Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Has 1,07 fixed the leader casuality bug?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> RE: Has 1,07 fixed the leader casuality bug? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Has 1,07 fixed the leader casuality bug? - 12/12/2009 6:42:35 AM   
RJCowan

I wonder whether we are misunderstanding the bug here.  From bresh's 30 battle test, I would have expected each side to have had five casualties, on the average, not one.  So it seems like the game might be correctly rolling for each side, looking for a six...when it gets a six, it chooses a general randomly...and then it ignores the result of the second die roll (or never makes one) unless that general is the commanding officer.  That last part of the process (taking a non-commander off the map when injured) is where I'd look for a code problem.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 31
RE: Has 1,07 fixed the leader casuality bug? - 12/12/2009 7:52:28 AM   
ndrose

quote:

ORIGINAL: RJCowan

I wonder whether we are misunderstanding the bug here.  From bresh's 30 battle test, I would have expected each side to have had five casualties, on the average, not one.  So it seems like the game might be correctly rolling for each side, looking for a six...when it gets a six, it chooses a general randomly...and then it ignores the result of the second die roll (or never makes one) unless that general is the commanding officer.  That last part of the process (taking a non-commander off the map when injured) is where I'd look for a code problem.

One casualty per side tracks the correct rate, per original rules:

[ 12.7 ] LEADER CASUALTIES: After the completion of a field or limited field combat, a trivial combat, or a naval combat ,each side with a leader or leaders present checks to see if any became casualties in the combat by rolling two dice. Rolling a " 12 " indicates a leader casualty. If a casualty is indicated, randomly choose a leader counter from among those present (if more than one is present) and roll one die for the chosen leader. If a "6" is rolled, the leader casualty is "killed" and taken permanently from the game. On any other roll, the leader casualty is "wounded" and taken from the map for a number of complete months equal to the die roll number.

Rolling a "12" means two 6's: a 1/36 chance. The bit of the 1.06 in-game manual quoted in an earlier message says 1/6, but that must have been an error; the 1.07 manual says 1/36, which is correct. So that part's OK.

I haven't done any specific testing on this problem, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen a casualty that wasn't the senior leader, so it seems clear something's amiss with that.

(in reply to RJCowan)
Post #: 32
RE: Has 1,07 fixed the leader casuality bug? - 12/14/2009 4:32:42 AM   
RJCowan

I agree, but the game isn't using the board game rules.  The manual was quoted above, where apparently only 1D6 is now rolled to determine whether there is a casualty, and on a 6 there is one.  The printed manual says 1D12 and a 12 gets a casualty, which would still average 2.5 casualties per side in 30 combats.  Since the manual is inconsistent with itself, I don't know exactly what is done in game to determine that there is a casualty.  But it appears that more casualties should result than in the board game.

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 33
RE: Has 1,07 fixed the leader casuality bug? - 12/14/2009 2:02:21 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Tha manual should be updated as well as the roll which was fixed way back! I am actually rolling 2d6 per the original game. This was not the case before 1.04 in which I believe this was fixed??? Maybe even earlier...

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to RJCowan)
Post #: 34
RE: Has 1,07 fixed the leader casuality bug? - 12/14/2009 11:06:23 PM   
Marshall Ellis

UPDATE!

Hey guys:

I did some testing today and found that the leader casualty was NOT being selected randomly. It was also not always the main leader being selected but had to do mainly with the unit number and db ordering. I have fixed this in 1.08 and have tested it where it is a complete random selection! Appreciate the ping to get back to look at this!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> RE: Has 1,07 fixed the leader casuality bug? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI