Upgrading to SPWAW V4.4 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

mfritze -> Upgrading to SPWAW V4.4 (11/12/2000 1:02:00 AM)

Folks, I would like to upgrade to SPWAW V4.4. (I'm currently running V2.3). I only have a dial-up connection and the file would take over 40 hours to download!! I have a fast connection at work but a ZIP disk only holds 100 Megs. How can I upgrade to V4.4?? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, Mike Fritze ------------------

GrinningDwarf -> (11/12/2000 1:26:00 AM)

Apparently, the December issue of Computer Gaming World (I know the initials are CGW, but I'm not sure what the W stands for) comes with a demo CD containing the complete 4.something version. Would that work for you?

Tankhead -> (11/12/2000 2:04:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by mfritze: Folks, I would like to upgrade to SPWAW V4.4. (I'm currently running V2.3). I only have a dial-up connection and the file would take over 40 hours to download!! I have a fast connection at work but a ZIP disk only holds 100 Megs. How can I upgrade to V4.4?? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, Mike Fritze
Hi Mike! You have a fast connection at work download the game on the hard-drive then use the zip option, use the multi disks span option in this way you will be able to transfer the game on multiple Zip disk. Hope this helps you out. I've done this before and works great. Tankhead ------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]rcclout@telusplanet.net[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://tankhead.home.icq.com

mfritze -> (11/12/2000 8:33:00 PM)

Thanks a lot for the help. I have picked up the Nov issue of CGW. Is there a mag devoted to wargame reviews & analysis?? Mike
quote:

Originally posted by GrinningDwarf: Apparently, the December issue of Computer Gaming World (I know the initials are CGW, but I'm not sure what the W stands for) comes with a demo CD containing the complete 4.something version. Would that work for you?[/B]

mfritze -> (11/12/2000 8:36:00 PM)

Tankhead, Thanks for the info. I picked up CGW. I also did not know how to get large files with multiple ZIP disks. Mike
quote:

Originally posted by Tankhead: Hi Mike! You have a fast connection at work download the game on the hard-drive then use the zip option, use the multi disks span option in this way you will be able to transfer the game on multiple Zip disk. Hope this helps you out. I've done this before and works great. Tankhead

mfritze -> (11/12/2000 8:38:00 PM)

Tankhead, Thanks for the info. I picked up CGW. I also did not know how to get large files with multiple ZIP disks. Mike
quote:

Originally posted by Tankhead: Hi Mike! You have a fast connection at work download the game on the hard-drive then use the zip option, use the multi disks span option in this way you will be able to transfer the game on multiple Zip disk. Hope this helps you out. I've done this before and works great. Tankhead

Rhone -> (11/13/2000 6:33:00 AM)

You can also go to the PC Magazine website and do a search on Splice32. It's a program that will break any file (including zips) into smaller sizes of your choice. For instance, you can break a 400 meg file into 4 100 meg files. Then you copy the files into another directory and reconstruct it using the executable file the program creates. It is very simple and is great for allowing downloads at homepages that limit the size of your files. (for instance my website for Close Combat at www.geocities.com/dutch0008/

Cmdrcain -> (11/18/2000 7:43:00 AM)

The Upgrade screens not TOOO clear, the december CGW is version 4.0 Now HOW do you upgrade to 4.4? Seems say if have 4.0 you need d/l a COMPLETE game version of what? 4.1 or 4.2? I'd think if one d/ls the patch to 4.1 patchs then the patch to 4.2, patchs then d/l patch to 4.4 and patchs the patched to 4.2 to 4.4 it should work, but seems say if Got 4.0 you need d/l another COMPLETE game version!! Cant I patch 4.0 to 4.1 then 4.1 to 4.2 and then 4.2 to 4.4? Otherwise I wasted 8.95 buying CGW Dec magazine to get a 4.0 version which has bugs? To can one answer my question on just how to exactly go from 4.0 to 4.4 without making a complete game d/l?

degen -> (11/18/2000 9:31:00 AM)

Cmdrcain- Upgrading to 4.4 is as you described. Go to the Matrix Games update page for SPWAW (or any of the other supporting sites, like Tankheads) and download the patches 4.1 thru 4.4. The patches are not that large and are easy to download even with a slow connection (like mine!). You will also need winzip to open them. Then double click on each patch to start the upgrade process. It takes just a few minutes. Enjoy! ------------------ "I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

warhead -> (11/23/2000 7:27:00 AM)

Are any other zines going to carry SPWAW 4.+? I know CGW has 4.0 in its Dec. issue.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI