Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Terrain, Combat Calculation and HQ's

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Terrain, Combat Calculation and HQ's Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Terrain, Combat Calculation and HQ's - 1/1/2010 7:49:17 PM   
Andriko

Hi guys,

I have three questions I am a little unsure of:

1: How does terrain effect combat? I know that attacking FROM a river hex causes a %30 penalty, but what about defending on one? Also, if I am in a forest, do I get defensive bonuses, or only if my enemy attacks FROM the forest (a la the river penalty).

2: How is combat actualy resolved?

3: What is the best use of Corps and Army HQs?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Terrain, Combat Calculation and HQ's - 1/1/2010 8:13:22 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andriko

Hi guys,

I have three questions I am a little unsure of:

1: How does terrain effect combat? I know that attacking FROM a river hex causes a %30 penalty, but what about defending on one? Also, if I am in a forest, do I get defensive bonuses, or only if my enemy attacks FROM the forest (a la the river penalty).

2: How is combat actualy resolved?

3: What is the best use of Corps and Army HQs?

Thanks!

Defending on a river gets no river benefit. It can make it hard for the enemy to attack you, though, if it is a major river. Defending in a forest gets the forest benefit.

Combat is resolved by pushing the "Resolve All Attacks" button.

HQs provide a supply boost to adjacent cooperative units. Depending upon how they are constructed, they may provide traffic assistance (if they contain MPs) or even act as artillery (if they contain ranged equipment).

(in reply to Andriko)
Post #: 2
RE: Terrain, Combat Calculation and HQ's - 1/1/2010 8:33:10 PM   
Andriko

Thanks. On point 2 I think I wasn't clear, I know how to reolve it (with the button). I meant, how is it calculated - ie. what happens DURING the resolution :p

I think on HQ's I wasn't too clear also - I meant the larger HQ units with no directy attached or cooperative units. For example, I have by division HQ with its Infantry brigades etc, and also a Corps HQ with nothing attached, and an Army HQ with nothing attached. What is the best use of those particular units?

Thanks for the help!

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3
RE: Terrain, Combat Calculation and HQ's - 1/2/2010 3:55:33 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andriko

Thanks. On point 2 I think I wasn't clear, I know how to reolve it (with the button). I meant, how is it calculated - ie. what happens DURING the resolution :p

In simple terms, each side's equipment fires at each other - some cumulatively, some individually. Defender support first, then Attacker support, then the Defenders themselves, and finally the Attackers themselves. Some equipment gets more than one shot. There are both AT and AP segments as well. Then the combat can extend multiple rounds depending upon various factors. Basically it could require a term paper to properly describe.

quote:

I think on HQ's I wasn't too clear also - I meant the larger HQ units with no directy attached or cooperative units. For example, I have by division HQ with its Infantry brigades etc, and also a Corps HQ with nothing attached, and an Army HQ with nothing attached. What is the best use of those particular units?

It makes no difference as far as the game system is concerned. They provide the same supply boost to cooperative units as any other HQ. Individual scenarios, however, may have special events or rules concerning them.

(in reply to Andriko)
Post #: 4
RE: Terrain, Combat Calculation and HQ's - 1/2/2010 8:10:48 PM   
Andriko

Ok, I get it now. Thanks for the help!

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 5
RE: Terrain, Combat Calculation and HQ's - 1/3/2010 6:05:25 AM   
ralphtricky

Another affect of HQs is that I believe that losing the HQ attached to a formation makes it more likely to go into re-organization and you don't gain as much supply for that formation.

Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to Andriko)
Post #: 6
RE: Terrain, Combat Calculation and HQ's - 1/3/2010 5:09:26 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

Another affect of HQs is that I believe that losing the HQ attached to a formation makes it more likely to go into re-organization

I think that's only if the HQ has command squads in it - and you get that effect if just those command squads are eliminated, regardless of whether the HQ unit is eliminated.

quote:

and you don't gain as much supply for that formation.

Only if the HQ contained supply squads - and again, it's the loss of those squads, not the HQ that matters. The effect is proportionate to what fraction of those squads are lost.

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Terrain, Combat Calculation and HQ's Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI