Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game Editor: Whats under the Hood?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Operation Barbarossa: The Struggle for Russia >> Game Editor: Whats under the Hood? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game Editor: Whats under the Hood? - 8/22/2009 4:11:11 PM   
Max 86

I saw under game data that the game came with an editor. Could someone elaborate as to what one could do with this editor? With regards to mapmaking, unit attributes, VP locations etc...

Also, on another note, how many units do you start a campaign with on average (core force)? Are we talking 10-15 or 20-30? What about the end of the war scenarios, how many units can you expect to have? Ballpark number.

Thanks.

No problem Chief!
Post #: 1
RE: Game Editor: Whats under the Hood? - 8/25/2009 12:37:18 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Max 86
I saw under game data that the game came with an editor. Could someone elaborate as to what one could do with this editor? With regards to mapmaking, unit attributes, VP locations etc...

You can pretty much to everything regarding making a scenario, map, units, VP locations. As far as unit abilities go, you can't set those exactly, but you give the unit as much experience as you want to trigger ability upgrades and the player will then get to choose the appropriate number of abilities on his first turn in the scenario.

quote:

Also, on another note, how many units do you start a campaign with on average (core force)? Are we talking 10-15 or 20-30? What about the end of the war scenarios, how many units can you expect to have? Ballpark number.

Hm, Unfortunately I just deleted my old campaign saves in testing our release candidate, but IIRC you start at around 10-15 units in the different campaigns and you could end up in the 20-25 range if you are doing well and focus on recruiting new units more so than improving your existing ones. A lot depends on what you want to recruit - air units are quite expensive, infantry not so much.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 2
RE: Game Editor: Whats under the Hood? - 8/25/2009 1:01:53 PM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hm, Unfortunately I just deleted my old campaign saves in testing our release candidate, but IIRC you start at around 10-15 units in the different campaigns and you could end up in the 20-25 range if you are doing well and focus on recruiting new units more so than improving your existing ones. A lot depends on what you want to recruit - air units are quite expensive, infantry not so much.

Yes, thats pretty much what its like in an average game.

Btw. the editor is exactly the one the game was done with (or better: an improved version of it) so you can create the maps and the settings you like.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Game Editor: Whats under the Hood? - 8/25/2009 2:21:56 PM   
Max 86

Sounds fantastic. Can't wait. What about campaigns? Can you build campaigns?

Thanks again.

No problem Chief!

(in reply to Ronald Wendt)
Post #: 4
RE: Game Editor: Whats under the Hood? - 9/10/2009 2:32:20 PM   
canton

How large can a map be created in the editor?

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 5
RE: Game Editor: Whats under the Hood? - 9/10/2009 4:53:18 PM   
Erik Rutins

The largest map size is 50 columns by 50 rows (hexes) and each hex is about 5km in size so that's a 250km x 250km map.

Linking scenarios together in a campaign I believe is just a matter of editing up a new .cmp file, which is a text file. The developers should confirm this though as while I believe that's how it works, I haven't personally made a new campaign (yet).

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to canton)
Post #: 6
RE: Game Editor: Whats under the Hood? - 9/14/2009 7:55:03 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello,

yes campaigns can be done by creating a simple .cmp file. It can't be done in the editor though, you need a program than can deliver plain .txt files. (like the windows editor)

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Operation Barbarossa: The Struggle for Russia >> Game Editor: Whats under the Hood? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI