Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Where does the offensive in Burma start

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Where does the offensive in Burma start Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Where does the offensive in Burma start - 9/29/2009 5:43:22 PM   
moonraker65

I believe the Allies made better progress once Mountbatten was made Supreme Allied Commander S.E.A. and Bill Slim's appointment as Commander XIV Army.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 31
RE: Where does the offensive in Burma start - 9/29/2009 6:07:05 PM   
Dobey455

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

When available I moved the Australian 7th to Burma instead of back to Australia. They are good troops and will lead the offensive down the coast. Put almost all my artillery there to so I have great hopes.

Interestingly, this is very close to the actual British war time plans.
Churchill was loathe to release the AIF divisions from N.Africa, when the Australian P.M insisted on the AIF's return he came up with a plan to have the task forces that the 6th and 7th AIF Div's were on to stop in eastern India to "Refuel" and disembark the troops for shore leave, then sail off and abandon them there, forcing them to fight in India\Burma as the Australian goverment didn't have the resources to move the troops back to Australia themselves.

For the record the Australian goverment realised....as any player should realise, that the old men, boys and invalids of the Australian militia were totally insufficint for the defence of Australia, and they desperatly wanted their high quality forces back for service in the SW Pacfic.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 32
RE: Where does the offensive in Burma start - 9/29/2009 10:27:30 PM   
dude

In the two games that I've played now against the AI (I restarted the first after Aug 42 when the patch came out) I was able to hold onto Pegu and all but wipe out the Japs there and take Bangkock by June. In the first game fearing the Jap aircover and the inability to move restricted units by ship to Rangoon, I moved overland via Imphal. In the second game I used the coast road and shipping (which I covered with fighters including some that I shipped from the US way back in Dec.) Since I knew it would be awhile before I could do anything seriously in the South Pacific I shipped some US bombers over too and kept the pressure on the Jap bases.

I moved practically every infantry unit I could find in India that way plus all the reinforcements that came in at Aden. I also moved every Inf unit in Burma to Pegu and I withdraw anything I could from Singapore to Rangon-Pegu (though I had to take the long way around Sumatra.) I had at least 16,000+ (I think I reached over 20k+ at one point near the end) combat infantry men (and even more support) sitting in Pegu by the time the Japs got there with any major force. As soon as a Jap unit moved into Pegu I launched a shock attack, inflicting a lot of damage and forcing it to retreat... rinse and repeat... The Jap units were defeated piecemeal. From about April to June I was able to keep this up and practically wipe out all of the AI's forces in Burma.

Jap shipping was taken care of by careful use of the Brit CV's, surface forces, and MTB's just to the west/nw of Rangoon. Mostly to keep the AI from landing at Akyab.

It's worked twice now for me against the AI... though I wouldn't recommend this at all vs a human player...

Attachment (1)

“Ifs defeated the Confederates…” U.S.Grant

(in reply to Dobey455)
Post #: 33
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Where does the offensive in Burma start Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI