Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Proposal regarding withdrawing units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Proposal regarding withdrawing units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/10/2009 11:41:23 AM   
Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

It has been stated that units will be withdrawn according to historical dates. There are a number of reasons why I don´t like that, imagine for instance the SS units sent to Italy in 1943. The Soviet player knows it is going to happen, so he can sit back until those units are withdrawn to commence an offensive, it detracts from uncertainty in the game.
So, my proposal is, why don´t offer the Axis player an option, so that he can select not withdrawing the units but instead paying a price in victory points?
Post #: 1
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/10/2009 12:11:21 PM   
Hard Sarge

overall, I don't think that is going to be a issue, if the SU player wants to go on the Off, he is not going to be worried if there is a SS Div or Corps around, in fact, you going to be hoping one is around, so you can suck it up with the Off

(in reply to Iñaki Harrizabalagatar)
Post #: 2
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/10/2009 1:37:30 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

It has been stated that units will be withdrawn according to historical dates. There are a number of reasons why I don´t like that, imagine for instance the SS units sent to Italy in 1943. The Soviet player knows it is going to happen, so he can sit back until those units are withdrawn to commence an offensive, it detracts from uncertainty in the game.
So, my proposal is, why don´t offer the Axis player an option, so that he can select not withdrawing the units but instead paying a price in victory points?

I know it's difficult to comprehend since you haven't seen the game yet but the sheer size of the game makes such concerns minor. Rarely does an Axis division amount to more than 1% of overall strength so the withdrawal of a division or two has little impact on the game. As for the Russian player exploiting withdrawals by holding back an offensive until they happen, that is not a good strategy to follow. Time is never on the side of player on the offensive. Once the strategic initiative has shifted to the Russian player, he must attack at every opportunity and relentlessly. Waiting for an Axis division or two to withdrawal will allow scores of equipment and thousands of men to flow to the front lines to reinforce the Axis divisions remaining on the front. Knowing the Axis divisions will withdraw is an advantage of historical hindsight the real Russians didn't (always) have but not likely one you can take too much consolation in.

(in reply to Iñaki Harrizabalagatar)
Post #: 3
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/10/2009 2:02:22 PM   
Kesselring

Why not use the same way in WiR? Plus the removal of player production control, I think the developers are simplifying their work by sacrificing the game quality.

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 4
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/10/2009 3:51:13 PM   
PyleDriver

Here I am agian, the "blue in the face guy". Stop thinking about WIR, this game is so much deeper than that game ever was. And I played it more than any other game ever. So I guess the real problem is waiting...Damn

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Kesselring)
Post #: 5
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/10/2009 4:22:32 PM   
Hard Sarge

also, when on the Attack, you tend to go for the flanks, or the weak sisters, you don't pound your head against the wall, type deal

if you have 6 or 8 Pz Divs in the line across from you, you are in the wrong place for the Off to begin

(of course, somebody is in trouble, already, if they have there Pz Divs in the line, to defend)

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 6
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/10/2009 6:37:17 PM   
Sentinel Six

What happens if a unit is in the line at the time it is mandatorily withdrawn? Does it leave a gap or do you receive advance notice that it is going to be withdrawn so you can replace it in the line with another unit?

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 7
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/10/2009 6:46:50 PM   
Helpless

quote:

What happens if a unit is in the line at the time it is mandatorily withdrawn? Does it leave a gap or do you receive advance notice that it is going to be withdrawn so you can replace it in the line with another unit?

Iirc, there is a three turns notice.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Sentinel Six)
Post #: 8
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/10/2009 7:03:25 PM   
Capt Cliff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kesselring

Why not use the same way in WiR? Plus the removal of player production control, I think the developers are simplifying their work by sacrificing the game quality.

There is a seperate thread for "Free Production" ... wasting your breath here. There will be no free production, but I am hoping to be able to alter, via an editor, the "file" that allows certain tweeking of equipment arrival, etc. But that's from the get go not an in game capability.

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to Kesselring)
Post #: 9
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/10/2009 8:45:12 PM   
Sentinel Six

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helpless

quote:

Iirc, there is a three turns notice.

Thank you

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 10
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/11/2009 3:46:15 AM   
Joel Billings

quote:

Yes we are simplifying our work, by a lot. This is an important point in the world of software development. No we don't believe we are sacrificing quality. We are not including a feature that we realize some people would like to have but which we have specifically decided to leave out based on the design focus of the game, and the various systems that make the game tic (and make it different and we think better than WiR). We think the quality is better than WiR. But they are two very different games. Including a realistic production control model is not a trivial undertaking. That said, if WitE is as popular as WitP, who knows what will happen down the road, but it won't be in the initial product. Of course, for those of you that require production control, there's nothing I'm going to say that's going to change your mind, so I think I'll keep quiet on this from here on out.

(in reply to Kesselring)
Post #: 11
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/11/2009 7:48:01 AM   
Kesselring

My focus in this thread is about the withdraw of troops. Just answer my question, which way is better, the WiR way or the currently planned way? If you choose the latter one, I'll have nothing more to say. Otherwise, please explain why not use the better one. Don't tell me you have already gotten enough improvements such as graphics over WiR which is developed a decade ago, so you can ignore some good features in that game. Simply speaking, your target is to develop a game with acceptable quality instead of maximizing the quality (lol, why not?). It is my fault to place too high hopes on it, sigh.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 12
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/11/2009 9:57:39 AM   
PyleDriver

The currently planned way...WIR offered to much pie in the sky, this doesn't. Work with what you got or we'll shoot you and find someone who can...lol...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Kesselring)
Post #: 13
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/11/2009 10:17:29 AM   
paullus99

Kesselring - WiR was a fantastic game for the time (and still holds up very well for us regular players even today) - I believe that WiTE will be an entirely different animal (really the only similarities between the two are going to be the theater of operation), with much greater attention to detail, logistics, and operations.

For the most part, we're just working off of supposition here, since the game is still in development and hasn't even reached Beta yet. So I would be very careful with stating a bunch of "Facts" that WiR was better - since you don't actually know that.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 14
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/11/2009 11:46:26 AM   
Kesselring

I'm not saying WiR is better, instead, I'm saying that there are some good features in WiR that the WitE should follow to make it as good as possible. These features are not unachivable since there have already been provided by other games such as WiR, WitP, EDBtR. If you all don't want these features, what can I say?

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 15
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/11/2009 12:35:46 PM   
Helpless

The good news about withdrawals that they are not hardcoded anymore. So anyone not happy with historical setup, could mod it out.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Kesselring)
Post #: 16
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/11/2009 1:32:11 PM   
jaw

quote:

I'm not saying WiR is better, instead, I'm saying that there are some good features in WiR that the WitE should follow to make it as good as possible. These features are not unachivable since there have already been provided by other games such as WiR, WitP, EDBtR. If you all don't want these features, what can I say?

First, I think you're forgetting that there were built in withdrawals in WiR in the form of required commitments of panzer divisions to the Southern and Western fronts that rose with each year of the War. These commitments changed precisely on the first turn of each year regardless of what (if anything) was happening on those fronts. The whole off map process was a crude attempt to simulate events in those theatres that anyone who played the game would have to admit was less than satisfying. I remember one game in which I was closing in on Berlin in the summer of 1944 a good year ahead of the historical timetable only to get a message that the Allies had captured Berlin and I had LOST! So much for any historical value in WiR.

Second, the working assumption of WitE is that the events that occurred historically off the Eastern Front will occur at the same time in the game. The withdrawals are the Germans' response to those events. Yes, you can't send more or less or even different units than were withdrawn historically but you also can't be subjected to unpredictable off map results that ruin hours and hours of play. The point of the game is to fight the WAR IN THE EAST not the Eastern front in detail and the rest of Europe in abstraction. In my opinion the fixed withdrawals are a small price to pay for a game in which players' decisions and not the vagarities of some bit of computer code determine the outcome of the game.

< Message edited by jaw -- 11/11/2009 1:41:08 PM >

(in reply to Kesselring)
Post #: 17
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/12/2009 5:24:08 AM   
Kesselring

quote:

ORIGINAL: jaw

quote:

First, I think you're forgetting that there were built in withdrawals in WiR in the form of required commitments of panzer divisions to the Southern and Western fronts that rose with each year of the War. These commitments changed precisely on the first turn of each year regardless of what (if anything) was happening on those fronts. The whole off map process was a crude attempt to simulate events in those theatres that anyone who played the game would have to admit was less than satisfying. I remember one game in which I was closing in on Berlin in the summer of 1944 a good year ahead of the historical timetable only to get a message that the Allies had captured Berlin and I had LOST! So much for any historical value in WiR.

Second, the working assumption of WitE is that the events that occurred historically off the Eastern Front will occur at the same time in the game. The withdrawals are the Germans' response to those events. Yes, you can't send more or less or even different units than were withdrawn historically but you also can't be subjected to unpredictable off map results that ruin hours and hours of play. The point of the game is to fight the WAR IN THE EAST not the Eastern front in detail and the rest of Europe in abstraction. In my opinion the fixed withdrawals are a small price to pay for a game in which players' decisions and not the vagarities of some bit of computer code determine the outcome of the game.

If my memory serves, a historical event such as invasion of Normandy will occur only when the Axis strength is weaker than the Allies' on a certain front, which means the Axis play can reinforce these fronts to avoid these events, instead of waiting them happen at the historical time. In addition, the player can select troops to reinforce these fronts. Which way is better, the WiR way or your way?

Second, if you are playing Axis against computer (I think for most players, they have to play with AI most of the time), probably you can control the situation in the East in the 2nd or 3rd year. In this case, you may have too many troops resting in the East, but still cannot move additional troops to west or Italy to prevent historical events, is that satisfying?

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 18
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/12/2009 5:26:58 AM   
Kesselring

If you need things happen exactly as that in history, you need a history book, not a game. A game needs freedom and flexibility.

(in reply to Kesselring)
Post #: 19
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/12/2009 11:39:37 AM   
paullus99

I really think we need to give these guys the benefit of the doubt on this one - we don't know exactly how it will effect the game (either positive or negative).

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Kesselring)
Post #: 20
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/12/2009 1:40:48 PM   
jaw

quote:

If my memory serves, a historical event such as invasion of Normandy will occur only when the Axis strength is weaker than the Allies' on a certain front, which means the Axis play can reinforce these fronts to avoid these events, instead of waiting them happen at the historical time. In addition, the player can select troops to reinforce these fronts. Which way is better, the WiR way or your way?

Second, if you are playing Axis against computer (I think for most players, they have to play with AI most of the time), probably you can control the situation in the East in the 2nd or 3rd year. In this case, you may have too many troops resting in the East, but still cannot move additional troops to west or Italy to prevent historical events, is that satisfying?

And if memory serves me the WiR code was designed such that you can delay but not actually prevent an historical event from occurring. Adding more than the historical amount of force to a front will buy you a few turns but when the front does shatter it will take all those extra units with it. In short you couldn't WIN the war on the other fronts, just manipulate the historical timetable a bit. Maybe it's just me but that seems like a lot of aggravation for precious little return.

Obviously you never played the Russian side against the AI in WiR. If as the Russian you begin to beat the crap out of the Axis AI, the AI will WITHDRAW units from the other fronts to reinforce the Eastern front. The other fronts will start to shatter and if the Western Allies reach Berlin before you the game considers that an AXIS victory! This was done so that the Russian player couldn't sit on his hands and let the Allies win the war for him. Essentially WiR was unplayable against an Axis AI because the AI could not perform the delicate balance necessary to hold the other fronts to a reasonably historic timetable.

As for WitE, the game will never end with a message that says the Allies capture Berlin. Aside from the withdrawals and the diversion of production to other theatres, the war off the Eastern front has no effect on the game. You, as the Russian player, must fight your way into the Reich and crush the Ost Heer before the game ends to win. I find that far more satisfying than WiR.

(in reply to Kesselring)
Post #: 21
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/12/2009 4:52:15 PM   
Kesselring

quote:

ORIGINAL: jaw

quote:

And if memory serves me the WiR code was designed such that you can delay but not actually prevent an historical event from occurring. Adding more than the historical amount of force to a front will buy you a few turns but when the front does shatter it will take all those extra units with it. In short you couldn't WIN the war on the other fronts, just manipulate the historical timetable a bit. Maybe it's just me but that seems like a lot of aggravation for precious little return.

Obviously you never played the Russian side against the AI in WiR. If as the Russian you begin to beat the crap out of the Axis AI, the AI will WITHDRAW units from the other fronts to reinforce the Eastern front. The other fronts will start to shatter and if the Western Allies reach Berlin before you the game considers that an AXIS victory! This was done so that the Russian player couldn't sit on his hands and let the Allies win the war for him. Essentially WiR was unplayable against an Axis AI because the AI could not perform the delicate balance necessary to hold the other fronts to a reasonably historic timetable.

As for WitE, the game will never end with a message that says the Allies capture Berlin. Aside from the withdrawals and the diversion of production to other theatres, the war off the Eastern front has no effect on the game. You, as the Russian player, must fight your way into the Reich and crush the Ost Heer before the game ends to win. I find that far more satisfying than WiR.

Since you have known the problems in WiR such as the event cannt be completely stopped and the AI cannot reinforce West/Italy front, you should first try to fix these problems while keeping the good features, instead of totally remove these parts. I'm not compare WitE with WiR. My point is: try to use some good features in the existing games to make WitE as good as possible.

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 22
RE: Proposal regarding withdrawing units - 11/13/2009 1:04:24 PM   
jaw

quote:

Since you have known the problems in WiR such as the event cannt be completely stopped and the AI cannot reinforce West/Italy front, you should first try to fix these problems while keeping the good features, instead of totally remove these parts. I'm not compare WitE with WiR. My point is: try to use some good features in the existing games to make WitE as good as possible.

Believe me, if the designer and producer had chosen to replicate the off-map fronts of WiR I would have lobbied very hard to correct these problems in WitE. However the intention was to model the game after the original SPI board game by the same name. You may be too young to remember the original but it was considered one of the masterpieces of the monster game era of board wargames. The sales figures of WitE will tell whether this design concept was the correct one or the futile pursuit of a fond memory that doesn't satisfy the desires of today's wargaming public.

Having played the game I'll put my money on WitE being a hit.

(in reply to Kesselring)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Proposal regarding withdrawing units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI