Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SPWAW and WindowsXP

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> SPWAW and WindowsXP Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SPWAW and WindowsXP - 6/6/2002 10:52:22 AM   
SSgtUSMC

Hey Guys,
Anybody having problems with WinXP? Game will only run a max of 5-10 mins before it completely shuts the computer down, not just to the desktop..but powers it off.

I have been recalled back to Active Duty and until I get to put steel on target, or the wife tells me that I have her blessings to go forth and sin, this is one of few pleasures open to me.

I have checked and disabled all power off and hibernations setting etc... Still no luck.

Help!!

Semper Fi
Post #: 1
- 6/6/2002 7:20:06 PM   
Paul Vebber

It usually runs fine under XP, if you give more specific details of your system someone may have an insight?

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 2
- 6/6/2002 8:59:42 PM   
Supervisor

Yes please more specs, I also am running in XP Pro (straight forward, not in compatiblity mode) without any issues.

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 3
- 6/7/2002 11:08:42 AM   
SSgtUSMC

Thanks for the replies I had also posted this in the generic SPWAW forum and got a few replies that no one was really having problems with XP.

More details..hmmmm...

I was running 5.3 and encountering this problem....upgraded to 7.1 with all appropriate patches and got it to run over 3 hours thi afternoon...then...Kapute..not much to describe except that the Comp just powered down. Subsequent tries once again netted no more than 10 mins each.

I have Reinstalled several times...(the 5.3 version) and even gone so far as to reformatt the comp back to factory specs. Wish I could provide more details

Below is my reply in the other forum....
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the replies....seems that its not XP as many of you are running fine with it.

I posted the plea for help last night while I was downloading all the upgrades to get from 5.3 to 7.1. To my amazement this afternoon I was able to get the game to run for over 3 hours....then..kapute....it just died again. Not sure why. On subsequent tries I still got no more than 10 mins...

Drivers, Hardware Conflict, Partition's etc.....Hmmmm....When I found out that the wife was smarter than me I figured there was no use in learning eanything else about these amazing lil boxes we play with..she knows it all...I just concentrated on tactics....Ill have to get her to take a look at it when I get a chance to put it in her hands.

I am instaling the game off of a shipped Desert Fox Cd that I have had for a while...and have reinstalled several times...have even gone as far as reformatting back to factory specs. Probably is a bad copy ........anyway I will start the download of the new version tonight a\nd hope that it corrects the problem.

Once again thanks for the help.

Semper Fi
--------------

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 4
- 6/7/2002 10:14:12 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]not much to describe except that the Comp just powered down[/QUOTE]

This sounds more like a not appropiate power device to me. I have had similiar problems once (after upgrading to a new way faster graphics card). Resulting into a flamed up PC cause the power device went up. Not to scare you but maybe you have to less power for all the stuff in the PC.

Do me a favor, list all the stuff you have, ammount of RAM, grpahic card (how much RAM on that), CD Roms, DVDs, everything down to the mouse and keyboard, then please have alook at your power supply. And post how much power it generates at maximum. sould be on a sticker on the device.

Power devices are a thing a lot of users understimate. It´s the last part you would spend extra cash on, untill the day you PC wents up and takes nearly everything with him ;).

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 5
I'm getting the exact same behavior on XP. - 6/9/2002 8:45:15 PM   
pwdood

Trying to run SPWaw7.1 freshly downloaded yesterday.

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite Laptop:

Celeron Processor 1.1Ghz, 256Meg RAM. XP Home. Trident Video Accelerator Cyberblade XP Ai1 ver 6.4.

It only appears to shut down when the game map screen is displayed; it never did it for me when the menu page was up.

This is the only software I run that behaves this way. I tried shutting down the soundtrack in SPWaw, and my .Net developer tools on my end, but the program still entirely shuts down the PC after 5-10 minutes. I've never gotten it to run for 3 hours like the Sgt., but have been able to successfully shut down SpWaw without it crashing XP.

I respectfully doubt that it is a power supply issue with both of our PCs.

I do hope a solution can be determined. It does seem like SPWaw runs as a DOS program underneath Windows; are the newer Matrix games natively developed under windows?

GO USA vs. South Korea tonight!

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 6
- 6/10/2002 6:21:59 AM   
chief

Do you have a sound card on laptop ?

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 7
- 6/10/2002 6:45:18 AM   
Supervisor

SPWAW is a TRUE Windows based game, not DOS, what resolution are you running the laptop in. SPWAW was designed to run at 800X600. Also make sure your video card drivers are up to date. Try running the game directly from the mech.exe this bypasses the autorun menu. Look in the MatrixGames\SPWAW\save folder and delete the steel.prf and holder.txt (if you have one) and restart SPWAW, when you adjust anything in the preference menu the steel.prf file will be recreated. Also try running SPWAW in compatibility mode Win 98 is the prefered OS to try. Make sure all other background programs are shut down before running SPWAW because of it's old game code SPWAW runs at 100% CPU usage. Run "dxdiag" and on the sound tab try turning down hardware acceleration for sound. If this helps slowly adjust it back up until the game becomes unstable again. Please let us know if any of this helps.

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 8
- 6/10/2002 6:50:09 PM   
pwdood

The Toshiba laptop is using the Ali Audio Accelerator for sound.

I tried running Mech.exe in both Win95 and Win98 comp modes, but it still shut down after 5 minutes or so. Both times I noticed it happened after right-clicking to bring up a unit menu, or left clicking to select a unit.

I am going to now experiment with the audio acceleration setting.

Thanks for the ideas.

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 9
- 6/10/2002 7:04:34 PM   
pwdood

Unfortunately it continues to shut the system down, both with the audio acceleration turned completely off, and with all the sound effects turned off.

I can recreate the problem by alternating right and left mouse clicks on various units. It will usually shut down after the third set of clicks.

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 10
- 6/10/2002 11:29:37 PM   
chief

PWDOOD: Are you set for 800x600 ?

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 11
- 6/11/2002 12:29:20 AM   
SSgtUSMC

Am at work right now so I cant give the particulars of my system...but....its a Toshiba Laptop also..just thought I would throw that in there..also last night experienced the excat same problem with "Operational Art of War" After Several hour.
Will submit System Specs later tonight.

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 12
- 6/11/2002 12:37:51 AM   
chief

OK, I just tought I'd drop 2 cents worth, 1 step at a time for mankind. Sometimes simple things fix complex problems. Good Luck.:) :cool:

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 13
- 6/11/2002 1:40:39 AM   
pwdood

Yes, I tried 800x600 resolution as part of what I was testing. It crashed then as well.

As far as the Toshiba angle, I haven't had any problems with any other older Windows games, including TAOW.

Thanks.

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 14
Maybe a Toshiba Bios problem? - 6/11/2002 3:04:00 AM   
pwdood

Found the following on Toshiba's website.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlView.jsp?soid=165240&moid=148315&BV_SessionID=@@@@0696884743.1023739026@@@@&BV_EngineID=dadcefhejeiibfekcghcfmfdgll.0&ct=SB

Essentially I need to try a BIOS upgrade and see if this fixes the problem.

I will post what I found out.

As an aside, can anyone direct me to anywhere I can find the Battleground Collection 2 CD set for sale? My internet searches haven't helped me.

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 15
Fixed it. - 6/11/2002 4:10:32 AM   
pwdood

It was definitely a BIOS problem with the Toshiba laptop, upgrading it to version 1.9 (it should be at least 1.8) fixed the problem with SPWaW.

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 16
- 6/11/2002 4:34:25 AM   
Supervisor

Outstanding, never would have expected that but anyway I'm glad it is fixed. Did they say what was included in the latest BIOS update. Now I'm really curious. The only thing I could even imagine that could cause it would, power management or PCI addressing issues. After the BIOS update did XP reidentify and install anything again or new.

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 17
- 6/11/2002 4:45:10 AM   
pwdood

The fix listing for the 1.9 Bios upgrade doesn't mention the random shutdown problem. I found that problem described in another list and that's what referenced the BIOS upgrade.

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 18
- 6/11/2002 4:52:06 AM   
Supervisor

Could you send me the link so I can try to follow-up on it, it would be appreciated.

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 19
- 6/11/2002 8:07:41 AM   
pwdood

The link is the same one from earlier in this thread.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...fmfdgll.0&ct=SB

neither link appears to be working now, but the problem is listed on Toshiba's support site under the Toshiba Satellite Laptop.

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 20
- 6/11/2002 8:11:42 AM   
Supervisor

Sorry I missed that post at the end of the last page.:)

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 21
Battleground Collection 2 - 6/11/2002 8:30:34 AM   
Supervisor

I found this, I'll keep looking though.. [URL=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1358374753]Ebay[/URL]

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 22
- 6/11/2002 9:47:12 AM   
pwdood

Thanks for the heads-up on the EBay BC2 listing. I've placed a bid.

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 23
- 6/11/2002 8:36:09 PM   
Supervisor

Your welcome.:)

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 24
reply to having problems with xp - 6/12/2002 4:25:25 AM   
wazoo

I have been running XP home edition and have had no problems, well ocasionally it will drop me to the start screen. I have had the problem where I can not get ver 6.1 to upgrade to the latest version.

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 25
- 6/12/2002 5:20:30 AM   
Supervisor

What happens when you try to upgrade from 6.1????? Let me know so I can help you through it. You really need to get up to 7.1.

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 26
Installing SpWaW on XP - 6/12/2002 12:31:40 PM   
Magnus420

tryied to install in on xp tonite but half way thru it asked me for disk 2? and this was the free version any suggestions??

:mad:

:eek:

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 27
- 6/12/2002 8:11:00 PM   
Supervisor

It's an incomplete or corrupted download, unfortuantley you'll have to redownload it.

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 28
- 6/12/2002 10:04:56 PM   
Magnus420

thanks for the info!!!!

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 29
The Toshiba "Shutdown" problem reappears. - 6/18/2002 9:32:13 PM   
pwdood

When I am in campaign mode at the purchasing screen in SPWaW7.1, the whole laptop shutsdown, after about a minute or two.

Still can play a SPWaW scenario with no problem, can play TOAW for a few hours without a shutdown.

It is a problem with the Toshiba Satellite series of Notebooks. Upgrading the bias does fix the issue in most cases, if the problem still happens; Toshiba recommends having the laptop brought in for service.

From a SPWaW work-around standpoint, is there anyway in Campaigns to have a "pre-filled" default template of purchased weaponry? I am thinking if I only had to hit a button or two to "purchase" my equipment, I wouldn't have to spend too much time at this screen, thus no shutdown, or I can have my laptop sent in to be fixed.

Also, during the Mega Campaigns, is this purchasing screen accessed that much?
Just a heads up, for other Toshiba owners out there.

(in reply to SSgtUSMC)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> SPWAW and WindowsXP Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI