Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WHY did the game do this ???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> WHY did the game do this ??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WHY did the game do this ??? - 1/8/2010 1:06:50 AM   
FAdmiral

In late Feb 1942, an AA unit & an inf. unit arrived in Bora Bora. Bora Bora is an atoll with NOTHING there.
Port is 0, Airfield is 0. Ships cannot load the troops, planes cannot land there. I am not sure about subs
but I tried to send PBYs there to transport the troops to another base. That was working until ALL the PBYs
became damaged and there is no unit there to repair them. I suppose my only recourse is to transport
an eng. unit there with more PBYs so it can repair the damaged PBYs so they can continue there SLOW
process of removing the troops. Is this a bug or is the game just giving me a lesson in micromangaement ???

JIM
Post #: 1
RE: WHY did the game do this ??? - 1/8/2010 1:09:27 AM   
John Lansford

Bora Bora was an important refueling base during WWII; it was upgraded by the US during the war.

(in reply to FAdmiral)
Post #: 2
RE: WHY did the game do this ??? - 1/8/2010 2:00:17 AM   
Skyros

The PBYs should have been placed at an airfield within range and set to pick up the troops.

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 3
RE: WHY did the game do this ??? - 1/8/2010 3:35:59 AM   
wwengr

quote:

ORIGINAL: FAdmiral

In late Feb 1942, an AA unit & an inf. unit arrived in Bora Bora. Bora Bora is an atoll with NOTHING there.
Port is 0, Airfield is 0. Ships cannot load the troops, planes cannot land there. I am not sure about subs
but I tried to send PBYs there to transport the troops to another base. That was working until ALL the PBYs
became damaged and there is no unit there to repair them. I suppose my only recourse is to transport
an eng. unit there with more PBYs so it can repair the damaged PBYs so they can continue there SLOW
process of removing the troops. Is this a bug or is the game just giving me a lesson in micromangaement ???

JIM

As John stated, the US turned Bora Bora into a supply and fuel depot. With SPS 0 and 0, it can't become big base. If you send an AV, AVD, or AVP there, it should take care of the PBY's. An AK or AKL can land supplies. You could try taking the troops out by Naval Evacuation using either a Fast Transport or Amphibious Task Force. In the end, I am not sure those two little battalions are worth the effort to evacuate.

I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!

(in reply to FAdmiral)
Post #: 4
RE: WHY did the game do this ??? - 1/8/2010 4:20:19 AM   
Fishbed

is Bora Bora actually 0;0?
Cuz there's room for an honest airstrip down there, and an adequate anchorage

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=bora+bora&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Bora-Bora,+%C3%8Eles+Sous-le-Vent,+Polyn%C3%A9sie+fran%C3%A7aise&ei=0rFGS-2dM8-HkAXz9qj7Ag&ved=0CAwQ8gEwAA&ll=-16.444358,-151.751618&spn=0.021691,0.033088&t=h&z=15

Can a SPS(0) be built up to 2 or is it nill for good?

(in reply to wwengr)
Post #: 5
RE: WHY did the game do this ??? - 1/8/2010 4:35:16 AM   
bradfordkay

SPS (0) can be built up to 3 (0). 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 6
RE: WHY did the game do this ??? - 1/8/2010 4:55:49 AM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

SPS (0) can be built up to 3 (0). 

.... though it costs 10x normal to get from SPS 0(0) to SPS 1(0). (p 215)

This is what normally prevents bases from popping up all over the place. It can still be done, it just takes a bit more effort!!

< Message edited by Reg -- 1/8/2010 5:01:59 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 7
RE: WHY did the game do this ??? - 1/8/2010 7:54:50 AM   
Smeulders

They start there for the benefit of the American AI. Not too sure about the exact explanation, but it had something to do with not getting the AI to send the troops there otherwise or something like that. Best way to get them off if you don't want to build up the base is to let the PBY fly from a nearby base and use the 'pick up troop' (first supply transport to BB, then the option of pick up troops should become available) instead of using them from BB and using 'transport troops'. 

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 8
RE: WHY did the game do this ??? - 1/8/2010 9:25:04 AM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyros

The PBYs should have been placed at an airfield within range and set to pick up the troops.

You can also anchor an AVD or AV at Bora Bora to service the aircraft.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 9
RE: WHY did the game do this ??? - 1/8/2010 11:55:30 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishbed

is Bora Bora actually 0;0?

Bora Bora starts with port size and airfield size of 0. SPS values for both of these are 2.

Andrew

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 10
RE: WHY did the game do this ??? - 1/8/2010 12:47:20 PM   
John Lansford

The AI invaded Bora Bora in my CG; somehow they eluded my naval search planes at Suva, Wallis Island and Pago Pago and sneaked in a full battalion of troops.  The first time I realized they were there was when the invasion announcement showed up (I'd already moved the troops from there to Pago Pago).

I used their little excursion to provide some live fire exercise for a Marine regiment I had brought down to Pago Pago.  That little infestation is no more now...

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 11
RE: WHY did the game do this ??? - 1/8/2010 2:17:20 PM   
myros

Personaly I just send in an amphibious TF and pull the troops out to Suva or some other base.
Only amphib TFs can load troops from size 0 'ports', troops need to be in combat mode to be picked up ie not packed in strat mode.

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 12
RE: WHY did the game do this ??? - 1/8/2010 4:07:44 PM   
jhdeerslayer

I visited Bora Bora on my honeymoon many years ago. An absolutely wonderful place. Topless beaches, low crowds, endless beaches and very exotic. Probably more developed these days... Anyway, there are still a few guns emplaced towards the top of the volcano that is the trademark of this island. I never visited them though as we did other things during our stay. There is a small outer island by the reef (called a motu) that had their only arifield., This airfield was built during WWII and now used for tourists.

So there are a still a few remains of the old days there...

(in reply to myros)
Post #: 13
RE: WHY did the game do this ??? - 1/8/2010 6:04:58 PM   
morganbj

By the end of 42, I always send five or six CB units to the French posessions in the SoPacific to build bases, Bora Bora being one of them.  I always start there and Tahiti, and then move them to any base that can be a size 10 or more when fully developed.  They yield more points for me that way, and provide alternate bases to store supplies and fuel, so that my stockpiles are spread out a little.  It comes in handy when the IJN surprises me with a Foray onto Christmas, Noumea, etc., and they seldom see much sub action.  (I hate losing TKs and AKs to subs.)  I have enough CB units to do that pretty easily by June or July 42.  Three of them can build up a base to maximum in a few months without much trouble.

(in reply to jhdeerslayer)
Post #: 14
RE: WHY did the game do this ??? - 1/8/2010 9:08:21 PM   
FAdmiral

I am going to send an AVD and 2 APs to Bora Bora with a Amphibious mission in hopes I can rectify
this situation. I had thought you had to have APAs to do that type of mission and they don't arrive in
the game till 1943 sometime. I tried to get the PBYs to pick up the troops from another base but the
"pick up troops" mission was greyed out. I don't mind doing regular micromanagement in the normal
course of the war but dropping off 2 troop units on an atoll with absolutely nothing there to support
them is a little much !!!

JIM

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> WHY did the game do this ??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI