Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

To restart or not, that is the Question.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> To restart or not, that is the Question. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 9:24:31 AM   
DivePac88

Now that number 1 patch is out, some of us have a big decision to make with our PBEM games. Ramjet and I are only 20-turns in, more than 3-weeks worth of effort if you count the mammoth 1st turn. My biggest worry was the northern Soviet bases dying for lack of supply, but I see from the patch list there are some other major issues. So I was wondering what other players thoughts were for PBEM games, and of course AI games as just as much effort goes into them?

Thanks DP.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
Post #: 1
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 9:52:27 AM   
vlcz

"The following improvements/changes will only be immediately available if you start a
new game.
5. AI Script changes "

I will restart VS AI, no point in fighting vs a sacked old kamikaze admiral

Pobably would go on with a PBEM

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 2
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 10:35:32 AM   
TheTomDude

Yes that's no easy decision. I'm also thinking about what to do with my AI game. I really want to see all of the changes taking place, but going back after some 6-7 weeks of playing is not that easy as you know. I guess I'm just too lazy for a restart right now. There will be a time when I will start all over again and enjoy all the benefits of patch 1 and 2 (and maybe 3 and 4). But this time is not now.

Edit: I'm in mid October '42 atm playing single day turns.

< Message edited by TheTomDude -- 9/11/2009 10:56:30 AM >

(in reply to vlcz)
Post #: 3
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 10:48:35 AM   
jomni

I'm continuing my game vs. AI.  2 game months has already elapsed.

< Message edited by jomni -- 9/11/2009 10:50:10 AM >

(in reply to TheTomDude)
Post #: 4
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 10:58:09 AM   
tacfire

"The following improvements/changes will only be immediately available if you start a
new game.
5. AI Script changes "

I assume this change is needed for subs returning to base earlier, and not running out of fuel mid-ocean and taking on ship damage, is that correct?

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 5
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 11:25:15 AM   
Sonny II

quote:

ORIGINAL: tacfire

new game.
5. AI Script changes "

I assume this change is needed for subs returning to base earlier, and not running out of fuel mid-ocean and taking on ship damage, is that correct?

No, that fix is in the code not in the scripts. No need to restart because of that problem. However, it will not fix subs currently returning from patrol that are already low on fuel.

(in reply to tacfire)
Post #: 6
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 2:30:33 PM   
SuluSea

I feel better about restarting against the AI because some of my concerns have been addressed specifically-

pilot training-
PT Boats-
Radar effeciency/checks-
I believe allied night fighting ability will be toned down some given the ships experience adjustment-

All those and more provide for a more realistic simulation.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 9/11/2009 3:05:41 PM >

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to Sonny II)
Post #: 7
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 2:33:51 PM   
John Lansford

I grabbed the beta patch when it came out, and now this one.  Is there anything in the new patch that requires another restart that wasn't in the beta patch, and if so what was it?

I'd like to know so I can decide if it's worth it to restart; if it's something trivial like "changes tonnage capacity of these 3 ships" I won't bother for now.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 8
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 2:36:39 PM   
Sardaukar

There was nothing in beta or this patch that would *require* restart....as far as I know. Except if wanting to experience refined AI scripts against AI.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 9
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 2:41:05 PM   
John Lansford

I guess that's my question, though; I picked up the beta patch so presumably got the AI script changes then, unless there are other AI script changes in this patch that weren't in the beta patch.  

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 10
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 2:55:23 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

I guess that's my question, though; I picked up the beta patch so presumably got the AI script changes then, unless there are other AI script changes in this patch that weren't in the beta patch.  

I think there are new fixes to AI patches after Beta too. How much they'll effect gameplay..that I cannot say. Lot of the fixed stuff is related to early war..and if you are already several months into game vs. AI... I don't think I restart my game, I am already into Jun 42 in my latest restart.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 11
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 2:58:49 PM   
Q-Ball

That's why I didn't want to start a PBEM until this first patch came out. Now I am starting.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 12
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 3:14:44 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

That's why I didn't want to start a PBEM until this first patch came out. Now I am starting.

Well, you could have started just fine and updated, AI scripts have no use in PBEM against human player, they are AI only things. Code and database chances are updated to savegame.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 9/11/2009 3:16:50 PM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 13
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 3:19:09 PM   
vaned74

except note if you are playing japan, changes to your ship production plans seem to change with the database update, i am going to try and just update the game engine and press NO on the database changes and see if that addresses the issue

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 14
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 3:24:56 PM   
Sardaukar

Yea, if they have changed for example shipyard sizes, factory sizes etc, that will probably reset some of player changes.

(in reply to vaned74)
Post #: 15
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 3:27:35 PM   
DivePac88

Ramjet and I have decided to restart our PBEM game with the unhistorical first-turn, as we are only 20 turns in, plus we both made a few early mistakes.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to vaned74)
Post #: 16
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 3:51:37 PM   
vaned74

Hi Sardauker - that may be true, but, the big thing seems to be the advance/delay times for japanese ships go back to as if they were never halted or accelerated. So anything you have accelerated seems to go back to its original entry date and anything you have halted acts as if it was never halted.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 17
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 3:59:47 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: vaned74

Hi Sardauker - that may be true, but, the big thing seems to be the advance/delay times for japanese ships go back to as if they were never halted or accelerated. So anything you have accelerated seems to go back to its original entry date and anything you have halted acts as if it was never halted.

Agree, that can be bit annoying.

(in reply to vaned74)
Post #: 18
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 4:28:12 PM   
Barneyrubb90

I was up through Sept '42 when the Beta came out...and elected to restart against the AI. I am up to July '42 and am strongly considering continuing forward just to see what happens.

If is available would like assessment of comparison of AI changes between Beta and official change to better assess impact of not restarting.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 19
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 5:21:46 PM   
rroberson

I'd like to restart a couple of my games when I didn't know what the hell I was doing :-). But for the most part I will be soldiering on.

(in reply to Barneyrubb90)
Post #: 20
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 5:24:48 PM   
Takeshi

Per Andy Mac

Duke yes but all I tweaked were the late war allied scripts so if playing v Jap AI it will be the same for beta/offical allied AI scripts have small changes not really material enough to warrent restart

Andy

(in reply to Barneyrubb90)
Post #: 21
RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. - 9/11/2009 6:26:51 PM   
Barneyrubb90

Once again thanks for the quick and complete response.

Back into the battle I go.

(in reply to Takeshi)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> To restart or not, that is the Question. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI