installation of the game
with no prior user modifications and/or additions.

2. Tradeoffs had to be made due to the way the Squad Battles series of
games choose graphics. Pretty much anytime you see a white or grey
background for graphics, it is either due to the graphics being shared
or to lessen the impact of other shared graphics. If it’s a real problem,
you can always restore all of your original graphics.

3.  Several default scenarios in Pacific War have some real problems in
how less common forces’ unit foregrounds and backgrounds are chosen.
Some serious mixing and not matching going on (for an example see the
scenario Enemy of the People).  If this is a major problem for you,
either fix the scenarios using the editors or avoid those scenarios or
just restore everything in your INFO directory.

The Blitz Squad Battles Forum/Ladder Co-Commander

http://tfe4.wordpress.com/

(in reply to eastwindrain)
Post #: 34
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/26/2009 3:04:15 PM   
E

< Message edited by E -- 8/26/2009 5:50:59 PM >

Post #: 35
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/26/2009 4:06:33 PM   
TheBigRedOne

E

The three examples I gave in italics are lifted directly from the zipped folder that you sent me, I did not write them. I did include them on the post as a way of giving folks a heads-up with regards to their being some limitations to the modification to be aware of, in case they opted not to read the text file included (which I've found to be true in many cases).

Limitations always exist with graphics mods, but this mod has a little more in the way of potential quirks, especially if you have other modifications in place, as the disclaimer states. If you take a look around TFE4, you'll find a host of graphics/sound mods for each of the games you sent the ASL modification for, thus the potential exists for incompatibility. I was merely making folks aware of this potential, and was not meant to be a condemnation as you seem to be taking it as. My apologies.

With all mods, people need to weigh the pros/cons and possible limitations. #3 on that list was the biggest, to be honest. When someone states at certain scenarios might need to be skipped due to quirkiness of the system, it needs to be mentioned as a possible issue, nothing more. Again, I didn't write that disclaimer, it came with the files.

There is a really nice post over on the Blitz that shows a mix and match screenshot using the ASL counters with other graphics modifications. It looks really nice.

http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=52662&pid=302677&#pid302677

< Message edited by TheBigRedOne -- 8/26/2009 4:30:37 PM >

(in reply to E)
Post #: 36
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/26/2009 4:33:26 PM   
eastwindrain

Works fine for me !!!

Have done some mix and match too suit my taste but only replaced 8 of the basic game files to give me this result.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowlander -- 8/26/2009 4:36:28 PM >

Post #: 37
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/26/2009 5:50:23 PM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheBigRedOne

Here is what the file claims. To me #1 is the biggest one...

quote:

With all mods, people need to weigh the pros/cons and possible limitations. #3 on that list was the biggest, to be honest.

*sigh* I give. You're right. You win. No argument from me. I'm saying "uncle!" It's all me. All my fault. Apologies for worrying you. I'm sorry. Egg on my face. Tail between my legs. Apologies for taking offense at the original wording on your site. I was wrong...

PLEASE delete them.

My SINCERE apologies to the Original Poster for the thread hijack and to Matrix (even though you guys have always been cool about HPS talk around here).

And my apologies to anyone who didn't realize that "If it’s a real problem, you can always restore all of your original graphics." from #2 implied you should backup your directory before installing.

(However, I don't apologize to those who did backup their directory or just installed a clean copy of the game to a different directory to try this... you guys have obviously tried mods before! *grin*)

Post #: 38
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/26/2009 6:04:04 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowlander

Sorry not for sale especially with this game transforming mod by E lurking on the horizon.
Must admit I'm well into AE but these games are good for a change of pace.

Why don't you continue to watch e-bay as games keep popping up.
But you will have to compete with me for Winter War and The Spanish Civil War.

Not sure if you have it but I've done two SB conversions using PanzerCommand Kharkov. One was Capture of Balta, the other was Hedgehog of Piepsk. Balta map was just an approximation. Piepsk map was a pretty close to a 3D rendering of the squad battle Board.

Working on Hill 621 conversion, which i will hold until after lastest patch is out.

(I also have both Eagle stirke and BTR) so i'm going to look at these mods. SB series was enjoyable.

Rick

< Message edited by Rick -- 8/26/2009 6:05:24 PM >

Post #: 39
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/26/2009 8:35:42 PM   
Mike Cox

E -

I think you misunderstood Alan's point, I don't think he was meaning to be critical or harsh. 

In any case, the mod is good, graphics modders are good.  I like the look.  Thanks again for your work.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 40
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/26/2009 8:41:19 PM   
eastwindrain

Rick that is amazing how I chose to play The Capture of Balta scenario when I installed these graphics.
Was riveted from start to finish, really enjoyed the fusion of your scenario with -E's ASL mod,thanks guys.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 41
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/26/2009 10:42:46 PM   
rickier65

quote:

Rick that is amazing how I chose to play The Capture of Balta scenario when I installed these graphics.
Was riveted from start to finish, really enjoyed the fusion of your scenario with -E's ASL mod,thanks guys.

sorry but it wasnt my scenario - my Balta scenario was for PCK. though i'm going to download his as well and play it with the mod for SB.

Rick

< Message edited by Rick -- 8/26/2009 10:45:02 PM >

Post #: 42
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/27/2009 2:25:40 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: E

quote:

Here is what the file claims. To me #1 is the biggest one...

quote:

With all mods, people need to weigh the pros/cons and possible limitations. #3 on that list was the biggest, to be honest.

*sigh* I give. You're right. You win. No argument from me. I'm saying "uncle!" It's all me. All my fault. Apologies for worrying you. I'm sorry. Egg on my face. Tail between my legs. Apologies for taking offense at the original wording on your site. I was wrong...

PLEASE delete them.

My SINCERE apologies to the Original Poster for the thread hijack and to Matrix (even though you guys have always been cool about HPS talk around here).

And my apologies to anyone who didn't realize that "If it’s a real problem, you can always restore all of your original graphics." from #2 implied you should backup your directory before installing.

(However, I don't apologize to those who did backup their directory or just installed a clean copy of the game to a different directory to try this... you guys have obviously tried mods before! *grin*)

I have no clue what you guys are talking about E but it shows a lot of character when someone can apologize for something done wrong. The Matrix community is why I have stuck around for the last 4 years. You guys rock.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to E)
Post #: 43
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/27/2009 11:26:39 AM   
eastwindrain

People who mod games and share their work with the gaming community don't receive the recognition that they truly deserve, I salute you all.
I have nothing but admiration for you guys, we are so lucky to live in the modern age, so don't argue just enjoy the enhanced gaming experience.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 44
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/27/2009 11:56:55 AM   
E

(I've *PLONKED* myself!)

< Message edited by E -- 8/28/2009 5:51:20 AM >

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 45
'Dien Bien Phu' Movie - 8/30/2009 12:16:11 AM   
JRodda

Anyone seen this French movie made in the 90's about the battle of Dien Bien Phu?

http://www.amazon.fr/Di%C3%AAn-Bi%C3%AAn-Phu-Patrick-Catalifo/dp/B00023B0PY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1251587613&sr=8-1

The reviews seem very good, and one person went so far as to call it an artistic interpretation akin to how the great Stanley Kubrick might have done it.

I'm also wondering if this DVD would be playable on my US player?

Cheers.

(in reply to JRodda)
Post #: 46
RE: 'Dien Bien Phu' Movie - 8/30/2009 12:22:59 AM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: JRodda

I'm also wondering if this DVD would be playable on my US player?

Cheers.

likely would NOT be playable on your US DVD player. Most commercial DVD's are Region coded, and the players are specific to your Region. There are exceptions, but generally that is the case.

Rick

(in reply to JRodda)
Post #: 47
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/30/2009 1:02:01 AM   
JRodda

Thanks Rick for the reply on the DVD format compatibility. If I decide to purchase the DVD, perhaps I could find a local service that can convert it.

FYI all, I'm up to the 30th March (1954) assault on the French 'Dominique' fortifications at Dien Bien Phu. As you can see from the attached screen shot, the Viet Minh 'Zerg rush' is in full swing!!!

Concerning the intense and engaging gaming experience that is John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu', I'm reminded of something 'Mars' Robert said after the battle of Fredricksburg: "It is well that war is so terrible. We should grow too fond of it."

Attachment (1)

Post #: 48
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/30/2009 10:53:43 AM   
eastwindrain

For anyone living in the USA who is interested in this game, it's on special offer at J&R MUSIC AND COMPUTER WORLD for $24 but unfortunately for me they don't post worldwide. Sorry I've lost the link.

(in reply to JRodda)
Post #: 49
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/30/2009 10:13:42 PM   
invernomuto

Squad battles serie seems a damn good game to me and I've heard some very good reviews.
I wonder WHY HPS does not offer digital download for their games.

Post #: 50
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/30/2009 10:17:13 PM   
V22 Osprey

quote:

ORIGINAL: invernomuto

Squad battles serie seems a damn good game to me and I've heard some very good reviews.

$$$

Don't forget HPS is even smaller than Matrix, and they are finally updating their games to have no CD-checks anyway.Though DD makes alot more sense, because they don't even have printed manuals, which is one of the reasons I get boxed copies from Matrix anyway.

< Message edited by V22 Osprey -- 8/30/2009 10:18:50 PM >

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 51
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/31/2009 4:29:36 AM   
Ketza

quote:

ORIGINAL: invernomuto

If they had DD I would have bought a dozen games from them by now.

I am one of those "instant satisfaction" american types

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 52
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/31/2009 6:55:48 AM   
E

quote:

For anyone living in the USA who is interested in this game, it's on special offer at J&R MUSIC AND COMPUTER WORLD for $24 but unfortunately for me they don't post worldwide. Sorry I've lost the link.

NWS Online gives such good service, and has consistently supported our niche and favorite companies/programs, I'd be tempted to go with them even if at a $5 higher price (assuming they can't price match, which could be tough at that price). (Nothing bad against J&R... I bought something from them in the 80's with no problems. And you'll get a catalog from them for around 10 years!)

Post #: 53
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/31/2009 8:55:23 PM   
noxious

quote:

NWS Online gives such good service, and has consistently supported our niche and favorite companies/programs, I'd be tempted to go with them even if at a $5 higher price (assuming they can't price match, which could be tough at that price). (Nothing bad against J&R... I bought something from them in the 80's with no problems. And you'll get a catalog from them for around 10 years!)

I guess no one is buying direct from HPS at nearly double the price...
That's one thing I still don't get with small devs selling direct at outrageous prices compared to other e-vendors : sell it the same price as they do, you still make more money that way, instead of only getting a cut from third party sellers. Plus no hard feeling from customers feeling ripped off from wanting to support the product directly...

With the expensive shipping (10.00 surcharge on FedEX), kinda feels like they don't want you to buy direct from them :)
Weird.
That said, this one is tempting me :)

Be Kind. Everyone is fighting a hard battle.

(in reply to E)
Post #: 54
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 8/31/2009 9:34:49 PM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: noxious

That's one thing I still don't get with small devs selling direct at outrageous prices compared to other e-vendors : sell it the same price as they do, you still make more money that way, instead of only getting a cut from third party sellers. Plus no hard feeling from customers feeling ripped off from wanting to support the product directly...

With the expensive shipping (10.00 surcharge on FedEX), kinda feels like they don't want you to buy direct from them :)
Weird.

That phenomenon is not limited to this company or even this niche market. It is an industry-crossing standard operating procedure as normally applied to physical products (read: I'm not talking about direct downloads). I never understood it either, but there is definitely a reason for it, or sooooo many companies wouldn't do it.

My best guess is that it makes the 3rd party sellers look good, and thus makes the product a good deal for 3rd party sellers to order, and thus gets the product spread out into the public further with the incumbent additional advertising the 3rd party sellers will do. (?) I'm not an economics or business major, but I'd suspect the end result is much more of less money, than less of more money for the original companies.

I think the end result is that buying the product from anywhere (legitimate), is good for and supports the original company. And in our niche, I'd bet that companies that support their customers already realize that.

Personally, I try to buy from smaller companies (that are just big enough, or have a history long enough, to know they won't be gone tomorrow). I've ordered from J&R before with no problems (minor hardware purchase, a very long time ago), but I personally prefer someone like NWS who will answer an email _and_ know who you are.

(in reply to noxious)
Post #: 55
RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' - 9/6/2009 11:26:55 AM   
Hertston

Hi all,

I dredge this one up to mention to any SB players that apparently the Eagles Strike refit is imminent. Gamesquad. They are canvassing opinions for which game should be next as well.

(in reply to E)
Post #: 56
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: John Tiller's 'Dien Bien Phu' Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI