Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Best ancient time battle wargame?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/6/2008 10:57:03 PM   
mgarnett

Hi,

I have the Tin Soldiers and HPS games.  Both series are great.  I agree with you about the graphics in the HPS games but I seem to have overcome it by playing the games in 2D mode.  For some reasons the games seem easier to play and look fine when played that way.  I don't really like the 3D mode, things seem just too hard to see.  Gallic Wars and Punic Wars really are great games.

Cheers

Mark

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 31
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/9/2008 9:57:50 PM   
canuckgamer

I recently re-installed two of my Great Battles games, Hannibal and Caesar. I couldn't get Alexander installed, a message came up saying I needed Windows 95. I am running XP. I dug up these two games because I was disappointed with Punic Wars such that I didn't bother buying Gallic Wars. In Punic Wars, it takes forever to come in to contact and just isn't fun to play. My buddy and I tried two games of it by PBEM. Punic Wars doesn't even have any animation for movement or combat like Hannibal and Caesar. I haven't tried out Tin Soldiers JC yet but I'm considering it. I would love to see Matrix update the Great Battles Series like they have with a number of other older titles.

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 32
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 12/10/2008 1:03:08 AM   
Brigz

quote:

ORIGINAL: McHugh

I recently re-installed two of my Great Battles games, Hannibal and Caesar. I couldn't get Alexander installed, a message came up saying I needed Windows 95. I am running XP.

Go to this site and you should find the information you need to get Alexander to run on XP.
http://www.ianm1.plus.com/index.html

Under the "Having Problems" heading, click on the "Operating Systems Compatability" link.

< Message edited by Dave Briggs -- 12/10/2008 1:05:30 AM >

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to canuckgamer)
Post #: 33
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 10/11/2009 5:49:21 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Guys bringing up ancients again. I need your feed back. What is your impression of Commands and Colors: Ancients series? looks like it could be to simple.
quote:

ORIGINAL: nim8or

There's always the Vassal version of Commands & Colors: Ancients (now 4 expansions!) if you want online multiplayer only.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 34
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 10/11/2009 6:12:12 PM   
Hertston

Check out the PC release of Field of Glory (Slitherene), currently in beta.  Looks a tad smarter than the HPS games (which are otherwise excellent, I agree).

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 35
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 10/11/2009 6:47:55 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Hmmmm thats looks interesting. I'll check it out.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 36
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 10/12/2009 7:48:20 AM   
Anguille

RTS:
Age of Alexander (sequel to Ancients Wars: Ancients Wars) should be ok. (Worldforge)
Celtic Kings: The Punic Wars (aka Nemesis of the Roman Empire) (Haemimont Games)
Legion Arena: Gold Edition...imho still a good game on Roman battles (has to be played on hard or very hard, normal is too easy) (Slitherine)

TBS:

Strength & Honor 2 will be released shortly and covers the Ancient World from China to Spain...solid engine (Magitech)
Sparta & Gates of Troy (Slitherine)

Great Battles are great too (can't get them to run though). Field of Glory by Slitherine might be fun.

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 37
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 10/12/2009 8:30:16 AM   
a7v

For me its ROME Total War also. There are excellent mods like Europa Barbaorum, Roma Surrectum and RTR. I agree that it is quite easy to win, but for me its more important that the game still is fun to play.
The later games of the series....

Rainer

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 38
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 10/12/2009 6:19:27 PM   
killroyishere

If Field of Glory has an ai it will definitely be a buy for me. On the other hand I don't see how anyone can say RTW is the BEST ancient time battle wargame. Just makes me want to laugh and laugh and laugh. For me it's the worst ancient time battle wargame. hell Centurion Defender of Rome an old dos game is better than RTW. RTW is right down there with dressup barbie or elmo goes to potty training school and fails.

(in reply to a7v)
Post #: 39
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 10/12/2009 6:56:30 PM   
jackx

It's a decent game, and has some great mods, it's just not a wargame at all. That said, how do you do a serious ancient wargame? For battles, I can kinda see it working out, but for anything beyond that, you're pretty much off into conjecture-land as far as I can tell...

no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 40
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 10/12/2009 7:30:41 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackx
It's a decent game, and has some great mods, it's just not a wargame at all. That said, how do you do a serious ancient wargame? For battles, I can kinda see it working out, but for anything beyond that, you're pretty much off into conjecture-land as far as I can tell...

The same way you do serious wargame of any other sort. For battles the excellent HPS games are perfectly 'serious' in that respect, as were the Great Battles series (although they were paper/counter conversions). For a WitP style strategic wargame (as opposed to a 'strategy game'), I suspect nobody has done one as it just wouldn't sell well enough.

(in reply to jackx)
Post #: 41
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 10/12/2009 9:30:50 PM   
jackx

Possibly, but even if "War in the Mediterranean: Punic War Edition" would be sure to sell well, how would you go about creating it in the first place when you mostly have huge gaps where you'd need tons of (reliable) data?
To go beyond something shallow like R:TW, you need a lot more information, and the further you go back into history, the less of that tends to be available.

But the thread is about battle games, and these should be less affected (though getting reliable OOBs and combat models probably isn't easy either), so it's not that much of an issue.

< Message edited by jackx -- 10/12/2009 9:33:46 PM >

no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 42
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 10/13/2009 12:19:30 AM   
Titanwarrior89

But is Commands and Colors Ancients to easy for a long time board gamer? I want a historical game that is fun covering this period.

(in reply to jackx)
Post #: 43
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 10/18/2009 1:58:51 AM   
madgamer2

If you like railroad games you should check out a little game called Rails Across America which is a lot of fun.

Madgamer

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 44
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 10/18/2009 2:03:37 AM   
madgamer2

A game's reception in one's mind and willingness to play is a total thing. You may say you do not mind one thing or another but something can keep you from playing the game. It is something that happens to everyone.

Madgamer

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 45
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 10/18/2009 3:44:30 AM   
Brigz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

But is Commands and Colors Ancients to easy for a long time board gamer? I want a historical game that is fun covering this period.

Absolutely not. I'm a very, very long time board gamer. I play Advanced Squad Leader on a weekly basis and that is about as complex as you can get. But I love to play Commands and Colors Ancients. It is a very fun game. It is a pure pleasure to play. I wouldn't say it is "easy" although it is a fairly straight forward, un-complex game. There is a slight learning curve, but once you grasp the traits of each unit type, and understand the card play, the game really becomes addicting. I wouldn't call it an extremely historical game, but it gives a good feeling for the basics of ancient warfare. You can play a complete battle in an hour, but that hour is solid competitive, multi-option, game play.

All I can say is, if you are looking for a FUN ancients game, then this is the one to play. The only draw-back is....putting the stickers on the blocks. But that is well worth the effort when you start playing the game.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 46
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 10/20/2009 6:10:37 AM   
Larac

Do any of the Ancient Games have decent Campaigns?

I dislike one off battles as you have less concern to sell your troops dearly.

Lee

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 47
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 10/20/2009 5:53:40 PM   
Erik Rutins

FYI, we are planning to release Field of Glory here as well once it's ready. I've been testing the beta for a couple of months and I have to say it's looking outstanding and coming together nicely. Visually it looks like Tin Soldiers, but the battlefield strategy is IMHO better and reflects the period well. Plenty of content as well, good selection of battles.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Larac)
Post #: 48
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 10/20/2009 8:49:59 PM   
killroyishere

I've had my eye on that one....any idea on release date of it Mr. Rutins? But, I plan to buy it from NWS if they are going to have it because I want a printed manual or is that yet another one you aren't going to print a manual for?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 49
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 10/21/2009 1:23:53 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Thanks Dave I ordered the game. Sounded like what I want. Did some research. Looks good.

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 50
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 10/21/2009 4:42:54 AM   
V22 Osprey

I don't know, maybe it's just me, maybe I'm just weird like that, but the HPS Ancient Warfare series graphics actually looks pretty good IMO.Definitely looks 10,000 times better than Campaign 1776 and Panzer Campaigns.

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 51
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 11/2/2009 5:24:04 AM   
kalai

Wargaming the period offers the basic problem of how to portray all this in a rule set. The era certainly saw big battles such as Charles Martel's defeat of Adb-ur-Raaman at Tours, where over 100,000 men may have fought, or Yarmuk, where Khaled ibn al-Walid's Islamic force trounced a Byzantine army that may have numbered a quarter-million men. Rules like DBM, Tactica, or Armati are suitable for gaming large battles like this. But the essential feel isn't there for the smaller fights that make up the stuff of bardic verse. Many of the armies of Dark Age Europe were built around the personal followings of a warlord, what the Roman historian Tacitus called the commitatis. These groups may have numbered a few hundred at the most. In many cases they were far less numerous. The way the societies were structured allowed only a small proportion, the nobility, to bear arms. Larger forces would be made up by banding together the personal forces of lesser warlords under the leadership of a higher lord, prince, or king – though each warrior exercised personal loyalty to his lord, not necessarily to the king, and there was no concept of "country" or patriotism. Right or wrong, warriors fought for their lord and his battles were theirs. For gaming this kind of fighting, skirmish type rules work the best – especially rules that allow you to give special characteristics to individual figures who represent the warlord or some of his notable warriors. Warhammer Ancient Battles (WAB), Pig Wars, and BattleLust all provide this feel. All three rule sets use "units" to organize the forces. Pig Wars and BattleLust can be played with one unit per side allowing a relatively small numbers of figures (20 or less per side). WAB uses armies of certain points sizes that are made up of several units and so may require a hundred or more figures per side.
_________________________________________________________________________Pergola Utah Timber Frame  missourihomeowner.com

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 52
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 11/4/2009 11:43:18 PM   
milkweg

I found Tin Soldiers Caesar tedious and boring and plays more like an abstracted game of chess than an ancients wargame. iMagic's Great Battles series are far better if you can find a copy.

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 53
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 11/5/2009 1:05:36 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey
I don't know, maybe it's just me, maybe I'm just weird like that, but the HPS Ancient Warfare series graphics actually looks pretty good IMO.Definitely looks 10,000 times better than Campaign 1776 and Panzer Campaigns.

They suck IMHO - and I am a fan of the system. Or at least the 3D graphics do - which doesn't really matter as, like with every other HPS game, I never use them!

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 54
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 11/5/2009 4:06:49 AM   
killroyishere

You must have hated all of the 80's to mid 90's then Herston as everything was 8bit or 16bit graphics and stickman was pretty much what you got in most wargames. Did you ever play AH or SSI's Panzer Jagd? How about Kampfgruppe? or Battlegroup? What about Typhoon of Steel or Panzer Strike? How about all those early SSG WW2 wargames? Then there was the Wargame Construction Set totally 8 bit graphics good old stickmen type play. How you can complain about todays HPS graphics compared to those days is just beyond me.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 55
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 11/5/2009 6:38:02 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: killroyishere
How you can complain about todays HPS graphics compared to those days is just beyond me.

Perhaps because I'm not comparing them to 'those days'! I'm comparing them to the standard, even for Indie products, these days. And I'm not 'complaining' at all; as I said I always use the 2D alternative anyway.. and still would even if the 3D graphics were improved.

Post #: 56
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 11/5/2009 7:37:11 AM   
killroyishere

quote:

And I'm not 'complaining' at all;

Then ummm tell me what this line is?
quote:

They suck IMHO

Reads like complaining to me.

Also who's standards?

quote:

I'm comparing them to the standard

I don't know of any gaming laws that were setup to setup 'standards' for graphics? When did they come about? Who are these people? Who gave them that kind of authority? I want to give them my 2 cents about it!

@milkweg
quote:

iMagic's Great Battles series are far better if you can find a copy.

I like the iMagic series of Great Ancient Battles but I wouldn't agree they are better just a different style of play. I enjoyed both the GAB's and the Tin Soldiers series. I also liked the Tin Soldiers series because it was more chesslike and I didn't miss any of the action like one does playing the iMagic series.

< Message edited by killroyishere -- 11/5/2009 7:42:13 AM >

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 57
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 11/5/2009 7:05:07 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

Then ummm tell me what this line is?
quote:

They suck IMHO

Reads like complaining to me.

Then you should read more carefully. It's an opinion, not a complaint.

quote:

Also who's standards?

Mine, based on a general awareness of the current quality of graphics in the industry, as being the only ones relevant to myself. If your standards are different, and you believe HPS 3D graphics are state-of-the-art, then good for you!

Post #: 58
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 11/5/2009 11:08:19 PM   
killroyishere

quote:

Then you should read more carefully. It's an opinion, not a complaint

Well I see it as an opinionated complaint.

quote:

Mine, based on a general awareness of the current quality of graphics in the industry, as being the only ones relevant to myself. If your standards are different, and you believe HPS 3D graphics are state-of-the-art, then good for you!

I see so then you are not using any organized authority just an opinionated subjective response to graphics. Thus I would say that makes you shallow and a racist toward graphics. This is the 21st century time to come out of that shell an accept all things for what they are and not for what you want them to be. peace love & harmony.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 59
RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? - 11/6/2009 8:07:59 PM   
Arctic Blast

I think 99.99% of people would agree that HPS graphics engine is incredibly out of date by any standard.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Best ancient time battle wargame? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI