Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Any EUIII Fans in the House?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Any EUIII Fans in the House? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any EUIII Fans in the House? - 12/5/2009 9:16:00 PM   
Anthropoid

Any of you guys players of Europa Universalis III? If not, you might seriously want to give it a try. Operates at a lower-resolution scale than CoGEE does, and offers considerably less detailed economic control, etc., but overall I think it is the type of game that CoGEE players will like.

Curious to hear if any of you guys play it, and your thoughts, rants, or bravado.

I've only learned about it the last couple weeks, and it has been my only game for the past week or so. I've got a game as French started in 1399 Grand Campaign and I'm up to about 1468 or so. Just started New World exploration and the Spanish and Portugese seem to be at least one step ahead of me. Have finally got my inflation down where I am happy with it (~1.7 or 1.8). Have kicked England off the continent except for Calais, annexed most of Burgundy and some of Lorraine, and annexed most of my vassals (except Bearn and Provence. So France has nearly taken on its "modern" geographical silhouette, though perhaps with a bit more extent in Belgium than in the Pyrennees. Also have not moved into Rousillon.

The historical reality that this game achieves is amazing, though it might seem to a non-history buff to just be unfun, cause you are constantly hammered by random events that force you to adapt and which undermine your megalomaniac expansionism. I was a big Civ player for a long time, and what I love about this game is how much closer it seems to modeling the real challenges of a nation expanding than Sid's game's have done. I have to applaud Paradox for making a game that is this inherently 'difficult' (though the AI is still a moron of course).

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3
Post #: 1
RE: Any EUIII Fans in the House? - 12/6/2009 1:44:57 AM   
06 Maestro

I have had EU 3 for quite some time. I think it is a very good game, but I have not played it at all for over 6 months. There is just not enough time for all the good games.

Playing against the ai, CoG EE has it beat IMO simply by the battles alone. Warfare in EU is heavily abstracted. I've never played EU in MP mode so I cannot make any comparisons in that area.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 2
RE: Any EUIII Fans in the House? - 12/6/2009 4:01:50 PM   
Steely Glint

What Maestro said.

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 3
RE: Any EUIII Fans in the House? - 12/8/2009 5:12:16 PM   
ant1815

Yeah, I've been a big EU fan since the original. After thoroughly enjoying EU2 I wasn't impressed with what I was hearing about EU3, but after numerous patches and two expansion packs it seemed to be greatly improved, so I bought it. It's quite good fun, but for some reason I still prefer EU2. It's far more tied to historical events than EU3 and just feels a little more 'historically authentic' than the more sandbox feel of EU3

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 4
RE: Any EUIII Fans in the House? - 12/8/2009 11:37:37 PM   
Anthropoid

Wow, you guys think EU3 is a bit ahistorical eh? You certainly shouldn't bother with the Civ games then!

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to ant1815)
Post #: 5
RE: Any EUIII Fans in the House? - 12/9/2009 12:27:15 PM   
ant1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

Wow, you guys think EU3 is a bit ahistorical eh? You certainly shouldn't bother with the Civ games then!

The CIV games make no pretence at historical accuracy, or even much historical flavour, the EU games do, or at least used to.

It's a bit of a tightrope with historical games like EU or COGEE. Do you rigidly control the game with historic scripted events and rules, or merely 'set the scene' and have an open game world? The first option leads to a far more historic game, but can render the player as little more than a passenger at times. The second option gives the player far more freedom, but usually ends up as much a fantasy game as CIV.

The Paradox games seem to have been moving in the direction of the latter option, and many of their fans don't like it. There are already quite a few moans about their new WW2 game: HOI3, in which WW2 might never actually break out.

The various patches and the two expansions have changed EU3 quite a bit. It's now shifted far more toward the more historic side of things than it used to be, but still not as much as EU2 was. Doesn't make it a bad game of course, far from it. I actually really like it, but I still preferred EU2.

BTW Are you playing EU3 'vanilla' or did you get the 'In Nomine' and 'Napoleon's ambition' expansions too?

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 6
RE: Any EUIII Fans in the House? - 12/9/2009 9:23:44 PM   
Anthropoid

EUIII Complete, i.e., with IN and NA. The one thing I _really_ don't like about this game is that, you cannot tell it to do a pausepopup message everytime your composition of advisors in your Court changes. I'm playing the "Advisor's Mod" by Antracer now, but even that doesn't really address this flaw. I understand that Heir to the Throne will address this. Unfortuntely for me, by the time HTT comes out, I will probably (hopefully!) be over this godawful head cold and will not be able to play as much. Indeed, having been sick for a week, there is going to be hell to pay!!

(in reply to ant1815)
Post #: 7
RE: Any EUIII Fans in the House? - 12/10/2009 9:57:15 AM   
terje439

I like EUIII and played it alot. Castillian forces were everywhere at the end
And then all my colonies started to demand liberation...Ungrateful SOBs...
But a fun game, but I do prefer CoG/FoF anyday tbh, love the detailed battles.

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 8
RE: Any EUIII Fans in the House? - 12/11/2009 8:49:43 PM   
Mus

If you like EUIII Anthropoid check out Crusader Kings by the same publisher. I think they had a pack with it's expansion that is really cheap.

Basically you manage a dynasty in a feudal context and can start as anyone in the game, rise from a count to a duke to a king to an emperor and back again depending on how things work out. Your family trees get very complicated and because of this other families get claims on your lands and vice versa that lead to wars with other Christian families, plus you have to defend Christendom from the Muslim invaders.

It is an excellent game that uses the same engine and the highly abstracted combat works better for the more limited scope of medieval warfare.

Edit: correction, Crusader Kings used the EUII engine.

< Message edited by Mus -- 12/11/2009 8:55:53 PM >

Mindset, Tactics, Skill, Equipment
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 9
RE: Any EUIII Fans in the House? - 12/12/2009 10:57:30 AM   
Kingmaker

HiHi

Yer that looks quite a good one Mus, if you still play the game could you check out for me if you can actually start play as Warwick, England (my home county); and it's billed as needing XP but will it play OK in Vista (a lot of games do) or in Vistas XP compatability mode.

Cheers

All the Best
Peter

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 10
RE: Any EUIII Fans in the House? - 12/15/2009 4:05:09 AM   
Mus

I haven't had it installed in a long while Peter, but they originally had placeholder counts for many counties and in the readme notes for one of the patches it specifically mentions replacing a placeholder count for Warwick county with Beauchamp, so my guess would be yes.

No idea on the XPVista issues. My impression was that many games work just fine, check the forum for it on the Paradox website maybe.

I have been thinking about getting Crusader Kings with the expansion when I saw it on sale somewhere for cheap. I heard the expansion fixed issues with breeding heirs like horses, bride hunting, etc. I remember it being quite tedious digging through the family trees looking for suitable women trying to breed the Kwisatz Haderach as an heir.

< Message edited by Mus -- 12/15/2009 4:10:14 AM >

Mindset, Tactics, Skill, Equipment
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

(in reply to Kingmaker)
Post #: 11
RE: Any EUIII Fans in the House? - 12/15/2009 5:06:26 AM   
06 Maestro

Peter

I'll have answer for you in a day or two.

I had an odd little accident a few eeks ago-I unloaded some HoI files into the EU3 folder. I just tried to open the game, but there were data file errors while attempting to load. A re installation is in order.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 12
RE: Any EUIII Fans in the House? - 12/15/2009 8:43:39 AM   
Kingmaker

HiHi

Cheers Mus & 06, have taken the plunge and ordered it through Amazon, at just under £12 for CK-DV not much lost if it does turn out to be a Bummer, but from reading the AAR etc it does look to be a real "Goodun", and the DV add on does seem to have cleared up a lot of the Bugs etc, not too sure about the PBEM side which seems to be collaborative rather than competitive, but then I may have picked up the wrong end of the stick.

I reckon that some of the ideas could be adapted by WCS if/when they go down the 100yrs War route, especially the Breeding offsprings/Intrigue side, which reminds me very much of a fantastic board game (without the Board, just cardboard counters with info on and score sheets) I picked up in Philadelphia way back in the 80's called "Kill the King".

Aaaanyhow after several hours of reading the AARs & FAQs I'm getting really impatient for it to arrive so Thanks again for the tip off Mus.

All the Best
Peter

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Any EUIII Fans in the House? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI