Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Upgrading to SPWAW V4.4

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Upgrading to SPWAW V4.4 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Upgrading to SPWAW V4.4 - 11/12/2000 1:02:00 AM   
mfritze

Folks, I would like to upgrade to SPWAW V4.4. (I'm currently running V2.3). I only have a dial-up connection and the file would take over 40 hours to download!! I have a fast connection at work but a ZIP disk only holds 100 Megs. How can I upgrade to V4.4?? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, Mike Fritze ------------------

Post #: 1
- 11/12/2000 1:26:00 AM   
GrinningDwarf

Apparently, the December issue of Computer Gaming World (I know the initials are CGW, but I'm not sure what the W stands for) comes with a demo CD containing the complete 4.something version. Would that work for you?

Sergeant to new replacements on the line: I may not have time to tell you to duck, but if you see me dive for the ground you might want to think about why I'm doing it.

(in reply to mfritze)
Post #: 2
- 11/12/2000 2:04:00 AM   
Tankhead

quote:

Originally posted by mfritze: Folks, I would like to upgrade to SPWAW V4.4. (I'm currently running V2.3). I only have a dial-up connection and the file would take over 40 hours to download!! I have a fast connection at work but a ZIP disk only holds 100 Megs. How can I upgrade to V4.4?? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, Mike Fritze
Hi Mike! You have a fast connection at work download the game on the hard-drive then use the zip option, use the multi disks span option in this way you will be able to transfer the game on multiple Zip disk. Hope this helps you out. I've done this before and works great. Tankhead ------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]rcclout@telusplanet.net[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://tankhead.home.icq.com

Tankhead

(in reply to mfritze)
Post #: 3
- 11/12/2000 8:33:00 PM   
mfritze

Thanks a lot for the help. I have picked up the Nov issue of CGW. Is there a mag devoted to wargame reviews & analysis?? Mike
quote:

Originally posted by GrinningDwarf: Apparently, the December issue of Computer Gaming World (I know the initials are CGW, but I'm not sure what the W stands for) comes with a demo CD containing the complete 4.something version. Would that work for you?[/B]

(in reply to mfritze)
Post #: 4
- 11/12/2000 8:36:00 PM   
mfritze

Tankhead, Thanks for the info. I picked up CGW. I also did not know how to get large files with multiple ZIP disks. Mike
quote:

Originally posted by Tankhead: Hi Mike! You have a fast connection at work download the game on the hard-drive then use the zip option, use the multi disks span option in this way you will be able to transfer the game on multiple Zip disk. Hope this helps you out. I've done this before and works great. Tankhead

(in reply to mfritze)
Post #: 5
- 11/12/2000 8:38:00 PM   
mfritze

Tankhead, Thanks for the info. I picked up CGW. I also did not know how to get large files with multiple ZIP disks. Mike
quote:

Originally posted by Tankhead: Hi Mike! You have a fast connection at work download the game on the hard-drive then use the zip option, use the multi disks span option in this way you will be able to transfer the game on multiple Zip disk. Hope this helps you out. I've done this before and works great. Tankhead

(in reply to mfritze)
Post #: 6
- 11/13/2000 6:33:00 AM   
Rhone

You can also go to the PC Magazine website and do a search on Splice32. It's a program that will break any file (including zips) into smaller sizes of your choice. For instance, you can break a 400 meg file into 4 100 meg files. Then you copy the files into another directory and reconstruct it using the executable file the program creates. It is very simple and is great for allowing downloads at homepages that limit the size of your files. (for instance my website for Close Combat at www.geocities.com/dutch0008/

(in reply to mfritze)
Post #: 7
- 11/18/2000 7:43:00 AM   
Cmdrcain

The Upgrade screens not TOOO clear, the december CGW is version 4.0 Now HOW do you upgrade to 4.4? Seems say if have 4.0 you need d/l a COMPLETE game version of what? 4.1 or 4.2? I'd think if one d/ls the patch to 4.1 patchs then the patch to 4.2, patchs then d/l patch to 4.4 and patchs the patched to 4.2 to 4.4 it should work, but seems say if Got 4.0 you need d/l another COMPLETE game version!! Cant I patch 4.0 to 4.1 then 4.1 to 4.2 and then 4.2 to 4.4? Otherwise I wasted 8.95 buying CGW Dec magazine to get a 4.0 version which has bugs? To can one answer my question on just how to exactly go from 4.0 to 4.4 without making a complete game d/l?

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to mfritze)
Post #: 8
- 11/18/2000 9:31:00 AM   
degen

Cmdrcain- Upgrading to 4.4 is as you described. Go to the Matrix Games update page for SPWAW (or any of the other supporting sites, like Tankheads) and download the patches 4.1 thru 4.4. The patches are not that large and are easy to download even with a slow connection (like mine!). You will also need winzip to open them. Then double click on each patch to start the upgrade process. It takes just a few minutes. Enjoy! ------------------ "I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

(in reply to mfritze)
Post #: 9
- 11/23/2000 7:27:00 AM   
warhead

Are any other zines going to carry SPWAW 4.+? I know CGW has 4.0 in its Dec. issue.

Backstage at the '76 Mr.Olympia: Serge Nubrut to Arnold "I look like I can take you"...Arnold "keep looking"

(in reply to mfritze)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Upgrading to SPWAW V4.4 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI