Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pegasus Bridge No Axis Entry Point

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> Tech Support >> Pegasus Bridge No Axis Entry Point Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pegasus Bridge No Axis Entry Point - 11/29/2009 2:27:01 AM   
panzerlehr62

In testing the map entry points I noticed this map didn't have an axis entry point (German depot map). I also noticed because of this that the returning German BG could get 2 diffrent starting points. None made a lot sense (mainly uses the allied drop area, but sometimes it sets up accoss north area above the bridge), considering which edge (right lower corner) the BG should be counter attacking from.

Gz..

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Pegasus Bridge No Axis Entry Point - 11/29/2009 2:30:52 AM   
panzerlehr62

This is what I thought might be the best balance to put them on the right side of the map and still give them some area to work with. Again, I havn't seen another German depot map without an entry point and thats why I am bringing this up.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to panzerlehr62)
Post #: 2
RE: Pegasus Bridge No Axis Entry Point - 11/29/2009 3:38:02 AM   
FeurerKrieg

That's looks like the right spot to me.

I am curious if the devs will say this is a bug or not.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

Post #: 3
RE: Pegasus Bridge No Axis Entry Point - 11/29/2009 4:13:29 AM   
Tejszd

The Axis default direction/side is to the West (left) thus the game will tend to give an appearing GE BG the entry locations you describe.

I don't agree with your proposed Axis entry point. The most likely direction for reinforcements would be from the West (left) or South (bottom). If you look at Google maps you will see that the center area is really an island with no crossing points to the North (top) though to the south (bottom) there is another a bridge that forces could use to get on the island....

< Message edited by Tejszd -- 12/5/2009 1:41:41 AM >

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 4
RE: Pegasus Bridge No Axis Entry Point - 11/29/2009 2:18:26 PM   
RD Oddball

Spot on reply Tejszd.

Aside from Tejszd or any of the other CC regulars you see in these forums Cathartes would be the only one of that group able to speak to the decision making used in the BTD layouts for GJS maps.... which is where this map originally appeared and is used by us with his gracious permission.

Personally I feel the design as it exists in the game makes the most sense. The Axis entry points give the AB BG on that map half a chance of holding it. IMO if the airborne BG kicks the enemy BG off the map they or any oncoming BG should have the advantage in the form of the best defendable position on this specific map. The Axis entry points do this. To agree again with Darren's point the entry points to my knowledge too are historically accurate as well as a good design decision on this map.

The allied entry point is the most likely spot any airborne reinforcements would've came had there been any historically in the form of additional airborne drops. If a BG from the beaches enters this map they'll come in on the VL of the map of origination.

ONLY AB BG's are allowed to use entry VL's identified as airborne entry points. Anything else would only be able to use those VL's identified as it's sides entry point OR a VL from the adjoining map of origination.

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 5
RE: Pegasus Bridge No Axis Entry Point - 11/29/2009 3:56:19 PM   
panzerlehr62

Hi Guys,

One of the things FK and I have been looking into is trying to offer BGs entering maps (be it by depot or just entering) a little more area to work with and possible be able to survive the opening battle. We found on some maps the entry point was 1 in from the edge, that seemed to give a little more area to work with. So were we could we moved them all in the same on all the maps (again trying to be consistant). We also adjusted some maybe 1 up or down from a road to push it further away from a river to basically keep the BG on that side of the river making the bridge the bottleneck that it was designed to be.

I did look at the maps of that area very carefully (I even wanted to use Amfreville as the "from town" but didn't want to confuse the other town used in the game). Yes, below the Troarn bridge (south) is the exact spot I would choose if you wanted to be 100% historically accurate. Because it is after that point the road splits and would be the logical location for a German counter attack to come from. It could be placed there, but I think that would be worse then coming in from the west side of the map (as far as making it past one turn).

Now if this isn't a game error to leave off the axis entry location on this map (only 1 in the game I know of), then my error. I just found it odd overall. The fact the Germans can come from the Benouville area (Top area map) from time to time is odd to me also esp. when the allies could be in control Benouville(which was the case when I seen it happen). I actually thought that spot to the lower east worked great for a German entry point and seperated the allied drop point at the same time plus offered the Germans some relief from the buildings in the north (again I am looking at this playablity wise as well as being as historically accurate as possible). Also I realize these maps are only a small portion of the area they are deplicting and thus units could actually be coming from any area if one so desired but it does seem the design of the game tends to try and use the most logical choice (ie the area around the strategic map).

Again, no big deal to me, it was just somethg I noticed that was a little diffrent from the way the rest of the depot maps were done. Hopefully the German BG will reform to the west in the GC FK and I have going this turn and we can see how that plays out.

Gz..

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 6
RE: Pegasus Bridge No Axis Entry Point - 12/4/2009 5:01:42 PM   
RD Oddball

Definitely insightful feedback. There are always many good ways to set this stuff up.

There should be more than one German entry point although it's not critical that they have any. There are two things more important. That the allies have entry points corresponding to the invasion landing locations and that the VL's lining the edge of the strat map be properly identified as which side can use them for BG's returning from disbandment or retreating. You don't want German BG's respawning on the beaches. Other than that I'd personally say you could mod just about anything for playability sake to suit your tastes and knowledge of history.

Post #: 7
RE: Pegasus Bridge No Axis Entry Point - 12/5/2009 12:53:30 AM   
panzerlehr62

Hello RD,

What we didn't like was the computer was selecting at least 2 diffrent entry points. Main one was coming in from Colombelles and every now and again it could be at Benouville. We decided to use a South/West location, trying to keep to realism and at the same time give the Germans a little more cover (all be it just a little). Using a south entry point (on the otherside of the Ranville Bridge) was just not in the cards for this map, as it just offered very little chance of survival if this map was already in Allies control.

I want to thank all at Matrix for letting FK and I use the main Strategic map to display the Mod points, we hope it will come in handy.

Gz..

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by panzerlehr62 -- 12/5/2009 12:57:07 AM >

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 8
RE: Pegasus Bridge No Axis Entry Point - 12/6/2009 3:23:17 PM   
RD Oddball

Yes, thank YOU!

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> Tech Support >> Pegasus Bridge No Axis Entry Point Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI