Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OOB, Command Hierarchy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> OOB, Command Hierarchy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OOB, Command Hierarchy - 6/12/2002 4:46:19 AM   
Basement Command

Just how closely does UV model OOB and command hierarchies? I have a pretty good handle on the need to place appropriate support units into a base to support the combat and engineer units there. But just how much attention should I be paying to the actual OOB? For example, if I move all the units attached to Northern Command to a base, does it matter which HQ I move to that base to provide support? Of course, it looks better if I move the NC HQ to that same base, but do the game units really care if it is their HQ providing support, or would any HQ do as long as the support points provided are sufficient for the other units there? How about moving a major HQ such as SWPAC to a forward base and having it eliminated in a battle. Does that affect the command structure of the game, or is that simply a matter of having so many support points eliminated from your support "bucket"? What I'm thinking of is games like the John Tiller Battleground series where the relationship between Brigade / Division / and Corps Commanders is modeled to the point that the only Brigade commander that will provide any support value to a brigade (modeled as fighting and disruption/rout characteristics for the brigade) is that commander specifically assigned to that brigade in the OOB. Moving another unit's brigade commander to a combat unit's hex does nothing at all. The Brigade Commander also draws benefits from proximity to his Division Commander & so on. If a Corps commander is killed, a Divisional Commander will be promoted into his place and any other needed promotions needed to fill subsequent voids are also carried out. Does UV do anything like this? If so, where can I see an OOB org chart to be sure I have the right commanders in position to support subordinant commands?
Post #: 1
- 6/12/2002 12:18:50 PM   
jrcar

I too found this confusing.

From what I've worked out in the manual a unit gets supply bonuses if it occupies a hex of its command unit. Ie 144th Regt gets the support from its Div HQ only if in the same hex. I have only played the Japanese so far, but I've seen no problems with mixing units from different commands together (and reading the Guadacanal history neither did the Japanese in real life).

So effectively there is very little reson to keep a division together, xcept to make it easier for you to remember.

There is no command radius, and no command and control penalties that I can work out.

I'm always willing to be corrected though :).

Cheers

Rob

(in reply to Basement Command)
Post #: 2
- 6/12/2002 2:05:56 PM   
Supervisor

Any HQ unit will help support any other units in the hex. But having the same HQ as the combat forces gives bonus to combat. (See: Sec 7.3, pg 21 & Sec 14.3, pg 96)

Division HQ's give a 20% combat bonus to units attached to them (in the same hex), and Army/Corps HQ's give a 10% combat bonus to [I]any[/I] unit within 6 hexes.

Post #: 3
- 6/12/2002 2:44:39 PM   
strollen

Also units in the same hex as their divisional HQ have a chance of having their disruption reduced by 1/2. The effect (I think) is that it makes units in malaria zone suffer significantly lower disabled units.

Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> OOB, Command Hierarchy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI